Home
Posted By: Partsman New Ruger in 270 - 04/01/23
Just purchased another rifle at auction: non-Restricted - Ruger M77 in 270 Win - This bolt action rifle with floor plate magazine appears to be in good to very good working order. Barrel is 22", rifling is good to very good, bluing is good as it is starting to turn grey, has no sights but has integral bases, stock is good to very good, rubber butt pad good. Ser # 74-00533 about 1979 in 270
Unfortunately they sanded the whole stock including checkering, which was not mentioned in the listing, glad I have two or three brand new stocks.

It otherwise is in good shape and rifling looks good, will throw a 4-12 scope on to try.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: Orion2000 Re: New Ruger in 270 - 04/01/23
Shame they sanded the stock. The stock pictured actually has very good grain flow through the wrist...
Posted By: Partsman Re: New Ruger in 270 - 04/01/23
Yep, it is an alright job but the checkering needs to be brought back, but I do have other stocks, so I could practise on this one and see how it would work out, never tried checkering.
Posted By: texken Re: New Ruger in 270 - 04/01/23
trigger job? every one I encountered triggers were horrendous
Have to measure it, but did not feel too bad.
Have always adjusted the Rugers triggers myself, so will see where this one is today.
Posted By: hotsoup Re: New Ruger in 270 - 04/01/23
a fine rifle, one that was made for hunting. i used one like in alaska for several years. enjoy it.
So trigger is around 4 1/2 LBS and feels good, but may still lighten it, I usually like 3 1/2 depending on caliber, 2 1/2 on varmint rifles.

But think this one will do, I have had a Browning BBR in 270 for years and like it, recently got the Ruger No 1 in 270, now have this one.

Decided I will start out with trying a 3-9 scope on it.
Posted By: Partsman Re: New Ruger in 270 - 04/04/23
So cleaned her up and there is some pitting in the bore, so scrubbed with JB paste, some wire brushes and will have to wait to see how it shoots.

I think it may be alright, but will see when I try 130, 140 and some 150 grain bullets, grand slams, Hornady, Speer, sierra and Noslers.

I think I even have fail safes, Berger and some Barnes to see what it likes.
Posted By: 01Foreman400 Re: New Ruger in 270 - 04/04/23
Nice rifle. Glad you can make it work. I just haven’t had any luck with correct descriptions on used guns at auctions so I quite buying them.
Yep, some are not as stated, have to be careful and in this case they said all was good to very good.
I sent an e-mail to voice my opinions and give feedback, especially on stock condition, a blind man can see it had the checkering sanded down and lots of varnish applied, it was not in good to very good condition, would not be a collectible rifle.
Will make a good working rifle, need to see how it shoots.
Will close on go gauge, but not on no go gauge, so headspace checks out.
Posted By: Partsman Re: New Ruger in 270 - 04/06/23
Well the auction house gave me back 75.00 due to the issues I mentioned, so that was nice.
Posted By: Odessa Re: New Ruger in 270 - 04/09/23
My first high-power hunting rifle was a M77 270 WIN made in 1978. I still have it and it has always been a dependable rifle. Several years ago Sturm-Ruger had a recall on this era due to a set screw in the trigger. It was a free repair, they mailed me the screw and instructions and I installed it myself. I have forgotten all the details, but it is something you may want to check on. Mine is most accurate using a 140 grain bullet (I use an Interlock).
Posted By: Partsman Re: New Ruger in 270 - 04/11/23
Yes, I got a bunch of those screws and ended up only doing one and leaving the rest alone.
Had them for years, not sure if I will ever do anymore.
© 24hourcampfire