Home
Posted By: leomort Diamonds & Guns - 06/09/08
Hey you married guys,

Ever notice how much smoothly your gun, scope, etc purchase goes when the Mrs get some diamonds or jewerly? Despicable bribery, but necessary evil....unfortunately :0

Hmm, wonder if theirs cheaper way.......smuggling perhaps? lol! Although there'd be hell to pay later!
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Diamonds & Guns - 06/09/08
Never understood how someone can't do what they want with the money they earn.
Posted By: leomort Re: Diamonds & Guns - 06/09/08
Easy, When you get married "your" money becomes "our" money.

Men have a hard time understand why women need 12 dozen different shoes, while women wonder why men need all those guns. wink
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Diamonds & Guns - 06/09/08
It only becomes 'our' if you allow it. Of course most men are defeated, it's the times we live in.
Posted By: safariman Re: Diamonds & Guns - 06/09/08
Forgiveness is easier to obtain than permission! smile

Steelhead, are you on active duty nowadays? I just noticed your avatar and signature line to read some such.
Steelhead,

Well, in divorce court it all becomes hers anyways. Chose you poison.

Safariman,

Yep, done that too. But you can't back to that well too often unless you want reprecussions.
Wanted to add, its not about whether your a man or not, our it's "your" money vs "our" but more about mutual respect for each.

I'm sure husbands wouldn't appreciate it if their wive's just arbitrarily decide to go blow $2,500 or more on the stuff they'd like.

All I am saying is that you catch more flies with honey than vinegor.
Posted By: rattler Re: Diamonds & Guns - 06/09/08
only rule is i cant buy a rifle that i wont let her shoot(her ex refused to let her touch a gun)....doesnt mean i cant have a gun that she cant shoot....if ive got a 7 pound 416 Rigby and she decideds she wants to shoot it i have to let her.....but i HAVE to warn her about the recoil...grin she would rather me spend money on guns than jewelry anyway.....she aint big on jewelry.....
Posted By: Mark R Dobrenski Re: Diamonds & Guns - 06/09/08
Originally Posted by leomort
Wanted to add, its not about whether your a man or not, our it's "your" money vs "our" but more about mutual respect for each.

Very well said.

My wife and I have absolutely no issues with this, we simply keep lines of communique open and respect each other and respect our budgets and it all works out.

Dober
Posted By: High_Brass Re: Diamonds & Guns - 06/09/08
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski

Very well said.

My wife and I have absolutely no issues with this, we simply keep lines of communique open and respect each other and respect our budgets and it all works out.

Dober

+100
Posted By: Jeff_O Re: Diamonds & Guns - 06/09/08
Originally Posted by Steelhead
It only becomes 'our' if you allow it. Of course most men are defeated, it's the times we live in.

I call BS.
Posted By: Joel/AK Re: Diamonds & Guns - 06/10/08
I got smart before we got married. her engagement ring was a ruger SBH in 44mag. She loves it, after 12 years she is still bugging me to have "my diamond" engraved on it.

Another time I pissed her off and to make up I bought her a mossberg 500. she refers to it as her bouquet of flowers.

I tried to train her right from the get go about guns as a priority.
Posted By: firearms44 Re: Diamonds & Guns - 06/10/08
My second time around was a charm. I said " From Jan 1st till Aug 31st I'm yours". I'll do anything you want to do. " From Sept 1st till Dec 31st your a hunters widow". Keep the food hot and don't use smelly static cling sheets in the drier. My money is mine and her money is hers. She has a list of bills to pay and so do I. Just keep the venison stew hot baby, I'm coming home. grin

Ken
Posted By: varmintsinc Re: Diamonds & Guns - 06/10/08
My only guided elk hunt cost me about $8,000. $4000 for everything to cover the hunt and $4000 for the diamond tennis bracelet she bought while I was gone.

I agree is about mutual respect. If she goes out and spends $400 on a purse she does not freak out if I drop something similiar on something I want. The only bylaw is bills and savings come first and your allowed to do what you want with your discretionary income.
Posted By: SingleShotShorty Re: Diamonds & Guns - 06/12/08
Never had to bribe my wife she gets what she wants and I get what I want, I don't gripe about stuff she buys and she doesn't gripe about my gun and hunting stuff
Posted By: Lee24 Re: Diamonds & Guns - 06/12/08
The most fun is when she buys you that special gun and you buy her the diamonds.
Posted By: Kaleb Re: Diamonds & Guns - 06/12/08
Like Varmintinsc said long as bills are paid and we are still in good shape with savings I get my stuff and I get her stuff. I ask her to be nice and she ask me when she gets something extra. I don't have to run stuff by her, but then she wouldn't either. It works for us. But yea my 500 dollar Vanguard cost 1100.
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Diamonds & Guns - 06/12/08
If you both work, seperate bank accounts are the only way to fly.
You work for your chit and she works for her's. Bills 50/50.

I love the modern woman(with no children).
Posted By: armedferret Re: Diamonds & Guns - 06/13/08
wow, sucks to be some of you guys.

my wife doesn't give a rat's ass what i buy, as long as any outstanding bills get paid. and vice versa.
Posted By: Blueprinted Re: Diamonds & Guns - 06/13/08
I have my check book, our check book and our savings. As long as the bills are paid and projects are done, she does not care. Then again for her to nag and bitch at me means she has to talk to me. She does not mind me bringing home guns as much as she does girlfirends. Oh well you can not have it all.
Posted By: Coyote_Hunter Re: Diamonds & Guns - 06/13/08

In 'our' marriage its 'our' money - we're working as a team.

I've seen a lot of marriages where it was 'mine and hers' (or 'mine and his') and seems like a much higher percentage went sideways.

My paternal grandparents celebrated 77 years together a few months ago (the maternal side only made it to about 70 years before granddad died) and the concept of 'his and hers' was something none of them could understand.

I guess you can believe I'm 'defeated' if you so choose, but after 27 years with the same woman I have a very different opinion of the situation.
Posted By: varmintsinc Re: Diamonds & Guns - 06/13/08
Originally Posted by Kaleb
But yea my 500 dollar Vanguard cost 1100.

It always evens out, she said the day at a spa cost $200 but I found receipts that said otherwise. Of course my Kimber was only $500 on the credit card but that did not show the $500 cash already down smile
Posted By: Waders Re: Diamonds & Guns - 06/13/08
Individual expectations greatly determine to what degree money will be a basis for controversy within a marriage. Find out what the other person "expects" prior to getting hitched.
Posted By: leomort Re: Diamonds & Guns - 06/13/08
Sad state affairs.
Posted By: biglmbass Re: Diamonds & Guns - 06/13/08
Yep.
Posted By: Kaleb Re: Diamonds & Guns - 06/13/08
Well said Coyote Hunter.

I would rather have our stuff. Than my stuff all by myself. I have too many friends that either wish they had someone or wish they did not have the one they got. Mine does me a pretty good job so I'm going to try and keep her arround..grin
Posted By: Lee24 Re: Diamonds & Guns - 06/13/08
The best policy is one of enthusiastic mutual agreement. That means no one is having their arm twisted or having to be sold on what the other one wants. Even if your wife says, "Just buy whatever car you want and I'll be happy", don't accept that. Find some that you like. She won't enjoy driving as many cars as you will, but take the short list to the house, give her a ride and watch her reaction. Buy the one she likes best. For example, you would be happy with a Buick LaCrosse, but that used Buick Lucerne is only $1,000 more and it is nicer. If she really wants you to have the Lucerne, buy it. But if she brings up the slightest damper on spending the extra money, let yourself be influenced by her, and let her know you appreciate her common sense and frugality.

Do that on the big things, and when you have a bunch of cash laying around and want to spend $1,000 on a Zeiss scope, you won't have to mention the $1,000 that "you" saved on the car. She'll do it.

I buy, sell and trade guns. My money for it comes out of my own trading. Any recreation comes out of extra work I do, not out of my regular, expected income. If I am billing by the hour, it comes out of overtime. And it is only a fraction of that - she gets the bulk of it to save for the new things she wants to improve the house.
Posted By: Jeff_O Re: Diamonds & Guns - 06/13/08
My wife is my life and business and parenting partner, pure and simple. And, I have to say that on the grand scale of things I spend WAY more money on "hobby" stuff than she does... so I cannot complain one bit. These days I try to keep my gun money more or less even by selling things to buy things except mumble mumble I to tend to treat myself with every big commission I pull mumble mumble. :-)

We met in 1988, at a blues jam at one of the local college watering holes. Luckiest night of my life!

Marriage is work; it's not always easy. Duh. And even my feminist wife agrees 100% that there are some things that men are more likely to be suited for, and some things that women are more likely to be suited for, and that a fair division of labor accounts for an individual's strengths and weaknesses. She doesn't change oil or run the chain saws, I don't cook as much or clean bathrooms <G>. Works for us.

We've been in a state of marital flux in the last couple years as she's gotten back into the work force after 10+ years of being a stay at home mom (and a very good one), while I shifted careers a couple years ago (complete with all the stress that brings). So we've been evolving the family dynamic. I have been more involved in the day to day household stuff because my schedule is much more flexible that it used to be... and I'm not as exhausted from working two jobs. She's making money, and more importantly has delivered really great health insurance to our family, the kind money just about can't even buy if you are self-employed.

Anyway... we are far from perfect and I am far from perfect and she is far from perfect but in my opinion a marriage is a partnership and should be viewed as such.

-jeff
Posted By: Fishinado Re: Diamonds & Guns - 06/13/08
Well here is a topic that I can certainly relate to. Perhaps some of you have seen my ads in the Doublegun Journal, or Shooting Sportsman. Without trying to self promote. I would like to extend the courtesy of helping my fellow sportsman with any diamond or jewelry related need they may have. We are designers and manufacturers of high-end platinum and gold pieces that are sold through over thirty independent jewelry stores throughout the country. We also cut our own diamonds.

You can visit my website at www.platinumrings.com or call us at 888-995-PLAT

Regards,
Philip

[Linked Image]
I saw your ad in DGJ. Are these rings to let you keep the gun, or do you trade in the gun on the ring to get out of the doghouse?

My first anniversary, I gave my wife a Browning 2000 shotgun.
I really did want her to take up my hobby. No way, she said. I bought the shotgun for $325.00, sold it that afternoon for $300, and bought a sold gold Cartier wristwatch, which she still has. I learned my lesson.
Posted By: RDFinn Re: Diamonds & Guns - 06/13/08
Lee, when are you going to post the Model 70 pics you promised???
Posted By: Fishinado Re: Diamonds & Guns - 06/13/08
Originally Posted by Lee24
I saw your ad in DGJ. Are these rings to let you keep the gun, or do you trade in the gun on the ring to get out of the doghouse?

My first anniversary, I gave my wife a Browning 2000 shotgun.
I really did want her to take up my hobby. No way, she said. I bought the shotgun for $325.00, sold it that afternoon for $300, and bought a sold gold Cartier wristwatch, which she still has. I learned my lesson.

These rings are so you can buy MORE guns. Let's just say I've traded a few guns for jewelry over the years. The Browning might have went over a little better if the watch was in the same box!
Posted By: RDFinn Re: Diamonds & Guns - 06/13/08
Certainly taught her to hold out for bigger things.....

Roy
I have to get permission to post the pictures of the Model 70s which are in a rack on the production floor. The plant produces 95% military weapons for the US Army and USMC.
Posted By: leomort Re: Diamonds & Guns - 06/13/08
Lee24,

I too tried, unsuccessfully I must add, to get my wife involved in my hooby as well. Coming up on 11year anniversary and still haven't made any progress.......yet. Might take me another 10 or 15 years to wear her down *grin*

Leo

Posted By: Mntngoat Re: Diamonds & Guns - 06/14/08
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter

In 'our' marriage its 'our' money - we're working as a team.

I've seen a lot of marriages where it was 'mine and hers' (or 'mine and his') and seems like a much higher percentage went sideways.

I agree!
None of this his and hers crap.
It's ours.
In a court oif law it be decided as such anyway.
Been down that road & have no intention of doing it again!

ML
Posted By: Jeff_O Re: Diamonds & Guns - 06/14/08
Lee24,

I too tried, unsuccessfully I must add, to get my wife involved in my hooby as well. Coming up on 11year anniversary and still haven't made any progress.......yet. Might take me another 10 or 15 years to wear her down *grin*
Leo

Some women like the hooby more than others... blush
Posted By: RDFinn Re: Diamonds & Guns - 06/14/08
Originally Posted by Lee24
I have to get permission to post the pictures of the Model 70s which are in a rack on the production floor. The plant produces 95% military weapons for the US Army and USMC.

I am aware of this Lee which makes me wonder how you were able to snap photos in the first place.

Roy
Posted By: Lee24 Re: Diamonds & Guns - 06/14/08
I am a manufacturing consultant and product designer. I get paid to improve and develop new products and processes. Automobiles, medical devices, aerospace, construction and firearms are my areas of expertise. I'll upload some pix from my laptop and post tomorrow.
Posted By: RDFinn Re: Diamonds & Guns - 06/14/08
Thank you, looking forward to actually seeing them being made.

Roy
© 24hourcampfire