Home
Posted By: bbassi Never shoot the donor - 02/19/24
The other day I picked up a LH 700 I didn't need, but figured for the price It could sit in the closet until I decided I needed a new custom. Today I threw a 3-9 on it to see what it would do. Damit.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: nyrifleman Re: Never shoot the donor - 02/19/24
Shoot it again.

On a windy day

Problem solved

grin
Posted By: Blacktailer Re: Never shoot the donor - 02/19/24
Bummer 😕
Posted By: Teal Re: Never shoot the donor - 02/19/24
Go back farther than the 10 yard line.
Posted By: hh4whiskey Re: Never shoot the donor - 02/19/24
lol….i had that issue with a 700 Mtn 270, so it stayed as is. Then I had a stainless M70 in 270, that I cut and threaded before a rebore…it stacked factory ammo better than I could. It may not get messed with. Just found another stainless M70. I think I’ll give up ever shooting it as it is, for lent.
Posted By: BrotherBart Re: Never shoot the donor - 02/20/24
I have a LHRem700 in 243 that I found at a Cabelas over 10 years ago.
I bought it for my son cuz he's a lefty like my Pop and I are. Steelhead
bought a McMillian stock for my son's birthday and I have an older Leupold
LPS scope and Talley rings. We planned on re-barrelling it to 6.5RemMag but
time, money, and life got in the way, but... I've never shot it. You NEVER shoot the donor!
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: Never shoot the donor - 02/20/24
Lol allways shoot the donor so you can see personally what you f u cked up and pissed away. Way I see it cost sometimes is more that money. Mb
Originally Posted by nyrifleman
Shoot it again.

On a windy day

Problem solved

grin

Maybe, maybe not.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Maybe since it's a rem 700. My model 70's don't give a chidt if its windy.. Oh wait, was I supposed to be using wind flags??? OOPS..
Posted By: GreggH Re: Never shoot the donor - 02/20/24
That is exactly how I got introduced to the 7 mm Rem Mag. Bought it to become a 257 Wby. After a range visit it will never be touched. It has become one of my favorites. Added the 257 Wby later.

GreggH
Posted By: mjbgalt Re: Never shoot the donor - 02/20/24
Nah. Here's the cheat code on that. You buy a rifle just as you want it, but call it a donor. Don't let it hear you say different. It will shoot great and you have the gun you want.
Posted By: nyrifleman Re: Never shoot the donor - 02/20/24
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Shoot it again.

On a windy day

Problem solved

grin

Maybe, maybe not.

Maybe since it's a rem 700. My model 70's don't give a chidt if its windy.. Oh wait, was I supposed to be using wind flags??? OOPS..

If it shoots like that a second time in the wind, you don't look a gift horse.....it's a keeper as is!
Posted By: beretzs Re: Never shoot the donor - 02/20/24
Those are best kinda donors!
Posted By: T_O_M Re: Never shoot the donor - 02/20/24
Yeah. A few years back I picked up a 700 in .223 to build a .17 Remington on. Sat in the safe a few years. One day I decided to throw a scope on it and grabbed some ammo I'd loaded up for an AR. 5 shot groups in the 0.2s. Crap. Same-ish more recently .. I picked up a 700 SS .243. I hadn't worked with .243 though I've done a lot with .22 CFs, .25 CFs, and some bigger 6mms (6 Rem AI, 6x.284, .240). Shot it .. "oops". Half inch with 100 grain partitions.

The only thing to do when that happens is to buy yet another donor.
Posted By: GeoW Re: Never shoot the donor - 02/20/24
Shoot it again.

On a windy day

Problem solved

grin

Maybe, maybe not.

Ever stretch em out to 50 yds?
Posted By: TnBigBore Re: Never shoot the donor - 02/20/24
I have several 270, 30-06 and 308 rifles that were going to be turned into something else before I shot the donor. It happens.
Shoot it again.

On a windy day

Problem solved

grin

Maybe, maybe not.

If it shoots like that a second time in the wind, you don't look a gift horse.....it's a keeper as is!

I agree!!
Originally Posted by GeoW
Shoot it again.

On a windy day

Problem solved

grin

Maybe, maybe not.

I stretched you wife's puzzy out that far. She kept calling me "god" too!!!
Originally Posted by mjbgalt
Nah. Here's the cheat code on that. You buy a rifle just as you want it, but call it a donor. Don't let it hear you say different. It will shoot great and you have the gun you want.

Smart man, right there^^^
Posted By: colodog Re: Never shoot the donor - 02/21/24
That's so much more fun than buying the perfect complete rifle, that doesn't shoot!
Posted By: Offshoreman Re: Never shoot the donor - 02/21/24
I feel your pain - that happened to me with M70 30-06 - damn thing shot anything under a 1/2-inch - the good stuff closer to a 1/4-inch. Donors don't get shot anymore at my place.
Posted By: JBabcock Re: Never shoot the donor - 02/22/24
Originally Posted by GeoW
Shoot it again.

On a windy day

Problem solved

grin

Maybe, maybe not.

I stretched you wife's puzzy out that far. She kept calling me "god" too!!!

Now that right there is funny!
Posted By: TheBigSky Re: Never shoot the donor - 02/23/24
Always shoot the donor....otherwise.....you may be making a donor out of a shooter.
Posted By: hh4whiskey Re: Never shoot the donor - 02/23/24
^^^I don’t need that kind of negative reinforcement right now. Lol
Posted By: strosfann Re: Never shoot the donor - 02/26/24
Been there done that with some that were supposed to be flippers too.
Posted By: efw Re: Never shoot the donor - 02/27/24
Shoot it again.

On a windy day

Problem solved

grin

After a few big cups of rich, dark, coffee.
Posted By: tzone Re: Never shoot the donor - 02/27/24
Originally Posted by Teal
Go back farther than the 10 yard line.

laugh laugh
That's why I started buying actions only for rifle builds.
Posted By: Jericho Re: Never shoot the donor - 03/02/24
I knew a guy who bought a beater Remington 722 in 300 Savage and was going to use it to build a varmint rig. Until he shot it at the range and was astonished at the groups he got at 100 yards. Original owner tracked him down a couple of years later and bought it back from him.
Originally Posted by Offshoreman
I feel your pain - that happened to me with M70 30-06 - damn thing shot anything under a 1/2-inch - the good stuff closer to a 1/4-inch. Donors don't get shot anymore at my place.

If you have a .30/06 and a pound of H 4350, just load a bunch of different weight bullets and there will be a few surprises in there. Mine loves 150gn Partitions, 168gn TTSX's and 180gn Hornady BTSP's. It likes 175gn LRX's and 200gn Partitions.

When new, it shot a bunch of sub .7MOA groups using several 150gn CnC bullets.
© 24hourcampfire