Home
Posted By: woofer best deer cartridge ever - 08/31/07
hi guys. i am back on limited basis...
thanks for all the good support. really appreciate it... tried like hell to get back on here as woofer but took a while.. been a long road and and slow getting back but i just cant stay away.. grin

woofer
Posted By: woofer Re: best deer cartridge ever - 08/31/07
oh yeah, any roy converts?? does the 6x still reign supreme?

woofer
Welcome home...best deer cartridge would be the one that hit's vitals consistantly
Posted By: UtahLefty Re: best deer cartridge ever - 08/31/07
welcome back! (limited basis?)
Posted By: biglmbass Re: best deer cartridge ever - 08/31/07
Welcome back.
Best deer cartridge is the one in the chamber on my first 2007 deer hunt.
Glad to have you back!! Hope it's for awhile.
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: best deer cartridge ever - 08/31/07
Probably the 30-06 in the US, but I'll be shooting at least a couple of deer with a 25 WSSM in 2007.

'Glad to hear that things are going better for you!

Jeff
Posted By: waterbug Re: best deer cartridge ever - 08/31/07
Welcome back!
Posted By: RickyD Re: best deer cartridge ever - 08/31/07
It's good to see you back woofer. Hope all is well.
Posted By: GeorgeS3 Re: best deer cartridge ever - 08/31/07
Bout time!!!!!! laugh laugh laugh

George
Posted By: safariman Re: best deer cartridge ever - 08/31/07
Welcome, and the answer to the question is: 257WBY!! smile Hope to see a lot more posts.
What'd I miss? Welcome back!
Best deer cartridge ever?

Bah! No such thing!

A long time ago, I concluded that one does not need a magnum to kill a deer. Every 7mm Mag becomes a 7x57 at some point downrange. That point is farther than the bulk of the hunters can hit a deer from a field position. Excepting all current members herewith. (Of course, all members of the 24HCF, are exceptional shooters and can hit a deer at any range up to a mile....OFFHAND!) grin

I have narrowed it down to just about eight cartridges:

.270 WCF
7mm-08 Rem
.284 Win.
.280 Rem
7x57 Mauser
.300 Sav
.308 Win
.30-06 SPRG.

Of course there are others, but that's the best of them. I never heard of anyone using any of the above, that missed a deer they could have gotten with a 7mm Mag or a .300. smile

Wait a minute! Let me don my flame suit...

Go ahead, I'm ready.... Flame me..

Grasshopper

BTW.... Welcome back Woofer!
Helllllllllllllllllllo Woofer, glad your ALIVE.

P.S. Ed, you forgot a SLEW of 25 calibers and they get my vote!
Posted By: vacrt2002 Re: best deer cartridge ever - 09/01/07
Originally Posted by woofer
oh yeah, any roy converts?? does the 6x still reign supreme?

woofer

I had a 7mag for 25years, two weeks ago it became 257Roy. grin
woofer,

good to see you back.

Dave
Posted By: WyoJoe Re: best deer cartridge ever - 09/01/07
I think the best deer cartridge is the '06 necked down to .277!! Does a handy job on elk too.
.30-30
Posted By: 24_7 Re: best deer cartridge ever - 09/01/07
The one that fits your situation within common sense.
Too many to choose just one...........but if your gonna make me commit, 270Win...........................547
Posted By: taz4570 Re: best deer cartridge ever - 09/01/07
45-70 anybody?????
Posted By: safariman Re: best deer cartridge ever - 09/01/07
Nope.... smile (not for just deer anyway) I usually have one in the safe, though.
Posted By: 270guy Re: best deer cartridge ever - 09/01/07
For all around use, east and west, hard to beat the good old 270.
Posted By: BobinNH Re: best deer cartridge ever - 09/01/07
I could make considerable mula betting what YOU'D choose.... grin
Posted By: BobinNH Re: best deer cartridge ever - 09/01/07
........did I say 270 W.C.F. yet?
Originally Posted by Grasshopper
Best deer cartridge ever?

I have narrowed it down to just about eight cartridges:

.270 WCF
7mm-08 Rem
.284 Win.
.280 Rem
7x57 Mauser
.300 Sav
.308 Win
.30-06 SPRG.

Of course there are others, but that's the best of them. I never heard of anyone using any of the above, that missed a deer they could have gotten with a 7mm Mag or a .300. smile

Wait a minute! Let me don my flame suit...

Go ahead, I'm ready.... Flame me..

Alright, you asked for it, so here you go. YOU LEFT .250 SAVAGE OFF THE LIST you gosh darn so-and-so!! What the heck is up with this expletive filter? wink
Posted By: croldfort Re: best deer cartridge ever - 09/01/07
I have used most of the popular deer rounds over the years. The .270Win is my most bang/flop favorite. Some of the Mag's have gone through the deer and they run. In all fairness, I have never shot a deer with any of the .35 cal's. My new rifle is a 7mmWSM. I'll carry it this year. Good luck.

George
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: best deer cartridge ever - 09/01/07
7 Weatherby Magnum for me.
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: best deer cartridge ever - 09/01/07
Originally Posted by BobinNH
........did I say 270 W.C.F. yet?

That's enough of that!!

grin cool
Howdy! Best? One that shoots bullets, not blanks. They all work in the hands of a hunter but may not under the control of a shooter. State G&F may have some thoughts on what's proper but what do they know anyway?
If you went by numbers killed, I think it would be the 30-30. Forget the wounded, no way to count them. But what if the 30-30 had been a bolt action or a single shot? OOP'S! I think it just lost a lot of ground. 30-30 sales are still high but not in botl action rifles. Not even in pumps or auto loaders. Not even in single shot's. The best deer cartridge ever made is whatever you want it to be because I'm not argueing with anybody that the 338-378 is the real deal.

Now what is the most popular deer rifle ever made? I think that would be the lever action carbine. The model 94 win is older than the 7x57, the 30-06 and the 270! The lever action rifle is older than every smokless powder cartridge ever invented. Personally tho I've owned a couple of them, I'd never own another.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: best deer cartridge ever - 09/01/07
I thought the 7x57 came out in '93?
Posted By: Shag Re: best deer cartridge ever - 09/01/07
7-08
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I thought the 7x57 came out in '93?

Probably a screw up on my part. Didn't the Henry come out prior to that? And I think the 30-30 was first a black powder round wasn't it? I might be wrong, I wasn't there and am no fan of lever's!
Posted By: jstevens Re: best deer cartridge ever - 09/01/07
7x57
Posted By: jstevens Re: best deer cartridge ever - 09/01/07
7x57
No, the .30-30 was never factory loaded in Black Powder. It wasn't the first smokeless sporting round either. I hunt with a single shot .30-30 and a Model 94, it still takes one shot all the same.

There is no perfect all around deer cartridge, never was, never will be. Some are better in some places, and poor elsewhere. It's one of the reasons we have a variety of chamberings. Least ways, that's how I rationalize it.
Posted By: woofer Re: best deer cartridge ever - 09/01/07
the shopping list is quite large.... might take a while before i can shoot a deer proper grin

ffl guy said one of the big distributors warned him of a price increase on ammo.. 15% next week. 15% in a month and another 30% soon after.. yup... dont know where this will leave handloaders with components but my guess is up and away..

also mentioned the lack of factory 223 fodder next year.. government etc.. dont know but it aint a happy picture now is it..

woofer
Posted By: GeoW Re: best deer cartridge ever - 09/01/07
It's the cartridge that you have confidence in. That's the best.

GeoW
Posted By: Taconic11 Re: best deer cartridge ever - 09/02/07
8x57, The best of All Worlds!!
Posted By: 2muchgun Re: best deer cartridge ever - 09/02/07
7-08.........
Posted By: BobinNH Re: best deer cartridge ever - 09/03/07
Reloader:...OK, sorry.... smile
Most used would prolly be the good old 30-30, and, on ocassion I still hunt with a cupple of pre-64's. Actually, I just got a 1942 mfg. model 64, 30-30 and plan on hunting some with it!
But when it's raining the LSS Ruger Compact in 7-08 gets to go.
Virgil B.
Posted By: taz4570 Re: best deer cartridge ever - 09/03/07
280?? 7-08?? 35 Whelen??
Posted By: HunterJim Re: best deer cartridge ever - 09/03/07
I shot my first deer with a 6.5X55, and I have figured the 6.5 makes a great deer cartridge since then. I have since shot them with 6 mm on the smaller end and .375 on the large, but probably .308 Win for the majority.

To pick one cartridge for all deer I would go for the .260 Rem (or you can call it the 6.5-08 or .263 Express if you want). It has enough of all the factors, and they are all in balance. It also works for all shooters. wink

jim
Posted By: sbhva Re: best deer cartridge ever - 09/10/07
7x57
Posted By: Teeder Re: best deer cartridge ever - 09/10/07
.17-50 BMG using 150 TSX's!

Welcome back Woofer!

Mostly the same old stuff around here, so you didn't miss much.
Still a great place to hang out.
Posted By: DickNoble Re: best deer cartridge ever - 09/10/07
Savage Model 20 in .250-3000 and Savage Model 40 in 30-06
Posted By: aspade Re: best deer cartridge ever - 09/10/07
I figure that a 150 grain, .17 caliber copper bullet would be about 3" long, and need about 3,500,000 rpm to stabilize. If you could hit 4750fps then a 1:1 twist would do it.

You'd best move up to the 165 grain for elk though.

What ever cartridge I am hunting with that particular day.
Actually, I think a few just jump and out almost shout deer hunting.

300 Savage
30-30
35 Remington
243 Win (yes I said it)
257 Roberts
6.5X55 Swede

Yes I know they can be used for other stuff as well. Notice the trend towards mild mannered recoil....hmmmm.
Originally Posted by Taconic11
8x57, The best of All Worlds!!

My vote, too. If it is sitting under two shotgun barrels...even better... wink

[Linked Image]

Posted By: Seafire Re: best deer cartridge ever - 09/11/07
Best deer cartridge ever... 30/06 in a Model 70 with a 3 x 9 Leupold on top...

One I like to carry the most...260 Rem

no further discussion needed.
Posted By: bludog Re: best deer cartridge ever - 09/11/07
That's easy - 7mm08 - you hear talk about the 308 Improved - well this is it. Long range, short range, doesn't matter. Light weight, easy handling, minimal recoil, easy to reload and get just about anything to shoot through it with good accuracy. Boring for some, perhaps, but for deer, this gun is all you need. In fact it's probably overkill.
Posted By: Teeder Re: best deer cartridge ever - 09/11/07
I figure that a 150 grain, .17 caliber copper bullet would be about 3" long, and need about 3,500,000 rpm to stabilize. If you could hit 4750fps then a 1:1 twist would do it.

You'd best move up to the 165 grain for elk though.

Yeah, that's about what I was guessing. grin
Posted By: duckster Re: best deer cartridge ever - 09/11/07
.257 Roberts
Posted By: Zischang Re: best deer cartridge ever - 09/11/07
6.5X54 /ms or 6.5 swede depending on the day. Either one seems to drop deer close to where they were.
I'll vote 308 WIN.
Posted By: rem338win Re: best deer cartridge ever - 09/12/07
.270 WCF, and if I had to chose another it would be the 6.8-06. Both excellent deer cartridges, anywhere!;-)
Is there any doubt...the 270.

Doc
Posted By: olhippie Re: best deer cartridge ever - 09/12/07
...Gotta be the 268 Wacknzapper...*wink*....Seriously, there ain't ONE PERFECT cartridge for all conditions.I'm thankful for that, it adds to my enjoyment using various rifles in different situations..
Originally Posted by olhippie
...Gotta be the 268 Wacknzapper...*wink*....Seriously, there ain't ONE PERFECT cartridge for all conditions.I'm thankful for that, it adds to my enjoyment using various rifles in different situations..

It gives us a reason to live... wink
Posted By: woofer Re: best deer cartridge ever - 09/12/07
your shootin' deer... great stuff! cant believe all the different chamberings mentioned...
which cartridge makes you feel warm and fuzzy regardless of time zone....

woofer
© 24hourcampfire