Home
Today was Monday Gunday, so I headed to the range with a new-to-me Winchester Model 70 Super Grade in 7mm Rem Mag. I'd loaded up some 140 grain Barnes TTSX bullets for it with a max charge of Retumbo.

I must admit to being impressed. The rifle shot well, about 1" groups at 100 yards. This was the first time I'd shot those 140 grain TTSX bullets.

Was pleased to see a mv of 3302 fps! I figured 3200 - 3230 fps would be max.

The rifle is new to me and of recent manufacture. I can't find fault with it. Shoots fine. Functions 100% and looks great doing so.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Am looking forward to hunting with it.

Regards, Guy
Lots of stuff out there to choose from……but, pretty hard to beat a Model 70. Although……that’s too pretty to hunt with! 😉 memtb
What's that schidt hanging out over the ejection port?
Nice rifle,glad she's doing good for you.She's a beauty for sure.
The 7mm rem mag ain't no good...
3300 with a 140. Well that's good enough for me. Nice rifle by the way. Your gonna love that gun.
Isn’t it likely that your load is giving rather high pressure as well as high velocity? Hodgdon’s data with Retumbo falls well short of your numbers. If your barrel is very long, then this may not apply.
Man that’s a beauty Guy. 3302 is sizzling, that’ll put meat in the skillet this fall.

What tags did you draw?
Nice stuff Guy. I’ve been waiting to see you warm that rifle up a little bit.

That 140 TTSX at 3300 should be a do it all load too. I may have to give that load a try in my 7 Rem Mag as well. I don’t think much would stop it.

That’s a beautiful rifle.
Originally Posted by WMR
Isn’t it likely that your load is giving rather high pressure as well as high velocity? Hodgdon’s data with Retumbo falls well short of your numbers. If your barrel is very long, then this may not apply.
I noted that too... Just me, but I'd drop that down 200 fps.. You actually might find better accuracy too, or not, but I'd give it a shot (PUN)!..
Guy,
A review on Ultimate Reloader?
I've tried and tried to shoot a one hole group with my SG, but never have. It's quite frustrating.

Very nice!
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
I've tried and tried to shoot a one hole group with my SG, but never have. It's quite frustrating.

Looks like dead critters and a good shooting rifle from where I'm setting.
Oh hell yes👍👍👍
Very nice.
I saw a Super Grade in 308 at a gun shop in a small town in Missouri. Pricey but it was a thing of beauty. I asked him if he took AR's in trade and his response was not encouraging. I guess I need to come up with another plan.

kwg
That rifle is, well Super.
I use the 140 ttsx and Retumbo in my wifes 7mm Rem mag.
I need to run it over my chrono. I est the velocity at 3000 fps and it shoots little groups at 200. She shot a deer at 642 one shot and it worked well. I took the rifle to Saskatchewan where the bullet worked as it should
I was in a local store yesterday and Retumbo was on the shelf. I just opened a 8 pounder recently so I have little need for it.
Beautiful rifle that deserves to be hunted. I've got a SG in 270win and I hunt it just like the others. Go out and kill some deer and an elk with that rifle. You'll be glad you did.
Originally Posted by DigitalDan

This is an old thread, but I'll bite. Dan, is that a 25-06?? I've been messing with a new 25-06, but it's not that accurate. Ruger #1, but I digress. You guys trying to get your supergrades to shoot well, Good luck. A new winchester model 70 of mine:

1953 STD grade:

5 shot group:
That is a very nice group indeed, but 55gr of H831, my guess you're barely breaking 2900 fps
A few years ago a cheapo 700 SPS 7 mag with a26” barrel followed me home from a local gun shop. Loaded it with 140ttsx over imr7977. It’s getting right at the same velocity and great accuracy. Now that 7977 is no longer available I might try some retumbo. I shot 5-6 deer with it since then. It definitely works! Hunt that old girl! I’m sure you’ll be pleased with the results.
© 24hourcampfire