Home
Posted By: Fotis Any Barnes X failures? - 10/25/23
Before we start I will state that this question is for specifically for the TTSX and LRX ONLY! Not the older X and not the TSX.

Now, what kind of performace on game have you been getting?
Posted By: Bearcat74 Re: Any Barnes X failures? - 10/25/23
TTSX has been stellar for me on whitetails

80ttsx - 243 win
130ttsx - 30-06

Guys I talk to and hunt with have used

140 ttsx - 7RM
130 ttsx - .270 Win
150 ttsx and 180 ttsx - .308, 30-06 and 300 WM

No issues
Posted By: Blacktailer Re: Any Barnes X failures? - 10/25/23
Flawless on hogs, deer and elk. I've even wasted a few on prairie dogs and coyotes. This with TTSX, have some LRX loaded but haven't used them yet.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Any Barnes X failures? - 10/25/23
Originally Posted by Fotis
Before we start I will state that this question is for specifically for the TTSX and LRX ONLY! Not the older X and not the TSX.

Now, what kind of performace on game have you been getting?

Never a failure, nothing but stellar performance from my little cf .22s on deer, antelope and hogs. Superb accuracy as well. I keep notes in my loading book, 70+ kills with the little Barnes.
Posted By: Fotis Re: Any Barnes X failures? - 10/25/23
Thank you gents
YES! One time the bullet completely missed the deer! Lol!
But no, the 120gr TTSX from my 7mm-08 have done irreversible damage to the deer shot with them.
Posted By: John55 Re: Any Barnes X failures? - 10/25/23
Used the 168gr TTSX in my various 300 mags since they hit the market, several elk and deer taken with zero issues. Also have friends using them in 30/06 and 300Wby with same results. I’ve never used a bullet I like any more than the TTSX.
One of the best bullets ever made, is the 200 grain .358 TTSX.

Cut a 200 grain ttsx in half and compare it to other Barnes bullets in the 30 caliber territory.

What you'll see Is a GIGANTIC cavity and plastic tip that is much larger than the smaller calibers. This large cavity and plastic tip initiates expansion even down to 1400 fps.

With repectable sectional density, and BC, they bring the little 358 winchester or the Whelen into extended range territory, increasing the versatility of the .358 cartridges. The recoil feels like 180 grain from a 308 winchester, so lots of great practice. I drive them to 2700 fps from a 20" barrel using rl 10x.

Pastor Rob from Dillingham shot a nice bull moose at 400 yards with a mild whelen load. The other more expanded bullet was a finishing shot to the neck of the downed bull:

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: Swamplord Re: Any Barnes X failures? - 10/25/23
couple nice bull moose with the 180 gr TTSX in 300 RUM, bullets exited but ganked them in their tracks

190 gr LRX in 300 RUM vs 8 ft griz, 13 yards full charge, 1st shot square in the chest, turned and dropped him, was back on his feet broadside as I worked the bolt and shot him through both shoulders, shot turned him in the opposite direction and he tried to scramble away, 3rd shot directly in the back, broke his spine but still alive as I ran up to him and sent a 4th shot to the base of the skull and blew his neck bones to slivers

all 4 shots exited
Posted By: Calvin Re: Any Barnes X failures? - 10/25/23
129 LRX out of the 270 likes to kill stuff. Great performance. I've had good luck with all ttsx bullets.

I have 250LRX loaded up for my 338 WM I am itching to run through a big bear. My kootznoowoo plans got derailed last spring but it's on this spring. It's a long bullet.
Posted By: RinB Re: Any Barnes X failures? - 10/25/23
I have used perhaps 100 of the .277 129 LRX and 100 of the 130 TTSX all at MV of around 3100 on African plains game from Impala to Eland. Many Wildebeest, Zebra, Oryx, and Kudu.

Results very consistent. Will penetrate around 35” of meat and ribs. And around 30” of front leg bone and meat. Animals run 30-50 yards…kaput (sp). No down and out unless spine or CNS hits (those are very rare for me).

.375 250’s work very well on Cape buffalo. My first choice.
Nope, no failures. Just swift killing, and picture perfect bullets on ones recovered(if the critter holds em.) I like the TTSX so much, it is the only big game rifle bullet I load and use anymore…except for some .45-70’s still loaded with Hornady Interlocks. 😎👍
Posted By: lotech Re: Any Barnes X failures? - 10/25/23
I've only recovered one TTSX from a mature 6x6 bull elk , a 150 grain fired from a .308 at 175 yards. 100% weight retention with the four petals peeled back very uniformly.
Posted By: memtb Re: Any Barnes X failures? - 10/25/23
Not yet….though I haven’t shot anything with my LRX’s yet! A couple of coyotes, antelope and elk have met their demise after being introduced to a 250 grain TTSX! I don’t recall any of them having any complaints! memtb
Posted By: EdM Re: Any Barnes X failures? - 10/25/23
Nope.
Posted By: Taco2fiddy7 Re: Any Barnes X failures? - 10/25/23
Used the 145 LRX on about 8 deer and one elk, have only recovered one. Shoots small groups and puts game down fast. This is the only one recovered, impact velocity ~2370

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
Posted By: jeffbird Re: Any Barnes X failures? - 10/26/23
The TTSX 130 @ 3100 from a .308 Win is what I use most of the time for deer and pigs, well into the hundreds of animals now if pigs are included. They have been incredibly effective and consistent. Thoroughly impressed with the results. Zero failures.

Also, the .264 100 TTSX works well in a .260. A nephew shot two pigs with one shot. The little 100 grainer went through two and exited the second. I have used the 120 TTSX on deer and pigs and it works well.

I used the .308 165 TTSX from a .300 Win Mag to take a Scimitar Horned Oryx cull bull, which is over a 400 pound animal. It punched through and put it down with authority.

I lent that rifle to a young man, who shot an even larger bull through the shoulders and the 165 again exited.

I was not happy with the TSX, but the TTSX has proven itself to be a very reliable and effective bullet.
Posted By: JakeM78 Re: Any Barnes X failures? - 10/26/23
None for me, TTSX, TSX, X, and XLC.
Posted By: CRS Re: Any Barnes X failures? - 10/26/23
No

My son and I have used the 130gr TTSX on antelope, deer, and one elk.

I have used the 0.277 cal 155gr LRX on an elk and antelope this fall.

I am working up load right now for the 129gr LRX in my Model 70FWT. Finally bought some LRX's after I used up the last of the 130gr TSX with the older, sleeker ogive. Expect to have zero issues with them.
Posted By: dave7mm Re: Any Barnes X failures? - 10/26/23
270 STW running the 130g TTSX at 3600.
Longest shot so far 377 yards.
Some closer .
On deer.
Always an exit .
Always a DRT.
Dave
No complaints here.
All mulies and whitetails hit with a 120 TTSX out of a 7-08, or 100 TTSX from a 257 Robts required zero tracking so far. Have yet to recover one...all pass throughs.
Posted By: drano 25 Re: Any Barnes X failures? - 10/26/23
Killed 3 deer with a 139 LRX at 2900 fps from a 7-08. All close range, <100 yards. The 3rd was a whitetail buck. High shoulder shot, broadside. Not perfect placement, maybe 1.5 - 2”, back. He dropped at the crack of the rifle, which was my intent. Massive damage behind the entrance but, to my surprise, no exit wound. The other two exited with sizable holes. It caught some scapula and spine, but I still would have guessed the solid base would have exited even if it shed the front petals.
Posted By: Dre Re: Any Barnes X failures? - 10/26/23
It is My main elk medicine!

Here is link to a deer I shot with 270, 130 ttsx . Turned his heart into burger.
Spike bull with entry and exit, 06, 168ttsx.
Only bullet I ever recovered , and that is because it was a finishing shot on a bull I shot at very close range in the neck and he was looking at me when I walked up the him. Dug out the bullet out of dirt.. It lost a pedal against cobble stone looking rock.

https://imgur.com/a/9agcR4H
Posted By: haverluk Re: Any Barnes X failures? - 10/26/23
Shot a cow Roosevelt elk a couple weeks ago with a 175 LRX at 2860 from a 30-06 at 60-70 yards. No fuss or low drama. My first lead-free kill. I am glad it worked but still skeptical as it is a sample of one.
Posted By: Jason280 Re: Any Barnes X failures? - 10/26/23
Good to hear, I'm planning on trying some 110gr .30 cal TTSX bullets in a 14" .30-30 T/C Contender.
Posted By: lone wolf Re: Any Barnes X failures? - 10/26/23
I have had great luck with the 30cal 168 ttsx and 175 LRX out of 30-06 300wsm and 300 Win mag 3 moose 2 Elk and 2 whitetail all bullets exited. The last moose I shot with 06 175 LRX went down like it was struck by lighting. Great bullet!
Posted By: ttpoz Re: Any Barnes X failures? - 10/26/23
The TTSX's have worked well for me on coyotes to bull moose out of a 270. Watched my brother take a medium sized bull elk at 315 yds with a 130 gr TTSX out of a 300 WSM a few weeks ago. We have lots of great bullet choices in our day. The TTSX is certainly one of them. I've got a decent load worked up with the 127 gr LRX for my 6.5 Manbun. Hope to give it a real world test soon.
Posted By: himmelrr Re: Any Barnes X failures? - 10/26/23
This is good to hear. I have an elk hunt coming up in 2025 and my kids are both using their 7mm-08 rifles. I just bought some 139gr LRXs to load up for them.

I have a lot of confidence in Barnes stuff. The only one I had that disappointed me was a 6mm 85TSX that came apart at 3300fps. It was a VERY close shot. The broken pieces still penetrated to the heart and killed the deer quickly. Even that was not a failure IMO.
Posted By: VaHillbilly Re: Any Barnes X failures? - 10/26/23
TTSX bullet failures? You will search far and wide before you find any, this is IMO the best hunting bullet ever made. I have used this bullet for many years and on game performance or at the bench have always been stellar.......Good hunting...Hb
Posted By: jorgeI Re: Any Barnes X failures? - 10/27/23
TTSXs, there's simply none better...I use them in every caliber except my 450NE (just not proper ol' Boy). Superb accuracy and performance.
Posted By: badger Re: Any Barnes X failures? - 10/27/23
I have used them in various calibers from .224 to .375, both TSX's and TTSX's. Have yet to be disappointed and haven't lost an animal when using them yet. Unlike some cup and core bullets, you don't need to avoid bone. In fact, when driven at appropriate speeds, they are more effective when taking out bone structure.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Any Barnes X failures? - 10/27/23
Nope.

Have used the 100-grain .25 TSX more than any other, but also the 127 6.5 LRX, 130 .270 TTSX, 140 7mm TTSX, 130 .30 TTSX, 175 .30 LRX and 250-grain 9.3 TTSX.
Posted By: TrueGrit Re: Any Barnes X failures? - 10/27/23
I shoot the Barnes LRX and TTSX in 4 different calibers. Very happy with the results on game and targets. The only problem I had was it took me awhile to find the right combination in my 243ai and 223ai. After finding the accuracy that I expected all is good. I used the high end of the Barnes recommended load data for 300WM and 280Rem and both were one and done.
Posted By: 8MMX57JS Re: Any Barnes X failures? - 10/27/23
I've come around late to copper bullets, I've used middle to heavy for caliber cup and core most of my life. If it ain't broke don't fix it mentality but I wanted to spice things up a few years back so I bought some TSX bullets and so far things look very promising. 180gr TSX in my 8x57. 2780 fps out of a 22inch barrel. Been happy with the performance on the handful of game Ive taken with them. Recovered one, shot into a large bodied mule buck. 178 yards, shot under its chin into its chest. Dropped the buck on the spot.
I also have a pile of 160gr TTSX that I also plan on working up a load. 2900-3000 fps seems doable based off quick load.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Posted By: Riflehunter Re: Any Barnes X failures? - 10/27/23
I shot through approx. 5 inches of bone with a .338 225 TTSX at just over 150 yards at a muzzle velocity of around 2950 fps. The TTSX lost all its petals but expanded to .516 inches at its widest and weighed 144 grains, which is 64% weight retention.
Posted By: crittrgittr Re: Any Barnes X failures? - 10/27/23
Sample of one, 30-06 with a ttsx. No bullet recovery, exited the left front shoulder quartering away.

Posted By: GRF Re: Any Barnes X failures? - 10/27/23
No;

I’ve used:
6.5 mm 120 TTSX 129 Lrx
7mm 120 ttsx 140 ttsx
.375 270 lrx

Loaded for others with no complaints .243 85 ttsx

From whitetail to Cape buffalo

In my humble and limited experience I believe the TTSX solved the few minor problems that existed with the TSX

I find the two easiest bullets to reload are the TTSX and Nosler BT
Posted By: Brad Re: Any Barnes X failures? - 10/27/23
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
TTSX bullet failures? You will search far and wide before you find any, this is IMO the best hunting bullet ever made.

Well, respectfully, not so sure about all of that. There are a LOT of great hunting bullets, and TTSX's certainly fail.

Below is my TTSX failure; .308/150 TTSX. Hit the shoulder of an elk at 70 yards, didn't expand, tipped, penetrated forward and was found backwards under the hide on the off side.

Having said that, I still think the TTSX/LRX is a very good bullet and would not hesitate to use them in the future (just not this particular batch of 150's). I've come around to the argument against lead and in favor of an all-copper bullet for health and the environment. And in that context, I doubt there is a better mono.

Posted By: RinB Re: Any Barnes X failures? - 10/27/23
Brad
I have had the old 130 .277 TSX bullets bend the nose over on several animals but that problem has never occurred since the plastic tipped TTSX was introduced. In all cases those TSX bullets impacted at quartering angles.

I have never heard of the larger diameter (.358 or .375) TSX bullets doing that.
R
Posted By: Brad Re: Any Barnes X failures? - 10/28/23
Originally Posted by RinB
Brad
I have had the old 130 .277 TSX bullets bend the nose over on several animals but that problem has never occurred since the plastic tipped TTSX was introduced. In all cases those TSX bullets impacted at quartering angles.

I have never heard of the larger diameter (.358 or .375) TSX bullets doing that.
R

This was a straight-on, non quartering shot.
Posted By: RinB Re: Any Barnes X failures? - 10/28/23
Brad
Have you gotten your elk with that lw 6.5?
Performance?
R
Originally Posted by RinB
Brad
Have you gotten your elk with that lw 6.5?
Performance?
R

Rick our season only started Saturday, and I've only hunted one day with it. I'm pretty relaxed about hunting elk these days, and pick my days carefully and sparingly, so I'm not sure how much I'll even hunt. So, we'll see.
Posted By: beretzs Re: Any Barnes X failures? - 10/28/23
What are you using for a bullet in the 6.5 Brad?
Originally Posted by beretzs

130 NAB, but had I been able to find the 127 LRX I would have been happy to use that. No time for load development, I threw one load together, sighted at 200 yards, and called it good. But I've got a pile of 6.5 bullets to try.
Posted By: beretzs Re: Any Barnes X failures? - 10/28/23
I was wondering. That’s a great bullet and for some reason always seems to shoot as well in a few 264’s for me.

I don’t see it doing less than what a 270 has been doing for years.
Posted By: pabucktail Re: Any Barnes X failures? - 10/28/23
I use or have used TTSXs in 6mm, 6.8, .308, 9.3, and .416 diameters. Never had a failure on game. My only complaint is they’ve often been finicky to find an accurate load with. One nice thing about Barnes is if you’re looking for a certain bullet you can call and they’ll tell you when it’s scheduled for production, which certainly helps with planning. They’ll also tell you the MEV (min expansion velocity) for each bullet. They ought to just list that on the bullet boxes though.

If Nosler keeps up their scalper pricing and spotty availability I’ll be using a lot more Barnes products. What’s in the water in Oregon? Leupold sucks now and Nosler seems headed that way.
Posted By: Taco2fiddy7 Re: Any Barnes X failures? - 10/28/23
Today's 145 LRX on an elk at 433, quartering shot. Retained weight 143.9

Posted By: jeffbird Re: Any Barnes X failures? - 10/29/23
Here is one of three TTSX’s I have recovered out of scores of deer and hundreds of pigs. A nephew shot this buck that was 210# on the scales facing him at a slight angle. The entrance was on the front edge of the near side shoulder. The bullet was found under the hide of the offside rear quarter. Here it is as it is being cut out.

Been shooting Barnes bullets and killing critters with them for 18 years now. Over 100 deer, hogs and coyotes in that time. Never once had a failure. I’ve only found 1 bullet and that was from a 250 gr. T-EZ muzzleloader bullet which performed flawlessly. I load them for numerous guns and calibers. I’m a fan of them.

Posted By: TheKid Re: Any Barnes X failures? - 10/29/23
I never had an issue with the 168 TSX out of the 30/06 or the 200 TSX in the Whelen. Both worked great the half dozen times I used them. The 350 TSX was also excellent at 2550fps when I was shooting the 458WM a bunch.

I have a much wider experience with the 53gr .224 out of the 223 and 222Mag, probably around 40-50 pigs and deer. Never had one I felt like didn’t expand or failed in any way, recovered very few and those had worked as designed. But they give very narrow wound channels compared to my experience with conventional cup and core bullets from the same cartridges and rifles. I’ve found them to be slower killers than cup and cores on animals up to 300lbs unless large bone is hit. I’m not likely to buy any more as they don’t fill any need for me.
Posted By: ldg397 Re: Any Barnes X failures? - 10/29/23
I have never recovered a ttsx out many 7 mag 150’s. Never had a failure but had a weird occurrence one time. Deer hunting and a lone coyote ruining my hunt gave up on the deer hunt and decided to get revenge. Shot him broad side 150 yards. The fur blew up like I shot a dove super close. Furr everywhere of course couldn’t find the bullet. Not sure if he turned his face in front of bullet and it went down the length of the skull and then through the body. I didn’t see that in the scope but the body wound wasn’t clean entrance and exit either. Maybe the skull shaved off a petal or something.

Like I said not really a failure he was dead immediately but strange.
Posted By: bwinters Re: Any Barnes X failures? - 10/29/23
Originally Posted by Brad

130 NAB, but had I been able to find the 127 LRX I would have been happy to use that. No time for load development, I threw one load together, sighted at 200 yards, and called it good. But I've got a pile of 6.5 bullets to try.

I hope you get a bull - I'm curious how that bullet works on elk. I picked up a 6.5 earlier this and it likes various 140s but can't find any more 140 ABs.
Posted By: Brad Re: Any Barnes X failures? - 10/29/23
Originally Posted by bwinters

I hope you get a bull - I'm curious how that bullet works on elk. I picked up a 6.5 earlier this and it likes various 140s but can't find any more 140 ABs.

Hi Bill, you can find 140 AB's here:

https://www.shootersproshop.com/6-5mm-140gr-accubond-50ct-blem.html
Posted By: MarineHawk Re: Any Barnes X failures? - 10/30/23

A .338 225gr TTSX. This wasn’t a failure. It was the third in about as many seconds to strike the moose in my avatar. Impact velocity (out of a 26” barreled .340 Wby) was around 3,040 fps.

This is the same bullet next to a .243 recovered from a Virginia deer:

The first two TTSXs went through about 4 feet of moose and exited.

The one in the pics went through about 5 feet of moose, entering in the right-rear rib area and and ended up smashing through the front-left shoulder and stopping under a considerably-thick hide before coming to rest.

For reference, the rifle is just a hair under four-feet long.

That 225gr TTSX now weighs 196gr. So, it lost about 13% of its mass. So, TTSXs can be recovered and will shed a little weight if they go through an extreme amount of meat and bone.

FWIW, I’ve been told that the rifle/bullet choice wasn’t that great because I “had” to shoot it three times.

In hindsight, after the subsequent skinning and butchering autopsy, I am fairly confident that the first shot would have brought the moose down. But I wasn’t 100% sure where I hit it at the time, as the moose was running. And I wasn’t going to save ammo and risk that dinosaur getting away as long as it was still on its feet.
Great moose MarineHawk! I used 250gr TSX's from my 338 Win Mag with excellent results, pretty much all of them DRT! But never had a beast like that in front of me, very nice!

I use TSX, or TTSX, in multiple calibers, from coyote to moose, and have never been disappointed with the bullets.
Posted By: ldmay375 Re: Any Barnes X failures? - 10/30/23
Originally Posted by MarineHawk

A .338 225gr TTSX. This wasn’t a failure. It was the third in about as many seconds to strike the moose in my avatar. Impact velocity (out of a 26” barreled .340 Wby) was around 3,040 fps.

This is the same bullet next to a .243 recovered from a Virginia deer:

The first two TTSXs went through about 4 feet of moose and exited.

The one in the pics went through about 5 feet of moose, entering in the right-rear rib area and and ended up smashing through the front-left shoulder and stopping under a considerably-thick hide before coming to rest.

For reference, the rifle is just a hair under four-feet long.

That 225gr TTSX now weighs 196gr. So, it lost about 13% of its mass. So, TTSXs can be recovered and will shed a little weight if they go through an extreme amount of meat and bone.

FWIW, I’ve been told that the rifle/bullet choice wasn’t that great because I “had” to shoot it three times.

In hindsight, after the subsequent skinning and butchering autopsy, I am fairly confident that the first shot would have brought the moose down. But I wasn’t 100% sure where I hit it at the time, as the moose was running. And I wasn’t going to save ammo and risk that dinosaur getting away as long as it was still on its feet.

Outstanding moose. And, I would consider that bullet performance also outstanding.
I shoot them until they fall, regardless of bullet or the cartridge that it was sent from.
Posted By: kappa8 Re: Any Barnes X failures? - 10/31/23
Originally Posted by Taco2fiddy7
Today's 145 LRX on an elk at 433, quartering shot. Retained weight 143.9

143.9 retained vs 145 gr "rated" weight. Curious whether 143.9 shouldn't be considered 100% weight retention if the bullet came in a little on the low side (0.75% lower than 145.0 gr).

Either way, great bullet & great performance!
Posted By: kappa8 Re: Any Barnes X failures? - 10/31/23

Terrific moose MH!! Quite jealous here. Returned from our Wawa, Ontario moose camp empty handed last week. Other two hunters in our group saw two bulls 600 yards off, but they didn't come in any closer to present a shot. Yours is a beast! What did it measure?
Posted By: beretzs Re: Any Barnes X failures? - 11/01/23
Originally Posted by bwinters

I'd wonder if the 140 BT's won't work great. Pretty tough 264 bullet in my opinion.
Posted By: Rustyzipper Re: Any Barnes X failures? - 11/01/23
X
Posted By: MarineHawk Re: Any Barnes X failures? - 11/01/23
Originally Posted by kappa8
Terrific moose MH!! Quite jealous here. Returned from our Wawa, Ontario moose camp empty handed last week. Other two hunters in our group saw two bulls 600 yards off, but they didn't come in any closer to present a shot. Yours is a beast! What did it measure?

Thanks kappa, Idmay, and Dean. That was nine years ago. So, the glory has faded, though it still guards my front doorway.

It scored 229-1/4 B&C.

IIRC, we measured its extreme spread at around 71” on the day of its demise. After drying out, the B&C guys measured it as 69”.

We recovered around 1,150 lbs of meat on the bone. Most of that went to an Anchorage charity. The backstraps weighed around 25 lbs apiece. Those were tasty.
Posted By: Bearcat74 Re: Any Barnes X failures? - 11/01/23
Originally Posted by kappa8

Thanks kappa, Idmay, and Dean. That was nine years ago. So, the glory has faded, though it still guards my front doorway.

It scored 229-1/4 B&C.

IIRC, we measured its extreme spread at around 71” on the day of its demise. After drying out, the B&C guys measured it as 69”.

We recovered around 1,150 lbs of meat on the bone. Most of that went to an Anchorage charity. The backstraps weighed around 25 lbs apiece. Those were tasty.

Unbelievable, absolutely unbelievable.
Posted By: Bearcat74 Re: Any Barnes X failures? - 11/02/23
I picked up some 180 ttsx for my 358 win. Totally unnecessary for whitetail but they shoot great and I don’t figure on a failure. Hopefully I get a chance to test them.
Posted By: hotsoup Re: Any Barnes X failures? - 11/02/23
I hope the 130gr ttsx out of a 270win is sufficient for elk. I just checked the zero on my 270win and leave next Tuesday for new Mexico.. I've taken many with 150gr partitions, but this will be my first with a Barnes.
Posted By: memtb Re: Any Barnes X failures? - 11/02/23
Originally Posted by hotsoup
I hope the 130gr ttsx out of a 270win is sufficient for elk. I just checked the zero on my 270win and leave next Tuesday for new Mexico.. I've taken many with 150gr partitions, but this will be my first with a Barnes.

Provided that, you stretch the range too far and your impact velocity drops to a point at which expansion is “iffy” and you put the bullet where it needs to go……you should do just fine!

Good Luck on your hunt! memtb
Posted By: VernAK Re: Any Barnes X failures? - 11/02/23
[quote=hotsoup]I hope the 130gr ttsx out of a 270win is sufficient for elk. I just checked the zero on my 270win and leave next Tuesday for new Mexico.. I've taken many with 150gr partitions, but this will be my first with a Barnes.[/quote

I've killed a few moose with em. If you're loading, take a look at RL16. I used for 4831s for a half century but much prefer RL16.
Posted By: captjohn Re: Any Barnes X failures? - 11/03/23
165' in the 30 caliber magnums, 120's and 127's in the 6.5 guns, and 180's in the 358 norma, pure death to anything it encounters, put the sneak within 150 yards last week of a montana mule deer, one 165 thru the neck with the 308 norma mag. and it was looking for a spot to collapse. The 180 in the 358 norma are devastating on pigs, hold the front third of the pig touch trigger dead pig. I now have 200 grains for 358 wsm they have yet to encounter meat but will shortly can't imagine any less whallop
Posted By: Taco2fiddy7 Re: Any Barnes X failures? - 11/03/23
Both 145 LRXs, both from this year and the only two I've recovered.

Left elk, 433 yards... Right deer, 466 yards.
Retained 143.9gr... 144.2gr
Expanded to .583"... .575"
Impact ~2380 fps... ~2340 fps

Posted By: Fotis Re: Any Barnes X failures? - 12/19/23
Thank you all
Posted By: Taco2fiddy7 Re: Any Barnes X failures? - 12/19/23

150ttsx from a 308
Posted By: Igloo Re: Any Barnes X failures? - 12/19/23
Originally Posted by captjohn
put the sneak within 150 yards last week of a montana mule deer, one 165 thru the neck with the 308 norma mag. and it was looking for a spot to collapse.

I sure hope so! lol
Posted By: TrueGrit Re: Any Barnes X failures? - 12/20/23
The bullet on the left weighed 156.9gr, the bullet on the right weighed 154.1gr. Honestly I'm not sure which bullet was shot at 628yds and which one was shot at 614yds. Both bullets were fired from 300wm rifles starting at 3250fps. The Burger app says the bullets should of been over 2000fps at 600yds. They worked but I don't think a 168gr Barnes TTSX is a very good long range elk bullet. Personally I
don't think that one bullet can do it all.
Posted By: Sakoluvr Re: Any Barnes X failures? - 12/20/23
Barnes says 1500 fps for the 168. I think what they consider expansion and what hunters want are 2 different things. I would not shoot my .30-06 past 400 yards on a Elk with one. MV is 2850 fps.

My son shot a mature cow with it last week at 350 yards and it worked really well.

At 350 yards impact velocity is 2160 fps

At 400 yards impact velocity is 2072 fps.
Posted By: MadDog4298 Re: Any Barnes X failures? - 12/20/23
I bought 100 of the .284 150 grain TTSX a couple years ago and just got around to working a load up for them this fall. It was the most accurate bullet I have ever shot through this particular 7rem mag. I shot 1 deer with it and it was in a bad spot if it ran because it was at the edge of a hell hole so I shoulder shot it and it punched a hole clear through and dropped it on the spot. I was pleasantly surprised at the lack of blood shot meat. When the times comes I will rib poke one and see what the tuff bullet does there.
Posted By: Teeder Re: Any Barnes X failures? - 12/20/23
Originally Posted by TrueGrit
The bullet on the left weighed 156.9gr, the bullet on the right weighed 154.1gr. Honestly I'm not sure which bullet was shot at 628yds and which one was shot at 614yds. Both bullets were fired from 300wm rifles starting at 3250fps. The Burger app says the bullets should of been over 2000fps at 600yds. They worked but I don't think a 168gr Barnes TTSX is a very good long range elk bullet. Personally I

I wonder if the 175LRX would be better at range?
Posted By: jmp300wsm Re: Any Barnes X failures? - 12/21/23
I have killed a semi load of critters with Barnes. Started with the old X bullet and they fouled and had crazy pressure. The TSX with the grooves came along and I used a bunch and NEVER had a failure as far as I know as I only recover a couple of them and they were perfect. The TTSX are really accurate and open at much lower velo. Yes I am a fan. YMMV
Posted By: WAM Re: Any Barnes X failures? - 12/21/23
Ditto. I’ve killed a dump truck load of critters with Barnes TSX and TTSX 7mm and .308 caliber bullets. Never lost an animal and never recovered a bullet, either. Those who say otherwise have either never used them or didn’t hit a vital zone. Usual Fire bullscheit.
Posted By: TrueGrit Re: Any Barnes X failures? - 12/21/23
Originally Posted by Teeder

I wonder if the 175LRX would be better at range?
Of course it would, a 190LRX will be even better if there's enough velocity at the target for the bullet to open? Been happy with Barnes bullets and still are. But the lack of expansion at longer ranges is a little troubling.
Posted By: WAM Re: Any Barnes X failures? - 12/21/23
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
Barnes says 1500 fps for the 168. I think what they consider expansion and what hunters want are 2 different things. I would not shoot my .30-06 past 400 yards on a Elk with one. MV is 2850 fps.

My son shot a mature cow with it last week at 350 yards and it worked really well.

At 350 yards impact velocity is 2160 fps

At 400 yards impact velocity is 2072 fps.
With due respect, I’m not sure anyone should be shooting a .30-06 at any game animal past 400 yards?
Posted By: chamois Re: Any Barnes X failures? - 12/21/23
I have only had one pencil through in a behind-the-shoulder shot at a broadside roedeer buck at 245yds shot from a 6,5x57R at 2,935 fps.
I can tell because my Bavarian Mountain Bloodhound retrieved it after a long and difficult tracking job.
Otherwise, I have never ever had one fail.
I do not shoot speedy magnums and favour the use of the LRX because it seems to open wider at longish, lower speed impact, shots.
I have recoverd a few and while most of them look book perfect, in my experience that is not and indication of how fast a bullet kills.
Posted By: jk16 Re: Any Barnes X failures? - 12/21/23
Originally Posted by WAM
With due respect, I’m not sure anyone should be shooting a .30-06 at any game animal past 400 yards?

You are joking, right?
Originally Posted by jk16
Originally Posted by WAM

You are joking, right?
Just a opinion, everyone has one.
Originally Posted by Taco2fiddy7
Both 145 LRXs, both from this year and the only two I've recovered.

Left elk, 433 yards... Right deer, 466 yards.
Retained 143.9gr... 144.2gr
Expanded to .583"... .575"
Impact ~2380 fps... ~2340 fps

Those recovered bullets are a fine example of what a big game hunter needs. Weight retention and expansion to about twice the original caliber.
Posted By: Fotis Re: Any Barnes X failures? - 12/21/23
I am slowly gravitating to LRX and Hammers only for most of my BG rifles.
Posted By: Whelenman Re: Any Barnes X failures? - 12/21/23
I’ve never recovered any, and the deer were right where I shot them.
Posted By: OGB Re: Any Barnes X failures? - 12/21/23
I have questions........

It seems Xs thrive on speed. This has been somewhat mitigated with the TTSX and further with the LRX. Yet I see many here using them in much slower and larger bore cartridges such as the 9.3 and 375.

Is there a "line" somewhere with bullet diameter where the nose cavity is made larger to more dependably expand at moderate speed or is it that these cartridges are (typically) used at shorter ranges?

I'd like to come up with a load with either the 168TTSX or 175LRX for my 30-06. Be it known that I'm not interested in shooting at animals much past 400yds. (It is a good thing to know your own limitations and be honest with yourself)

Not an attempt to stir the pot, just honest questions.
Posted By: Sakoluvr Re: Any Barnes X failures? - 12/21/23
What do you plan on shooting?
Originally Posted by OGB
I have questions........

Is there a "line" somewhere with bullet diameter where the nose cavity is made larger to more dependably expand at moderate speed…?
Yes, the .338”+ bullets seem to have a larger meplat and opening.

If I were you, if I could find a good load with the 175 LRX I’d go with that.
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
What do you plan on shooting?

My 30-06 is pretty much my "go west" rifle so mule deer and elk. At just past a half century, I'm finally able to do these hunts.
Posted By: beretzs Re: Any Barnes X failures? - 12/21/23
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Originally Posted by OGB
I have questions........

Is there a "line" somewhere with bullet diameter where the nose cavity is made larger to more dependably expand at moderate speed…?

I was thinking the same. Might as well get all the advantage you can.
Originally Posted by OGB
I have questions........

This is where I was leaning. Plan on using the MD prescription of Ramshot Hunter. Seems like an awful good combo.
Originally Posted by OGB
I have questions........

I was thinking the same. Might as well get all the advantage you can.

Oh, and I ask about the other two as I have a 9.3X62 I'd like to introduce to a Nilgai and a 375R that may eventually make it after M'bogo.

Just curious about the TSX vs TTSX in these. I've read multiple threads with a great deal of firsthand experience and want to put my best foot forward so to speak.
Posted By: JGRaider Re: Any Barnes X failures? - 12/21/23

You got any 6.5/7mm accubond or ballistic tips you want to get rid of?
Posted By: Fotis Re: Any Barnes X failures? - 12/21/23
Originally Posted by JGRaider

You got any 6.5/7mm accubond or ballistic tips you want to get rid of?

Not really.
Posted By: Taco2fiddy7 Re: Any Barnes X failures? - 12/21/23

If you want Barnes and long range I'd go with the LRX.
Posted By: Blacktailer Re: Any Barnes X failures? - 12/22/23
Only Barnes I have recovered from game. 130TTSX from 270Win. MV 3070fps cow elk at 310 yards last Monday.
Compete failure, she had the temerity to stagger 20 yards before she keeled over.
My good friend shot them(308) for the 21-22 season. Lost 2 good bucks due to zero expansion and little to no blood trail from shoulder hits. He will NEVER use them again.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Any Barnes X failures? - 12/23/23
Originally Posted by The Happy Kaboomer
My good friend shot them(308) for the 21-22 season. Lost 2 good bucks due to zero expansion and little to no blood trail from shoulder hits. He will NEVER use them again.

This is great stuff.

But I gotta ask, how did he know there was zero expansion when he didnt recover the deer?
Posted By: jk16 Re: Any Barnes X failures? - 12/23/23
Originally Posted by Blacktailer
Only Barnes I have recovered from game. 130TTSX from 270Win. MV 3070fps cow elk at 310 yards last Monday.
Compete failure, she had the temerity to stagger 20 yards before she keeled over.

20 yards?

That arrogant b*tch.

Lol..

Seriously, though..Where was the shot placed?
Posted By: LOBO2 Re: Any Barnes X failures? - 12/23/23
30-06 130 gr TTSX deer
7-08 120 gr TTSX two deer
.300 WSM 168 gr TTSX

Only deer that ran was the one shot with the .300 WSM and it only went about 30-40 yards. I believe light for caliber weights are way to go with the TTSX against whitetails.

Chris
Posted By: Swamplord Re: Any Barnes X failures? - 12/23/23
Originally Posted by Blacktailer

Dude, y'all got the audacity to come on here and use them big words ain't no one here knows
Posted By: JDK Re: Any Barnes X failures? - 12/23/23
My daughter-in-law has killed 2 deer with 85 grain TTSX from her 243. Both exiting and both deer went a grand total of 10 yards after being shot. Granted they were shot at typical Maine distances of 30-40 yards

In my mind both were a total failure. There was no fuss or drama The deer died within feet of being hit. The drags were downhill. Totally ruined my days all around. What kind of fun is that?
Posted By: lone wolf Re: Any Barnes X failures? - 12/23/23
Originally Posted by ingwe

This is great stuff.

But I gotta ask, how did he know there was zero expansion when he didnt recover the deer?

Would love to no the answer to this also. I have had great luck using tsx ttsx and lrx on moose elk and whitetail. Never had to track any of them!
Posted By: Teeder Re: Any Barnes X failures? - 12/23/23

.308 win, or .308 cal bullets?
Which bullets and what was the range?
Details man, we need details!
Posted By: JimH Re: Any Barnes X failures? - 12/23/23

This,plus pictures of entry and exit wounds showing point of entry and proof of zero expansion. Is it possible point of intended entry and actual entry weren't the same?
Posted By: Teeder Re: Any Barnes X failures? - 12/23/23
Originally Posted by JimH

This,plus pictures of entry and exit wounds showing point of entry and proof of zero expansion. Is it possible point of intended entry and actual entry weren't the same?

Probably won't get those. He lost the bucks.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Any Barnes X failures? - 12/23/23

Conveniently....
Posted By: Ready Re: Any Barnes X failures? - 12/26/23
After reading this thread, me thinks, it is safe to say, they have the TTSX dialed in.

Which will probably mean, they will start messing with it again, soon.

Leaving good stuff alone and just keeping it on shelfs - say, here is a thought...
Posted By: WAM Re: Any Barnes X failures? - 01/14/24
I guess the 175 gr LRX I hit a buck with last week was a complete failure to open up a big exit wound and pump a huge blood trail. He went 22 paces and piled up. No blood trail just a dead deer. I’ll continue to tolerate that type of bullet performance.
Posted By: WAM Re: Any Barnes X failures? - 01/14/24

Most likely because he didn’t fuggin hit them anywhere! LOL
Over 125 critters killed with them and I’ve yet to have a negative experience.
Originally Posted by 01Foreman400

I’m about exactly in that camp
Originally Posted by pathfinder76
Originally Posted by 01Foreman400

I’m about exactly in that camp
Same here. I think I’m just over 160 now, and my worst experience was a doe that ran 150-200 yards before piling up, with a great blood trail. But that was my fault as POI was too far back and clipped the rear of one lung.
Posted By: Burleyboy Re: Any Barnes X failures? - 01/14/24
Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak
One of the best bullets ever made, is the 200 grain .358 TTSX.

Cut a 200 grain ttsx in half and compare it to other Barnes bullets in the 30 caliber territory.

What you'll see Is a GIGANTIC cavity and plastic tip that is much larger than the smaller calibers. This large cavity and plastic tip initiates expansion even down to 1400 fps.

With repectable sectional density, and BC, they bring the little 358 winchester or the Whelen into extended range territory, increasing the versatility of the .358 cartridges. The recoil feels like 180 grain from a 308 winchester, so lots of great practice. I drive them to 2700 fps from a 20" barrel using rl 10x.

Pastor Rob from Dillingham shot a nice bull moose at 400 yards with a mild whelen load. The other more expanded bullet was a finishing shot to the neck of the downed bull:

I'm tempted to try those in my 358. I was looking more at the 180 ttsx because I prefer to run lighter on monos. What's the concensus on the 180 vs the 200?

Bb
Posted By: DLALLDER Re: Any Barnes X failures? - 01/15/24

If you like the solid copper bullet. You need to try the Lehigh Defense bullets, the wife and I are using the 155 TXC and the 155 and the 155 TME. We are using them in 308 Win 20 in barrels.

These bullets kill, if you do your part you don't have to track animals
. Bang Flop.
Started using the tipped MRX when Barnes first came out with it. Switched to TTSX when they came out and started using LRX as well since they came out, rifle/cartridge dependent. That makes 18 years I and members of my hunting group have used tipped X bullets on antelope, mulies and elk.

No failures, no recovered bullets, no lost game, 50% straight-down DRT and longest 'tracking' job was maybe 60 feet across open land.

Have driven two lengthwise through mule deer with exit, 300WM/180gr, both 400 yards. Not surprisingly, they both died in their tracks. Very happy with the TTSX and LRX.
Posted By: las Re: Any Barnes X failures? - 01/22/24
120 TSX in my .260 won't go under 6" or so. Does that count? smile

140s C&C shoot MOA, so I guess it's the twist. I can live with that. About a dozen caribou, an elk, and a wolf couldn't.
© 24hourcampfire