Home
What works on the aluminum tube to hide marring, etc?
A Sharpie works well.
I kind of like those little nicks, dings, scratches, and scuffs my rifles pick up by being carried into rough remote places. I look at them as character marks.

I bumped into a fella on a trail in the Bighorns a few years ago and we both happened to need a breather so we sat down and shot the breeze a few minutes. We compared rifles as you might guess and he asked to have a look at mine. He looked my 22 year old 270 over for a minute and said the elk had better beware on this day because that was an experienced rifle. He couldnt have paid it a higher compliment.
Uh, yeah, but that's not the question.

Personally I don't mind marks, just wanting to sell a scope and touch up a little mark to please the new owner.

Sharpies rub off.
A bluing Pen may work Brad, depending on the finish of the scope, gloss or matte?
Tim, matte but wouldn't matter to me... I've tried a bluing pen (for aluminum) years back and it wouldn't take... seems to me it was a Beechwood Casey product?????
Yeah, that is what I was thinking of Brad, the Beechwood Casey bluing pen.
Good to know that the aluminum won't hold on to the 'paint.'

I wonder if just some Testors enamel model airplane paint would work, using a fine brush to apply it??
Originally Posted by Brad
Uh, yeah, but that's not the question.

Personally I don't mind marks, just wanting to sell a scope and touch up a little mark to please the new owner.

Sharpies rub off.

Didnt know your intent was to spruce it up for sale.

Sounds like the best you can do is get the right paint to match the original finish and put it on with a toothpick or something.
Rhino Bed Liner, then jack the price up 150.00 due to it being armored
grin
I used a black paint pen to hide marks a friend left on his scope when he used a pair of pliers shocked to loosen the locking ring on the eye piece. He was happy with it but I would not try to hide marks on a scope I was trying to sell.
I'm not "hiding" anything... full disclosure WILL be made... it's a tiny scratch anyway.
If it's a 6X36LR I call first dibs.
Noper grin
Awwwww man....grin

You must have brought this warm weather back with you Brad.

Damn it's nice out.

Winter is OFFICIALLY over!

Until next Wednesday anyway.......ha
Well, if a knockoff product made by Beechwood Casey didn't work, I'd try the real thing made by BIRchwood Casey. Sorry Brad, other than that I don't know what to tell ya. grin
Be nice if somebody made a Graphite black cerakote touch up pen! smile
Powerguy: I won't laugh at the Rhino bedliner. Butch Searcy used to use it or something similar to provide a tough, non-slip finish to synthetic rifle stocks and it works very well.My 375 H&H stock(a Brown Precision) was finished that way back in the 80's and the stuff is tough beyond compare.

Not to hijack the thread but it popped into my mind.....
I believe it's Birchwood Casey that makes a product called "Aluminum Black", that's what you want.
If you feel like buying a can of Alumn-Hide II spray from Brownells, you could spray a bit in a cantainer and use a q-tip.
Marks alot pen matches Leupold scopes..
© 24hourcampfire