Home
Years back I bought a 700 BDL 20” barrel, 30-06.
It’s been a good gun and it’s accurate.
My only issues are that when you go to work the action, it feels like the spring is Twice as had as it should be, and it’s “tough” to close the bolt.
Hope I’m describing this well, the damn bolt is just a bear, noticeably more effort to open, and close.

I want to eliminate the the shroud, and get rid of the the j-lock, and then I’m thinking I can just replace the spring while I’m at it. The bolt spring, firing pin spring.

Anybody have familiarity with this, will this fix do what I want it too?
I replace a few back in the j-lock days. I want to say I generally just bought the Callahan total replacement units.

If you have another LA 700, you could remove it's firing pin assembly and install it in the 30-06 to verify that it is indeed the spring that's the problem. You are likely right in your assumption though.
Looks like Midway has new PTG total replacement units for $75.
F—-k! That’s a great idea.
Thanks Jpro

I definitely don’t want to waste money doing trial and error.
Do I want the traditional, Non ISS one?
Yeah, the non ISS is going to be sans wart and wonky spring.
Thanks man, looks like I’m dialed in,
Very grateful!!
You bet! The ISS was a terrible and short-lived idea. Glad it is gone.....
You can also get one from Gre-Tan Rifles. Greg Tannel builds some really great rifles and also has various model 700 parts. IMHO his replacement firing pin assembly is a bit nicer than the PTG ones and cost about the same.

https://www.gretanrifles.com/product-page/rem-700-fluted-steel-short-f-p-assembly-matte-black
Gre-Tan Rifles still in business? Been trying for more than two years to have a bolt bushed, no luck and no response to my communication.
Don’t buy a “lightened” pin or an aluminum one.
Originally Posted by Oregonmuley
You can also get one from Gre-Tan Rifles. Greg Tannel builds some really great rifles and also has various model 700 parts. IMHO his replacement firing pin assembly is a bit nicer than the PTG ones and cost about the same.

https://www.gretanrifles.com/product-page/rem-700-fluted-steel-short-f-p-assembly-matte-black

+1!
If you haven’t already pulled the firing pin assembly out of the bolt, when you do, you’ll see the kinked up firing pin spring that sometimes binds inside the bolt.
© 24hourcampfire