Home
I've been looking at the NULA's for almost two years now and will probably pull the trigger here this month, but I cant even begin to figure out what caliber to buy it in.

I thought for a while about .243 or 257 Roberts, but have a .243 already inbound.

Started thinking about .25-284 or 6.5-284, but would like a caliber that I can buy ammo for off the shelf when hunting in other states.

Really started thinking 7WSM, but just not sure about that one. Now I've been considering just going with the tried and trued .308, but no many people that lament the shortcomings of "Old Reliable."

I guess this post is just meant to try and get some of my thoughts down in print and bounce them off some like minded individuals and see what they have to say.

Rifle would be a "do all ultralight" gun to be used on everything from varmints to Moose and whenever I didn't want to pack any of the heavier guns.
Easy---get a 284 Win NULA. Otherwise, just get a 270, 280, or 30-06. No wildcats, they all blow, unless you have a vivid imagination and lots of free time.

That's all you really need for an all round rifle.

I bought a NULA last year in 30/06. like you i wanted this to be a versitile, all around rifle. With the 30/06 I'm comfortable hunting anything in north america other than the big bears. This rifle in this caliber is so pleasant to shoot that I am really glad I didn't order it in one the less powerful rounds I was considering.
One and only one ultra for me would be the Little Sky in 7/08 or 308.

I'd take the 2 g's or so that I saved by not buying the NULA and stick it in the hunt fund.

My thoughts about those that poopoo the 308, either they've little or no experience with it and or they have their own agenda (like another short action round so they pound heck on the 308 to try to swade folks to their round....a realitively sick way of feeding ones ego I might add)

Lastly, as much as I like the cals that aren't the norm there is no way that my serious travel rifle would be anything other than a mainstream round. And that's the main reason why I didn't say 260.

Good luck on your decision.

Dober
As much as most would hate to say, 308 would probably fit your bill nicely, as would any number of common chamberings. If you want ammo availability, probably wise to consider the 308, 30-06, and 270 and to an extent the 7mm-08 and 280. If you're in dire need for a magnum, any of the WSMs would work, though ammo is a bit harder to find.
I guess your saying that the 260 isn't mainstream then? Damn, I really like the 260, that's harsh wink
Originally Posted by ULA24
I guess your saying that the 260 isn't mainstream then? Damn, I really like the 260, that's harsh wink

Hey, don't get me wrong, I'm a 6.5 slut all the way! The 260 is a wonderful little cartridge that unfortunately has not had as much success as it deserves.
Easy---get a 284 Win NULA. Otherwise, just get a 270, 280, or 30-06. No wildcats, they all blow, unless you have a vivid imagination and lots of free time.

That's all you really need for an all round rifle.
I guess 280 is an option, I have one in the safe right now that is a dream to shoot. Love those pre-T3 Tikka's. Wasn't even leaning that way yet. the 280 would also solve the issue of having a duplicate cartridge rifle for the serious trips...

As for magnums, I've never felt the need for them. For many years my dad insisted on packing his 375H&H or other big gun, until he realized that perfectly good 270 in the safe weighed in one hell of a lot less.
Because I love the cartridge, I'd be tempted to go 280 and probably AI. But a 7mm-08 would be just as good for real world hunting. 120 V-Max's and TSX's and call it good.

That sounds kinda familiar...
Ya know... thinking back, I've never even handled or shot a 7-08. Might have to try and get my hands on one and see how it treats me.

Could you consider it a "compromise" between the 280 and the 308?
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski

I'd take the 2 g's or so that I saved by not buying the NULA and stick it in the hunt fund.

My thoughts about those that poopoo the 308, either they've little or no experience with it and or they have their own agenda (like another short action round so they pound heck on the 308 to try to swade folks to their round....a realitively sick way of feeding ones ego I might add)

Lastly, as much as I like the cals that aren't the norm there is no way that my serious travel rifle would be anything other than a mainstream round. And that's the main reason why I didn't say 260.

Good luck on your decision.

Dober

I could not agree more. I'd also consider a REM 700 MTN LSS in 7mm-08 too. I have a REM 600 in 7mm-08 (#1 contour) w/ an McMillan EDGE stock. All three are light done right.

RH
Originally Posted by Supper
Ya know... thinking back, I've never even handled or shot a 7-08. Might have to try and get my hands on one and see how it treats me.

Could you consider it a "compromise" between the 280 and the 308?

I think you could say that to a degree, it's a pretty good compromise. It's not glamorous, just does it's job. Very reloadable, great selection of bullets, though factory ammo isn't as available as 308, though I think it's as much or more readily available than the 280
My ultra light is a rem ti .308 win. Micky edge stock and lupy 6x36.

well at least when the stock finally gets here. I say get the .308
I don't think it's a compromise in any way compared to a 308, I'll take the 7mm-08. But that is subjective, there's really not much difference for the average hunter.

As far as the 280AI goes, it gets 350 fps more than the 7mm-08 with hunting weight bullets so it shoots a fair bit flatter.
Had your same problem about this time last year. This was my solution: Kimber 84M Montana in 308 Win with Leupold VXIII 2.5x8x36mm with Leupold rings/bases and Uncle Mike's Mountain Sling. Total package approximately $1,600.00. Total weight? Dunno... Probably a "hair over 6 pounds." Will the 308 "get er done?" You bet your azz it will! Don't you let anyone try to tell you the 308 can't fill this niche for you. Do as suggested. Go get you one, be happy, put all of the money you'll save toward other things, and go hunting.

Attached picture 9828-IMG_1862.JPG
I was out at my gunsmiths on Saturday. I can't wait until I get my Kimber Montana back, its a 308 as well. Nice little rifle, and it shoots one holer's. It just won't feed. I'm sure he'll have it straightened out soon. I even have a new Loopy fixed 4 power in the gun safe to go on it when I get it back. Then it'll be my go-to gun, after I shoot the crap out of it and make sure its going to run.

I also really like my Tikka T3 Lite in 338 Federal. Thats another flyweight, and I'll kill something with it real soon smile Its spring bear season right now, but it'll be a couple weeks yet before I'll get after them (they're still sleeping I'm sure)
I have a ULA Model 20 built in 1990. It's in 284 Win. I shoot 140 grain partitions w. 55 grains of IMR 4350. You can load them yourself or have someone like Superior Ammunition load them for you. Melvin Forbes recommended this load for the 284. You can buy factory ammo in 150 PP. I use a 6X Leupold Compact on mine and have killed several sheep, caribou, elk, mtn. goats, etc. with it. Great rifle, very accurate, lightweight, kills everything you point it at. Just my 2 cents.
JasonK's 257 Roy. <grin>

I have three lightweights - none of them full customs:
700 Custom KS's in 280 & 30.06 and a Lil Sky in 308. If I had to choose just one of those three, it'd be the 280.
I've one of the Gander Mountian SS Mountain Guides (SA Mountain rifle in a TI stock) and a Montana in 7-08. Both of them are stupid easy to shoot and do the 120gn V-max/TSX swapaloo, and that combo will run the same POI to at least 600yds. The Rem is just a shade over 7# W/a 4.5-14x40 Leupold and DD's. The Kimber is 6.6# in Kimber windage adjustable bases and a 4.5-14x40 B&C reticle. The Rem holds the edge off the bench, I shoot the Kimber better from field positions.
With all due respect to those who have had good luck with Kimbers, I have not, and in any case the question is about calibers, not rifle makers.

Caliber depends upon what you value most in a traveling rifle. If it's factory ammo availability, you're pretty much limited to 243, 270, 308, and 30-06, especially outside of North America. Inside NA, you can add a few more rounds, including the 7mm-08, 300 Win Mag and WSM, and some others.

Excess hype about stock design can take you only so far - lightweight rifles and heavy bullets will push you around more than heavier ones. Consider how much practice you intend, as well as how many hunting shots - recoil effects are cumulative.

Check "Aussie Gun Writer's" comments recently on his "go-to" rifle - it's a 275 Rigby - "It knocks the crap out of everything except me," or words to that effect. Another mangled quote (from Dogzapper, maybe?): "It's holes that kill animals, not energy." There are others that will shoot flatter than the 7mm-08, but it's hard to believe they'd kill an animal any deader...

If ammo availability in travel isn't an issue, and Mule Deer has not seen it to be, then the choice is wide open.

I have one real suggestion, if you should buy a NULA. Explore options, sure, ask advice, but in the end buy what you want, not what you think you should buy. I bought a NULA 30-06, a cartridge I've never cared for, because of ammo availability and because it was "well-balanced," whatever that means. I liked the rifle but not the cartridge, and it's now sold and I'm back where I was two years ago. It's much cheaper in the long run to scratch the itch the first time than to have to buy another backscratcher.

My Ultra-light is an accurized 7mm-08 Remington Titanium.

With it, I feel TOTALLY prepared for anything British Columbia can throw at me.

I shoot Barnes X's and TSX's from 120 grain to 175 grain in it.
I have a Weatherby Ultra Light in 270,shoots about an inch with factory Hornady 140s for three shots. I can't imagine anything really getting the job done much better than this rifle.

My buddy has one in 280 and he likes his too.

Britt

Not to compare the farm here in CT to Wyoming but I have Montana's in 308, 243 and 270 WSM and a M70 7mm WSM with a Bansner on it thats not too heavy.

If the carry and hunt is not that steep or long then the Kimber magnum only weighs 7 lbs scoped and it has long legs. If it's real hard going or forest then a 84M is so sweet. As Dober says get the Montana and save your money for something else.

[Linked Image]
Another vote with Dober and the others recommending a Kimber 84M.

Mine is a 7-08, and just couldn't be much better as a lightweight.

It shoots lights out, and handles like a dream. The recoil with 140's still feels mighty close to 243 levels to me - don't discount stock design in a lightweight if you're going with something with much juice.

DJ
Another vote for 7-08, mine is a 700 Ti I carry when I want to go light.

I was always a bigger caliber guy until I saw friends in Colorado taking Mule Deer and cow Elk year after year with their "little" 7-08.
Easy---get a 284 Win NULA. That's all you really need for an all round rifle.

That would really be sweet! A 6.5-284 would be nice too in Forbes' longer mag box.
Originally Posted by himmelrr
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski

Dober

I could not agree more. I'd also consider a REM 700 MTN LSS in 7mm-08 too. I have a REM 600 in 7mm-08 (#1 contour) w/ an McMillan EDGE stock. All three are light done right.

RH

Two comments- plus one to Dober's thoughts; the little Kimber would be a great choice.

Second, I have a Rem M700 MTN LSS in 7mm-08, and it's NOT a light rifle, mainly because of the stock. Don't get me wrong- I like it, a lot. But it's no lightweight.

-jeff
I started using the Tikka T3's in 2004 and thought it was the Cats Meow for a lightweight rifle. They are real light and shoot exceptionally well in the accuracy department and arent finicky about ammo. But after having some durability concerns with them decided to sell a few of them and buy one rock solid SOB lightweight mountain rifle. The three I went specifically to look at were the Rem Ti, the Kimber Montana, and the Sako FinnLite. While handling each of them and shouldering them, working the bolt and such the guy behind the counter handed me a ULA and I about chit! I couldn't believe how light it was but when I looked at the $2300 sticker I about chit once again. I just couldn't justify that much money for a niche rifle that I would surely beat the crap out of in a matter of time no matter how hard I tried. They are fine rifles and I still fondle that ULA from time to time as they usually have one in stock. In the end I went with the Kimber Montana and dont regret it one bit.

Rifle would be a "do all ultralight" gun to be used on everything from varmints to Moose and whenever I didn't want to pack any of the heavier guns.

A Tikka T3 lite in .270 WSM would be a nice rig in the 6 pound class.
THanks for all the comments guys.

Originally Posted by StrayDog
A Tikka T3 lite in .270 WSM would be a nice rig in the 6 pound class.

With all the T3's popping up, I'm going to make this comment:

I will never, and I mean never, buy a T3. With the M695 and the M795 Tikkas in the stable there is no comparison between what a "good" Tikka was, and what the T3 is. Don't get me wrong, you guys might love your T3's and have awesome luck with them; I just will never own one.

I've been eyeballin the Kimber Montana's for a long time now, I'll have to go see if I can make one blush in the store just to feel how she'll fit.
Originally Posted by Terry_Marcum
I have a ULA Model 20 built in 1990. It's in 284 Win. I shoot 140 grain partitions w. 55 grains of IMR 4350. You can load them yourself or have someone like Superior Ammunition load them for you. Melvin Forbes recommended this load for the 284. You can buy factory ammo in 150 PP. I use a 6X Leupold Compact on mine and have killed several sheep, caribou, elk, mtn. goats, etc. with it. Great rifle, very accurate, lightweight, kills everything you point it at. Just my 2 cents.

That's really impressive, as far as that load goes. I shoot 55gr of IMR-4350 out my 280 with 140 gr BTs, and that is a few grains over book max for that. Do you have a long throated chamber or anything?
Here is a picture of AlaskaCub with a Kimber. Of all the pictures posted here this is my favorite.

[Linked Image]
Out of my own collection, the one ultralight I would keep-if I could own only 1 rifle would be my Kimber Montana 308win.

Be careful, as I have stated before you will have a hard time hunting with any of your heavier guns after you get used to the Ultralights! You will have a bunch of safe queens!
There's one thing extra you should think about.

Tikka GUARANTEES 3 shots into an inch at 100 yards.
Kimber GUARANTEES NOTHING.
I feel safer with a Kimber. I am not fond of how Beretta handled the last Tikka/Sako problem.
That is a fine ram and a great photo.
To come back to the topic at hand, my NULA is a .338-06. When I run out of bullets I'm going to rebarrel to plain ole 30-06. It will then be perfect for all of my future needs.
Kimber in 7-08. Iffen it does not shoot, you can get it rebarreled rebedded and still have a nice chunk to put down on a hunt.
Originally Posted by BCBrian

your point being... ???

I'll definately check out a Montana if any of the gun shops I'm in over the next month has one in stock. If I go with a Montana, most likely will just get it in 7wsm so it will match up with my heavy target gun.
Realistic- Kimber Montana 7WSM
Unlikely- Something by Jim Borden In 7WSM

Roy
For me and my budget, I'd pick a Kimber Montana 7WSM.
Originally Posted by BCBrian

Nor does Kimber stand behind their product...
Originally Posted by Savage_99
I feel safer with a Kimber. I am not fond of how Beretta handled the last Tikka/Sako problem.

Sako/Tikka fixed that problem...Kimber?
No it's a regular Ultra Lite Arms throat. Bullets aren't seated way out there or anything. This is the load Melvin Forbes, ULA's founder, recommends to everyone for the 284 Win. I think it's around 3000 from a 22" Douglas barrel that comes on it. I haven't chronoed it in years. This is all I've ever shot out of this rifle. It works so I stick with it.
I've got a Ruger stainless lam Compact, 7mm-08 that is my favorite lightweight rifle.
Have had a Weatherby ultralight in .280, a Remmmie #7 in 7-08, and a 700 LSS Mtn. rifle in .260.
Have a Leupold 6X36 on the Compact, and shoot 140 TSX'es in it. Figure I'm set for deer, bear, or elk here in Oregon.
Virgil B.
Originally Posted by Savage_99

I'm going to take my belt off to your azz! confused
Supper--
You said in your first post that being able to buy ammo in a pinch was a factor in your decision. In that case, I think 308 is the best choice. The chance of finding 7-08 goes down, 260 even lower, and 284 way down.

You could buy 3 Kimbers for the price of a NULA, and sell the two that shoot the least well for a few hundred less than you paid.

I have a NULA, and like it fine, but if I were right handed, there would be some Kimbers in the safe.
I already own my one and only Ultralight.....It's an old tang safety Ruger Ultralight in .308 with a 4X Redfield. Perfect deer/hog gun in my part of the world.....JMHO
I have a Colt Light Rifle in 270Win (Copy of a M24 ULA)that shoots very well. I also have one of the older Rem Mountain rifles in 280, it also shoots well first two about .5" the third about 1.5"off. If I were order a new NULA arms it would be in 7 x 57mm could take 95% of game in the world. The M20 NULA action is especially made for this cartidge.
© 24hourcampfire