Home
Posted By: petr Best .22 Hornet ? - 12/01/07
I am looking for a .22 hornet, repeater bolt most likely. Many makes and many greats from the past.

Is it worth punching out to a k-hornet?

many thanks
Posted By: 1B Re: Best .22 Hornet ? - 12/01/07
Having moved on severa ncluding a K-ed Ruger VHZ my !B is damnably accurate and gives me a great practice platform for all my otehr Ruger 1s. Its a keeper.

1B
Posted By: Grasshopper Re: Best .22 Hornet ? - 12/01/07
I have two Hornets: A Ruger #3 and a Browning 1885 Low Wall in the "K" version. If I were looking for a bolt gun, I believe I'd look for a Walther KKJ, A Krico, or an Anschutz. I've had buddys that had the Ruger, and they weren't all that impressed. Just idle thoughts from an idle mind....

Grasshopper
Posted By: cooperfan Re: Best .22 Hornet ? - 12/01/07
Not a repeater, but can't go wrong with a Cooper
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: Best .22 Hornet ? - 12/01/07
The best 22 Hornet is probably a 17 HMR, a 221 Fireball, a 222, or a 223!

I've owned my share of 22 Hornets, 218 Bees, 219 Zippers, and several of the associated wildcats. While 22 Hornets are fun, they are a PITA to reload for due to their small, thin, cases. My personal favorite 22 Hornet was a mannlicher stocked Anschutz 1733 with DSTs. A fun gun to shoot, but expensive to feed with factory ammo and then there is my personal bias toward reloading for the 22 Hornet. There probably is a niche for non-collector who use the 22 Hornet, but that niche doesn't appear to exist at my home. For varmints, the 17 HMR will cover about 90% of the 22 Hornet's range for less $$ and any of the 222 based cartridges will cover the Hornet's full range and then some!

Jeff
Posted By: WheelchairBandit Re: Best .22 Hornet ? - 12/01/07
An Anschutz is the best made,and most accurate out of the box,by far.

CZ makes the 527 in the Hornet-great accuracy and reasonably priced as well.

WB.
Posted By: Mike367 Re: Best .22 Hornet ? - 12/01/07
I like the Browning A-Bolt Micro.
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Best .22 Hornet ? - 12/01/07
CZ 527
Posted By: liled Re: Best .22 Hornet ? - 12/01/07
Anschultz by far, next closest is the CZ 527.

Ed
Posted By: 1B Re: Best .22 Hornet ? - 12/02/07
Mule Deer's recent article on the his top ten favorite rifles ever included the Ruger #1B in .22 Hornet. And his is right of the box... Mine is accurized -- it has had trigger work and a set screw in the hanger.

1B
Posted By: miniquadracer44 Re: Best .22 Hornet ? - 12/02/07
I have a Ruger and I would say that they have the poorest accuracy of all that are available now. I sent mine off and had the barrel set back,rechambered to the K version and recrowned so I'm hoping it will shoot decent now as I'm still blowing out the cases.
Posted By: mopaneMike Re: Best .22 Hornet ? - 12/02/07
Kimber of Oregon.. Mines a factory 22K-Hornet Custom Classic

MM
Posted By: johno Re: Best .22 Hornet ? - 12/02/07
browning micro, hold one and you wont to to put it down and accurate as can be
johno
Posted By: montanabadger Re: Best .22 Hornet ? - 12/02/07
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
The best 22 Hornet is probably a 17 HMR, a 221 Fireball, a 222, or a 223!

I've owned my share of 22 Hornets, 218 Bees, 219 Zippers, and several of the associated wildcats. While 22 Hornets are fun, they are a PITA to reload for due to their small, thin, cases. My personal favorite 22 Hornet was a mannlicher stocked Anschutz 1733 with DSTs. A fun gun to shoot, but expensive to feed with factory ammo and then there is my personal bias toward reloading for the 22 Hornet. There probably is a niche for non-collector who use the 22 Hornet, but that niche doesn't appear to exist at my home. For varmints, the 17 HMR will cover about 90% of the 22 Hornet's range for less $$ and any of the 222 based cartridges will cover the Hornet's full range and then some!

Jeff

I'd have to go a +1 on this one. I have had two hornets, both shot great with factory loads but not worth a poop with any handloads I could come up with. I got a 223 and never looked back. Then I found out about the unique, and blue dot loads. Ten grains of unique launches a 50 grain bullet at hornet speed and drives nails. I have a scope with target turrets on the rifle, I keep a log of the zero of all my loads, if I want to shoot at hornet speed I just dial it in. As far as I am concerned this makes owning a hornet not needed, unless of course your one of the loonies and just want another rifle.
Posted By: castnblast Re: Best .22 Hornet ? - 12/02/07
I had a T/C Contender Carbine, never should have sold it. It was deadly accurate. Now I have an Anschutz 1733, and love it!
Posted By: msc Re: Best .22 Hornet ? - 12/03/07
I have a hornet built on a kimber of oregon action and am very pleased. 13gr of Lil gun gives 2950-3000fps with a 45gr Hornady hornet bullet (24" barrel) with 5 shot groups of 1" consistently. This is one sweet rifle and load.
Posted By: DMB Re: Best .22 Hornet ? - 12/03/07
I have two Hornets, a Ruger Number 1, and a Ruger Model 77.
I've finally gotten the 77 shooting well, with my last group shooting 1/4" at 50 yards. I have no complaints with the 77, but the Number 1 was a nightmare, getting respectable accuracy out of it.

Don
Posted By: horkin_yorkin Re: Best .22 Hornet ? - 12/03/07
My favorite is my 1949 dated Brno 465, beautiful rifle!
Posted By: Blueprinted Re: Best .22 Hornet ? - 12/04/07
I will get fried for saying this. A browning micro is about the best on the market. They get really good when rebarreld to a 17AH.
Posted By: HawkI Re: Best .22 Hornet ? - 12/04/07
My vote is for the Browning A-Bolt Micro. They shoot great, use a magazine you can reach the lands with any bullet, especially the pointy plastic 40 grainers! The CZ is good too but uses a short magazine, but the single shot I tinkered with could be tempermental.
Posted By: tuck2 Re: Best .22 Hornet ? - 12/04/07
I have an old Kimber Mdl 82 22 Hornet, got tired of trying to find a good load for it and got a 221 Fireball.
Posted By: T_O_M Re: Best .22 Hornet ? - 12/04/07
Well ... there are two I'll un-recommend. 2 Ruger 77/22s and TC Contender. I had real problems with sloppy, oversized chambers and undersized brass. Twice with the Rugers I had case head separations with factory ammo. TC wasn't quite that bad but definitely not good enough. Never could reload a case from any of the three, after the first firing there was too much thinning at the web, head separation imminent.

I decided the best, most practical .22 hornet says ".221 fireball" on the case.
Posted By: Tod Re: Best .22 Hornet ? - 12/04/07
Another vote for the CZ-527. I punched mine out to K Hornet and dopped in a RifleBasix trigger. Outstanding little rifle for the money.
© 24hourcampfire