Home
Posted By: BMT Measure Length of Pull - 11/16/02
HI Guys:
<br>
<br>This is my first visit to this forum. I would like to measure the "Length of Pull" on my rifle. But I can't determine what two points are measured. I am a tall shooter and always add to the length of pull of my rifle (usually with a slip on recoil pad).
<br>
<br>But I spend a lot of trial and error time.
<br>
<br>ANy help would be appreciated.
<br>
<br>BMT
From the trigger to the end of the stock.
<br>
<br>Welcome aboard!!
<br>
<br>Mike
Posted By: Cheaha Re: Measure Length of Pull - 11/16/02
You are correct Sir!
<br>
<br>Brownell's sells spacers that can be added to lengthen the length of pull to fit your particular build.
Posted By: Deputy_Norm Re: Measure Length of Pull - 11/17/02
ROTR,
<br>
<br>How do you determine what LOP a person needs?
<br>
<br>For example my new M70 13-1/2" LOP. It seems to the short side but feels pretty good but how do I know it's right for me?
<br>
<br>Thanks, Norm
I've always set the rifle in the crook of my elbow and stuck my trigger finger on the trigger. If it sets with the pad of the finger comfortably on the trigger, without being bent up or down, it works for me. There must be a better way... Maybe someone more knowledgeable will chime in? VB
Posted By: AFP Re: Measure Length of Pull - 11/17/02
Norm,
<br>
<br>You want it far enough back so the scope doesn't nail you in the eye (scopes with long eye-relief are more forgiving here), but short enough so you can work the bolt with the rifle shouldered. That would be ideal.
<br>
<br>Blaine
Posted By: Deputy_Norm Re: Measure Length of Pull - 11/17/02
Blaine,
<br>
<br>Thanks for the explanation. It makes sense.
<br>Since proof is in the pudding, it won't be until I shoot the rifle that I am sure. But I can leave the rifle shouldered, cycle the bolt and still see though the sight.
<br>
<br>Additionally the rear of the scope is still some distance from my eye.
<br>
<br>If I get a break in the weather tomorrow, I'll at least get a sighting shot or two through the M70.
<br>
<br>Did someone call the Winchester a Mauser close? Well he was right. [Linked Image]
<br>
<br>Thanks again,
<br>
<br>Norm
Posted By: memtb Re: Measure Length of Pull - 11/17/02
BMT; I'am not sure if this is the answer to your question but, it's a rule of thumb that I use. Try and simulate the clothing thickness that your most likely to be wearing for the majority of use to be seen by the rifle. In other words, a summer varmint rifle may have a longer LOP than a winter hunting rifle. That said, I prefer to have a rifle a little short on LOP rather than long on LOP. -memtb
Posted By: Big Stick Re: Measure Length of Pull - 11/17/02
I'm of the same opinion. A tad short is easy to deal with,but a long stock really slows me down.
<br>
<br>Trial and error/pickin' and choosin' is the only true way to find happiness. Try to grab hold of as many different patterns,in differing lengths as you can. It is amazing how a subtle change in either,can promote such a dramatic change in feel.
<br>
<br>Were I to hedge a bet,it would be on the short side...................
Posted By: Cheaha Re: Measure Length of Pull - 11/17/02
memtb brings up an excellent point of winter clothes vs summer clothes. It makes a difference in your LOP.
Posted By: avagadro Re: Measure Length of Pull - 11/18/02
My local gunshop has a "length-o-pull" meter. It basically anchors in the crook of your elbow and measures to your index finger. Just like VB explained.
<br>
<br>George
<br>
Posted By: BuckHunter Re: Measure Length of Pull - 11/18/02
I go just the opposite for all the obvious reasons, you would want to error on a LOP just a bit long.
This may sound sort of silly but the easiest way I have found is to just shoulder a yard stick as if it was a rifle. Hold it where you are comfortable and where ever your index finger crooks is the length of pull.
<br>
<br>BCR
Posted By: BMT Re: Measure Length of Pull - 11/18/02
Thanx to all who responded. I will use this information in the purchase of my next rifle (very likely to be a Stainless Guide Gun in 45/70).
<br>
<br>BMT
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Measure Length of Pull - 11/19/02
The length of the arms, shooting finger, etc are not in anyway useful in determining LOP. Cast (off or on), drop, comb thickness and height and sight center height all affect the correct measure. In a natural stance, typically off-hand, an adjustable stock is adjusted until the shooter's eye is centered in the sights with the head upright and cheek pressed and placed against the comb.
<br>
<br>Every item affecting the LOP has consequences, for example, high scope rings raise the shooter's eye, and shorten the required LOP.
<br>art
Posted By: memtb Re: Measure Length of Pull - 11/19/02
BuckHunter, I'am working nights and it's now 02:45 so bare with me a bit. But, I think you lost me. Help! -memtb
Posted By: BuckHunter Re: Measure Length of Pull - 11/21/02
When you are properly fitted with a "fine" shotgun you will notice that the LOP is longer than that of the traditional american rifle. Why do you suppose that is done for a gun this is predominantly shot via the instinctive method. So you can get on your shot quicker and more accurately, very important in the dangerous circles (duh). Besides you can allways take a bit more off to make the fit better, you can't put more on unless your taste go for that little white spacer stuff that the Weatherby fans ltend toward.
<br>
<br> Spaulding
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Measure Length of Pull - 11/21/02
BuckHunter
<br>Welcome! Have not seen you post here before.
<br>
<br>You are almost entirely correct about the why of the longer LOP on a shotgun, but more exactly it is because the sight plane is very low, your face must be DOWN on the stock and stretching your neck out a bit causes that to happen... lower the center of the sights and something has to happen somewhere to accomodate the difference.
<br>
<br>I hate that white stuff, too!
<br>art
© 24hourcampfire