Home
big itch for the savage. liking the souper for premium brass (have lots available) and ability to go up or down in power... NO 284 for me this time. the roy has that end done....

am i missin' something? go souper? or just be happy with the savage? how far apart are they w/100's?

THANKS!

woofer
250AI and Souper are for all purposes the same. I get 3100fps with 100's in the 250AI, 3350 with 85gr X bullets. Seems standard 250 is about a couple hundred less.
no ackley this time... so there is a bigger jump than say 108'010100
08' to 06"

so
rry 3
my3
.0sorry my 1 year old is helphin0g0 smile

woofer
That's ok, I got more from that post than most on here.......
If it was me, I'd go Savage regardless of the numbers -- classic old gal with plenty for what it was designed for.
Too cute...warmed my heart
I've never had a souper, but currently load and shoot for 2 Savages. I get 2900 out of the Ruger 22", but back off to 2800 for the old M99. Either is plenty for anything you'd use a 100 grain bullet on. The last doe I shot this year was with the old Savage, 200 yards, nearly broadside and the Speer went through both shoulders. Your Roy would make hitting at real long range easier, but in normal hunting ranges there ain't no flies on the Savage.
My wife Olivia shoots .250 Savage with 100 TSX. 2900 and change. Going through mule deer and whitetail at a rate that's making me look bad.
What kind of action are you building on ?
Is it long enough for the Roberts ? The souper is prety cool, But so is the savage. In a modern action it can do prety darn well.
Sammi load data for ther savage is 46000 cup I think, so you can start at max if you are using say a model 7 remington.
One cool thing about the savage is it doesn.t take much powder to to a prety powerfull load.
All would be fun ...tj3006
Saw a mini mauser at the last gun show here in .250 Sav....

What a sweet looking rig. It had a 20" pencil barrel which made it handle fast, but hard to hold on target.

I think a 22-24" would have balanced it better and given it a little better ballistics to boot.

It had me looking hard at how to come up with a cheap donor....
I'd have'ta run the AI version though... just too cool!

Were I runnin a standard short like the 700, I probably go 25-08.
I have lots of rifles chambered in 250-3000 and only 1 chambered in 25 Souper, but if given the choice between the 2 I would rather shoot the faster 25 Souper. Actually, if I already had a good varmint rifle, I'd probably just opt for another 260, since the 260 will cover the same spectrum of game as the 250-3000 or 25 Souper will and allow you to use heavier bullets, if you think that you need to.

Jeff
.250-3000 just isn't quite right unless chambered in the Savage 99.......and a better, more enjoyable combination can't be found.
I have a 250-3000 in a win 70 classic compact. it is a real beauty and my kids have killed 10+ deer with it, all one-shot kills. The 250 is a great little cartridge!
ok. the savage wins.. 700 short by the way.. i would have had to rent the souper reamer anyway.. plus, if i get bored i will just open it up... smile

thanks guys...

woofer
If you get bored? Heck, that'll be next week. laugh
Originally Posted by Steelhead

You are a "Class act". wink wink

Doc
i see my wears are beginning to show smile i actually considered pulling the tube on the flyweight 7 and building a 25wsm smile the wheels never stop...

woofer
grin
The best looking factory production rifles offered in 250-3000 that I have seen or owned are the Ruger 77 RSI, Savage 1899 250-3000 Rifle, Savage 1920, Savage 99G, Savage 99F (post-WW2), and Winchester 70 Lightweight Carbine w/o sights.

If you cut a 250-3000 chamber, you can always upgrade to a 250 AI, 257AI, or 25-284 without having to set the barrel back. I have a blued Remington 7 action with a 24" Remington 700 Classic barrel bedded into a Remington 7 walnut stock that is a sharp looking rig. It is the smaller brother of a pair of identical rifles, 1 in 250-3000 and 1 in 300 Savage.

Jeff
Woof,

I think as we travel down our own individual road to ballistic Nirvana, we tend to become bored with the common chamberings. And thus the lesser known chamberings or the more exotic ones become more attractive. (At least, that applies to me... smile )

But realistically, I can't see where the .25 Souper has anything to offer that can't be had by one of the more common. If premium brass has some attraction, I think I'd go .250 AI and use 6.5x47 Lapua brass. But it's your itch and only YOU can scratch it. So it's your call. Keep us posted....

Grasshopper
i found the 25 souper appealing as it offered improved velocity (not mandated) over the 250 but not requiring the 284 case to get me a 25-06(too close to my weatherby)...

i have a short 700 (may swap for a 7 for weight smile dunno.. have way too many 700 stocks laying around... ss shilen mountain tube in 25 so i have everything i need for a short pipmin' quarter bore...

the savage will work for now.... maybe next week it will get another cut smile

woofer
I load RL15 or IMR4320 for 3000fps 100gr bullets in my 700 Classic 24" barrel and 3400 with 75gr Vmax. Have had to anneal the necks once, primer pockets still tight after 6-7 loadings. So just 100-200fps behind the AI or Souper. So my m70 Compact Classic is getting the AI treatment anyway. wink
I would stick with the faithful old 250-3000. Served me well this past season as it has time and time again!
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Steelhead

TFF, plus too true.

Ken,
Nice classic picture.
Kenster....good pic with the rifle
I just went through the same decision, asked the same questions, went with the 25-284 in my lefty 700. Wildcatshooterlongrange did me a real favor and made it happen. I'm setting it into a my stock today. Pics to follow.
Having worked with quite a few 25cal rifles; 250Sav and Improved, 257Roberts and Improved, 25CCR(wildcat), 25Souper and Improved, 25/06, 25/284, 257WSM, loading and hunting, I decided on the 25 Souper and have not regreted that decision. Still own some of the others but hunt with the Souper when I want a lighter weight rifle. I use 120gr bullets and it has not failed to kill all the whitetails I aimed it at. Any of them will work just fine and there is not that much difference between several of them.Rick.
stop it...

woofer
I just wanted a .25 caliber toy to play with so I orderd a 250-3000 sporter weight barrel from the T/C custom shop. The wait is 8 weeks.

Doc
© 24hourcampfire