Home
Without going into too much detail, I am need to generate some immediate cash and have decided to sell some of my bolt action rifles.

No matter what, I am going to keep the following:
.22-250
.25-06

Of the following four rifles, I will most likely sell three of them:

A new Sako 85 Finnlight in .308 with Leupold Rings and a Leupold 2-7x33 with LR reticle. This one has two boxes of ammo through it.

A NIB Winchester M70 SS Featheweight with Walnut Stock, chambered in .30-06.

A Winchester SS Classic in .338WM. This one has a Bushnell 4200 scope and a HS Precision Stock.

A NIB Tikka T3 Lite in .300WSM. This gun is new, although the stock has been painted brown with black webbing.

I am leaning towards keeping either the .30-06 or the .330WSM. Either of these will be a great companion to my .270 and I doubt I will ever need more than power than what either of these can deliver with a 180gr TSX or similar bullet. With that in mind, the .338 seems like overkill and the .308 is too close to the .270 to warrant keeping it, although the .308 is the nicest rifle of any of them! I wish the Sako was chambered in .300WSM or .30-06. This decision would be a whole lot easier.

Anyway, I was just curious to see what you guys thought before I posted any of them in the classifieds forum. Your thoughts?
Keep the .338
Originally Posted by Tom264
Keep the .338

+1
Take a deep breath, count to ten and try to find another way to raise the cash. I did the same thing twenty some years ago and wondered why ever since. Haven't gotten rid of any guns since except a couple of dogs traded in on something else. Also, you never get a good price selling under duress.
Originally Posted by RugerHawk
A NIB Winchester M70 SS Featheweight with Walnut Stock, chambered in .30-06.

Those are sure good looking rifles, and I'm not even a Winchester kind of guy.
I agree with the above, keep the 338 WM.

You say that the 30-06 will complement your 270, but somehow the 308 is too close to it. confused There really isn't much real world difference in all three.

And your 270 is currently your "big gun". To keep another one that close to it, and not have anything bigger seems a bit crazy. While the 338 WM may seem like "overkill" (and for most things it is), it will certainly come in handy if you ever need something with a little more oomph than the 270 can provide. You probably won't use it much (but then again, if you have a 270 and 30-06, one of them isn't going to be used much either...), so hold on to it for that "someday" need.

Just my thoughts...
Keep the .338.

Hell, ditch everything except the .22-250 and the .25-06..... can't see much that a 100 gr. TSX wouldn't handle.
Sounds like some good advice to me (keeping the rifles and getting rid of something else). If that is not possible and you must sell your rifles you could keep the .22-250 for varmints, .270 or .308 for general use, and the .338 for heavy and dangerous game and have what you need to hunt anything in North America. Hope things turn out well for you with your problem. Odessa
Is the FWT a CRF? (classic)
Sounds like a difficult and painful position to be put in. If you really need to sell rifles for cash, I would suggest putting them all up for offers to see what you can get the best money for. I would think that the NIB's would be the most attractive to buyers, but it always depends on who's looking for what and how much they're willing to spend. There's no point in letting a rifle go for a 'bargain basement' price if the point is to make some money. So put them all up and see what offers come in. You can always decide what to keep once you have an idea of what rifles there is an interest in vs. not so much.
If the FWT is a CRF action, put it up for sale at around 850-900, it'll take awhile to sell and in the interim you can raise cash elsewhere. If you're out of the hole before the gun sells, all is well. If it sells, you've gotten a good price.

Yes. It is a 2006 model witht the Williams Extractor as well.
I'd drop either the 25-06 or the .270 as they are awefully similar. I'd probably keep your .22-250, .30-06 or the .270, and .338. Those would kill everything in NA
Sell the new rifles, you are not attached to them yet. You won't miss them.
Originally Posted by k3yston3
I'd drop either the 25-06 or the .270 as they are awefully similar. I'd probably keep your .22-250, .30-06 or the .270, and .338. Those would kill everything in NA

The reason the .25-06 and .270 are both being kept is for sentimental reasons. The .270 was my first gun and the .25-06 was passed down from my Father in-law.
Sentiment aside,I'd keep the 270 and the 338. There is nothing a 25/06 does that cannot be accomplished just as well or better with a 270; and the 338 is a solid step up for those (rare) occaissions that you need it. Frankly I can't think of a better two rifle combo for this continent.
I wouldn't put sentiment aside I'd keep the two that have value to you above all others.

If you're really pressed for cash and not wanting to really sell your rifles pm me, if we can work out what I feel is a fair price (IOW's if I had to flip em to get my money back it would be fast and painless on my part) or you could post your thoughts on prices here on the open forum. These hombres will keep us both straight.

I'll buy what I can, with the caveat you get can buy them back at the same price you sold them to me at any time, provided you pay for shipping both ways. I'm in Alaska so it might behoove you to find a buddy closer to home that will make you the same offer.

I've done it for pards before, kinda like a pawn shop, cept I'm not looking to make $$ off the deal.

I've been with $ and without $ when I needed them, so I know how you feel.

Just hate to see a guy permanently lose some firearms from a temporary situation.

If you are just wanting to sell them and prefer not to get them back I'd appreciate it if you'd try to sell them to someone else.

best of luck to ya,
Wow 1akhunter your a nice guy... smile not many people would make that offer.
Hey I've got this house..................oh..................never mind.
I would keep the 22-250, 25-06 and the 338. That would cover everything in North America. That 338 sounds like a sweet rig.
I would keep the 338Mag.You pretty much have all bases covered then!!!!
Sometimes a man needs cash more than he needs guns. All of my rifles could go if necessary to keep my family under a good roof. I've sold a few guns from time to time when I needed cash - and there are a couple that I regret selling, but it was necessary at the time.

Sometimes I actually miss the simplicity that came with having one .22 rimfire, one hunting rifle, a shotgun and one handgun...

Regards, Guy
Originally Posted by 1akhunter
I wouldn't put sentiment aside I'd keep the two that have value to you above all others.

If you're really pressed for cash and not wanting to really sell your rifles pm me, if we can work out what I feel is a fair price (IOW's if I had to flip em to get my money back it would be fast and painless on my part) or you could post your thoughts on prices here on the open forum. These hombres will keep us both straight.

I'll buy what I can, with the caveat you get can buy them back at the same price you sold them to me at any time, provided you pay for shipping both ways. I'm in Alaska so it might behoove you to find a buddy closer to home that will make you the same offer.

I've done it for pards before, kinda like a pawn shop, cept I'm not looking to make $$ off the deal.

I've been with $ and without $ when I needed them, so I know how you feel.

Just hate to see a guy permanently lose some firearms from a temporary situation.

If you are just wanting to sell them and prefer not to get them back I'd appreciate it if you'd try to sell them to someone else.

best of luck to ya,

Wow! That is a wonderful gesture, and I really appreciate it, but I'll be OK. I'm not forced to sell as in needing to put food on the table. I have an opportunity to expand my business and need some immediate cash flow, so I'm just exploring all my options. Truth is, I have felt the desire to slim down my hunting rifles for a while now anyway, as I feel that I have too much overlap. Needing the money for business purposes just helps make the decision to do so a little easier.

As for the comments, I understand what people are saying about the .338, but I have run several balistic scenarios and the .300 WSM actually beats the .338 downrange. For example, with Federal Factory ammo, a 180gr TSX out of the .300WSM is still traveling 2000fps and has over 1600fp of energy at 500 yards. The .338 at the same distance with a 225gr TSX is moving 1700fps and only has 1500fp of energy. These numbers seem far too close to keep the .338 over the .300, especially when I can use the .300 to shoot 130gr bullets as well, making it more versitle.

I am definately going to sell the Sako 85 Finnlight .308. I want to sell it as a full set up, with the scope, and will put it in the classifieds on Sunday. Whoever gets it will get the whole set up for the price of a new Sako, by itself.

I am still leaning towards selling the .338 and have had offers for the .30-06, so I will most likely sell it as well.

Don't feel sad for me. I'm doing this out of need, but it is a fair trade off in my mind, given what I want to do. Besides, I still have all my Lever guns, my AR's and more 10/22's than I am willing to admit! grin

If anyone is interested in these rifles, you can PM me. I will be putting at least one, maybe more in the classifieds tomorrow. Thanks to all!

Dan
the 30-06 is so useful as well. What do you hunt that would need the 338WM? If you would ever need the 338WM then that is the one to keep. The 270 is about the 30-06 anyway. I personally would hate to sell a SS WW featherweight in 30-06 with the classic action unless it was one of the last guns or so out of the defectory I mean factory.
Dan,

best of luck to ya,

if I had any sense I'd thin the herd a bit too.

but with two boys I reckon I'm gonna keep what I have to pass along.

will have some lh bolt rifles to do away with one of these days as the boys are both righties.

I'm glad to hear it's a decision and not a hard choice.

Hope the biz does well. Happy holidays to ya.
Keep the Winchesters. Especially the 06
I see some redundancy in the ones you are keeping. What can you do with a 25-06 that you can't do with a .270?
I can understand the 22-250, but I would keep either the 30-06 or .338 for either the .270 or 25-06.

I'm not sure if you noticed or not, but I put the Sako up in the classifieds a few days back. Had a few bites, but nobody wanted to buy the whole set-up, so I put it on Gunbroker tonight.

Just an FYI... I am going to put the .338 up in the campfire classifieds this evening. cry

Dan
Originally Posted by GuyM

Sometimes I actually miss the simplicity that came with having one .22 rimfire, one hunting rifle, a shotgun and one handgun...

Regards, Guy

Things were less complicated then.......and less expensive.
I am passed the stage when I would take them all out one at a time and look at them, I am getting rid of guns now, don't need the money but I just don't have time to reload for all of them and I just don't need safe queens. God grant me more days in the woods, more animals to see, more time at the deer camp or on trips with my friends, more laughter and happiness, and the serenity to care less about which rifle or caliber I am hunting with.
© 24hourcampfire