Home
Some of the fellas and I have decided to officially form the Elmer Fudd Society dedicated to a staunch group of hunters. You get your patch to the club when you have shot a deer with your 30-06 and rn 180 grain bullets. Blue and walnut need only apply!

Welcome Fuddy Duddys!
Does an old-style semi-pointed Silvertip 180 gr factory load launched from a Win 54 with 2.5x Hensoldt in a G&H side mount count?

Or maybe it deserves extra credit.
Is there a 170 gr 30/30 category?
I only shot one deer this year, a fallow down in Texas but I did it with an '06 and a 180 gr Hornady bullet! Wood and blue!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Originally Posted by bluefish
Some of the fellas and I have decided to officially form the Elmer Fudd Society dedicated to a staunch group of hunters. You get your patch to the club when you have shot a deer with your 30-06 and rn 180 grain bullets. Blue and walnut need only apply!

Welcome Fuddy Duddys!

I'm definitely a Fudd.

Will a 180 gr. Sierra Spitzer qualify?

Quien Sabe,

GWB
I am a conflicted Fudd....
The majority of my rifles are blue & wood Mausers and Pre64 M70's, yet a few have fast twist barrels....
And then there is this thing called a Springfield waypoint, with carbon barrel , stock etc.... shooting VLD bullets that snuck into my safe.... I don' t know whether to schit or go blind..... frown
The first 25 years of my deer hunting was done with a Rem 760 30-06 with a 2x7 Weaver in swing-off mounts, well that is not exactly true the first 3 years are so was iron sights, all with 180gr round nose or 220 round nose (just because).
I earned that patch back in the '80's with my Remington 760 carbine and 180 gr. RN Core Lokts.
Flashing blue light Fuddalert on aisle 3 in the classy- frieds. A guy, 'mistem' has hunnerts of Hornady 8mm 170 roundnoses for cheap.
Real Fudds have a garage bubba 98 in 8x57...right?

Welcome Fuddy Duddys!

I'm not there yet. But will be working to accomplish it as a bucket list thing I wanted to do anyways.

I could post plenty of variations....... 30-06, Blued & walnut, 180 gr bullets, but not that list with 180 grain RN.
Originally Posted by irfubar
The majority of my rifles are blue & wood Mausers and Pre64 M70's, yet a few have fast twist barrels....
And then there is this thing called a Springfield waypoint, with carbon barrel , stock etc.... shooting VLD bullets that snuck into my safe.... I don' t know whether to schit or go blind..... frown
I recommend farting and closing one eye.

kwg
Originally Posted by kwg020

kwg
At your alls age farting is a hell of a gamble!!
Why limit yourself to varmint weight bullets? 220s or none at all!
Yup ------- a few of them. With Remington Core-Lokts, WW Power Points, a few Sierra Pro Hunters and Hornady Innerlocks.
And from 3 different 30-06 rifles too, all of which were carbon steel and walnut.

Add to this list a number of kills on deer, antelope bear and elk with other rifles with various RN bullets cements my place in the "Society" firmly.
From 25 caliber up to 458.
I will remain Pre Fudd…

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

LOL! I'm qualified in spades!

My "newest" cartridge is the 25-06, and I still use 180 rn in a .308W and my '06 quite a bit.

I'm actually considering selling off a couple rifles or three blued/wood to fund a semi-custom build I'd shoot more.
Shrapnel...your rifles are simply amazing! I love looking at them!
Great thread, and I hope that Shrapnel keeps posting! His rifles are as beautiful as they come, and he has a ton of great stories behind just about every last one! His custom Sako collection is incredible!

I have found a new way to enjoy the cold! It keeps me on this digital platform more than most other times. Summer-fall, I'm too busy to get on here!

Regards,

Shortside
Guess I qualify as a fudd. Early on my deer hunting was with an older Winchester M94 chambered to the 30-30. Later went to a badly bubba'd 1903 Springfield 30-06 which I probably used more than anything else for a very long time. I did pick up and play with other rifles and cartridges over the years and only very briefly owned an MSR. I doubt it lasted 6 months before sending it down the road. Played with various eight bullets in the 06 and many times used 180 gr. round nosed bullets. For a fairly long time did my hunts with Ruger #1 rifles using various chambering. Most of my rifle collection are made with wood and steel with only four rifles having synthetic stocks. Only one rifle is stainless steel. I'm currently using two rifles, one in 7x57 and the other in .35 Whelen. Back up to either rifle is usually a Mauser actioned 30-06 with 180 gr. bulleted loads although the last time I used a 165 gr. Accubond that served quite well on a nice cow elk. Time frame from 1975 to 2008 I used single shot rifles, usually Ruger #1s ot a Browning B78. of which I have only one. BTW, it's a 30-06.
PJ
I had a good supply of 175gr RNs for my faux Rigby 275 and was fully looking forward to shooting them with glee but overlooked the match reamer chamber spec I requested for the rifle and found that they had to be seated too deep to use in that rifle. That gun has decided to like 120gr NBTs instead.

For my 300H&H and 30-06, I had 400pcs of 220gr RNs that would not shoot well in either rifle. I traded them for equal an amount of Speer 180gr Grand Slams.

Other Fudd guns include a 20ga SxS, a couple older 222s and a 760 in 30-06.

This Browning/Sako Safari in 222 is the latest Fudd gun to land here.

I recently acquired an M77 30‘06 for just such fun, hell I even bought a waxed cotton, plaid lined gun case for it, and a leather and cotton sling.

Off to watch some Red Green
My proposal is to submit some patch ideas and once agreed upon we can talk about getting a bunch. Rather than use past heroic deeds to qualify, all prospective Society members need to shoot a deer beginning this upcoming fall with 180 rn in their 06. And in case there is question as to the requirement it is because it arose from the ongoing M70 thread in this forum. Heck, once you’ve been made a Society member shoot what you please but the point is to keep the old classics alive and kicking. My Fudd rifle is in pieces but will be going to the shop of Matt Roberts for final assembly. Fudd on!
No club membership for me I'm a believer in shooting a 165gr bullet in the 30-06.
Here's a bit of a Fudd gun. It's an '03 Springfield with Fajen stock that I gifted to a Fudd bud. He loves it. Barrel is dated 1942 and is pristine. It shoots as good as his new M-700. He's killed a bunch of stuff with it.

I had David Christman, Delhi, LA, fit a bolt handle and a safety. He blued the bolt handle, the rest is original finish.

Not a M-70 but a walnut and steel Fudd type 30-06 rifle. BTW, it has a Timney. Bud wanted his Leopold scope mounted; it replaced the Bushnell shown.

Below are some photos before I fixed it for scope. I removed and polished the end of the barrel where the military sight was.

This is what it looked like when I bought it in 1973 for $74.00 at a Hdw store in Shreveport. Sold the Lyman sight on EBay.

DF

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com][Linked Image from i.imgur.com][Linked Image from i.imgur.com][Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
I guess I got a swing and a miss. I sighted this one in with 165's. Pre-war model 70 with a 2.5X Lyman Alaskan in Stith mounts.

Great thread.
Nice gesture Dirt and a great Rifle also!

HS 58
Maybe offer suitable substitutions,

Like all the above but the bullet was a Spitzer.....

HOWEVER,

done while still hunting while wearing a plaid Filson jacket....
Fud rifle ready! '55 Fwt aught-six with a fancy very-able scope! I kinda fancy my "Pre-Fud" rifles but I'll make exceptions to earn that patch!

WTH I guess I can't play as I sold off the Pre 64 70 collection except for a 270FWT, 358 FWT and a 7MM carbine. I have to admit to owning 4 stainless synthetic rifles but the other ones of which there are many (it's the loonie in me) are all walnut and blue. I like custom rifles and single shots in particular and in Fudd calibers such as 250/3000, 300 Savage, 300 H&H, 38/55, 405, 6MM ect. I have never warmed up to the 06 and I've owned a few. I much prefer my custom #1 in 300 H&H to the 06.
I might not make the Fudd club but I'll remain a crumudgeon.
Where do I send my check? I’m in. I’ve a number of 06’s filling the bill but a tricked up model 700 70’s vintage is a first grab favorite.

Osky
Ok
Originally Posted by GSPfan
WTH I guess I can't play as I sold off the Pre 64 70 collection except for a 270FWT, 358 FWT and a 7MM carbine. I have to admit to owning 4 stainless synthetic rifles but the other ones of which there are many (it's the loonie in me) are all walnut and blue. I like custom rifles and single shots in particular and in Fudd calibers such as 250/3000, 300 Savage, 300 H&H, 38/55, 405, 6MM ect. I have never warmed up to the 06 and I've owned a few. I much prefer my custom #1 in 300 H&H to the 06.
I might not make the Fudd club but I'll remain a crumudgeon.
Some Dem politicians can't seem to define a woman.

Hopefully defining a Fudd is easier than that. Go figure.

Being a crumudgeon for sure helps. Walnut and steel rifles, for sure. Having a Pre-64 has to count for something.

What is a Fudd round? For sure the old '06, no contest there. But what about others, like the .358 Win? Could it slip in thru the back door?

This rifle is sorta a wannabe Fudd, although not a full classic. It's a Pre-64 FWT that started out as a shot out .243, turned to a very accurate .358 Win by JES.

Stepchild Fudd, Fudd Light? Maybe?

DF

Cool old Springfield DF. I got the littermate to it, stock looks very close to the same. Mine got turned into a 35 Whelen.
Great rifles fellas!
Take a look at Dirtfarmer's old sporterized springfield above. I have it's twin brother, right down to the fajen stock. It wears an old Lyman 4X permacenter, barrel looks like a sewer pipe but it shoots minute of whitetail.
Originally Posted by bugs4
Take a look at Dirtfarmer's old sporterized springfield above. I have it's twin brother, right down to the fajen stock. It wears an old Lyman 4X permacenter, barrel looks like a sewer pipe but it shoots minute of whitetail.

Thanks, Bugs. This one has a pristine bore thru the Hawkeye, was obviously stored more than shot.

It'll easily shoot MOA with most rounds, better with those it really likes.

I'm amazed that an 80+ yr old barrel shoots as good as a new one.

I did glass and free float it back in the day. It was sitting in my gun room for nearly 50 yrs. Good bud was talking about wanting a Springfield, not knowing I had this one. I got it fixed up and gifted it to him.

He named it Dusty after Dusty Springfield, the singer. Now, that sorta dates him. He and ole Dusty are a dangerous combo. It's a good shooter and he's a good shooter, critters falling left and right, skinning shed staying busy.

DF
Originally Posted by model70man
Shrapnel...your rifles are simply amazing! I love looking at them!
Yeah, that boy got some pretty toys...

DF
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
This rifle is sorta a wannabe Fudd, although not a full classic. It's a Pre-64 FWT that started out as a shot out .243, turned to a very accurate .358 Win by JES.

Very Fudd! Very Nice!
Some of my likely contestants for the upcoming contest. A M50 FN Mauser. Have not shot it much, was 1 of my projects for this summer.

My late Father in law's 1969 M70. I kept it like he had it with the see thru mounts and killed 2 buck with it that way, but I've finally decided those have to come off. So if I use it, it will have a fresh set of bases and rings on it. Shoots everything tight including those 180 RN.

M7600 with a Skinner peep. Killed a deer this yr with it, shoots great, have not tried the 180 RN in it.

If bad weather, my ugly Betty. Military FN M98. Have other 30-06's but they wouldn't qualify for Fudd material. Ha.

As with all good things men, we should consider broadening perhaps our Fudd definition. I stand firm must be wood/blue. Caliber could be negotiable. Whether rn or sp, maybe cup and core should be our standard! Fudd on!
As with all good things men, we should consider broadening perhaps our Fudd definition. I stand firm must be wood/blue. Caliber could be negotiable. Whether rn or sp, maybe cup and core should be our standard! Fudd on!

Yep forgot about that when I added the ugly betty. Was just going down the list and adding old rifles. Wood and blue it must be, I agree! Maybe add/allow other weights besides 180 RN would be my suggestion in case people have or run across other weights, but not 180 RN. But keep it RN would be my suggestion!
I like this competition trying to out Fudd each other I’ll try to post pictures I have cards to play.
I finally belong somewhere!! No ‘06 with RN bullets but 250-3000 with old 100 grain core-lokts, .257 Roberts with 117 grain, 30-30 with 150 grain, .30-40 Krag with 220s, 35 Remington and .358 Winchester with 200s, .35 Winchester with 250s, 9.3x57 and 9.3x62 with 270s and 286s, 45-70 with 350s, 400s, and 500s. Many more to try out so I’ll keep Fudding along.

PennDog
I’m applying for associate membership, based on a pre-64 FWT .30-06 with 180 spire points, and a pre-64 FWT .308 with 180gr yellow box (w/bear) silvertips, 180 gr. Hornady RN and Speer 165gr. RN. I have several Stoemy Kromers and Bean Maine Hunting shoes. Is that Fudd enough?

Old70
I qualify and then some - three different walnut and steel rifles all spitting 180gr RN Corelokts accounting for multiple deer. Never camo - always plaid wool. But, I'm also, a recent apostate - 7PRC no less. You guys might not want me around. I won't give her up! laugh
I’m looking at various patches. Remember the qualifying deer entry must come from this upcoming season. New chapter boys! The SS and plastic may have its rightful place in the hunting world but we are defending the Old Guard! Fudd on!
Looks like the Fudd tent may be getting a bit larger and that’s not a bad thing. If it looks Fudd, feels Fudd, I’d say it was Fudd.

Black rifle generation probably thinks we’re nuts, anyway. I resemble that remark. Fudds do tend to stick to their guns.

DF
Damn! I do own a pre-64-06, but have no such ammo in the house and have never fired it. One of the few arms I purchased as an investment.

Is there a Fudd club for 6 or 7mm's?
You’re seeing it form before your eyes. We agree wood/blue. We started with rn bullets and a compromise position may be cup and core. The question is are you a Fuddy Duddy? Fudd on!
1962 Remington 742 30.06 carbine that belonged to my grandfather, then my father before me. The deer was killed with a 180 grain Remington Green box ammo.

[Linked Image]
Fudd power rules. Why not.

DF
Bluefish has set some narrow parameters. What about diversity, equity, inclusion?
I propose a sub category, to include .300, .303 Savage with round noses...but I suppose some village wit will want to call it...Fudd Light.
I sold my 30-06 to a buddy that needed a hunting rifle. I put the money I got for it towards a Savage 99F in .300 Savage like I always wanted. Would I qualify for the Fudd light catagory. I do have and wear a Stormy Kromer. Does that count for anything?
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Bluefish has set some narrow parameters. What about diversity, equity, inclusion?
I propose a sub category, to include .300, .303 Savage with round noses...but I suppose some village wit will want to call it...Fudd Light.
Ha!

Fudd Light. I get it.

I think the Fudd tent will adjust itself to accommodate various Fudds.

Don’t think Bluefish is thinking DEI; don’t see him being Woke.

DF
Hunted hard and don't remember anything ever getting away after the shot.
1990 PA Buck season. I used my Remington 760 30-06 and 180 grain Core-Lokt RN's to kill my first buck
Super Fudd; custom stock, Sako action, Lilja barrel, and the best part…

It is a 270 Winchester.

Originally Posted by shrapnel

It is a 270 Winchester.

Did you run those rifle specs by Ingwe?

DF

It is a 270 Winchester.

Lots of guys trying to come in the back door on this one
Originally Posted by moosemike

It is a 270 Winchester.

Lots of guys trying to come in the back door on this one
That is a nice trophy and Shrap is a good guy. So maybe his “gay” round works pretty well. Now is he a real Fudd or a wannabe?

Will need to take that up with the Fudd board of directors.

DF
Have a shortened Savage 99 .358 Winchester. It shoots 200 gr RN from Remington quite well. Most of my deer kills with that gun used that load. Not sure if a 1968 Savage 99 can make the cut. It is kind of new. Be Well Brothers, RZ.
Dang, so close. The first big game animal I shot, at the tender age of 44, was a mulie doe using a No. 1A in 30-06, but with a 180 Partition. Every animal I've taken in the 18 years since then has been with a single shot rifle, and nearly all with Partitions. I did take a 10-point whitetail with a Hornady RN from a No. 1B in 358 Win in 2022, but the other bullets were all pointy. I remain an aspiring Fudd.
Originally Posted by Astrodynamicist
Dang, so close. The first big game animal I shot, at the tender age of 44, was a mulie doe using a No. 1A in 30-06, but with a 180 Partition. Every animal I've taken in the 18 years since then has been with a single shot rifle, and nearly all with Partitions. I did take a 10-point whitetail with a Hornady RN from a No. 1B in 358 Win in 2022, but the other bullets were all pointy. I remain an aspiring Fudd.
IMO, you’re definitely accumulating Fudd points with the .358 Win.

And of course the old ‘06.

DF
More Fudd with a 257 Roberts…

How bout stubby fudds like 308
More Fudd with a 257 Roberts…

Mo better Fudd round.

Nice speed goat.

DF
Originally Posted by earlybrd
Nice trophy

SS/synthetic?

That’ll need to go before the board

DF

No Fudd zone, stainless and plastic are reasons for the appreciation of nice wood/blued steel…
Nice trophy

SS/synthetic?

That’ll need to go before the board

DF
Oops🤦‍♂️
The Fudd is strong already here. Me like!
Maybe I’m a Fudd. Prefer lead and Lord Black. And Flints.
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Maybe I’m a Fudd. Prefer lead and Lord Black. And Flints.
Maybe you like Shrap, professing to be “pre-Fudd” with his ancient ordinance.

DF
I wanna play.

If I take a deer with my dad's 'ol 740 30/06 with 180RNs, would that qualify?

He loved that rifle, and he called it "Lightin""....not because it was fast, but because it "never hit in the same place twice".

I loaded up some RN 180gr Hornys, and it grouped pretty dang well. Gotta take it out and give it a chance.
Sorry, my 06 wears plastic. Do have a Husky Crown Grade 308 from the mid 50,s, complete with a 40 year old box of WW 180 PP RN. Could even use it's open sights. Hmm, how about my 300 H&H? Have lots of 180 RN bullets. Hornady, Sierra, Speer, CIL, Hawk, Core Lokt, even some Finnish RN boat tails that a magnet will pick up. Have a dandy reduced power load right at 2700 FPS. Yep, with the Remington Round Nose. Even have a Fudd cap.
At 15, I shot my first firearm buck in MI. 700 BDL 30-06 bought with money from odd summer jobs. Ammo? The deadliest mushroom in the woods, of course! Rem Core-Lokt 180gr round nose. Pretty sure I was wearing Woolrich red & black plaid. Fuddy enough?
180RN Hornady out of my newfangled Savage repeating rifle here. Wool jacket and cap for added Fudd points.

Did kill my biggest whitetail buck with a factory 180 old style Silvertip out of my 1903 Springfield a long time ago but I don’t have a pic handy.
1-8 twist 416 Remington with 1000 gr custom slug.

Elmer Fudd used a double barrel shotgun.
Originally Posted by Blackheart

Got Wiley Coyote…

ol' Elmer seemed more like Jed Clampett than Thurston Howell III so it was probably a cheap one too. Maybe a Crescent or Stevens or J.C. Higgins. I doubt like hell he would've approved of a scoped .30-06 for hunting wabbits.
Old guns for wascally wabbits…

Rem 78 .30-06 180 grain Speer Spitzer

[Linked Image]
i would like to join. i had a Remington m700 Mountain Rifle (wood stock) in '06 and 180gr Remington RN factory ammo when i was 18yo. my dad (RIP) had (i have now) a Remington m760 in '06 with a ton of 180gr Rem RN factory ammo. my grandfather (RIP) had a Rem 760 in '06 (my oldest boy has it) with 180gr Rem RN ammo. my great grandfather (RIP) had a sporter 1898 Springfield Armory in 30-40 Krag that he handed down to my grandfather, who gave it to dad and now me.

i went thru the phase of having plastic stocks and stainless steel barrels, but i sold all of them off. now it is blued steel and wood stock. i have several of military sporters, Mausers, Carcano's, Arisaka's... and i have a old Remington m14 in 30 Rem, Husqvarna m46 in 9.3x57 and such.
Killed one with 150 RN from a 30-30, my first.

Several with 180 Pro Hunters from a 30-06.
No RN probably never will.
The rifle is a 760, that has to account for something?

I can't be a member, maybe an associate?
If somebody will sign me in I'll give them the money to buy a round!
I'm self-disqualifying myself. My only 30-06 is a SS / KS stocked Rem 700, shooting 168ttsx's.

Remington 7600 carbine with 180 grain Core-lokts (RN). Down to my last 6 cartridges and will be switching to Federal Blue Box which are more accurate in that rifle.
[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

P64 M70 270 Win get me in? whistle

My good buddy shot this bull with his P64 30-06 and 180 RNCL's while him and I were hunting in Wyoming.

Used my old Alaskan in the wood stock for a few elk... I was using a 210 PT for most, that's darned near a RN in todays bullets laugh

Used a blued/walnut Kimber this year for a buck.. Plain ol 200 grain Speers...

I was a Fudd and never knew it. I could probably fill a boxcar with the deer I killed with a Rem 742 and 180s.

....and not a single jamb.

I am a Fudd-alum. I hunted for 20 years with a Remington 742 in 30-06. A good part of that time, I was using Musgrave 180 grain RNs.

[Linked Image from genesis9.angzva.com]

However, my roots are in Ohio and I would agee with Blackheart that to be a true Buckeye Fudd, you need to shoot a 12 GA with slugs.

Here is my Buckeye Fudd gun.
[Linked Image from genesis9.angzva.com]

That's a Stoeger coach gun with Mauser rifle sights welded on. It eats Remmie Sluggers. My buddy, Bob, died with that in his inventory. I bought it off his widow. He called the gun Luigi, because it reminded him of the gunfight in Sicily during The Godfather.
The Fudd is strong already here. Me like!

Here in Canada and I suspect the US, the term "Fudd" can carry with it some negative connotation depending on how it's used.

While it's generally used the same as in this thread, it also can be used to identify a gun owner who thinks that only his style of fudd guns are the only ones out there that are worthy of ownership while anything stainless/synthetic is not, along with having a certain disdain for handguns or military style "assault" rifles. This term "fudd" would also signify an owner who would not support the legal ownership of handguns and semi-auto military rifles and would be pleased to see them banned. This type of person would be very rare here, but the term is more so used by internet Range Rambos who have a chip on their shoulder.

Originally Posted by Dillonbuck

Most certainly does, but you might be required to wear a wool green plaid hunting coat with it and claim to be from Maine. smile

I have taken a truckload of whitetails with a 7X57 Venezuelan M98 using 175 gr Hornady RNs. Maybe I can get an honorable mention Fuddism.
Originally Posted by SuperCub
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck

Most certainly does, but you might be required to wear a wool green plaid hunting coat with it and claim to be from Maine. smile

About 100 miles from Woolrich Pa, you know what my first deer hunting coat looked like. Bet Mom still has it, Dad used his until we bought him a modern hunting coat about 10 years ago. Loves the new one, still gripes about it not having the built in game bag to carry his lunch and gear.
Fudds coming out of the woodwork.

Don’t ya love it.

DF
Definitely in the Fudd camp, and proud of it.

[img]https://photos.app.goo.gl/a4HMMuDRzeLLDk4i7[/img]
I submit this as a Fudd gun. Ruger #1 in the Fudd caliber of 300 Savage. I shot a deer with it using 150gr RNSP
If I complete my membership application by using iron sights do I get an oak leak cluster to hook onto my patch?

Haven't connected with this one yet, but not for lack of trying. (Original 1929-vintage Springfield M1903 NRA Sporter. Bought from the grandson of the original owner who carried it on his annual pilgrimages to Kodiak Island in the 1930's. Supposedly accounted for more than a few bears so it definitely has good ju-ju for at least a couple more run-of-the-mill whitetails back East here.)
Fudd Nation.

Is there any other kind????
[quote=bluefish]Some of the fellas and I have decided to officially form the Elmer Fudd Society dedicated to a staunch group of hunters. You get your patch to the club when you have shot a deer with your 30-06 and rn 180 grain bullets. Blue and walnut need only apply!

Welcome Fuddy Duddys![/quote

You must be one of those guys who likes tattoos, duck lips , skinny bitchs .
Elmer would get more rabbits with this Parker VHE 28 guage [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Elmer would get more rabbits with this Parker VHE 28 guage [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Nice SxS .... I had a similar Parker Repro in 20ga a few years ago. It was going to be my life long bird gun but couldn't hit squat with it. Sold it and bought an SKB M100 20ga. It is quite a step down from the Parker, but at least I have a chance at downing grouse with it.
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
If I complete my membership application by using iron sights do I get an oak leak cluster to hook onto my patch?

Haven't connected with this one yet, but not for lack of trying. (Original 1929-vintage Springfield M1903 NRA Sporter. Bought from the grandson of the original owner who carried it on his annual pilgrimages to Kodiak Island in the 1930's. Supposedly accounted for more than a few bears so it definitely has good ju-ju for at least a couple more run-of-the-mill whitetails back East here.)

That sucker is cool!
I'm not sure a true Fudd would be sporting some of the expensive custom guns I see in this thread.

I think he's more of an "off the rack, run of the mill" gun kind of guy. Just sayin'. smile
He's gained some class over years LOL
He's gained some class over years LOL

As have we all!!
A ansestry search has confirmed some Eropean blood lines therefore this IM HO qualifies as a Fudd gun. Built on a 1909 Argentine Mauser chambered in 275 Rigby [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
The best hunter I have ever known could pretty much kill deer on command and did it with an old Auto 5 12ga. shooting whatever rifled slugs were on sale. His "upgrade" was a homemade peep sight which consisted of a lollipop of sheet metal with a hole drilled in it, bent and taped to the receiver with a little wood wedge to get the elevation just right. He sighted it in on cow patties.

Fear the Indian, not the arrow.
I used to love the long, roundnose 156gr Norma load in my 6.5x55 Swede. That's pretty Fuddy :-)
I'm not sure a true Fudd would be sporting some of the expensive custom guns I see in this thread.

I think he's more of an "off the rack, run of the mill" gun kind of guy. Just sayin'. smile

Original post...

The 30-06 has been circumvented for other Fudd calibers equal to or similare in Fuddness. Blue and walnut need only apply!

Garands meet that criteria...

And 1903's....

Does it count if I shoot whitetails in cover with a Winchester 100 in 308 and Remington 180 grain RNCLs or a Ruger 44 International and 240 grain JSPs?
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Does it count if I shoot a Winchester 100 in 308 with Remington 180 grain RNCLs?

Hits are what counts, shooting is for the NBA…
I'm going to claim the distinction of the Fudd because I used an H&R Topper at 14 with 150 round nose, then at 16 I bought my own Mod 94 Classic Carbine, also with 150 round nose and later a Model 742 '06 all walnut/blued and all had iron sights. In fact I didn't buy/use my first scope until I was 23 yrs old! ha I used 150 Clkts in the '06, later the 165 SBT. ha Good times.
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Does it count if I shoot a Winchester 100 in 308 with Remington 180 grain RNCLs?

Hits are what counts, shooting is for the NBA…

1 shot, 1 kill.
Maybe there’s Fudd, then High or Royal Fudd…?

Hmm…

Ole Fudd’s getting a tad uppity?

Ya reckon….?

DF

Hmm…

Ya reckon….?

DF

That typically happens by people outsmarted by a wabbit😁

PennDog

Oh yeah, the stainless with the Monsanto stock...real piece of Americana right there.
The 30-06 has been circumvented for other Fudd calibers equal to or similare in Fuddness. Blue and walnut need only apply!

Alrighty then ... Faux Rigby Stalker in 275R.

Not just a safe queen either ......

Obviously there's more Thurston Howell than Elmer Fudd types here.

Thurston would peer over a cup of tea with disdain.

If we're going outside the original description, killed a couple doe and a buck with this one in the last 5 yrs. My Dad's old M71 348 that he bought new when he was a youngster. His one and only carry rifle for 20 + yrs.

My most used deer rifles are still lever actions, as has been the case since I bought my first model 94 back in the '70's. Bolt actions of any description were a rarity in the deer woods here back then, while levers, pumps and auto's clearly dominated the Catskills. I hunted for several years before I ever ran into another hunter armed with a bolt action rifle and that was a non resident with a post 64 model 70 chambered in .243 Winchester.
Not just a safe queen either ......

Wow
I maybe a Fudd lite got a couple laminated wood 270s they like 150 round nose though.
Super Cub thats a very nice 275 Rigby as is the buck. It's my favorite caliber. Congrats on both
Originally Posted by VaHunter
The first 25 years of my deer hunting was done with a Rem 760 30-06 with a 2x7 Weaver in swing-off mounts, well that is not exactly true the first 3 years are so was iron sights, all with 180gr round nose or 220 round nose (just because).

I hunted a lot of years with on 06 and pretty much used 180 gr RNs, IF I could not find any 220 grain RN on the shelves.
Took deer out to 300 yds with those 220 gr RNs. They just work, period.

Also carried a 2 x 7 scope on top of my bolt action rifle ( a Browning A Bolt ), but mine was a Leupold Shot Gun Scope.
In this stuff, I liked those thicker set of crosshairs.

As I've aged, I've migrated down to 6mm and 6.5 mm. Last two deer I've taken, was one with a 6.5 Grendel, handloaded with a 140 gr Speer and the one this past season, was with a 6 x 45 and a 95 grain ballistic tip. Both of those were bang flops.
Originally Posted by flintlocke

Oh yeah, the stainless with the Monsanto stock...real piece of Americana right there.

Well If I had a rifle like that and it dropped a buck like that, I wouldn't be complaining much...
What more do ya want.

I don't do wood stocks anymore, except laminates. I like a stock, I don't have to worry about killing the finish on it.
Rifles I do hunt with, that have wood stocks are my batch of model 70s....
Only a Fudd would put a vent rib on a rifle. A custom Sako in 7X57AI. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
I get extra points for green and black check wool.

Yup. This started out with good intentions but went down some sort of slippery slope
Originally Posted by miguel

Ding, ding, ding ....... We have a winner in the classic Fudd category. smile
Some of my other Fuddyosynchronicities:

530 grains, 30:1

100 yards

200 yards w/15-30 mph L-R crosswind
Originally Posted by PennDog

Hmm…

Ya reckon….?

DF

That typically happens by people outsmarted by a wabbit😁

PennDog
Ha!

DF
Fuddness...

Originally Posted by miguel

Ding, ding, ding ....... We have a winner in the classic Fudd category. smile
Yep.

DF
Fuddness...

Maybe, but pretty damn cool too!

My favorite old 700 .06.

Osky

Size perspective, same bear.

Osky
Lotta Fudds coming out of the woodwork. Notice I didn’t say coming out of the closet. That wouldn’t be Kosher.

Enjoying these pictures.

Keep’em coming.

DF
Originally Posted by Osky

Size perspective, same bear.

Osky

Very toady. High Fudd factor, that.

Motion to recognize bonus Fudd points if the firearm is stamped JC Higgings, Sears and Roebuck, Herters, Western Field or in this case KMart. 30TK

Model 1895 38-72…

Does killing a few deer with 200gr cast bullets out of an old M77 Ruger 30/06 count? I have shot several deer and hogs with 180gr. RNs but with a 30/40 Browning 1895 not with a 30/06.
OK you guys are gonna make me dig up more pics...On this first one I was wearing an honest to god red/black plaid Fudd jacket.Too many guys straying from the '06 intent of the OP. I am holier than thou, therefore its all '06 all the time.( at least in these pics...)

Summer Fudd garb...

Don’t you need those see through scope rings? I am building another 06.
More...

And last but not least, Mrs. Fudd...

Originally Posted by smallfry

You dont need those unless you live east of Fargo .
I get it.
.30-06, check. 180gr Nosler BT, check. Blued steel and walnut, check. Bonus points, Leupold 3x9 gloss blue scope. Dead deer, check.

Very Fuddish.
Originally Posted by SS336
.30-06, check. 180gr Nosler BT, check. Blued steel and walnut, check. Bonus points, Leupold 3x9 gloss blue scope. Dead deer, check.

Nice lumber on that one, good grain pattern. I like it.

DF
Model 1895 38-72…

Isn't "Curmudgeon" one of the boxes to check for full Fuddhood?

Ha!

DF
Originally Posted by weagle

Motion to recognize bonus Fudd points if the firearm is stamped JC Higgings, Sears and Roebuck, Herters, Western Field or in this case KMart. 30TK

Agreed, any house brand rifle gets a 5% bonus for its Fudd Factor.
Elmer inherited this when his great uncle Thurston Howell III was declared legaly dead. A Winchester High Wall 1/2 round 1/2 octagon 38-55 has accounted for several deer and one rabbit. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
I see many EFTs posting. That's Elmer Fudd Trainees. Also see many HEF being left out. That's Honorary Elmer Fudds. Many of us elderly Fudds were Fudds when Fudds wasn't cool and don't need to be overlooked or treated like EFTs.

I'm also seeing some counterfeit Fudds posting. Shame on you'ans.
Originally Posted by GeoW
I see many EFTs posting. That's Elmer Fudd Trainees. Also see many HEF being left out. That's Honorary Elmer Fudds. Many of us elderly Fudds were Fudds when Fudds wasn't cool and don't need to be overlooked or treated like EFTs.

They just wannabe Fudds.

But ya can’t blame’em.

Fuddhood is a term of endearment.

Who wouldn’t want to be a Fudd.

Knighted by the King? Nah, rather be a Fudd.

Knighthood vs Fuddhood. Not even close.

DF
I hate to ask is savage 24s Fudd material
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by smallfry

You dont need those unless you live east of Fargo .

East of Fargo:

[Linked Image]

1970s Push-feed 70 '06 - "Yuh. Them see-throughs is slicker 'n sheehit." Shooting one of these:

[Linked Image]

While dressed something like this. This was a muzzleloader deer, though:

[Linked Image]

Mostly those 180gr RN Core Lokts go through this one, though:

[Linked Image]

Enjoying all the walnut and blue, guys. You're all outdated, romantic, and apparently deadly Fudds. And, I'm proud to stand among you. grin
Fudds rule.

Fudd power.

DF
Hands-down, the most Fudd-Worthy post on this entire thread. Beautiful or classic wood stocked rifles do not a Fudd make. This is the stuff Fudd Dreams are made of. A crappy bolt 30-06 topped with Tasco see-thrus and a Bushnell 4X, loaded with 180 CoreLokt Rn's. And, it gets better! An Amish Machine Gun with delightful redneck alterations, run by a woodchuck wearing black/green wool in Benoit Country. How can it get any better? Might as well end the thread now... I anoint thee "King Fudd!"

Originally Posted by 1eyedmule
[Linked Image]

1970s Push-feed 70 '06 - "Yuh. Them see-throughs is slicker 'n sheehit." Shooting one of these:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Enjoying all the walnut and blue, guys. You're all outdated, romantic, and apparently deadly Fudds. And, I'm proud to stand among you. grin
Originally Posted by Brad
Hands-down, the most Fudd-Worthy post on this entire thread. Beautiful or classic wood stocked rifles do not a Fudd make. This is the stuff Fudd Dreams are made of. A crappy bolt 30-06 topped with Tasco see-thrus and a Bushnell 4X, loaded with 180 CoreLokt Rn's. And, it gets better! An Amish Machine Gun with delightful redneck alterations, run by a woodchuck wearing black/green wool in Benoit Country. How can it get any better? Might as well end the thread now... I anoint thee "King Fudd!"

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Well hell, Brad, "King Fudd". I'm honored!
The honor is mine - I’d track a buck with you any time!
To my way of thinking a Fudd isn't Ritchie Rich out dropping four figures on a rifle in the glass case at a gun library. But a wood stocked Remington 30-06 seems about right
Not a 30/06, but the rifle with which I've killed the most game is a #4 Lee Enfield. I've had it for 60 years and it is a lucky gun. It has accounted for antelope, Whitetail, mule deer, moose, elk, black bears and coyotes. It presently wears a Bushnell Scopechief 4x with command post. Fairly Fudd-like, I think. GD

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

+1!
To my way of thinking a Fudd isn't Ritchie Rich out dropping four figures on a rifle in the glass case at a gun library. But a wood stocked Remington 30-06 seems about right

+1!
Originally Posted by Gary_3
I recently acquired an M77 30‘06 for just such fun, hell I even bought a waxed cotton, plaid lined gun case for it, and a leather and cotton sling.

Off to watch some Red Green

M77
Fudd posers?
Originally Posted by Buckstopper
Fudd posers?

It had to happen.. no difference in fake Fudds and fake "Turd Like" members.

Welcome Fuddy Duddys!
Thats a good round and bullet. But I dont' own an AR that shoots that round.
Does this count?

[Linked Image]
My Fudd submission. Rem721 30.06 165gr Core-Lokt gloss Leupold

Originally Posted by beretzs

P64 M70 270 Win get me in? whistle

My good buddy shot this bull with his P64 30-06 and 180 RNCL's while him and I were hunting in Wyoming.

Used my old Alaskan in the wood stock for a few elk... I was using a 210 PT for most, that's darned near a RN in todays bullets laugh

Used a blued/walnut Kimber this year for a buck.. Plain ol 200 grain Speers...

Winner! Pre 64 and government 30 or 270wcf. Instant winner
Originally Posted by MikeL2
Is there a 170 gr 30/30 category?

My first deer. 1968. Still have the '94, and that's the last thing I killed with it. My second deer was with an '06 with 180s tho. And that's it- one white-tail and one mule deer.

Do I get 2 patches?

I should. Ed Zern gave me two certificates for one submission to his Madison Avenue Rod, Gun, Labrador Retriever and Bloody Mary Club.

I think he printed too many, as it said I was only in "reasonably good standing".

I still have a copy hanging in my remote cabin, I think. Did for years anyway.
Fudds coming out of the woodwork. Cool deal.

Bluefish sent me this picture of his "Fudd" outfit in the making.

Looks like a M-70 action with the handle on the wrong side. He shouldn't lose Fudd points for that.

Jacket should pass Fudd muster. Gotta see some walnut, not too fancy....

I'm sure we'll see more pictures as it progresses.

I think he's got potential....

DF

The honor is mine - I’d track a buck with you any time!

Be fun - see if we could catch up to a toe-draggin' Ol' Son! Or, if you're into turkeys we could chase those around. Got to be careful in choosing your camo and shotgun, though. laugh

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by JDK
Does this count?

[Linked Image]

Best picture I've seen in a while. Get's my blood going! What a buck. And, a peep-sighted pump gun. And, snow. It's a great picture and a great day no matter what but, if you tell me you put the sneak on that beast in those spruces and killed him up close, I'm going to have to find you to shake your hand, Mister JDK. That's the best of it, right there. Looks like I held the crown for less than 24 hours - all yours, brother!
[Linked Image]

My latest rebellion against synthetics in last week's blood trail, courtesy of a 250gr .358. Surely I must be a fudd to use a wood stocked rifle in the wet slop of Southeast Alaska?
Jr. Fudd category-

My baby boy started out with a .243 Fudd at six years old.

208 yards
His own hand loaded 100gr Nosler Partition.

Probably get in trouble for saying this but I love seeing kids and families in the outdoors pictures. That is what it is about.
I bet he doesn’t miss very much.
Originally Posted by JDK
Does this count?

[Linked Image]

Best picture I've seen in a while. Get's my blood going! What a buck. And, a peep-sighted pump gun. And, snow. It's a great picture and a great day no matter what but, if you tell me you put the sneak on that beast in those spruces and killed him up close, I'm going to have to find you to shake your hand, Mister JDK. That's the best of it, right there. Looks like I held the crown for less than 24 hours - all yours, brother!

Since only the King can pass on the crown, I can only say "so be it!" I think you chose well for your successor... a peep sighted Amish Machine Gun and a fine Maine buck are as Fudd as it gets. Some pics with black and green plaid "Camo" would make it 100% though smile
Originally Posted by gunnut308
Jr. Fudd category-

208 yards

You're doing it right Nut!

Even a blind squirrel gets lucky once in a blue moon.

While honored I really do prefer to remain hidden in obscurity. I think GW says it best and i paraphrase. Remain in mediocrity
I just submitted an application for a member-in-training. HVA 1640 on on its way to me, my first ‘06 Gonna top it with a vintage Kahles Helia. Just gotta find a leather sling with some nice patina to complete the vintage rig.
Jr. Fudd category-

208 yards

He’s 20 now… Stone cold killa that likes big tits! 😃

May have been already mentioned, but the Fudd Society should have a Southern Division for 150 gr bullets, because southern deer don't require 180 gr bullets!
Jr. Fudd category-

208 yards

He’s 20 now… Stone cold killa that likes big tits! 😃

👍👍👍

He gots an eye ouchie!

He gots an eye ouchie!
Running away shot that’s the exit😎
They don’t go far when the “thinker” is poked!
Originally Posted by JDK

Even a blind squirrel gets lucky once in a blue moon.

While honored I really do prefer to remain hidden in obscurity. I think GW says it best and i paraphrase. Remain in mediocrity

I respect that, JDK. Spoken like a true Fudd. But, what's done is done - you're King until a more worthy successor shows up. Thanks for posting the picture and I agree about the kids and families. I had a childhood like that and these guys are giving their kids a precious gift.
Fudds coming out of the woodwork. Cool deal.

Bluefish sent me this picture of his "Fudd" outfit in the making.

Looks like a M-70 action with the handle on the wrong side. He shouldn't lose Fudd points for that.

Jacket should pass Fudd muster. Gotta see some walnut, not too fancy....

I'm sure we'll see more pictures as it progresses.

I think he's got potential....

DF

Definite potential there! Bluefish is on his way. Pro tip - hang that coat in a cow barn until next deer season. Deer don't mind cow scent and Fudds don't buy fancy scent control products! wink
killed my first deer with an open sighted savage 110 in .30-'06. no idea of ammo brand or bullet weight. i'd guess a core-lokt 150. reckon that counts for Fudd-ness?
I tbink if we are going to mandate a certain cartridge and specific bullet we should also make ai requirement that said bullet be loaded with 3031 powder.

IMO it makes more sense to make the requirements: Blued wood and steel, of design made prior to 1955, any grain and profile lead bullet, no polymer or plastic tips
Originally Posted by Ramblin_Razorback
May have been already mentioned, but the Fudd Society should have a Southern Division for 150 gr bullets, because southern deer don't require 180 gr bullets!

Agreed, our little deer don't require a 180 but, it does dispatch them greatly! I can't remember killing anything with a .30'06 that wasn't with a 180 grain handload.
First deer taken 1974, with a Marlin 336 in .35 Remington 200 grain Core-Lokt ammo, open sights. Should get me into the club!
I think being a Fudd means we don’t hunt with anything plastic or at least try not to .We have more class.
99R, 300S..Hope this qualifies smile

30-06 Rem 700, 6x Leupold, handloaded 180 gr, but with a pointy tip. 350 yard muley.

Worked on elk too, at 405 yards, but again with one of them pointy almost 180 gr bullets.

That 30-06 works on pronghorn, black bear and grizzly too.

Time to time I drop down to a 25-06 version of the same thing:

Have a real soft spot in my heart for Dad's old sporterized Springfield. I hunted with this one back in the 1970's when it had a peep sight. Recently inherited it, but haven't had it afield much. Shoots surprisingly well. Hope to take something with it in 2024.

Fuddish photo with my old Glenfield 30-30, just bumming around the woods with a couple of pards, target shooting and hoping for a coyote or a bear or something like that.

I've got the double barrel thing covered with this 50+ year old "Ithaca" 20 gauge, mine since 1969.

Love the whole blue steel & walnut thing. Guy
Originally Posted by Oldagpilot
I think being a Fudd means we don’t hunt with anything plastic or at least try not to.

Food for thought ..... It very well could be that the modern present day hunter who goes afield with a stainless/synthetic rifle be considered to be a Fudd 50yrs from now.
Originally Posted by Cascade
I've got the double barrel thing covered with this 50+ year old "Ithaca" 20 gauge, mine since 1969.

I have one of those SKBs as well. Great field gun but lacks a second trigger for the true Fudd effect. Mine is a 28" 20ga with the chokes opened to IC/M for grouse and woodcock in Eastern Canada.

Here's a Fudd wannabe rifle. Doesn't quite make the grade with the SS bbl but the rest is blued in walnut chambered in 257Roberts. This rifle has since gone full apostate with the stock being replaced with a TI take off.

Here another Fudd from the 50s that lives here. Rarer BDL grade with the checkering. Topped with an M8 4x in Weaver R&B. I may pull that off and replace with a Leupold 1.5-5.

Have a real soft spot in my heart for Dad's old sporterized Springfield. I hunted with this one back in the 1970's when it had a peep sight. Recently inherited it, but haven't had it afield much. Shoots surprisingly well. Hope to take something with it in 2024.

How will you load for it, original 30-06 ballistics or modern?
Good stuff there SC. I'm liking that 300 H&H stamping on the barrel! smile

Ya, those SKB built "Ithaca" doubles are pretty cool. Also hunt with grandpa's 1930's vintage Remington 32 over & under. That's a pretty neat old O&U.

Guy
257 Roberts...

More pre-Fudd rifles...

Originally Posted by mathman

How will you load for it, original 30-06 ballistics or modern?

Both probably. I have plenty of traditional cup & core bullets on hand in various weights. The round nose bullets I have on hand for it are 220 grain round nose Hornady bullets and 220 grain Nosler Partition "semi-spitzers." I might still have an old box of the machine-turned 200 gr Nosler Partitions too - they're blunt, unlike the current 200 gr Noslers.

I did load some of the 220 gr RN Hornady bullets for it, and the old Springfield shot them well at 2440 fps.

Had also been messing with the 130 gr Barnes TTSX... Have to admit, I'm impressed. Much less recoil. Excellent accuracy. 3200+ fps... and great performance in the gel blocks. I did take the old rifle out one day for bear this year, but that's all I managed to do with it, and no bear. It was loaded with the 130 gr Barnes TTSX's that day.

Regards, Guy
super cool!!!!!!!!!!! love the pics keep them coming!!
Great pics Cascade, Cub.

Osky
Interarms Mark X .35 Whelen, scope is a Leupold 1-4x, loaded with 250 grain Speer.
I qualify, except for having shot the deer part.
Can I sign up for the 2024 season?
I'm starting to run out of Fudd guns. I have a pair of Cooey single shots one in 20 and the other a 12. That's a bit of Canadiana Fudd.

The 20 scored a couple this day out.

Here's a Browning (Sako) Safari in 222. Nice little rifle.

Some very nice rifles in this thread. I prefer hunting with walnut and polished blue. Mostly used a 30-06 Vanguard deluxe myself this year.
That Cooey looks like Elmer’s personal gun.

DF
This one meets all the requirements for a Fudd patch, except I used a 180 gr Sierra spitzer instead of a RN.
How's this for fudd. Blued/walnut rifle. Trapper nelson pack. Old farm truck beat to death.

Or a Ruger #1 in 7x57 with 175gr Interlocks. Wool trousers, also had a wool jacket on me.

German Mauser 98 sporterized shooting your typical 170gr Speer hot-cor semi-spitizer.

And some more pics of fudd style.

How about a .35 Remington Model 760 shooting 200 grain round nose Core Lokts? Also kilt one with a Model 141, same bullet.
Originally Posted by Muddly
How about a .35 Remington Model 760 shooting 200 grain round nose Core Lokts? Also kilt one with a Model 141, same bullet.
Yeah, without a doubt.

DF
7x57 and 154 gr RN Hornadys close enough for Fuddom?
Originally Posted by Muddly

Yep & yep here the same. Except the deer killed with the 141 this yr was with the Speer 180 FN. 760 is scoped, the 141 has a tang peep sight.

DF

Do they have Cooeys in the States?
Didn't get a photo,but went full Fudd this year ,Rem.742 ,30/06 and Rem. Cor-loc 180 gr. .Spike ,one side had a small fork the other a 10 inch spike , biologist checked his teeth and said he was 4years old so he needed to go.

DF

Not that I’ve seen.

But, what if ole Elmer was a Canuck all along.

Hmm….

DF

DF

Not that I’ve seen.

Hmm….

DF
He wasn't. He was a Missourian

DF

Not that I’ve seen.

Hmm….

DF
Oh well, I tried.

DF

DF

Not that I’ve seen.

Hmm….

DF

There are 1000s of them here and with enough variations that there are some serious collectors of the brand. They are sturdy single shot shotguns, well made. The older M84s were all steel and low grade walnut. True Fudd.

DF

Not that I’ve seen.

Hmm….

DF
Oh well, I tried.

DF

Growing up he said that Frank James and the Younger clan were "family friends". Then they moved to Montana and he met even more colorful characters
Well we need to decide which Elmer we talking about.

Elmer Fudd is at bat on this thread.

DF

DF

True. I see "Elmer" on a gun forum and my mind automatically switches to Keith. My bad

DF

True. I see "Elmer" on a gun forum and my mind automatically switches to Keith. My bad
Easy to do. Elmer is Elmer. No second place winner.

Here, just a bunch of Fudds being Fudds.

Ha!

DF
My nephew sent me this. Though I'd add it to our Fudd collection.

DF

Back around 1956 I shot a deer with a J.C. Higgins 30-06. Don't remember the exact load but back then I was using Sierra bullets almost exclusively. Mostly 180 gr. RNs. Last deer I shot with one of those bullets was back in Nevada sometime in the mid 1970s. Rifle back then was a Remington 660. I switched to that one because it was a lot lighter than the Higgins 30-06 up on Mt. Lewis at IIRC about 9,500" MSL.
Does that mean I qualify for a patch???
PJ
Originally Posted by PJGunner
Back around 1956 I shot a deer with a J.C. Higgins 30-06. Don't remember the exact load but back then I was using Sierra bullets almost exclusively. Mostly 180 gr. RNs. Last deer I shot with one of those bullets was back in Nevada sometime in the mid 1970s. Rifle back then was a Remington 660. I switched to that one because it was a lot lighter than the Higgins 30-06 up on Mt. Lewis at IIRC about 9,500" MSL.
Does that mean I qualify for a patch???
PJ
I’d say you pass with room to spare.

Super Fudd.

Fudd on steroids.

DF
“ You get your patch to the club when you have shot a deer with your 30-06 and rn 180 grain bullets. Blue and walnut need only apply!”

Shot a 170 B&C with this combo last year and it’s all I use since that’s the combination Jack O’Connor recommended. Patch please.
Still using a JC Higgins Model 50. Great rifle
Originally Posted by Swampman700

I have one as well, but the original bbl and stock are now gone in preparation for some work that was done to it.

Originally Posted by Swampman700

I have one as well, but the original bbl and stock are now gone in preparation for some work that was done to it.

You probably already a Fudd, but this project will add to your credentials.

DF
Fudd award! My last buck this season. 180 grn RN Remington factory core-lokts
30/06

Ok now the Uber Fudd Award!!! This season’s first buck. 220 grn RN Hornady handload. Out of 30/40 Krag!!!

Doesn’t look like there’s much left.
Need a mackinaw jacket and a Stormy Kromer hat.
I killed my 1st deer in 1976 with that combo. A Remington 700 ADL in 30-06, 180 gr RN Corelocks.

But I replaced the walnut stock with a Brown Precision in 1983 and haven't hunted with a wood stocked bolt gun since. Guess I can't join since I'm a turncoat. If I feel the urge, I still have some 30-30 lever guns with walnut/blue.
Once I finish the redo on my Fuddmobile M70 06 I think I may well have the stock on my 1951 waffle top 336 in 35 refinished and have the metal rust blued. Alternatively have the stock duplicated and add a thin recoil pad since original LOP is too short. I really like that gun and it sports a Lyman peep. I think I’ll call that combo a double Fudd sundae!
Once I finish the redo on my Fuddmobile M70 06 I think I may well have the stock on my 1951 waffle top 336 in 35 refinished and have the metal rust blued. Alternatively have the stock duplicated and add a thin recoil pad since original LOP is too short. I really like that gun and it sports a Lyman peep. I think I’ll call that combo a double Fudd sundae!
Ha!

Can't argue with that.

DF
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Fudd award! My last buck this season. 180 grn RN Remington factory core-lokts
30/06

Ok now the Uber Fudd Award!!! This season’s first buck. 220 grn RN Hornady handload. Out of 30/40 Krag!!!

You're Fudd extraordinaire.

DF
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag

kwg

It surely is.

kwg
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag

kwg

It surely is.

kwg
Just Depends.

Wet or dry.

DF
My last deer was killed with a 195 FN cast bullet from an old tang safety M77 Ruger in 30/06. will that qualify?
How about a virgin Marlin 336A .35 Rem waffle-top with aperture sight using factory loads with 180gr RN's??

Or a virgin Marlin 336SC Thutty-thutty waffle-top with aperture sight using factory loads with 170 gr RNs?

Or a 1st year Sako L61R Finnbear in .300 H&H with 180 grainers, but handloaded Swift Sciroccos?

Or a Sako L61R Finnbear in 30-06 using some old handloaded 165 gr RNs (maybe Speer?)?

Or a first gen Browning BLR 308 using 180 gr RNs? Have killed over 200 whitetails with that one.

Or a tanger Ruger 77R in 300 Win using 180gr RN handloads? Got a nice whitetail buck in the middle of a gawd-awful thunderstorm, then had to literally hang on for dear life to the trunk of a tree that blew down in front of me when a tornado came through.

And I've got a Stormy Kromer and some Bean's wool Johnson Guide Pants, with suspenders, and a pair of their Maine Guide boots I still use.

I ain't hit the requirement perzactly, but I've hit all around it as close as you can without nailing it dead center. wink crazy cool
I'm in, Parker hale 30-06 with a hand loaded 180 grain Speer. The deer was not impressive, but it was tasty.
I found a box of 200 gr round nose partitions in a box of reloading stuff I was given. Can I use those out of my JC Higgins 50 for this? The Higgins has a compass in the stock for added guidance
Can I get an honorary membership using a Remington 03A3 2 groove sportier shooting old Corlokts?
Originally Posted by 240NMC
Can I get an honorary membership using a Remington 03A3 2 groove sportier shooting old Corlokts?
Naw, that should get you a full membership.

That’s hard core Fudd.

Ha!

DF
Originally Posted by Farmall140
I found a box of 200 gr round nose partitions in a box of reloading stuff I was given. Can I use those out of my JC Higgins 50 for this? The Higgins has a compass in the stock for added guidance
That sets the Fudd bar pretty high.

Hard act to follow.

DF

sounds like you have an early 6.5 CM prototype before they integrated the compass into the bullet for self guided accuracy!
03A3 bubbaed sitting in a Herters sporter stock with plastic forend tip ,grip cap and model perfect recoil pad. Of course they all have to have the jagged lightning bolt spacers and extra points for a herters compensator on the muzzle. Shooting 180 rn herter bullets of course.mb
Talked with Matt Roberts today and my Fuddmobile is coming along. New Dougie barrel at 23”, barrel banded sling swivel with irons, reshaped stock, a couple extra fixes on the metal and away we shall go. Hoping it’ll be Fuddtastic.

sounds like you have an early 6.5 CM prototype before they integrated the compass into the bullet for self guided accuracy!
Ya reckon the compass in the stock spoke to the bullet?

And the military is only now thinking about that kinda technology. Seems he musta had it all along.

Fudds rule. Others need to catch up. Or try.

DF

And the military is only now thinking about that kinda technology. Seems he musta had it all along.

DF

🤣👍
How about an iron sighted single shot in .303 British with a 215 C.I.L. KKSP?? :>)
Cat

DF

Between the compass and the fake ivory diamonds in the stock no game stands a chance. It was my crop damage rifle for a while, it's killed a pile of game. Just what one would expect from a Sears and Roebuck Wally Tabor edition.

DF

Between the compass and the fake ivory diamonds in the stock no game stands a chance. It was my crop damage rifle for a while, it's killed a pile of game. Just what one would expect from a Sears and Roebuck Wally Tabor edition.
Pure class.

If ya got it, may as well flaunt it.

Ha!

DF
© 24hourcampfire