Home
Posted By: firearms44 CZ 9.3X62 Talk me into one - 04/08/08
Guys, Tell me all about the CZ 9.3X62 and what you like about the caliber. Thinking about buying one to go with my 35 calibers.

Ken
Posted By: EZEARL Re: CZ 9.3X62 Talk me into one - 04/08/08
Take a look at this:
http://www.realguns.com/archives/152.htm

til later
Thanks Earl. Good stuff. I like it !

Ken
I received my 550FS 9.3X62 for Chistmas; she actually picked it out and ordered it herself. Maybe she just got tired of hearing me talk about CZ 9.3X62's?

I've shot about 200 rd's through it, mostly handloads, but it hasn't taken me hunting yet. It is the most accurate out of the box rifle I have ever owned; very easy to load for. The only negative was that the action was fairly rough and gritty. Good lubrication and cycling the action several times daily for about a month smoothed it up nicely.

Thanks Earl that is an interesting article with good photographs.
Hey H,since you have a 9.3x62mm CZ can you verify that it's got a 1-9.5 twist barrel. I've never seen one cartridge with such wide span of twists! 1-9.5 all the way to 1-16! I'm going 1-12.

til later
I measured mine after reading that some CZ's have 1-14" twist and, sure enough, mine is 1-14". I've done the math the best I can, and it seems 1-14" is fine for any bullet I might use. If I had a choice I would probably go with 1-12". However, like most things about this cartridge it doesn't seem to be fussy; I've read good reports of accuracy with rifling from 1-9.5" to 1-16".
I was told that 1-14 was FINE but why not make sure. So I'll go with 1-12 if I get any responses to my e-mails!
So your rifle is the same as the one in the article but has a 1-14 twist. Maybe a misprint in the article?

til later
CZ's catalogs and website all specify 1-9.5". I have read a forum thread ( either here or accurate reloading) in which guys posted their rifles' twists as measured; both twist rates seem to have been produced. Some articles may just be repeating CZ's published specs. The norm in Europe seems to be 1-14" so I'm OK with my 1-14" barrel. Jim
Good reason to get a CZ in 9.3 X 62 ?

The best reason of all......because you CAN.

That was my reason.

I thought this might be of interest:

[Linked Image]
From the article "Medium Mediums" by John Barsness.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Rifle: CZ 550 American in 9.3x62
Handload: 286 gr Woodleigh round nose at 2390 fps (chrono average)

The 9.3x62 has become one of my favorite cartridges. It will get close to the .375 H&H in power and do it from a standard length action and from a .30-06 size case.

BTW, JB's 286 gr Nosler load listed above at 2495 fps generates 3953 ft lb of energy. Not too shabby. My own handloads run right at 2400 fps which is still kicking up around 3658 ft lb of energy. That's a lot of "thump" from a .30-06 size case.

BTW: I measured the twist rate of my rifle and it's 1-14".

It's hard to go wrong with the 9.3x62, IMHO.

Cheers!
-Bob F.
[Linked Image]

I'm tryin! I'm tryin! Waitin for somebody to bore this thing out for me! Got a dummy round sittin on the gunsafe starein at me! Springs sprung! I'm gettin antsy!

til later
I was talked into trying a 9.3x62 a few months ago, and it instantly became my favorite all around caliber. It has proven to be my easiest to reload for and SUPER accurate. My 9.3x62 is in a Blaser R-93, and I have a 22" barrel and 20" barrel.

retrieverman,if both of your barrels are 9.3x62,what is the velocity difference if you would happen to know?

til later
I haven't had time to chronograph either barrel, but that is one of my projects for this summer.
I think I'm hooked, reel me in. I know that there are a couple on gunbroker. Thanks guys.

Ken
Will kill anything on the planet.
What else Do you need to hear?
If you want one get it.
M8x57
I'm now wondering what twists are in the new CZ's they have on the shelf.
http://www.reloadersnest.com/article_9362_oct2803.asp

[Linked Image]
Posted By: jimmyp Re: CZ 9.3X62 Talk me into one - 04/09/08
I had a FS in 308 once and the drop at comb combined with the high CZ steel rings made it almost impossible for me to get a good cheek weld. The gun was very accurate but was uncomfortable for me to shoot. I think I would opt for the CZ American, or perhaps there is a synthetic replacement stock for the 20 inch FS gun??
Posted By: EZEARL Re: CZ 9.3X62 Talk me into one - 04/09/08
VERY IMPRESSIVE group!!!!!!!
Thanks for the article to!

til later
I agree on the 2 different stocks. I think the CZ American will be my choice.

Nice target, heck of a group.

Ken
I stumbled across while cruising the web and thought it might be of interest:

=========================================

9,3x62 Buffalo Medicine

[Linked Image]

In April I hunted three buffalo in the Zambezi Valley with Swainsons Safaris operating the Dande North concession in the Zambezi Valley. That all three were killed with one shot each from my custom-built 9,3x62 could perhaps kill the old myth that this fine calibre is not suitable for such large and tough animals. Buffalo number one was a big cow (horns 39�") shot in the ehest from about 80 paces with a 286 gr Woodleigh solid, loaded to 2250 fps. At the shot the cow took off, but only managed about 50 paces before going down. My second buffalo was a very big bull (see photo) also shot from about 80 paces but this time with a 286gr Barnes-X loaded to 2220 fps. The bull was standing side an and I shot him an the right shoulder. He also ran off after giving the customary lurch and we found him about 30 to 40 paces away, stone dead. The bullet penetrated the shoulder, continued in a straight line through the chest cavity, over the top of the heart and was recovered under the skin of the far ribcage.

My last buffalo was a big dagga boy, which I shot whilst he was crossing a dry river bed. As he was going away from me at a slight angle, I placed the 286 gr Woodleigh solid about six-inches to the left of the tail root in the rump. He ran in a semi-circle towards us and went down in thick bush. This solid penetrated almost the fall length of the buffalo, going through his lungs and over the top of the heart as well. We recovered the bullet in the front of the chest cavity.

My hunt proved that the old 9,3x62, loaded with appropriate bullets, is still strong medicine for one of Africa's most sought-after trophies. PH Squirrel Meredith said to me that if I ever sold this rifle, he would not hunt with me again. Long live the 9,3x62!

Nigel Woodroffe

from: http://www.lima-wiederladetechnik.de/Englisch/9,3-mm-Bullet.htm
=========================================

Cheers!
-Bob F.

Posted By: Teeder Re: CZ 9.3X62 Talk me into one - 04/09/08
What are you going to hunt with it?
What are your .35's?
Posted By: TC1 Re: CZ 9.3X62 Talk me into one - 04/09/08
I had one for a while. It was the FS version. A nice rifle, but the action was a little gritty. It was very accurate too. I was in the middle of building a custom 9.3X62 when I aquired the CZ. After the Mauser was complete there was no need to to keep it any longer. Yea, I would buy another.

Terry
Posted By: Landrum Re: CZ 9.3X62 Talk me into one - 04/09/08
The only thing I don't like about the CZ 550 American is that the stock is a little clunky. I wish they would trim them up a bit. Otherwise, I cannot complain.

Landrum
Originally Posted by Landrum
The only thing I don't like about the CZ 550 American is that the stock is a little clunky. I wish they would trim them up a bit. Otherwise, I cannot complain.

Landrum

Although I really like the way my 550 American fits, I have read that CZ has a new trimmer lighter stock available in the American line.
Originally Posted by EZEARL
VERY IMPRESSIVE group!!!!!!!

It's important to remember that this is cyber space and tight little groups like this are posted all the time. In most cases they are very real, but can be some what of a fluke and may not be repeatable.

The accuracy of my CZ's is very real and very repeatable. I have no doubt in my mind that you will be very happy and impressed with the out of box accuracy of a new CZ.

Here is just another target from my CZ 9.3. This is a ten shot group with two different bullets at 100 yards. The group on the left is 5 rounds Speer 270gr/Ramshot BigGame, the group on the right is Nosler 286gr Partition/Ramshot BigGame.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: jimmyp Re: CZ 9.3X62 Talk me into one - 04/10/08
What is the real twist in the barrel? The CZ website continues to say 1 in 9.5?
Originally Posted by jimmypgeorgia
What is the real twist in the barrel? The CZ website continues to say 1 in 9.5?

IMHO, I think CZ's web site is incorrect in the twist rate listed. My guess is that is probably a typo or error by the web site programmer(s). (And in their printed catalogs also.)

This issue has come up several times in the past on several different forums that I visit. I don't recall anyone who has a CZ 550 in 9.3x62, that has actually measured the twist rate of their rifle, as coming up with anything besides a 1-14" twist rate. Of course, I freely admit I could be mistaken.

I have measured the twist rate of my CZ 550 American in 9.3x62 and it's got a 1-14" twist.

Do any forum members here, that have actually measured the twist rate of their rifles, have a CZ 550 in 9.3x62 that has a 1-9.5" twist?? If so, please chime in on this thread!!

Cheers!
-Bob F. smile
Teeder, My 35's are as follows : 35 Rem, 356 Win, 358 Win, 35 Whelen and 350 Mag. Some of these calibers I have several rifles of each. I know the 9.3X62 sits right there with the performance of some of the 35 calibers, but the heavier slugs would be super thumpers. I would use it for moose, bear and deer. Also, just another reason to buy 1 more rifle, a different caliber. grin

Ken
firearms44,

Sweet! Nothing wrong with having different rifles chambered for different cartridges! In addition to my 9.3x62, I also have rifles in .338 Win Mag, .35 Whelen, and .375 H&H (for my medium bores). I'm a big .35 Whelen fan though I haven't hunted anything with mine yet. I also like my .338 and my .375 but, I gotta tell ya, I REALLY like my 9.3x62. It's a real sweet cartridge, IMHO.

So.... If you want a 9.3x62, then get one! If you like the .35 caliber cartridges (which you obviously do!) then I think you'll really like the good ol' 9.3x62.

Cheers!
-Bob F.
Posted By: Teeder Re: CZ 9.3X62 Talk me into one - 04/10/08
Originally Posted by firearms44
Teeder, My 35's are as follows : 35 Rem, 356 Win, 358 Win, 35 Whelen and 350 Mag. Some of these calibers I have several rifles of each. I know the 9.3X62 sits right there with the performance of some of the 35 calibers, but the heavier slugs would be super thumpers. I would use it for moose, bear and deer. Also, just another reason to buy 1 more rifle, a different caliber. grin

Ken

With what you wrote, I can't see any reason in the world why you shouldn't buy 1! grin
Steve, What scope do you have on your Rifle ? That is one heck of a nice target. Nice shooting. I'm thinking maybe a Leupold VX 1 1X4 Heavy Duplex. I know it's a shotgun scope but the reticle is heavy and I have 1 mounted on my 405 Win. Was thinking weight factor and short.

Ken
I'm running an El Paso Weaver K4 on my 550FS, 9.3x62, and she's a heavy favorite....
Posted By: Pete E Re: CZ 9.3X62 Talk me into one - 04/10/08
I have a CZ550 American in 9.3x62mm and love it..Took it to RSA topped with a Meopta 4x32mm and it was a pleasure to hunt with..

Last Saturday I was down at the range zeroing a couple of rifles and towards the end of the afternoon decided to try the CZ with a new Zeiss 2.5-10x42mm that was bought for another project in the pipe line..

As I'd left things late I didn't have much time to play, but after chasing about trying to get a round on the target board, the actual zeroing went smoothly enough..Once zeroed, I then shot two final 3 round groups to confirm...one was right on .5" and the other a fraction bigger...Transposed, all 6 shots would have gone in .75"!

The only problem now is the Zeiss has found a new home on the CZ and I need another for the project!

This was using 286grn Barnes X (2005 vintage) over RL15 in a Lapua case...

When I first bought the rifle ,I tried a few loads using the 270grn Speers, but couldn't get anything better than 1.5" groups but I intended to to do some more load development in the summer....

Regards,

Pete
Posted By: 340boy Re: CZ 9.3X62 Talk me into one - 04/10/08
Another fan of the CZ 550 American in 9.3X62.
Mine shoots little bitty groups with the 286gr partition.

Mine is scoped with a Swarovski 3-9X42 with Talley rings.

One of my favorite rifles & calibers.
If you can afford it, do it. That is only other chambering for which I still have a measureable hankering.
When I shot these groups my scope was a 3-9x40 Bushnell 4200. Now it has a Sightron SII 2.5-10x32.
+1 for the CZ550 American, mine will shoot under 1" with the two weights I have tried so far 232 Norma and 250 Barnes TSX. The stock is a bit thick, but nice checkering and grain for the price. The action was a bit rough but smoothed up just fine with a bit of 1000 grit. Scope is a Burris 1.75 to 5 Safari with posi loc. A great setup for the money. It will do anything from deer to elephants. Go for it you will not be disappointed
Great feed-back. All happy campers. I'm sold and it's at the top of the list. Thanks.

Ken
Posted By: GSSP Re: CZ 9.3X62 Talk me into one - 04/11/08
Someone recently approached me from this forum since I was in the market. A 4 yr old CZ550 in 9.3x62, about 200 rds through it, Talley Lever Release rings, NECG island rear sight with 1-fixed and 1-flip up, NECG front sight, replaced the plastic follower with a metal one. Too good to pass up for the $. He got the check yesterday and says it's going out today. Hope to receive it by 18 April.

I've got all the stuff necessary to reload, Redding dies, Lapua cases, 5 boxes of 286 gr Partitions, Rel 15, Big Game, Varget, H4895, H414 and H4350, WLR or Fed 210M primers. Picked up a new VXII 2-7x33 w/ the LR Duplex reticle, extra Talley Lever Release rings for an older M8 4x which will used for backup.

I've got a McMillan CZ550 stock on order but I'm leary about their delivery time of 4 to 5-1/2 months. Worst case scenario would be about 1 Sept and I should be heading up for a Brown Bear hunt the same month. McMillan WILL NOT put a 9.3x62 CZ550 in their Edge stock. Lynn @ McMillan said the barrel contour is too large. Checked w/ Darcy Echols and same thing. So I've got three options.

1. Pray McMillan delivers on time.
2. I've got Ed Plummer of American Hunting Rifles sending me one of his AHR fiberglass stocks in black heading my way, so I can at least handle and weigh it. Either way I send it back for a full refund or the rifle goes with it for a bedding and green paint job.
3. Somehow waterproof the wood stock on the CZ550 and make it impervioius to moisture and warpage. One of the Bronells Tech Support guys emailed me with a list of three products to seal the stock both inside and out and a spray on metal finish.

I've sent an email to CZ to see if I can obtain one of their 3-position safetys. I don't really care for the W70 style nor the cost to install/but it since I'm used to a Rem 700 safety and the CZ style suits me fine.

I might have AHR GunKote my rifle in black as well.

Loaded up a 286 gr Partition dummy round the other day and carry it around with me through out the day so I can pull it out when I want and oogle it.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[img]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c129/GSSP/CZ550frontsightright.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c129/GSSP/CZ550actionopenfromright.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c129/GSSP/CZ550closeright.jpg[/img]
Please post pictures of the AHR stock when you receive it! I have the McMillan version which has been discontinued and am interested to see how close the AHR stock and the older McMillan pattern are.
Posted By: jimmyp Re: CZ 9.3X62 Talk me into one - 04/12/08
Does anyone else make a light synthetic stock for the rifle?
Posted By: mad ox Re: CZ 9.3X62 Talk me into one - 04/27/08
Steve,

What's the eye relief on that SII that you have on the 9.3?
I'm thinkinG of a Luepold 2-7 x 32 or a Nikon 2.5-10 x 42 on
my 9.3 that I'm ordering tomorrow.

This caliber is on my wish list (To Buy) List also. It's a matter of time until the right one comes my way.
Originally Posted by mad ox
Steve,

What's the eye relief on that SII that you have on the 9.3?
I'm thinkinG of a Luepold 2-7 x 32 or a Nikon 2.5-10 x 42 on
my 9.3 that I'm ordering tomorrow.

http://www.swfa.com/pc-10601-1514-sightron-25-10x32-sii-riflescope.aspx
That is a nice rifle in a great caliber..I have shot a lot of game with the 9.3x62 over the years including Cape Buffalo..I really like the 320 gr. Woodleighs, but only in a 26 inch tube as I can get a good deal more velocity with the long tube, the 9.3 just likes long barrels and RL-15 in most of the 9.3s I have owned...

If the gun were mine I would keep that nice wood stock, glass bed it and get on with my hunting..I would spend all that extra money your wasting on plastic for bullets and powder...
Posted By: GSSP Re: CZ 9.3X62 Talk me into one - 04/28/08
Oregon45,

Here are a few pics I just took. Sorry about the quality and the small quantity. I have to use my home computer and it's horribly slow dialup to down load pics.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Now, when I talked to Ed Plummer, I mentioned that I had heard his AHR CZ stocks were made by McMillan and his response, if I remember correctly, was nothing good to say about McMillan. I didn't ask why. Now I wish I had. As you'll note, the stock I got from his clearly has a McMillan stamp in the barrel channel just forward of the swivel stud and an AHR stamp just behind it.

The AHR stock weighs 1 lb 14 oz and the CZ stock weighs 2 lb 7 oz. Also, as you can see the CZ stock is a bit longer and the forend stud is farther forward.

To be honest, I like them both. I like the more carefree attitude I get with a fiberglass stock as well as the lighter weight. The wood, to me, sure is beattiful though, cheaper too. Suppose I "should" choose one. Don't really need to, do I?

These are the pics Ed Plummer sent me of one of his finished rifles with a grey stock and black GunKote on the metal. I'm thinking some shade of green myself.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Thank you for the pictures; I have a McMillan CZ AHR stock that I bought through this site and it looks very similar, perhaps a bit shorter in the forearm. How thick is the comb, and have you shot the gun at all with iron sights? My only complaint with my McMillan is that the comb is quite narrow and punches me hard in the cheekbone every time I shoot the gun with the factory irons.
Oregon45,

Here, I'll let you decide if the comb is thin/thick, though it looks a little thin to me.

[Linked Image]

I've only shot the rifle w/ the original wood stock w/ a VXII 2-7x33 w/ LR Duplex reticle. The AHR stock does not have the inletting in the forearm for the barrel lug. I'll need to send both the barreled action and AHR stock back to AHR for bedding.
I just tapped out the lug on the bottom of my 9.3x62 and bolted the gun in without bedding; it shoots the same as it did before. That comb looks identical to the one on my McMillan.
Ed is suppose to finish up and ship out my 9,3x62 this coming week. Can't wait as I intend to bloody it on my upcoming bear hunt!
Ed is suppose to finish up and ship out my 9,3x62 this coming week. Can't wait as I intend to bloody it on my upcoming bear hunt!

Pics! Pics! Pics!

Please whistle
congrats
Originally Posted by FOsteology

Where you headed?
Originally Posted by bearstalker
Where you headed?

Northern Saskatchewan.

It's a group hunt with some friends, and is setup primarily as a "bucket hunt". However, I'm going to go against the grain and use my predator calls to hopefully lure in a good bruin.
© 24hourcampfire