Home
Posted By: jbuck Weatherby vs, Sako - 01/27/08
So I was at the local fun shop recently and noticed the weatherby ultra-light and the Sako Finnlight are about the price, make that exactly the same price $1399. Which one is the better gun. The Weathery in .257 Weatherby, which I've been fond of for a while, or a 300 WSM, or any, in the Sako 85 Finnlight line. I have never owned either a Sako or a Weatherby. I did look at both and neither one did standout from the other. The Sako barrel was touching one side of the stock and the stock felt "flimsy." I was able to bend it from side to side very easy, compared to the Weatheby which was bedded in the center of the channel and was considerably stiffer.

Does anyone have experience or preference?
Posted By: RAS Re: Weatherby vs, Sako - 01/27/08
I have both brands and like them both. Both of mine are accurate. But for the same dough, I would probably take the Sako. I think Sako has a 5 shot MOA guarantee which is great for a factory rifle. That is a high price for a Weatherby UL. In the ballpark for a new Sako.

RAS
Posted By: djpaintless Re: Weatherby vs, Sako - 01/27/08
I had a Weatherby Ultra-Light in 338-06 and have 2 Finnlites, one in 270 Winchester and the other in 300 WSM. Here's how I would grade the advantages of one over the other:

Weatherby:
Stiffer Stock

Sako:
85's have better stock geometry
Smoother action
Better Trigger
More Accurate
Better magazine
Feeds Smoother
Windage adjustable mount system (with Optilocks)
Better bolt, 3 lugs fit better than 6
Better ejector, blade style
Holds more rounds in WSM's - 4 in mag

I think that the Weatherby Ultralights are good rifles, Sako Finnlites are Great rifles. Both of my Finnlites have shot better than 1/2 MOA at 200yds with premium hunting bullets. They handle great. I wouldn't mind hunting with a Weatherby Ultralight one bit but I'd trade one in a second for a Finnlite. My 2 Finnlites are about the last rifles I'd ever trade...............................DJ
Posted By: oldguns Re: Weatherby vs, Sako - 01/27/08
Take the Sako and don't look back.
Posted By: 7 STW Re: Weatherby vs, Sako - 01/27/08
Originally Posted by oldguns
Take the Sako and don't look back.

yuppers
Posted By: zxc Re: Weatherby vs, Sako - 01/27/08
my 2 rifle battery will be all sako
Posted By: harv3589 Re: Weatherby vs, Sako - 01/27/08
My one rifle battery is Sako, but when I do buy another it will be Sako.
Posted By: Pat85 Re: Weatherby vs, Sako - 01/28/08
sako, hands down
Posted By: handwerk Re: Weatherby vs, Sako - 01/28/08
Me too, sako all the way,DJ about pegged it.
Posted By: claycrusher Re: Weatherby vs, Sako - 01/28/08
All Sako's here.
Posted By: rembo Re: Weatherby vs, Sako - 01/28/08
Sako...have owned at least 10 of the older two lug versions, have one now in 7mm Rem Mag,great rifle.....just bought another in 308....I really should consider a new Sako 85......

harv3589....what model and caliber do you have?
Posted By: harv3589 Re: Weatherby vs, Sako - 01/28/08
Mine is the new Sako 85 Stainless/sythetic 30-06...it is one that I will have forever.

My hunting partner has the same but in a 270WSM, his shoots just as good.
Posted By: muleshoe Re: Weatherby vs, Sako - 01/28/08
...savage...
Posted By: 47stalker Re: Weatherby vs, Sako - 01/28/08
SAKO
Posted By: 300MAG Re: Weatherby vs, Sako - 01/28/08
Sako - hands down!!!!
Posted By: BCBrian Re: Weatherby vs, Sako - 01/28/08
Read Kutenay's review in the "Canada" section titled "B.C. Rifle".

I thought it was informative.
Posted By: MightyPeace Re: Weatherby vs, Sako - 01/28/08
I have 2 Sako model 75SS and 2 Tikka T3 LS rifle - LOVE THEM! Go for the SAKO. A buddy of mine was going to buy a Browning when I bought my first Sako m75SS. He was convinced into getting the Sako, and was sure glad he did. (Mind you when we bought our Sako m75SS 300WM, we paid $1200.00 new, now they are $1600+)

Posted By: Reloder28 Re: Weatherby vs, Sako - 01/29/08
I'd choose the Weatherby. Don't like the recoil lug setup on the Sako.
Posted By: lazyered Re: Weatherby vs, Sako - 01/29/08
Originally Posted by Reloder28
I'd choose the Weatherby.

I would too.
Becides that you get a American made gun in a much funner caliber in my opinion. In fact I have that very rifle (ultralite) and it is very accurate.
Posted By: JimR Re: Weatherby vs, Sako - 01/29/08
In the last two years, I've purchased a couple of Sako Finnlights and a couple of Weatherby Ultra Lights. So far, I have been happier with the Weatherbys. Accuracy is better, the fit and finish are equal, the weight of the Weatherby is less. Subjective, obviously, but I like the looks of the Weatherby better.
© 24hourcampfire