Home
Posted By: 69sportfury TBAC Ultra 5 6.5 - 03/28/23
Don't own any cans at the moment, but found a deal on a 6.5 Thunderbeast ultra 5.

Can get it for 750, plus the tax man. Would prefer a 30 cal can, but tempted.

Have a 6.5 700 ADL that it would probably find a home on and occasionally my Ruger Precision Rifle at the range.

I understand its not the quietest can out there, but would be used mostly for hunting from a blind.

Opinions?
Posted By: Jackson_Handy Re: TBAC Ultra 5 6.5 - 03/28/23
TBAC would tell you to get the ultra 7...
Posted By: SFCSNOW Re: TBAC Ultra 5 6.5 - 03/29/23
It’s an investment that will last a lifetime. Spend the extra and get the 7 in 30cal. WAY more versatile and you’ll be much happier.
I’m waiting on my 9 to be approved.
Posted By: BigDave39355 Re: TBAC Ultra 5 6.5 - 03/29/23
I was in your shoes last year…

Decided on a 9” .30 cal for my first.

Versatile and quiet. I hunt from stands so the length wasnt an issue for me.

TBAC has some good youtube videos, actual comparisons and not a pr marketing type video.
Posted By: JohnBurns Re: TBAC Ultra 5 6.5 - 03/29/23
Originally Posted by 69sportfury
Don't own any cans at the moment, but found a deal on a 6.5 Thunderbeast ultra 5.

Can get it for 750, plus the tax man. Would prefer a 30 cal can, but tempted.

Have a 6.5 700 ADL that it would probably find a home on and occasionally my Ruger Precision Rifle at the range.

I understand its not the quietest can out there, but would be used mostly for hunting from a blind.

Opinions?

Used the Ultra 5 for lots of hunting and it's quiet enough.

Game reaction is the same as with the Ultra 7 or 9 but better handling.

Ultra 7 and Ultra 5.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
Posted By: 69sportfury Re: TBAC Ultra 5 6.5 - 03/29/23
Thanks John

Not quite in the current budget, but think the one I found isn't going anywhere.

TBAC7's are around 1100 now, plus the tax stamp.

This one is 700, plus the tax stamp.

Would prefer the 7 .30 cal, but 400 bucks is a decent savings. Would be happy if it took the crack out of the shot.
Posted By: TRnCO Re: TBAC Ultra 5 6.5 - 03/29/23
I've got the Ultra 7 that I use on 3 rifles and honestly wish I would've gone with the Ultra 9. Yeah the 7 is good, BUT my ears are ringing all the time as is and they seem to be more sensitive to loud gun shots now then they ever were.
I compare my .22 cal. SAS on all my small rifles to what my .30 cal 7 Ultra does and it makes me want quiet, like my small calibers are.

You ain't going to notice 2" difference on the end of the gun while hunting. So I agree with the others, save a little longer if ya have to and get the .30 cal to start with
Posted By: Kaleb Re: TBAC Ultra 5 6.5 - 03/30/23
69 you might take a look at the harvestor evo. I have two of them and love them. A good friend is waiting on the TB 7 and I’m waiting on a nomad ti but don’t have them yet to compare the evo’s. I use the EVO from 17wsm to 300win and I’m very pleased.
Posted By: taylorce1 Re: TBAC Ultra 5 6.5 - 03/31/23
Thanks John

Not quite in the current budget, but think the one I found isn't going anywhere.

Would prefer the 7 .30 cal, but 400 bucks is a decent savings. Would be happy if it took the crack out of the shot.

You're going to have to wait 9 months give or take to get a suppressor, so how long will it take you save up the extra $400? It'll cost you more in the long run when you realize you should have got a .30 cal can to start with, and you purchase one after awhile anyway. I see a 6.5 cal Ultra 5 as a more specialized use suppressor.
Posted By: JohnBurns Re: TBAC Ultra 5 6.5 - 03/31/23
Thanks John

Based on having used the Ultra 5/7/9 I would pay more for the 5 if that was how pricing worked.

It's a better hunting can.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
© 24hourcampfire