Home
What custom project did you always want to do?

I have two:

1 - Remington model 8 in .25 Remington. Color case the receiver, fire blue all the receiver screws, carbona blue everything else. Add in exhibition grade wood with simple but elegant checkering. Install a Deeley & Edge forend release on the forend to make takedown easier. Add a trap door, steel butt plate that's case hardened.

2 - Make a reproduction of W.D.M. Bell's 275 Rigby and keep it an open sight rifle rathern than ruining the classic lines with a scope.
I'd like to have 20k to send to Duane Weibe with instructions to "go nuts."
Ever since back in the days when I was around Hagels #1 in 7 Mashburn Super I've wanted to do one in that cal. That and or a #10 in the same cal.

Once upon a time I had Don Allen send me 3 sticks of wood to look at for the project and none of them cut the biscuit for me so I didn't do the project.

Some day maybe I will but I have to find the right wood first.

Then it's a call to Lija for a tube and off to the races.

Dober
I've always wanted to do a Remington 700 SS in 6.5/378 Weatherby mag with a 32" long barrel.
Originally Posted by Tom264
I've always wanted to do a Remington 700 SS in 6.5/378 Weatherby mag with a 32" long barrel.

Sounds a lot like my 7mm Dober that I've always wanted to do...<g>

Dober
I've always wanted something similar to GAP's "Rock" rifle, although I wanted to go 243 or 260. Just a funnin' rifle that would be easy to shoot and could also pull duty from a blind during deer season.

I have a #7 fluted 7mm-08 barrel on hand, so I may do something similar next year.
ruger #1 in 6.5-06 or an even bigger 6.5x300mag. I dont think I could afford to feed a Toms 6.5x378, something about getting 60rounds from a pound of powder is just wrong.

Almost forgot about the new Ruger case and could go that direction as well.
A David Miller Classic custom rifle, or I'd even 'settle' for a Marksman, in .270 Weatherby Magnum.
A model 70 action with a Lilja barrel and a McMillan stock in a 9.3X62 and one in a 264Win mag.
grin
Pre-war M70 action, #2-ish 24" barrel, straight classic stock in good walnut,
decellerator pad @ 13.75", 2.5-8 Leupold, Canjar single set trigger, all to
finish at around 8 pounds.

Once you get used to the pre-war safety it works GREAT.

Bob
Namibia is calling, so a matched pair of CLR/NULA hybrids in 7x57 and 9.3x62 might work.

Jeff
I've kind of started the ball rolling on a 400/350NE in an M98 action. If the 'smith says it can be done, then I'll end up cash poor, assets rich. If its too hard ... the VZ24 (or a Ruger MkII)will become a 10.75x68, a cartridge I've always admired.
Cheers...
Con
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Namibia is calling, so a matched pair of CLR/NULA hybrids in 7x57 and 9.3x62 might work.

Jeff
Not a bad way to show up in Africa.
I'd start with a Dumoulin, Prechtl, or Recknagel Mauser 98 action and chamber any number of weird-o metric cartridges - i.e. 9.3x70, 9.5x66 Vom Hofe, 11.2x72 Schuler etc.

I'd also love a few Martini-Hagn actions to play around with.
280 AI
325 WSM
300 Jarrett ALL OF THESE ARE DONE
6mm-270
25-06AI
264 WIN MAG
300 WSM

7MM STW THESE 2 IN PROCESS ALREADY HAVE THE PARTS JUST
WAITING ON THE GUNSMITH
6.5 STW
A PAIR of rifles- Both 6 MM Ackley Improved
One on a Stolle action, 26 inch Krieger barrel, Jewell trigger, McMillan stock, all the Model 700 goodies for accuracy, and Leupold MK III scope,

Another, same cartridge, on a Remington M7 action, 21 inch barrel, Jewell trigger, nice light stock, Leupold 4X14 scope

and then gas money to take them praire do shooting till the barrels wore out.

With those two rifles and a good 223, a 243, a 7/08, my 270s, my 30/06, my 338, a 375, a good 416, a Winchester 1886 in 45/90, my 32 Special, a 45/70, an original 32/20, an old Stevens Favorite in 25 rimfire, an Anshutz silhouette rifle, and my handguns of course, I would be happy to hunt anything here in Montana.

A Ruger #1V in a 22LR format.
250 Savage on a G33/40 action, Mannlicher stocked (w/ "classic American" lines), and 21" barrel fitted with NECG sights. 2-7x33 Matte Leupold in, probably, Talley QD mounts.
Funny, a G33/40 in 257 Roberts with a knockout piece of Black Walnut.

Elegant but simple.

The other would be a Mannlicher stocked Savage 99 in 250/3000
Scott, I could easily do the 257 Rbt's over the 250 Savage... both are favorites of mine. In fact, those are prolly my two favorite rounds. I've had three Roberts over the years and had an M77 RSI in 250 Savage that I really liked (except for its too short tube).

Once upon a time I was a 99 nut too... have owned a few and eventually "got over it", but a 99F in 250 Savage would cure that pronto!
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Funny, a G33/40 in 257 Roberts with a knockout piece of Black Walnut.

Elegant but simple.

The other would be a Mannlicher stocked Savage 99 in 250/3000

Steely, when you find your action and get it all tubed up give me a shout. I have a stick of wood that'll knock your socks off all inletted for a G33. It's French and not Black but it'll still light you up!

Mines always ran in some super African Walnut and most likely always will so this stick can go.

Dober
Ruger #3 sidelever in 22lr

Engraved casecolored metal, Fine wood patterned closer to the #1, buttplate, scrimshaw ivory gripcap, nitre blued action pin, folding leaf sights and day/night Rigby front sight, tip off scope mounts.
I must lack imagination because my wish is for a simple 7600 Remington with 20" bbl chambered in .358 Win.

Dave
I'd bring back Monty Kennedy for "just one more". BRNO M21 or a very good G33/40 action in 270 22.75" tube, blind magazine. Tessier (SP) stick. Lightly engraved. All up maybe 7.25 pounds. A twin to the one in the safe except with his wild roll over comb rather than a straight comb sporter. Boy do I miss him, thinking of him causes tears to well up, shoot.
a pre-64 win, in 270 win, built just like the one jack o'connor used.
Originally Posted by Brad
250 Savage on a G33/40 action, Mannlicher stocked (w/ "classic American" lines), and 21" barrel fitted with NECG sights. 2-7x33 Matte Leupold in, probably, Talley QD mounts.

Just what I'd get but chambered for the 7x57 and a Leupold 4x33 with a #1 reticule. Metal would be matte finished and the stock an oil rubbed satin finish.
Originally Posted by hotsoup

Who?
Custom rifle you've always wanted to do?

Does Jessica Simpson count as a custom rifle?
I just completed mine. 17 Javalina on a L461 Sako 23inc fluted Lilja, Dropped the whole mess in a Basner stock. 7lbs 7oz redy to drop fur

Barrel ordered for a Tac20 on a 722 in a Banser. Light Mag fluted from Pac-nor.

Spring will be a Sleeved 700 in a swirley A5 Hart barrel in fluted Sendero countour chamber 6mmX47Laupa.

1st thing my 338-06 Ackley is getting a little Jenny Craig, an inch lopped off the barrel and a helical flute, Karl to pimp the bolt dropping it in an black edge coated in Titaium grey.

That is what is budgeted. More money will bring more, more hunts will bring less. That is the short list.
A Model 7 with a CDL stock and a Pac-Nor 22 inch tube in 35 Remington.

I guess I lack imagination.

WB.
Originally Posted by greenmtndave
I must lack imagination because my wish is for a simple 7600 Remington with 20" bbl chambered in .358 Win.

Dave

I like the way you think. I've always wanted to do a 760 all in matte with a 19" barrel in 338/06 with a XS sight and a fiber optic front.

Dober
For pure hunting a 25 SAUM in a stainless Sako action and Mcmillan stock. Gap Camo, cerakoted matte black and NP3 internals. Flutted 25 inch stainless barrel around .60-.63 at the muzzle. (notice the 25 theme) I originally wanted to use a Remington Ti action but Sako's hold four in the belly and Remingtons might hold two. But the Remington would be significantly lighter so it still might get the nod.

The other for looks would be a 257 Roberts or 308 Mannlicher style rifle on a worked over G33/40. NECG sights and a quick release 4x scope. Case colored action, rings, base, foreend, and floorplate. Fleur de lis scroll work on the wood and a thin red rubber recoil pad.
I've always' wanted a nice custom .257Roberts built on a Dakota Model#10 single shot action. Something light, slim and with a really nice piece of light colored english walnut with dark mineral streaking. A nice set of iron sights, barrel swivel (not banded) and a skeleton butplate with a gripcap to match.

Not a Dakota factory gun, a nice custom built by a gunsmith that cared as much about how it shot and looked as he did about making a profit on the job.

Terry
Originally Posted by hotsoup

You, my friend took the words directly from my mouth. I would, however top it with a modern day scope and probabll stick it in an awesome piece of wood.
I'm trying to locate a smith currently who will get semi excited and do a job for me. So far most have told me they really aren't that interested.

I want a sako action turned into a mannlicher stocked rifle. I want a pretty good walnut stock - straight stock no monte carlo. A very dark oil finish with no gloss at all.

No sights front or rear, and a blind box - no mag or floorplate. A full matte blue finish on the barrel and receiver.

.308 in caliber.

Then I'm going to stick a 1.5-6x Swarovski on it and call it a day.

I'm a mannlicher nut but I really hate iron sights on scope rifles. I want something I can carry around, sit in a stand, and still look good.

After that gets done I'm going to look at getting a No. 1 Ruger in .280AI done with a maple stock and clean it up a bit.
What Brad and Steelhead already said would work just fine.

That or an all-out Hagn falling block with octagonal barrel in the Bob, 7X57 or 300H&H. Come to think of it, a matching set with all 3 would do. ;-)
Hands down, it would be one of D'arcy's M98's. Probably in a 30-06. I could settle on a late model "pre-64" action with the metal work by Conrad Gerega, and the stock by Lee Helgeland though.

In reality, I'll rebarrel my early model Ruger 77 swinger in a 338-06 and have Lee stock it, and probably have Jim at Half Moon blue it since 'Ol Smokin Joe Stinaeur is no longer among the living. Even then, I'll be 4500 into a Ruger that will be too pretty to hunt with.

Now you see why I own Kimbers, and semi custom jobs that I don't cry about beating the crap out of smile

Oh yeah. Speaking of no loger among the living. Tommy Burgess passed on last week, his funeral was last Monday. I never had him do any work for me, but he has influenced so many of the "gun people" that I know in this part of the land that I still feel diminished somehow. I'd seen much of his work here in the Valley and he was a true craftsman with an amazing eye for the "details" He will be missed. May he rest in peace...
I've got a few...

A 7600 in .338 Federal with laminate stocks and a 20" stainless barrel. smile

A stainless Rem 700 in .338/06 or .338 Federal, 22" with an EDGE.

A Stainless Win 70 or Rem 700 in .308 Norma, 22", McSwirly.

Lastly, a stainless .350RM on an undecided action.

All these are doable for me, but only 1 at a time. grin
A G33/40 in 270 with kreiger barrel,all metal by Tom Burgess(as noted above unfortunately no longer with us).Stockmaker would be Earl Milliron in French.

An Echols 7 mag or 300 winchester in his Edge stock.

A "John Jobson"type lightweight 375H&H with 23" barrel, on a pre 64 M70 action,French walnut built by Al Biesen.

Another Len Brownell rifle;anything would do.

Anything by Duane Wiebe,maybe a light 270 or 280,or a big 458 of some type.

A Griffen&Howe 30/06 on a pre 64 M70 action.

A 404 Jeffrey or 416 By VanHorn

A J O'C 270 built by guess who?

Any M70 metal work by Mark Penrod,preferably in 257 Roberts, with stock by Jerry Fisher.

A pimped out 220 swift on a M70 from the Winchester custom shop(New Haven-pre64)

I want back: the 300 win mag on a Burgess 1909 action stocked by Maurice Ottmar;the Len Brownell 270 M70 built for Bob Chatfield-Taylor that went to Africa and on sheep hunts with Jack an Eleanor O'Connor.I amjust not too bright frown

Originally Posted by NathanL
I'm trying to locate a smith currently who will get semi excited and do a job for me. So far most have told me they really aren't that interested.

I want a sako action turned into a mannlicher stocked rifle. I want a pretty good walnut stock - straight stock no monte carlo. A very dark oil finish with no gloss at all.

No sights front or rear, and a blind box - no mag or floorplate. A full matte blue finish on the barrel and receiver.

.308 in caliber.

Then I'm going to stick a 1.5-6x Swarovski on it and call it a day.

I'm a mannlicher nut but I really hate iron sights on scope rifles. I want something I can carry around, sit in a stand, and still look good.

After that gets done I'm going to look at getting a No. 1 Ruger in .280AI done with a maple stock and clean it up a bit.

Nathan give D&D gunsmiths in Troy, Mi. They should be able t to what you ant, and they do great work.
Originally Posted by avagadro

Over-bore. blush grin
Originally Posted by RickyD
Originally Posted by avagadro

Over-bore. blush grin

Yes, but great lines and very functional,even if a bit expensive... wink
I have a Siamese mauser action that I saved from a junk bin long ago. I have been hoping for years to get around to turning it into a .348 Winchester. Add a good, 4x scope and a nice stock, and have a great thumper for just about anything. I know my .35 Whelen has more power, and it is easier to get bullets and brass for. But I just love the way the .348 looks. Besides, how many people out there have .348's in anything other than a model 71?

-Mb
You know, I really don't care much for real modern firearms, but I wouldn't mind building a "Big Stick" rifle.

Purple Mc Swirley with a Stainless Remington Model 7 action and a #1 Shilen 20" barrel in .25 Souper...Topped with, a 6x Leup with target turrets.

That's about the only modern rifle I'd be interested in. I could settle for a .260 but the .25 Souper would be much more fun.
Just curious, but what makes a 25 Souper more fun than a 260? 0.007" in bullet diameter?

Jeff
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Just curious, but what makes a 25 Souper more fun than a 260? 0.007" in bullet diameter?

Jeff

If you have to ask . . . . . . .
My dream is a Drilling. 12 guage x 12 guage x 308 with a 22 inch barrel and good staight grained wood. No fancy stuff, just a good working tool.

BMT
.284 Winchester
Rem 700 Ti SA
McMillan Edge
3-position safety
Jewell trigger
22" fluted custom barrel

and/or

.308 Winchester
Dakota 76 action
Top grade English walnut stock
22" Rock 5R barrel
Originally Posted by OldCenterChurch
.284 Winchester
Rem 700 Ti SA
McMillan Edge
3-position safety
Jewell trigger
22" fluted custom barrel

I like the 284 pattern.

BMT
1903 Springfield in the Owens style with Lyman 48 sight and dark English walnut. Just like Teddy Roosevelt's or Jack O'Connor's first one. .30-06 of course, but the second one would be a .400 Whelan.
Originally Posted by KyWindageII
1903 Springfield in the Owens style with Lyman 48 sight and dark English walnut. Just like Teddy Roosevelt's or Jack O'Connor's first one. .30-06 of course, but the second one would be a .400 Whelan.

Oooooohhh

Make mine a 35 Whelen.

BMT
well i always wanted to and intend to when i find the rifle and smith is making a 270 sav 99
I'm doing it ATM.

338 Win Mag in a Pre-64.
24" Lothar Walther barrel. I dare say Williams bottom-metal(if original cannot be restored the way I want it), & the stock just scrapped back & redone in a slightly darker-matte stain.
Blueing will be matte, with maybe some sort of weather tough properties?
It will be feed a diet of 210gn TSX's, with a warm load(2900fps).

Leupold QR rings(low) & bases. Vx11 2-7x33(WD).

I've always wanted a Martini action custom. A 25WSSM would be nice if they take an unrimmed case. I'll probably never have it.

I am very seriously considering a new Laminated Rem 673 Guide Gun in 6.5 or .350 Rem Mag before they are all gone. I will remove the rib/sights.
I've always wanted to do an .45-70 1886 Extra Light rifle in Exhibition English, Red rubber shotgun pad, Talley inletted buttstock swivel, integral front swivel, Lyman peep, Rust blued w/case hardened lever and hammer. Perhaps a french grey nosecap.

I'm also hankering for a rook rifle in .32 S&W long,26 inch barrel, perhaps with a Leupold Alaskan 4x. Not sure what to build it on; perhaps an old Savage 219 w/reworked metalwork.

Lastly, I'd like a .257 AI Rob on a 1st gen. 700Ti., 6x42 Leupold.

Only time and money.

Do you mean what's next on the list? Don't we all have something in the planning stages, always?

My next builds are going to be a heavy barreled 220 Swift and a mountan rifle in 25-284.
If I could afford to, I'd go with three NULAs.

1) .260 Rem

2) .308 or 30-06 or maybe a .30-.284 (gotta have at least one oddball if we're talking full customs)

3) .350 Rem Mag or .35 Sambar

Originally Posted by Oregon45
I'd like to have 20k to send to Duane Weibe with instructions to "go nuts."

Ditto, and have him build me a rifle chambered in 257 Roberts similar to the one he built for himself in 9.3x62 that is pictured in the Gunsmithing Forum over on AR. No instructions other than 257 Roberts.
Originally Posted by TC1
I've always' wanted a nice custom .257Roberts built on a Dakota Model#10 single shot action. Something light, slim and with a really nice piece of light colored english walnut with dark mineral streaking. A nice set of iron sights, barrel swivel (not banded) and a skeleton butplate with a gripcap to match.

Not a Dakota factory gun, a nice custom built by a gunsmith that cared as much about how it shot and looked as he did about making a profit on the job.

Terry

I came across this thread while using the search function and enjoyed it so much I've brought it back from the dust bin.

Terry, love your #10 project, a #10 by James Anderson is likely my next custom.

I'm contemplating either a magnum 7mm (Mashburn?) or perhaps a non magnum in 6.5 something or other....
It would be a light and lean 20" barreled Mannlicher 8x57 built on a M96 Swede with a nice stick of Cal English. Low double square bridges with QR one piece rings (similar to my 280 below) and a rear peep and front cover that store in a Biesen trapdoor buttplate. Came darn close to pulling the trigger on such a build with Roger Green a bit ago. Some day it will get built.

[Linked Image]
You know, I really don't care much for real modern firearms, but I wouldn't mind building a "Big Stick" rifle.

Purple Mc Swirley with a Stainless Remington Model 7 action and a #1 Shilen 20" barrel in .25 Souper...Topped with, a 6x Leup with target turrets.

He's had them, but mostly those two don't go together.
A matching trio of faux Ti's. I'm 2/3 of the way there.

1) .22-250 Ackley

2) .260 Remington

3) .338 Federal or .358 Winchester (haven't decided yet)

Utilitarian at its best.
I've pretty much reached the peak when it comes to custom rifles, so I think I'm done. My last one hit the nail on the head.

Rem 700 LA Ti action
21" Lilja Barrel duping MR, Chambered in 25-06AI
McM Edge Stock
Rifle Basix Trigger
Callahan FP/Shroud
Dead Nutz Mounts
Leupold 6x42 w/M1

The rifle likes 100gr Swift S2's at 3300. Not bad for a shorty barrel and sticky bullets.

I lent it to a buddy this fall, and it knocked down 2 dall sheep, 5 nice Sitka Blacktails, and a Caribou. I just got it back, so it'll be my rut gun.
Originally Posted by Tony
It would be a light and lean 20" barreled Mannlicher 8x57 built on a M96 Swede with a nice stick of Cal English. Low double square bridges with QR one piece rings (similar to my 280 below) and a rear peep and front cover that store in a Biesen trapdoor buttplate. Came darn close to pulling the trigger on such a build with Roger Green a bit ago. Some day it will get built.

[Linked Image]

Tony, details on your .280 man!! grin
Well MGA did my 338WM.

So my next would be a 450Marlin Lever blued, with a 28 inch Octagon barrel nice wood and a ladder reciever "peep" sight.

built for long range work
I have an 03-A3 Springfield action my father gave me and I need to replace a 280 Remington I sold so it will be a 280 Remington with a 24" Shilen 1-9 or Lilja barrel, Boyds nutmeg laminate stock (pillar & glass bedded), with a 6x42mm Leupold scope on it.

I have a Ruger #1B in 6mm Remington that I love, but I've always wanted one in either a model 70 Winchester controlled round feed action or Ruger Hawkeye action. 24" 1-9 barrel and probably a fixed 6x42mm Leupold. Love those Leupolds! Love those two Mauser style actions and the fact that the magazine box is longer so a guy can seat those 100 gr. bullets out there where they should be.
1909 in .350 Rigby Rimless Magnum!

For me, I would like to turn back the clock, in part...
a Rem 700 chambered in 358x57.
On this original post I said a Martini in .25 WSSM. Today I am reminded of a Martini with a .357 Mag necked down to .17. I read about one of these over 30yrs ago, and it just popped into my head today.
There are two that have me thinking lately, not that I can afford either right now.

1. Model 70 Sporter, bedded and rechambered to .270 Gibbs.

2. Shaw Mk VII, in 257 Bob, walnut stock, helical fluted 24 inch barrel.

I guess this would qualify as a "custom"

Dakota Traveler - one barrel in .338 Laupa, one in .416 Rigby. Stocked to fit me, of course.

Or maybe the same thing in 7mm Dakota, and .330 Dakota.

grin
Greg, how did your -250AI turn out?
A Borden built 7 WSM.
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
Originally Posted by greenmtndave

Dave

I like the way you think. I've always wanted to do a 760 all in matte with a 19" barrel in 338/06 with a XS sight and a fiber optic front.

Dober

One of these or Stealy's 99 are kind of what I was thinking.
NULA in 358STA........

416WSSM in a 7# AR15...

Model 7 CDL 358WIN

Kimber Montana in 350 mag.

Dakota 76 in 375H&H.... With "Perfect" wood...
22K hornet..
A M70 action in 257 Bob bedded in a McMillan with a Leupold VX-3 3.5-10x40mm on top and a fluted barrel.

I would shoot 110 grain Accubonds, that would be a great combo for blacktails.
Ruger tang safety with a Shillen barrel 24" #4 contour in 257 Roberts paired with one in 280 Remington, these will match my 338-06.

I'm easy to please..........
A pair of extremes.

Full blown Mauser in either .257 Roberts or 7x57 with all the bells and whistles, classic lines.

The most god-awful McSwirly color combination you can think of, I guess a 700 SA, chambered in .243 maybe, stainless barrel, then all the metal coated in some crazy color scheme that is obnoxious when put with the stock.
An FN-FAL in .243 Winchester, 26 inch barrel, free float handguard, in, of course, basic black.
I would like to copy a Remington KS 350 mag or 35 Rem in stainless. Wouldn't mind having a 7600 in 358 Win with 20" barrel.

Ken
Originally Posted by nyrifleman
Originally Posted by Tony

[Linked Image]

Tony, details on your .280 man!! grin

It's built on one of 50 small ring actions Pete Grisel made before he started his work with Don Allen to lead to what became Dakota Arms. The wood is California English. The rifle was built by Roger Green as a lightweight mountain rifle for the original owner. I am the second owner. Mr. Green's work is absolutely flawless.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I'd like to have a nice SxS rifle in 303British.

Originally Posted by SuperCub

A customer just had one transfer through my shop about a month ago....it was nice!
Anything built buy Karl Kampfeld, high grade Cooper 52 in walnut /blue in 25-06. Biesen built model 70 in anything.
my baddest custom craving is for a .25 copperhead... bought my h&r L461 .222 intending to rebarrel/rebore...

shot the donor, and am looking for another!!!
being older, i did have my custom made. it's almost done.
living out here in nm., hunting here and other places a 9 kb. rifle or there abouts isn't all that heavy.

mine is a benchmark built 280ai, with a fluted number 4 lilja contoured 26 inch barrel. benchmark blueprinted the action, made, chambered and test fired the barrel and sent a casing drilled and tapped for a stoney point oal gauge.
carl kampfeld did the bolt.

first stock i had made is still MIA in ak., with art peck aka sitka deer, but jim62 made me another out of english walnut and carol at ahlman's in mn., is doing the checkering.
jim did a custom foreend tip and inletted talley sling swivel studs.

it'll wear a leupold 3.5-10x40 with a b&c reticle, sitting in conetrol bases and gentry rings.

heres a few in the works pics.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Aside from the aforementioned Dakota 10;

I have one pre-64 action left that will become a 7mm Rem Mag, stocked in English. I have one of the members of the ACGG in mind.

I'm also contemplating a pair of Kimber Montanas by Mark Penrod. The first will be on the 84L in .280 AI, the second on the longer 8400 action in 7mm Mashburn.
God I'm boring.

I guess I'd just like to go down to the savage mfg plant and do a walk through build of a high luster blued 24" barreled 114 action in 338 WM and have it fit in a satin oil finished euro classic walnut stick of my choosing.

I'd toss a gloss black VXII 3-9 40 in a set of burris sig zee's, hang a dark brown 1" montana sling on it and go hunting.

Not exactly "custom" but they don't sell the 114 in anything "bigger" than the 300 WM so...

flame on.

:popcorn:
I counted my custom rifles and right now they are about 1/3 of my modest collection. A little over half of them I had built, but the others were used--a more affordable way to get custom rifles! Some were rifles I've wanted for a while, like my "unmatched pair" of Kilimanjaro (formerly Serengeti) rifles in 7x57 and 9.3x62, but some I didn't even know I wanted until they appeared, like the .30-40 Krag double rifle built on a Ruger Red Label frame.

Dunno why I'm still thinking about other custom rifles, but I am. A .350 Rigby would be nice....
Originally Posted by splattermatic
being older, i did have my custom made. it's almost done.
living out here in nm., hunting here and other places a 9 kb. rifle or there abouts isn't all that heavy.

mine is a benchmark built 280ai, with a fluted number 4 lilja contoured 26 inch barrel. benchmark blueprinted the action, made, chambered and test fired the barrel and sent a casing drilled and tapped for a stoney point oal gauge.
carl kampfeld did the bolt.

first stock i had made is still MIA in ak., with art peck aka sitka deer, but jim62 made me another out of english walnut and carol at ahlman's in mn., is doing the checkering.
jim did a custom foreend tip and inletted talley sling swivel studs.

it'll wear a leupold 3.5-10x40 with a b&c reticle, sitting in conetrol bases and gentry rings.

heres a few in the works pics.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Holy [bleep] thats nice
I would like to build a custom Springfield sporter in 30-06 of course. A beautiful piece of English walnut and a Lyman or Redfield aperature sight.
I always have a list of rifles I want to build for myself and occasionally, I even get them built. More commonly though, they end up being "fantasy rifles" whuich are built and used only in my dreams. The advantage to a fantasy build is that it always looks better, shoots better, and carries better than the real thing. In addition, the hunts are always successful or the matches always won.
Sometimes, I even go so far as to actually build the rifle or at least start it. Here is my present list of rifles being built or which I plan to build.
1. A model 54 Winchester. This one will be a 30/06 and stocked in a fairly nice piece of black Walnut. Mauser bolt stop. Original trigger.
2. A Ruger No.1 in 30/40 Krag. I think I'll do a half-octagon barrel, 24" long. I'll use Talley rings for the Leupold 3x scope.
3. A Model 30 Remington in 280. I plan to stock this in myrtle though it's a bit on the heavy side. I'll alter the receiver to use a modified Mauser bolt stop/ ejector.
4. A Martini-Henry in 45/70
5. A 7x57 "F" class rifle. Hall action, Six stock, Benchmark barrel.
6. A 25/06 built on a MRC action. A heavy #4 contour 26" long. Scoped with a Leupold 8X Pioneer scope in Buehler mounts. Walnut stock configured to work well prone.
This is a partial list and is subject to change. I should be making significant progress by the time I'm 70. GD
Originally Posted by sactoller
Originally Posted by SuperCub

A customer just had one transfer through my shop about a month ago....it was nice!

Any pics for the curious? grin

No pictures, but the next time he is in, I will have him bring it and I will take pictures. It is a Francaise, w/hammers!
Originally Posted by JPro
I've always wanted something similar to GAP's "Rock" rifle, although I wanted to go 243 or 260. Just a funnin' rifle that would be easy to shoot and could also pull duty from a blind during deer season.

I have a #7 fluted 7mm-08 barrel on hand, so I may do something similar next year.

Did mine !!!
Surgeon
Obermeyer - rem varm contour 8.4 tw
20" w/ QD for my YHM Phantom Titanium suppressor
McM A3
Badger alloy stuff
10.5# all up...w/ great balance
Getting #'s out to 1200 yds this weekend hopefully !!

The Doctor is in !!
[Linked Image]
A sporterized Mauser in 7x57 is a rifle I have always wanted to build.
Originally Posted by KevinGibson

I have two:

1 - Remington model 8 in .25 Remington. Color case the receiver, fire blue all the receiver screws, carbona blue everything else. Add in exhibition grade wood with simple but elegant checkering. Install a Deeley & Edge forend release on the forend to make takedown easier. Add a trap door, steel butt plate that's case hardened.

2 - Make a reproduction of W.D.M. Bell's 275 Rigby and keep it an open sight rifle rathern than ruining the classic lines with a scope.

Kimber Montana, .358 WSM

Oooh, MAMA! smile
Originally Posted by antlers
A David Miller Classic custom rifle, or I'd even 'settle' for a Marksman, in .270 Weatherby Magnum.

+1

Always wanted a real nice sporter made off a 1917 enfield.
I've got a couple of builds in mind. However my wants are pretty boring compared to most here.

338-06 on a pre 64 Model 70 action, not sure on barel choice yet but bedded in a McWoody and running a 3-9x40 Conquest in Talley mounts

Stainless MKII Ruger in 30-06 bedded and free floated in a boat paddle stock. Trigger work done and new barrel (again not sure on make, I'll take the smith's advice I'm sure)

Winchester Model 71 348Win Long Tang Deluxe Restored by Turnbull.

My Marlin 1895G. I'm about half way done with it. Forearm thinned, Cowboy buttstock replaced the factory one, just need to add a grind to fit recoil pad and refinish the buttstock. All that's left smith work wise is to have the mag tube extended.
I've already built my dream custom but have several other ideas.
Light 270,280,7x57 or 30/06 on a G33/40 action, light contour krieger or equal barrel and complete metal work, top to bottom, by a great smith.

No engraving, nothing fancy, just a solid but beautiful working rifle with fabulous walnut (French/ circassian) hard as bone yet reasonably lightweight,slender,in the American Classic design.Point pattern, no fleurs.
Match it up with an equivilent lightweight 375H&H on a pre 64 M70 action,light contoured barrel and a good stick of walnut with perfect checkering.
Simply an exact copy of an Oberndorf Type "A" in 7 x 57.

BN
The "custom" I want now? Not really a custom. But I am thinking hard about taking the darkest and streakiest piece of English I can get my hands on price no object, and having Cooper make a Custom Classic 57M 22LR with it with Neidner buttplate and inletted swivels.

I have the custom stocked pre-64 fwt 270, and can't think of a better mate to it.
A high end single shot, maybe a #10 or a Hagn, in .270 Win or 6mm. Well, just make it one of each.

John
An original Winchester Hi-Wall in 25 Krag
Its in the works rite now. A short(ish) light-weight Model 70 in a great old caliber, .257 Roberts.
In process is a New Haven short action 70 Classic Compact getting a Pacnor .257, 1:9 twist, 21"long. Have a set of Talley Lite-weights and a Leupold 2.5-8 waiting for it.
After season is over Mcmillan stock for sure and maybe a Cerakote job..
Can't say I've "always" wanted to do these, a that would be stretching the time period. Nevertheless, my wants have been pretty consistent over the last few years.

1. A toy for long range play. In this case I started with a NIB Interarms Mark X action with a Timney trigger, bought a Boyd JRS stock and sent the two to Krieger, who built the barrel, trued the action and build the barrel. I agonized over the cartridge for a while as this was my first custom but ended up with a 6.5-06AI. Could have lived with a standard non-AI but planned to use .25-06 brass and wanted to prevent the possibility that I or someone else might stick 6.5-06 ammo in a .25-06 rifle. I told my brother this was my �600 yard clay pigeon shooter� and was very pleasantly surprised to find out the it indeed is. Very happy with the results and it is Daughter #3�s favorite shooter.
[Linked Image]

2. .338-375 Ruger, aka .375 Campfire. This is something I wanted ever since Ruger came out with the .375 Ruger cartridge and I spent a couple years hoping Ruger would announce a .338 Ruger based on the .375 cartridge. Started the project with a Ruger stainless action, contacted Pacific regarding a reamer and Hornady regarding forming and reloading dies. Then, thanks to bsa1917hunter, I located a stainless Ruger .338 Win Mag take-off barrel in Alaska that the original owner had fluted. The price was right and I couldn�t be happier with the result. When I eagerly opened the box on its arrival I was somewhat disappointed that the barrel was 22� rather than 24� but I was ecstatic about the bonus of iron sights, which were a complete surprise as well. The more I thought about the length the happier I was with the 22� as my goal was to have a fairly lightweight .338 boomer and I had decided to leave it as a .338 Win Mag. To that end I had a NIB Ruger boat paddle stock I had purchased Numrich. I decided if I �needed� more I would just buy a .338 RUM or such. All the parts went to Ted Lockburner down Monument way and three months or so later I got it back. He had blasted all the stainless to a nice matte finish. After a few sessions at the range I decided to add a Simms Limbsaver pad. It shoots great and I couldn�t be happier with the results:
[Linked Image]

A .338-06 has long been on my wish list but I think I�d go with a factory .338 RCM now instead.

A .375 Ruger is also on my wish list. I�ll probably never hunt Africa or even Alaska so it isn�t a matter of need. I don�t care for the Hogue stocks but Ruger now offers an Alaskan with laminated stock, a 23� barrel and iron sights, which sounds great to me. Problem is, the older I get the more like lighter rifles and the more I worry about things like detached retinas. A .375 Ruger keeps slipping further down the list.
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Light 270,280,7x57 or 30/06 on a G33/40 action, light contour krieger or equal barrel and complete metal work, top to bottom, by a great smith.

No engraving, nothing fancy, just a solid but beautiful working rifle with fabulous walnut (French/ circassian) hard as bone yet reasonably lightweight,slender,in the American Classic design.Point pattern, no fleurs.
Match it up with an equivilent lightweight 375H&H on a pre 64 M70 action,light contoured barrel and a good stick of walnut with perfect checkering.

Bob,

I've seen you mention building something on a G33/40 action many times. I do hope such an action comes into your life, because you would really appreciate it.
Bob's idea on the g33/40 is pretty cool but I don't think I'd go that route because its damn near impossible to find one and they are spendy!!!! The build i'd like to do would be pretty simple: I've got a newhaven built classic sporter I'd use as the foundation, I've always wanted a 308 norma mag for some damned reason so it would get a 24" medium weight fluted stainless barrel of good manufacture and then I'd throw the thing in a mcmillan hunters edge stock and top it off with light weight talleys, a leupy vx3 4.5-14x40 with CDS on it and call it good. It would start life looking like this:

[Linked Image]
It is a 30-06 and shoots like this right now so I may just have to wear out this barrel first:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

It will end up looking similar to this someday:
[Linked Image]
If I had F-U money, I'd find an already sporterized, but not D&T'd 1903 Springfield action, have it shortened to fit the .250 Savage round, Hinged floorplate, 20" barrel w/quarter rib, rust blued, marblecake walnut full length stock, skeleton grip cap and buttplate, with a flip up cocking pice sight, checkered at 24-26 LPI. total weight about 6-6/5 pounds.

Alternately, a matched set of pre-64 actions made into a .300 H&H and a .375, 26" barrel on the .300, 24" on the .375, .375 would have a peep of some sort, the .300 would have a 2.5-8 or comparable. well done exhbition grade, Walnut skeleton buttplate/grip cap. Maybe a leather covered pad on the .375.

Then I'd go to Africa and for a month and have a safari. Heck, I'm rich, right?
I already did it. Ready for Africa.

http://kilimanjarorifles.com/gallery.html gun number 2. A tack driver.
Tony....that Grisel rifle is as pretty as they come. Absolutely gorgeous. cool

Dakota 76 Alpine Delux in 7-08 or Best copy !

Standard grade Alpine pics:

http://gastatic.com/UserImages/99220/988396423/wm_3061720.jpg

http://gastatic.com/UserImages/99220/988396423/wm_3061721.jpg
Bump for old friends.

One should have at least one nice classic custom and plan on using it. This would not include a run of the mill 700 Lego Gun.
Already have mine on the way...er shaw mk7 in 250 savage. Polished bluing and walnut.
I have built everything I've wanted or thought I wanted but another one always creeps into my subconscious then begins to transform to reality. I've been on a single shot kick the last couple of customs and it's continuing. I dropped off a Ruger #1 action just last week to my smith. He'll tweak this and recontour some of the metal. The barrel is a McGowen half round half octagon with a slight taper.Skelton grip cap, metal but plate, custom quarter rib, Tally rings, island swivel bases, ebony forend tip. All appropriate metal color case hardened and exhibition English walnut nicely checkered. My caliber of choice on this one is a bit odd to some but I like the classic calibers and mostly hunt deer here in Michigan with the occasional trip to Wyoming and Texas in October so this will be in 300 Savage.

Down the road some I'm thinking a Hagen action and a 250 Savage would make for a good pair.
© 24hourcampfire