Home
Having been on here for several years now I know that the collective force here are not enamored with The Browning A-Bolt.

Why is that???

I know no specifics other than they seem to shoot well from those who own them!
Can't say, the only rifle I like better is the Tikka.
Several people have had small parts breakage. One or two guides have stated it's the model they've had break or seize up on clients more than any other.

Pot metal triggers, trigger guards, etc...

Mike
Speaking only for myself here. I see browning stickers on just about every truck that looks like it might be a hunting truck.

I think that the people that sport these on their trucks think they know something about rifles because they spent a little extra for a shiny rifle that is expensive, and will likely never shoot at a deer with it at over a hundred yards.

That's why I don't. But that's just me.

With the gay buckhead sticker on the truck. And it's made in Japan. It's marketing genius. That's just from where I am though. I perused this on the way to work this morning. The guy had a sticker on his truck that said "nothing kills a deer like a browning". I had to wonder why. But he didn't stop so I could ask him.

I guess the deer knows that the 150 gr. .308 bullet was propelled by a browning. If I told the dude it was made by a French company I would have to prove something.

Anyway, for some reason in south carolina Brownings are to redneck hunters what spinning rims are to our ghetto brothers.
GA also. I believe it is a carry over from the heyday of world class quail hunting GA used to have everywhere. Many old toots used sweet 16's and various other Browning shotguns and it carried over.

When I first moved here THE 2 required guns were the Rem 1100 and the Rem 742. The trend toward bolt actions switched #2 to a Browning stainless stalker....

Mike
Don't own an A-Bolt at the moment I have an X-Bolt SS, but I've owned several over the years with no complaints, all were very accurate. On average probably the most accurate out of the box brand I have owned. I think it's like another guy said they do use inferior metals in some parts like the trigger guard and bolt shroud (anodised aluminium)and the made in Japan sticks in some peoples throats, but look at Remington's floor plate's and trigger guards it's made of some kind of pot metal or other, Tikka is a popular rifle on the campfire and deservedly so, from what I have witnessed they are very accurate and for the money and I really stress "for the money" they are hard to beat, but there is much plastic or some kind of poly involved here in the clips and trigger guards not to say this is bad stuff it's just different than old school steel and that's how some people judge the quality of a rifle............547.
I have seen one brand new Browning A-bolt explode with factory ammo, and it was matching ammo. I have seen a broken extractor, a failed ejector and a light primer strike. I am not a fan of multipiece bolt, and the trigger design is horrible.
Originally Posted by eldave
Speaking only for myself here. I see browning stickers on just about every truck that looks like it might be a hunting truck.

I think that the people that sport these on their trucks think they know something about rifles because they spent a little extra for a shiny rifle that is expensive, and will likely never shoot at a deer with it at over a hundred yards.

With the gay buckhead sticker on the truck. And it's made in Japan. It's marketing genius. That's just from where I am though. I perused this on the way to work this morning. The guy had a sticker on his truck that said "nothing kills a deer like a browning". I had to wonder why. But he didn't stop so I could ask him.

I guess the deer knows that the 150 gr. .308 bullet was propelled by a browning. If I told the dude it was made by a French company I would have to prove something.

Anyway, for some reason in south carolina Brownings are to redneck hunters what spinning rims are to our ghetto brothers.

ummm what? I don't know anyone who owns a Browning rifle but can name 50 friends and people I've guided who own a Browning shotgun...how do you know the stickers weren't for that?
I can actually say I have first hand experience with this. Well almost...I was in a gun shop, a guy came in,his trigger gaurd was busted off on his new A-bolt. He had some "story" about had it came off. My first impression: dude is full of crap, he busted it and now is making an ass out him self by not being honest. How do you break metal on your gun except by being careless?

But now after reading about similar scenarios here and other places, it's hard not to believe that something may be amiss in their manufacturing process.

That's not to say they aint purdy, shoot tight, and are as smooth as butter.
I moved to GA about a year ago. My god there is Browning rifles everywhere. Several guys in my lease have them. And yes, I'm sick of seeing those stupid Browning deer stickers on the back of trucks in the South. Especially 2 wheel drive trucks (another thing I can't get used to, kinda like a strip club with no music, pretty useless IMO). The funny thing is back home in WA I don't know 1 single person who ones a Browning rifle (don't know anyone who ones 2 wheel drive truck either, hell, only know 1 who ones a 4 wheel drive that ain't lifted). I'm not a big fan of Browning rifles either. That stupid Boss system has to be the uglies thing Ive seen on rifle. And the guys at my lease seem to have trouble making them shoot. If you need a muzzle break on a 7mm, then go buy a 7mm-08 if you can't handle the recoil........
Rich,

I believe that the dislike of the A-Bolt is a holdover from the "Cult of the Big Stick". If you've been around long enough to remember him, you'd likely understand.

For the benefit of the newer folks, Big Stick was a rather charismatic fellow who hung out here for a few years until he got bored with us. He developed a fairly large following in a fairly short time. It wasn't long until it seemed lots of folks wanted to be like him. He did seem to be fairly opinionated. smile The legacy that he left us seems to be the McSwirly stocks, talley lwt mounts, Pac-Nor barrels, Remmy actions, and Leupold scopes with turrets. I believe he single-handedly increased McMIllan's annual sales significantly. (I even have a couple.... blush ) Altho' I do admit that none of mine have skull & crossbones decals on them. smile

It also seems Mr Stick harboured an extreme dislike for Trashco scopes, A-Bolts, and Savage rifles.... amoung other things... smile But I digress....
All that and their ugly too
I have worked on a few that belonged to friends. I've never owned one and never will. There are just too many better choices.
My brother has one in .270. It's bolt is ugly, it's stock is shiny and it's heavy. It also shoots lights out but I'll stick with other stuff.
I know a lot of people, usually kids, who have the Browning logo on their truck window because it looks cool. They do not even own a Browning and probably never will.
i'd advise that you not pay any attention to the "collective force" found here (or anywhere else for that matter). get the gun you want. plenty of people who post here own and are well satisfied with browning rifles. i know some folks who shoot browning rifles in my area and they seem like good americans. remember, this is the web and the squeeky wheel always gets the grease (read as arugmentative responses, outlandish statements, etc.). it is usually not a good idea to listen to a squeeky wheel.
Originally Posted by hotsoup
i'd advise that you not pay any attention to the "collective force" found here (or anywhere else for that matter). get the gun you want. plenty of people who post here own and are well satisfied with browning rifles. i know some folks who shoot browning rifles in my area and they seem like good americans. remember, this is the web and the squeeky wheel always gets the grease (read as arugmentative responses, outlandish statements, etc.). it is usually not a good idea to listen to a squeeky wheel.

I am not looking into buying an A-Bolt. And even if I was I buy what I want. I have 2 BLR's and they seem to run hot and cold here...........some like 'em some don't!!!
For me its the Cheesy Gold Plate trigger and the Cheesy Gold deer head logo on the trigger guard. If they ever put a just plain Blued trigger and leave the gold off the logo, I might buy one. They do seem to sell thou, for the life of me why? I don't know. Now the Browning Hi Powers of the 1960's are a different story, unless you got stuck with a salt wood stock. Cabelas had a 300 H+H in a Browning FN actioned High Power. Should have bought it. Didn't stick around long even in a down ecomomy.
Made in JAPAN!!!!!
Here in Edmonton Alberta, Canada, it is the rifle send to the gunsmith more then any other rifle for breakdowns.
The most frequent one is extractor breakage and malfunctioning bolt stop, meaning when you pull the bolt back she comes right out of the receiver.
Trigger is poor.
The bolt shroud is some sort of potmetal casting.
The A-Bolt is made for the guy that shoots may be one box/year.
It is NOT made for the person that shoots a lot.
Their accuracy out of the box is usually surprisingly good.
I don't like shiny, plastic-finished wood, and the pistol grip is too tight a curve for my own comfort. I don't like the short bolt lift, or the shape of the bolt handle, don't like the magazine design, and I could probably think of other stuff I don't like about 'em. Oh yeah, when the SchitFerBrains sales clerk tried to sell me one, he badmouthed Model Seventies, and that pizzed me off, too.
I'm more selective on how I spend my money....A bolts are way overpriced for me...I'd buy or reccomend a Tikka/Sako or even something from Savage in a bolt gun...Marlin in a lever gun...
I'm one of the A-Bolt bashers on this site. I owned one for a short time, having purchased it (used) for my son. It was a Hunter model in 7-08. It was kinda pretty and certainly accurate enough, but IMHO it was nothing more than an accurate piece of junk. Inferior metal everywhere, a tremendously over-complicated bolt assembly held together with pins that was just asking for trouble, a magazine (also overcomplicated) that allowed the cartridges to rattle around as you walked through the woods, and more. Fortunately, my son liked it about as much as I did, so I sold it. Never again. Owned a BLR for awhile and got rid of that for similar reasons, too, but that's another story. The shotguns may well be different, but I have no first hand info about them.
Originally Posted by wvhunter
Made in JAPAN!!!!!

Yup and they could learn a thing or two about steel.They've never been known for producing good steel.

Because out of the box they often outshoot a remington ?
Not a hard feat these days.
I agree 7 STW, The Remington's I've purchased of late have been lacking in the accuracy department, accuracy was never an issue for me with Remington until lately. I think they may be getting a little sloppy, quality control is slipping a little at big green, maybe trying to put out too many guns for Wal-Mart or something..........547.
Browning firearms are in general cheesy, gaudy, clubby designs.
I love my Stainless A-Bolt 260. Shoots friggin great, light and came out of the box not needing any work done to the trigger or bedding. Hunted with in in rain, sleet, snow and hot dry dusty stuff. Never a single hiccup. Magazine doesnt rattle at all. Done some low crawling with in in Wyoming sneaking up on an antelope, trigger guard didnt even break! I shoot, alot, never had a single problem with that gun. I do favor Rugers, but that A-Bolt is not a gun I am ashamed to own.

The only rifle I have ever owned that was a complete and total POS was a FWT M-70. I will never own another one of those again.
JAPAN
deleted
I've had several A-bolts. I've had horses roll over them and break the stocks. Run into trees and bust scopes. But I've never had a part of the actual gun break or malfunction. They have been acurate and held up well. But mine were all built int he 70's. I don't know how the newer guns are holding up.

Originally Posted by Savage_99
Originally Posted by Whelenman
JAPAN

I have a particular dislike of products made in japan. The primary reason is personal as my mothers only brother was killed by the japs near the end of WW2. It happend on Luzon where he was a sargent and full time army.

There are other reasons of course. The japs were the first here with imports to go against 'made in the USA' in my time.

Not surprised Sav 99 holds a prejudiced grudge. My brother lost a leg to a German but he holds no grudges against Germany. In fact we have some German blood in us along with about a half dozen other bloodlines!

I'm sorry for your loss, I'm sure your mother's only brother is/was missed.

MtnHtr
I have an A Bolt and a Weatherby, 4 Remingtons and a Handi Rifle, which are all pretty good, but if had to go to one rifle, would pick any of those rather than A bolt. Not a bad rifle, but not my choice.
I'm suprised so much disdain just because it's made in Japan....I'd say overall Japan makes better stuff on average than the crap made in the US today. If it's political reasons that's fine. But their manafacturing is way above the US in several areas.

"Made in the USA" doesn't mean jack squat today for quality - it means someone is keeping their job, but doesn't speak anything about quality.

Hang outside the US for very long and you'll see what a laughing stock some of our "exports" are compared to other nations. The only difference in "some" of the stuff the US makes now and the crap they import from Japan is the stuff made in the US has english directions.

I'm not a fan of browning rifles...but not because they are made in Japan. In fact I just bought a Vanguard for a barreled action and it was made in Japan and I'd throw the quality on it up against an out of the box Remington nowdays and come out ahead on average.
Back to the original topic of this thread.

I ran a few A-Bolts in the late eighties and early nineties and never suffered a failure other than some rust. I might be wrong here but Browning was the first to offer a production bolt gun with a synthetic stock named the Composite Stalker back in '89. Browning was also the first to offer a stainless production bolt rifle a year later (1990). Those features were important to me but I later switched to others as they started offering syn stocks and SS models.

Miroku firearms is the producer for Browning rifles and shotguns. They build quality shotguns and no doubt could build a decent rifle but Browning's engineers directed them on building the A bolt when they switched from FN (producer of the former Browning BBR) to Miroku.

A Look At Miroku Firearms

MtnHtr

My personal reasons for not liking them is that you have to disengage the safety to unload them. I have 1 rifle that does that, but it's a lever action and made in 1926.grin

Mike

Originally Posted by John_G
I'm one of the A-Bolt bashers on this site. I owned one for a short time, having purchased it (used) for my son. It was a Hunter model in 7-08. It was kinda pretty and certainly accurate enough, but IMHO it was nothing more than an accurate piece of junk. Inferior metal everywhere, a tremendously over-complicated bolt assembly held together with pins that was just asking for trouble, a magazine (also overcomplicated) that allowed the cartridges to rattle around as you walked through the woods, and more. Fortunately, my son liked it about as much as I did, so I sold it. Never again. Owned a BLR for awhile and got rid of that for similar reasons, too, but that's another story. The shotguns may well be different, but I have no first hand info about them.

John, sounds like you didn't like the gun and have a few reason why, but I guess my question is did you actually ever have any issues come up with the gun while you were using it?

Thx

Dober
MtnHtr-- Thx for the memory, Miroku made what is to me one of the finest fitting stackguns ever made! As a younger pup I lusted after a Miroku BB gun more than from time to time.

Dober
I hear people witch and moan about the A-bolt on the web but aside from that I've never heard and or seen an issue with them.

Personally I've never owned one but have several friends who hunt a ton load and hunt them very hard and they've never had any issues. I ask them about them and tell them about the wows on people on the internet about the A-bolt and they just snicker... grin

I could and would hunt one hard if I choose to and I'd never worry about it.

Dober
Originally Posted by Mtn Hunter
I might be wrong here but Browning was the first to offer a production bolt gun with a synthetic stock named the Composite Stalker back in '89.

Browning definately was ONE of the first to offer a synthetic stock on a production rifle, but I believe the very first was Weatherby, with their Fibermark model in 1985. I bought a Fibermark in .300 Weatherby in 1986 and hunted it hard for quite a few years. Great rifle.

I, too, am puzzled as to why the Browning rifles don't seem to get more respect. I've never actually owned one, but I've handled and shot a few and they seem fairly well designed and put together.
Their triggers are something special to behold.
I've never used an A-Bort, but I was tempted to try a Browning Ti.
I had an A-Bolt in 280 Rem probably 10 years ago or so. It shot alright, but wasn't anything special. I can tell you that here in Alaska, the A-Bolt has single handidly taken credit for more field failures than any other brand by word of mouth, and as I recall its the triggers that usually are to blame. I personally dont like all the cheap looking bling on em, but thats just me.
Just got back from the range and My X-Bolt SS 30.06 shot Remington Core-Lokt 150gr PSP factory loads into 4 shot groups that measured 5/8" and 3/4" at 100 paces (only shot two groups and it got too dark) but that's damn fine accuracy out of a factory rifle shooting cheap factory loads, it's really about as accurate a rifle as I have ever owned,and believe me I've owned many models of just about every brand out there including Sako, Remington, Weatherby, Ruger, and Winchester. ( never a Tikka, I'm sure they are good rifles but too much plastic for my taste) The new trigger on the X-Bolt feels good but I've not looked into the mechanics of it yet, I know it's very similar to the new Winchester Mod 70 design so someone that knows more than I can tell me if this new trigger system is junk. I also agree with some of the guy's about the cheap metal used in some of it's parts, and You can also throw Remington in that boat (pot metal floor plates and trigger guards)and I especially hate the plastic parts on some other makes, that said you have to admit these Browning's are dang accurate rascals and daddy loves accuracy..............547.
I tested an A-Bolt .270 in 1986 when they first appeared. It wasn't as classically pretty as some guns, but it shot very well and was pretty darn light. (You can buy A-Bolts in every weight from VERY light to pretty heavy.) My wife had been hunting for a coupleof years then, deer and antelope with my old Rem. 722 in .257 Roberts, but wanted to start hunting elk. She shot the A-Bolt and liked it, everything from the trigger to the light weight, so we bought it.

I worked up a couple loads that shot to the same place with the 130 Hornady and 150 Nosler Partition, and both loads shot very well too. She went on to hunt with the A-Bolt for five more seasons, at one time having a string of 10 1-shot kills on a row. These were mostly pronghorn, whitetail and mule deer, but included a couple of eating elk and a Shiras moose. One of the pronghorns was about 430 yards away, and one of the mule deer was the biggest buck she's ever killed. She quit using the A-Bolt only when she got a NULA .270, but we never had any trouble with the A-Bolt.

I have shot a few others over the years and all were very accurate, probably because (like some other accurate out-of-the-box bolt rifles such as Savage, Tikka and Sako) the barrel is free-floated. The one X-Bolt I've hunted with was also extremely accurate. I'm not crazy about some of the pot-metal parts, but Eileen obviously hunted her A-Bolt pretty hard and didn't have any problems.

There may be better trigger designs but the A-Bolt's is easier to adjust and smooth up (if need be) than many others. I have tuned up A-Bolt triggers for some friends and they were all happy.

They may be made in Japan but a lot of stuff is, and as somebody else pointed out not all American-made firearms are superb examples of manufacturing.

I probably wouldn't buy an A-Bolt to use as a wilderness rifle, but for most hunting they seem to work fine, and shoot great right out of the box.
Only one I have had personal experience with was bought new as a gift for a relative. Even after glass bedding etc it would never shoot better than softball sized groups.

I have owned two BLR's and both were fine in my book. Only reason I sold the 308 was I have a pre 64 Winchester 88. Dad does too so we can interchange ammo, clips etc as both are using my reloads. I liked the feel of the overall gun and the workings of the action better in the BLR.

Anyone seen or heard anything about the new the new X-Bolts?
As all here I may have more guns than required. About 1/3 of my rifles are brownings. One of my tests is which one do you want to grab leaving the cabin. More than not - it is my micro hunter 270wsm a-bolt or my 7-08 BLR. Both are far under MOA. At the end of the season I wish I would of hunted with some of my pre 64's or the custom accurized jobs I spent the big money on - but for some reason I go to the dang brownings. I still like them but grab the one you like going out the door. The important thing is git out the door.
My son shoots a Browning Micro-Medallion in 7-08 that I handload for. Using the 120gr TSX or 120gr NBT, it will shoot 1" or better at 100 yard all day long. We do not hunt wilderness areas, just southeast farmland/swamps, and he loves it.
Something I have noticed is that most gunshops you go to
have new Remingtons, Winchesters, Rugers, Weatherbys, etc.
But dont carry Browning, Savage, and Stevens.
The worst factory trigger I ever pulled was on one of the early A Bolt Stainless Stalkers in .338. Factory set it must have pulled close to 10 pounds. The first time I shot it I honestly stopped and rechecked the safety to make sure it wasnt still engaged.

The only factory trigger that has ever scared the hell out me was on a .284 Micro Medallion.
This one went south on me while shooting off a bench rest. Two rounds into a three shot group it refused to fire.
I slacked off and started to reach back to cycle the bolt and BLAMMO it discharges downrange.
I pulled this 6 month old gem apart at the bench,took a quick look at what they called a trigger and after dropping 125.00 in repairs at the gunsmiths sold that little POS at a loss at the next gunshow.

Someone posted today that Remington 700's have bad triggers.
They should enjoy a Browning A Bolt.

That said I've got friends who swear by theirs after having the trigger work done and havent had a bit of trouble with them so maybe it's "luck of the draw."
Originally Posted by Grasshopper
Rich,

I believe that the dislike of the A-Bolt is a holdover from the "Cult of the Big Stick". If you've been around long enough to remember him, you'd likely understand.

For the benefit of the newer folks, Big Stick was a rather charismatic fellow who hung out here for a few years until he got bored with us. He developed a fairly large following in a fairly short time. ..........
It also seems Mr Stick harboured an extreme dislike for Trashco scopes, A-Bolts, and Savage rifles.... amoung other things... smile But I digress....

Grasshopper,
Thanks for sharing your insight on this issue. Are you SURE that this "Big Stick" isn't still posting here on occasion under another alias? I think he's still around....unfortunately.
hi all. i have never been able to understand the hate for the browning abolt. i had one in 270 win. it was my first big game rifle. it had the boss brake on it and a would shoot fed 130 gr. nosler ballistic tips in 1/2-3/4 of inch all day long. i thought the wood was nice, although the stock scratched easy and the trigger could be tuned to 3 lbs. it was lightweight and a pleasure to carry. as often happens, it was traded for another "better" idea. i still wished i had that one back! i never experienced a single problem with it. i also was fond of the detatchable mag. i would however have replaced the boss with the cr brake if it had been available. -keith
Never cared for the A-Bolt design and wouldn't consider purchasing one - too many other options I DO like.

That said, I have a Brwoning B92 carbine in .44 Mag which I think very highly of as well as the one of the best .22 semi's ever made, a Browning .22LR Semi-Auto Take-Down.
The Howa (Japan) made Mark Vs are the best that were ever made in my opinion.

And the Browning Auto 5 is my bestest, most favorite shotgun to date!

I got a Rem 700 ADL 30'06 when I turned 14 and my buddy got an A-bolt. I was so jealous, but I killed as many deer as he did over the years of my youth, if not more, so I didn't covet it long! Just never got one...no real reason why. I suspect they have killed plenty O game since their birth!
I bought a Composite Stalker in .270 back in 1989 .I wanted the Stainless Stalker but couldn't find one Shot the barrel out of that gun over a 5 year period. Accuracy was good no issues or problems.
I have owned one; a 223 that was very accurate.Seen many at the range,and all have shot very well.But to me, they seem tinny,like they are constructed of old coke cans and spare parts.I just don't like them,regardless of their virtues.
If you go through enough rifles of any brand you will run into some dogs, the worst luck I've experienced has been with Winchester model 70's I have seen some mighty shoddy work on model 70's especially the later rifles made in New Haven, and I love the feel of Weatherby's MK V Ultralight but after more tries than I care to remember I never did find one that would shoot, that said I'm sure you can line dozens of guy's up on this site that will sing the praises of the mighty Model 70 and the Weatherby MK V, My point is just like anything else whether cars or TVs or gun's you will find some that are fantastic and others that are junk.........547.
I wouldn't buy an A-bolt but I don't have a problem recommending them to customers. About 1000 guns a year come in my door for repairs or custom work. I really don't see many A-bolts with issues. There triggers on average are way better out of the box than the big 3. To me they are like the Savage and Tikka, to many small parts and plastic pieces but just might shoot on par with a pricy big name custom rig.

I really don't have a problem with "Made in Japan", it is almost 2009. I don't like to see it on my Browning O/U for upland work but on other rifles like 1886's and 1892's it doesn't make me flinch. The hot azz loads these fine guns digest without a hiccup do however.

As far as the Browning sticker on my truck goes, you try peeling it off! My respect for Browning's genius is more than skin deep.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Made in JAPAN!!!!!

You mean as in some Winchester, Weatherby, and other products??? Made in Japan - suggesting that it is not AS GOOD as made in America product? Where do you think most of the stuff you buy at WalMart is made - CHINA!!!!!! I'm sorry some jobs have been exported - but I think the MUCH more serious problem is workers that have been IMPORTED - 20,000,000 , that 20 million people who've snuck under the fence. The Dems don't seem to be too concerned about that - but a million or two jobs shipped overseas - shame on the Republicans??? Give me a break!

I seem to be hearing alot of complaints about T/C rifles lately - and they are made where???
I have not seen a TC Encore centerfire that would shoot MOA with factory or hand loads yet, I tried three Myself (all different calibers on two different frames) before giving up and I've seen at least four more of My buddies rigs and all were marginal at best in the accuracy department, but TC is paying out the bucks to these hunting celebs, I see a bunch of Encore rifles being used on the Hunting Channel but those guy's don't care what they use just who will pay them the most to use their product, I guess that's why TC Encores are a little pricey in My book especially for what you get.. I have zero experience with the Icon bolt action rifle it May be a different story and be a great shooter. I do know to My eyes they are an ugly beast..................547.
I don't know about "dislike",but its a rifle that has no appeal to me personally..I settled on thee 98 Mauser custom and the pre 64 Win. a long time ago and have seen no reason to change...I am avid about using a control rifle and that's based on 60 plus years of observation and use of both CFR and pushfeeds. Won't argue the point as everyone has the option to choose their own rifles and this is a good thing.
I forgot to mention that last year, I bought a Vanguard in .300WSM for an Oryx hunt here. Got my Oryx - one shot at over 450 yards.

Anyway, my younger son drew an elk tag so I traded a pistol for an A-Bolt Composite Stalker with BOSS in .300WSM for him. Shooting them side by side at the range, the A-Bolt is stunningly accurate and the BOSS works GREAT in reducing recoil, allowing longer practice sessions, etc.

I've sold the Vanguard and am looking for a Stainless Stalker in .300WSM W/ BOSS for myself. I've been at this shooting thing for about 40 years and don't find anything to complain about on the A-Bolt.
my hunting partner, joe, has an abolt in .243... he farms a number of properties and thought that brownings box magazine would be "the answer" for a guy who was in and out of the truck a lot...

the magazine on his rifle had to ba carefully aligned with the floorpl=ate, and carefully and gently closed... he found it difficult to use... gloves and poor lighting made it worse...
it was a noisy operation and a bit flimsy....

i believe that he buried the rifle with a backhoe.....
i'd add that joe is a calm sort, by nature... never seen his wife or his kids fluster him as badly as that browning rifle.....
Mark,
Sorry I didn't answer earlier, but I've been busy running around for Christmas. You're right, I didn't have any breakdowns or malfunctions with the A-Bolt (the only functional gripe I can make is that the bolt could be difficult to place back into the action if you didn't take the time to align everything just right). It was just a matter of looking at the cheesy parts and the weird bolt design and losing trust in it. If my son had liked it, I might have kept it for him, but he preferred my 40+ year-old Rem 660 in .308, so the Browning went (happily) down the road.
eastplace,
Now that's dedication, brother!
I have a Browning A-Bolt Hunter in .270 Win that's close to 20 years old. Never had a single problem with it. I have no idea how many rounds have been fired in it, but I would guess it's around 800 rounds. It will still put 3, 130 grn Barnes right at a inch at 100 yrds. The only thing I ever did to it was to have the trigger replaced, as it was a DOG, and I also stripped the shiny finish off the stock and put a oil finish on it before I ever fired the first round thru it. I would guess It's killed somewhere around 500 deer and maybe 50 hogs.
( Before anyone flames me as a game hog, I shoot deer deperadition tags on my brother in laws farm every summer)

A-Bolts are quite popular around here. Light weight and 22" barrels make it a good "swamp" rifle, and they are still accurate enough to make those 250-300 yrd "beanfield" shots.

Browning does have a BIG following here in the South, and especially here in S.C. where dog hunting for deer is legal.
The "Humpback" A-5 was almost looked at as a status symbol when I was growing up. It was THE shotgun to own for for any serious dog hunter.

Granted, my A-Bolt is not as pretty, or as fun to shoot as my Kimber .260, but it's still a solid hunter that I have no problem taking to the deer stand.
I've no love for an A-bolt, and find it amazing one would plunk down money when other choices are available.

I do, however, have deep love for Browning shotguns as well as take-down 22s.
I can respect the toughness and durability of a Clitori, we have three in the house. The Buckmark is a slick pistol and we have one of them. The BPS is the single best choice for left-handed or left-eyed shooters and we have one of them. All of the above compete with their peers and win plenty often.

The A-Bolt is something quite different. We also have one of them and have had several come through. The model is responsible for more personally-witnessed in-field failures than ALL other models of rifles combined. Yet only a small fraction of my rifle experiences afield include A-Bolts.

Usually the trigger groups rust to a fixed mode and refuse to fire. Often they do it in just a day or two.

If you hunt from a vehicle and seldom get into serious weather and salty conditions the A-Bolt may work for you forever. I even know a few serious guys that have used A-Bolts in nasty conditions for extended periods without issue.

But if you are really going on a serious hunt there are better choices... Anything would be a better choice, actually.
art
A friend of mine used to be a Browning rep, and he is a fan of the A bolt. He has told me on more than one occasion that they are great rifles, but you may have to buy more than one to find a real "shooter". Case in point, he owns three A bolts in 300 WSM and only has one that shoot under 1.5-2" at 100 yards.

I am not an A bolt "hater", but that is not acceptable.
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
there are better choices...

This is the bottom line.
I owned an A-bolt bolt in .280 but traded it off after it failed to fire for the second time with fur in the scope. It had light primer strikes on two occasions and both occasions was when I was shooting at deer.

I figured it was a good gun for an amimal rights nut, so now I just stick with Remingtons.
It's good to see the folks that dislike the A-Bolt present their arguments in a civil fashion for a change. Folks will usually listen if a negative point of view is presented in an honorable manner.
Thanks for the insights "Sitka Deer" and "1fstdsl".
Originally Posted by 1fstdsl
I figured it was a good gun for an amimal rights nut, so now I just stick with Remingtons.

Now that's funny right there.
Wow - What a list of divergent views- While I am in the camp of having an a-bolt micro hunter and 3 blr's that shoot and carry great - one has to believe that there must some fire behind all this smoke. I guess I have been lucky and quality must vary at times.
I love Brownings, the real one's made in America and Europe.

The Miroku is NOT a Browning. It's an Asian copy.

Not here to badmouth A-bolts or any other rifles.

In 1971 I bought my first Ruger. Bought many more since then, along with many other brands.

Over the years the Rugers stayed and the others went. For me, they fit right, work well and don't cost a fortune.
With the current high level of competitiveness in gun sales and manufacturing, and the frequency at which people sue for little reason, I find it somewhat hard to believe that Browning could continue to manufacture a firearm - much less a thumb tack, that has the potential for such carnage.

Now I'm not saying others may be less than candid in their comments, but the day will come when they want to sell their 7, 70, 77, 700 +, and they'll want top dollar for such stellar machines.

On the other hand, if any of you have A-Bolts, I'll be glad to send you a shipping box and pay freight, so that I can take them out of circulation and make our ranges, fields, forests, mountains, plains, swamps, and hollows safer for all of us by putting all of these A-Bolt ticking time-bombs in a place where they can do no harm.

I urge you A-Bolt owners to do your part for the betterment of our sport. Now IS the time for CHANGE, I hear. sick
Originally Posted by SU35
I love Brownings, the real one's made in America and Europe.

The Miroku is NOT a Browning. It's an Asian copy.

Too bad. It's a known fact that most all of the Miroku Browning firearms (shotguns and rifles) have better fit and finish, both inside and out, than the Belgium/Portugal ones.
And the Asians have also produced a better car for years...
I like my A Bolt! It works, it's accurate, great to carry even though there are no swamps around here. The last Remington I had was a dud. A 700 CDL SF in 7-08. Poor finish on the stock, even poorer accuracy, plus it sprayed rounds all over when the floor plate was unlatched. Spent more time looking for ammo than hunting some days! This experience won't stop me from buying another 700 sometime...who knows, may even buy another A Bolt...or three!

Merry Christmas folks...Stay Safe

Paul
My dad has two BLR's from the late 70's. Great rifles, never a problem. We have, conservatively, 10,000 rounds through a 30 year old BL-22 and never a hiccup. Great luck with a Browning semi-auto .22 that my dad traded off after 5 years.

I have a Browning BPS 12 gauge that has been a gem. I have a Browning 71, in .348 of course, whose fit and finish can match anyones and is better than most. Great rifle! I had a Browning 53 and 65 made by Miroku; again excellent fit, finish and accuracy.

Browning and Miroku have been superb choices for my dad and I, but I've never owned an A-Bolt.

Orr it could be that they are fans of the very excellent Citori line of shotguns, which are a bit better than good....

I have said more than once - I would trade an A-bolt for a ham sandwich mae with bad mayo. Friend of mine is a dyed in the wool Browning nut, if it is Browning it is his, he even admits that his ABolt isn't all that great of a rifle.

I can't imagine spending the $$ on an A bolt when just about anything else on the shelf is more inexpensive without the drawbacks.

While I absolutely dote on Browning's design of the 1911 and Hi-Power, he would have a heart attack if he looked at the complication Browning is putting into their rifle line today.
If Big Stick was opposed to A-bolts that is just about recommendation enough to go out and buy one!

I had one in .223 target model and it was excellent. As is my custom it got traded off in order to try something else. At times it is one I wish I had back, however.

I have a Browning Gold Medallion .22 which I am unhappy with because the clip acted up and then I found the company didn't provide support by maintaining a supply of replacements.

I have a 20 gauge Browning Citori (Sitka Deer - Clitori? Was that a Freudian slip?) It is my absolute favourite shotgun.

Back probably in the '70s for a short time I had a .270 BBR. It was one of the most ungainly rifles I ever owned so it went down the road fairly quickly. Mechanically I had no complaint with it.

Just my thoughts,

Jim
I regret that I wasn't able to meet this "Big Stick" character...sounds like he was the life of the party.
Originally Posted by Hawk_Driver
I love my Stainless A-Bolt 260. Shoots friggin great, light and came out of the box not needing any work done to the trigger or bedding. Hunted with in in rain, sleet, snow and hot dry dusty stuff. Never a single hiccup. Magazine doesnt rattle at all. Done some low crawling with in in Wyoming sneaking up on an antelope, trigger guard didnt even break! I shoot, alot, never had a single problem with that gun. I do favor Rugers, but that A-Bolt is not a gun I am ashamed to own.

The only rifle I have ever owned that was a complete and total POS was a FWT M-70. I will never own another one of those again.
Hey Hawk driver- 260 Stainless stalker - so you bought the other one smile Absolutely love mine. I did replace the trigger spring(so easy) and while I loved the feel of the stock -how anyone could call that svelt lightweight and NOT expensive rifle "clublike"...........I replaced it with a much more clubby B and C Medalist that is oh so consistant. The trigger breaks VERY cleanly. Extremely good shooter and the absolute perfect deer rifle\round for my needs. The short throw, slanted, bolt cycles faster than any action I have ever tried and allows for follow ups where others wouldn't. I love tha mag design and still haven't broken anything on it. I will admit to wishing it stripped easier for cleaning and will have to live with the stygma of not being a true rifle-man I guess..
Originally Posted by mcknight77
Not here to badmouth A-bolts or any other rifles.

In 1971 I bought my first Ruger. Bought many more since then, along with many other brands.

Over the years the Rugers stayed and the others went. For me, they fit right, work well and don't cost a fortune.
Yeah -thank God there is no Ruger detractors -right? whistle
My left-handed son has a Medalion II 30-06.I got good buy on it.Very Accurate. We were second owner.When we got ot,it looked a little rough for only being a couple of years old.But after one season,it looked much worse,and my son was easy on it.The factory gloss finish is much too hard,it shatters.The bluing wears off quickly,too.Except for the metric checkering which requires a single point,it's easy to refinish.
This is actually a pretty interesting discussion. I can't really think of a Browning product that I don't like, other that the A-Bolt...and no, I never had anything go wrong with one. Some had more felt recoil than they should have (for caliber), and the others just didn't feel good. But then again, I don't like .270's either! smile
will second the felt recoil on the Brownings. They are a bit lighter than other traditional rifles. Not enitrely sure but the butt stock might be a touch shorter. That is a bad combination when trying to avoid recoil and why I dislike most youth guns for young'uns. It resulted in a fast recoil. Even after swapping to a Sims Limbsaver the kick garnered some surprise in a few. Changing the stock to a B and C Medalist fixed that completely. It is still lightweight, just more pleasant.

Nice to see such a non-judgmental , unbiased, well-reasoned response.

While I don�t own, or particularly care for, Browning A-Bolt rifles, I do own three different Browning firearms and love every one of them. These include a Buckmark .22 pistol, B92 carbine in .44 Mag, and what I consider to be the finest lightweight .22 semi-auto design ever, a Browning take-down .22LR. The Buckmark is stamped �Made in USA� and is very accurate and reliable, a great little pistol. The .22 and .44 are both products of Miroku in Japan and, in spite of not having �Made in Belgium� stamped on them, they are both are excellent firearms.

You may find the Browning logo �gay� but I rather like it, even if I don�t adorn my possessions with it. That said, I do wear a beautiful, handmade silver belt buckle with a Ruger logo on it, and would not mind having a similar buckle with the Browning logo. I think the �gayness� of the Browning logo reflects more on the mindset of the viewer than the logo itself.

I would agree the �nothing kills a deer like a browning" claim is ridiculous, but no more so than labeling Browning owners as rednecks or coming to the conclusion that Browning owners will �likely never shoot at a deer with it at over a hundred yards�. While I�ve never hunted down south, I have met many southerners while hunting my home state of Colorado and haven�t seen any state in the south where longer shots are not possible.

Ruger, Remington and Savage rifles are more to my taste but the A-bolt owners I know think pretty highly of their rifles.

Originally Posted by kenjs1
will second the felt recoil on the Brownings. They are a bit lighter than other traditional rifles. Not enitrely sure but the butt stock might be a touch shorter. That is a bad combination when trying to avoid recoil and why I dislike most youth guns for young'uns. It resulted in a fast recoil. Even after swapping to a Sims Limbsaver the kick garnered some surprise in a few. Changing the stock to a B and C Medalist fixed that completely. It is still lightweight, just more pleasant.

Make that another vote for the harsh recoil from the A-Bolt. They're typically on the lighter side which doesn't help with recoil at all, but I do enjoy the lightness when carrying.
....I haven't read through this thread, but responding to the original question, here goes...The Browning rifles favor a more Euro style in an American market that has been 'owned' by more traditional American classic styling. The glitz of gold triggers and extreme high gloss finishes on the stock don't appeal to those who cling to the appeal of soft luster hand rubbed finishes. The newest rifle offering from Browning , the X-bolt leans even more heavily toward Euro styling. With the increasing success of Tikka in our market perhaps this trend toward more European styling will continue to gain market here..For me, the best of Browning's offerings are the Winchester re-productions they do from time to time. They build good quality, but for this old timer's tastes, they miss the mark...
The A-bolt would not be my first choice in a rifle because I don't reallly like how they feel when I shoulder them. But the people I know who own them are pleased with them. I've asked my gunsmith, who I believe to be one of the best in the Pittsburgh area, his opinion of the a-bolts and he has nothing bad to say about them. He has done at least two custom jobs that I know of using a-bolts.

I've seen every brand of rifle out there bashed at some point on the internet. Some seem to get more than others and the a-bolt is one of them. The only two rifles I've bought and not been pleased with were a model 70 and a model 94, both of which I sold. But I'd like to own another of each. They just aren't high on the priority list compared to some other rifles I plan to add to the safe.

I'd say if you like the fit and feel of the A-bolt over other riles you should go with it. I've never been able to "try before I buy" so they are all a crap shoot when you lay your money down.
The new X bolts appear even cheesier and cheaper than the A bolts, which is nice.
What's cheesy about them. I've only seen one so far?
Boman,
Hold one and look at the metal used for the trigger, floorplate, detachable magazine, and safety - then you'll know what's meant by cheesy.
Boman,
Hold one and look at the metal used for the trigger, floorplate, detachable magazine, and safety - then you'll know what's meant by cheesy.
I own several Browning firearms, two of which are A-bolts. One is a Stainless Stalker in 300 win mag and the other is a 325WSM. Both of these rifles are very accurate and I have had absolutely no problems with either. The 300 win mag I have owned for over 10 years and have killed 8-10 elk and 3-4 deer, some close some over 300 yards. The 325wsm has killed 2 elk and 2 deer, the one deer was a lasered 445 yards. I also have winchester, remington, savage, sako, ruger, interarms etc. Most of these guns shoot as well as I can. The only gun that I ever had that I was never able to get to shoot well was a Model 70 classic FWT in 22-250 I tried many factory loads and at least 15 different handloads that worked in some of my other 22-250's and could never get it to shoot better than about 3" at 100yards. I also have other model 70 classics and pre 64's, and push feeds that shoot very well. So I guess the moral of the story is: Sometimes you win sometimes you lose.

Bart
The Citori Upland FW fits me perfectly; I'm on my second one. A beautifully made firearm. Except the plating on the receiver on my first one <g>.

I like BLR's for what they do, which is unique, but the glossy stock, gold trigger, BAD trigger... not so much. Neil Jones can fix those BLR triggers by the way.

My elk hunting bud Jerry has been dragging an A-Bolt in 338 around the woods for over a decade, no problems. We get plenty of harsh weather up where we hunt 'em. No salt though. Reading Sitka's comments, I almost wonder if they used a couple different types of steel for their trigger groups or something?

I personally can't abide by the Euro-styling of the A-bolt... about as non-classic as it gets, from an American perspective.

That they are made is Japan is a GOOD thing as far as I'm concerned. The Japanese know how to build nice things.

As far as Big Stick... the guy who gets banned from every forum he joins... who went and formed his own forum, where boys could be boys, which then had to be scaled way back once all his legions of enemies found him... and because, well, it SUCKS... this place is better off without him. Most of the guys here who live to degrade the quality of polite discourse, are associated with BS.
Originally Posted by 7 STW
Made in JAPAN!!!!!

Yup and they could learn a thing or two about steel.They've never been known for producing good steel.

When I begin hunting moose in a few more days it'll be Rugers that go along for the trigger squeeze. Until that moment, however, the machinery spinning at 6000 RPMs will be "inferior" Japanese aluminum and steel, none of which has done that spinning and reciprocating in the two stroke motors of which it is a part for less than 10,000 miles. If that means they "could learn a thing or two", fine, but it sure won't be any Americans doing the teaching. "Good ol'" USA does not produce such product.

I hate what happened before and during World War II, but if that hatred is applied to what happens now, then we'll be living in caves. Ain't much love to be found in humans slaughtering each other - regardless who's doing the slaughtering and who's being slaughtered.
Bighorn75: Would the gunsmith be Bruno?
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
. Most of the guys here who live to degrade the quality of polite discourse, are associated with BS.

Low blow Jeff. At least when they have something to say you know who is saying it and whom they are saying it to. You don't have to read between any lines.

You seem to be able to get into a disagreement with a stump.

Originally Posted by battue
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
. Most of the guys here who live to degrade the quality of polite discourse, are associated with BS.

Low blow Jeff. At least when they have something to say you know who is saying it and whom they are saying it to. You don't have to read between any lines.

You seem to be able to get into a disagreement with a stump.

"Degrading the quality of polite discourse" is simply punk-a$$ to me, regardless of whether you're arguing with a stump or not...
"Degrading the quality of polite discourse" can be fixed. Not sure if the same applies to "arguing with a stump."

Addition to Jeff: I admire your enthusiasm and support of the hunting/shooting sports. We need more like that. But sometimes we just disagree and should just let it go after a page or two wink .
Rahtreelimb, I think it is because they a Japanese made and IMO at one time they were very over priced for what they were. I never likes their high gloss finish. And they are a tad heavy for most folks.
Mine weighs in at a little over 8.5 pounds but that is light when compared to my Ruger No. 1B's that weigh in at 10.25 pounds.
I have a .270 Win A-Bolt that I bought used. The finish was in bad shape so I refinished it and glassed bedded the action and it shoots sub-MOA. With some factory ammo and my reloads. I have also had a 300 WSM in a A-Bolt Stalker. After over six months I sent it down the road. I never could get it shoot better than 1 1/2� groups.
Fair enough Battue! :-)

I've had so many low blows from that crew that maybe I'm forgetting my manners.

By the way I get into arguments with stumps all the time, seeing as I heat my house with woodstoves and cut my own wood every year- but my Huskies and maul win the argument for me. <grin>.
Good man. (And you can bust a nut with the best when appropriate.)
Not sure I want to get into this, but here goes...
My gunsmith friend says there's hardly a mass produced factory rifle today that he doesn't see for repairs or fixin' of some kind. 3 of my last 7 purchases have all had SERIOUS problems right out of the box! That's 43%, and fairly typical according to him.

An A-Bolt SS (LH)in 375H&H that wouldn't shoot anything into a group! I spent $175 on it, including bedding, trigger work, recrowning the muzzle... and finally cutting the barrel down to 22". That cost 150fps and no better accuracy. It went down the road! The bore was 8/1000" off-center! Just by looking at that 4" chunk of steel, you can see the bore was off-center! (BTW, I've owned a couple other A-Bolts that were VERY fast and Very accurate!)

A Remington M673 in 350 Rem Mag... the chamber was UNFINISHED! Roughed out only and undersize! Had to be polished by my gunsmith! A floorplate that refused to stay shut and would pop open at the most critical times... like on a bear hunt when a bear was coming to my bait and it dumped the full load onto my plastic seat sounding like firecrackers going off!!! IT GOT TRADED!

An 1895 Marlin in 45-70... The follower was bent downward and wouldn't cycle loads! Back to my gunsmith... he straightened it!

So on... and so on... mad

Not a problem (so far) with my CZ 550, which I've owned for about 1 1/2yrs. laugh

Traded some Plumbing work for 3 A-bolts, a 7,.300 and .338 magnums, they all shoot under an inch, with the .338 doing 1/2 inch with the old 200 Ballistic tip,, I have never hunted with any of them yet, to many other favorites, but they all 3 have fast barrels and shoot very well, put the light trigger springs in and they run @ 2 lbs, will have to give one a go in the future
Well, seems like I am going to buck the trend here. I have a few customs, lots of Rems, few Rugers, and mausers.

I have owned the following Brownings:

22 Rim fire
22 Mag
270 stainless stalker
7 Mag stainless stalker

The 4 above brownings shot with the bullets touching, and I never had any problems with any of them.

My 270, brother's, dad's, and friend's A Bolt shoots the 130's in 3/8"-1/2" groups with 58.0g of R#22 with a fed 210.

The 7 Mag probably had booked a 1000 miles or better in a scabbord on a Mule or Horse...shot the 140's in 1 1/2 inches at 400 yards.

I preference is a custom barrel on a Rem 700, but must admit that all the browning Abolts of mine, brother's, and dad's shoot where you can hit the MINI clay pigeons (2 3/4") at 400 yards.

Triggers are simple, just re-spring them and get them down to 1 lb if that is what you like.

The Browning BAR's with the boss on them can be tuned to shoot a single ragged hole, have seen this on 270's, 7 Mags, and 30/06's.

I find it hard to believe the ignorance displayed here in this post. It goes to show you just how little gun people really know about guns.
Yes you do know little.
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Yes you do know little.

Forget it! Not worth my words.
Originally Posted by cole_k
Rahtreelimb, I think it is because they a Japanese made and IMO at one time they were very over priced for what they were. I never likes their high gloss finish. And they are a tad heavy for most folks.
Mine weighs in at a little over 8.5 pounds but that is light when compared to my Ruger No. 1B's that weigh in at 10.25 pounds.
I have a .270 Win A-Bolt that I bought used. The finish was in bad shape so I refinished it and glassed bedded the action and it shoots sub-MOA. With some factory ammo and my reloads. I have also had a 300 WSM in a A-Bolt Stalker. After over six months I sent it down the road. I never could get it shoot better than 1 1/2&#148; groups.

The Made In Japan thing I just don't get. Tikka's sure as hell aren't made here but nobody makes comments on that. The fact that Tikka's generaly shoot well "out of box" I guess cancels that..........but it shouldn't!!!
Originally Posted by Kemosabe
Yes you do know little.

Forget it! Not worth my words.

Only move you had
I agree, You have one of these guy's in every crowd, theirs is the only opinion that matter's..Best to ignore these insulting comments................547.
Agreed, especially with idiots.

Only move you had

I think not.

ps - To whom do you claim to be sending prayers?
To all that need it.

Prayers sent!
I bet you sit in the front row pew too.
I prefer the balcony seats
Originally Posted by rahtreelimbs
The Made In Japan thing I just don't get.

The "Made in Japan" thing doesn't hold much water for me either. Most of what we consumers use and drive comes from off-shore. Take a walk Thu Wal-Mart some day and check the "Made in" places there. Why not our rifles too?

Saying that, I've personally seen the bedding pop out of two new synthetic stocked A-Bolts and hate that mongo magazine system they went to.

For the average shooter who hunts a bit every yr, they probably work alright. I have a sporter in 22/250 that has been the most consistent rifle I've ever owned. It has lasted longer than almost every other gun in my cabinet and avoided sale because of its everyday accuracy. It fits me well and a 2x7 works perfectly on it. If it didn't shoot so well, I would have sold it yrs ago.
I have a Browning A-bolt stalker 30-06, sub MOA with Winchester factory ammo, rivaling my Tikka 30-06 accuracy. My Browning has been reliable, no issues what so ever. I also have a B92 Centennial and a BLR 7mag. All are accurate, no problems at all.
Used to have a Citori, didn't fit me well, but it worked well. Traded it for an SKB. Had a BAR 7mag some time time ago. Super accurate for an auto, and NEVER a hiccup or malfunction. Point being, gee, I must have just lucked out....
bearmgc- do you like the feel of the Browning better than the Tikka? Try as I might I cannot warm up to they way a Tikka feels. Wish I could.
[quote=Sitka deer]The model is responsible for more personally-witnessed in-field failures than ALL other models of rifles combined. Yet only a small fraction of my rifle experiences afield include A-Bolts.

Usually the trigger groups rust to a fixed mode and refuse to fire. Often they do it in just a day or two.[/quote

WTF are you saying. More mumbo jumbo from the ABolt Haters Club.
The question may have been more comfortable if it had been posed as "Why is the Browning A-Bolt Liked."

(At least then, nobody would have answered.)
Originally Posted by rahtreelimbs
Having been on here for several years now I know that the collective force here are not enamored with The Browning A-Bolt.

Why is that???

I know no specifics other than they seem to shoot well from those who own them!

I've owned a few. They have been dependable and accurate rifles. They have killed well over a hundred critters for me, so I got no complaints. grin

JM.
The only one I have any experience with is a buddies that I constantly work on ( his fault not Brownings) and load for. As Ive never carried it in the field the only real gripe I have is that the chamber is ultra tight and it doesnt always chamber my necksized loads.
my buddy has an older one in 300 win mag he has used for ,deer,elk,moose,grizzly,dall sheep,he loves it had it for years.
I don't dislike the Browning A-bort. Dislike is an active emotion and I don't have any desire to but any energy towards it.
You put dozens and dozens of posts towards it.... doesn't that count as energy?

I was told that nobody should have an opinion on something without having actually used it, and on more than one occasion.

Hmmmm... now where did I read that? smile
Originally Posted by AlabamaEd
[quote=Sitka deer]The model is responsible for more personally-witnessed in-field failures than ALL other models of rifles combined. Yet only a small fraction of my rifle experiences afield include A-Bolts.

Usually the trigger groups rust to a fixed mode and refuse to fire. Often they do it in just a day or two.[/quote

The A Bort makes the grade as a varmint rifle, IMO. The Abort 243 WSSM won't win the Wimbleton Cup., despite being favorably twisted;

The only saving grace is its 22 Hornet Micro Medallion...shoots very well. More the tube than anything else, really.

I'd not throw Art under the player hating club......

He's prolly seen more fail in the field than you've used; just a WAG on my part, but will hedge my bets....
Nope, Public Service
All I can say is enough thought they sucked enough in '08 to let it die then.......
Originally Posted by tikkanut
I'm more selective on how I spend my money....A bolts are way overpriced for me...I'd buy or reccomend a Tikka/Sako or even something from Savage in a bolt gun...Marlin in a lever gun...

Now that is funny recommending a Tikka over an Abolt and what SAko are you talking about...certainly not the 85 which sells in the 1200+ range or higher. I made the Tikka mistake one time and one time only. I have never ever had a single problem with a Browning shotgun or rifle with the exception of a B2000 which was a POS design. Ask me how many Remingtons including custom shop, Winchesters and Rugers went back to the factory or a gunsmith for work.
Originally Posted by 7 STW
Made in JAPAN!!!!!

I think they had a pretty good thing going for their sword steel, but other than that, they weren't much to write about.
i got one when the short mags came out in 270 wsm it shoots good but i dont like the stocks or the clips or u have to put it on fire to uload it but its lite and powerful package
The triggers and clips are the pits , the 60 degree bolt is a nice feature , but nobody has copied it for some reason !
Not trying to change anyones mind, but a couple of the criticisms I don't quite get.

Triggers are the first one - I run a Miroku M-bolt (Eurobolt action, released under the Miroku name for a few years) and the trigger is sweeeet. And I've had time behind some good triggers to compare it to, including a 54 action Anschutz. Maybe you guys get the lawyerproof version?

Second - that the safety locks the bolt and has to be in the fire position to unload. I don't see the problem. It's a detachable mag, why would you run the rounds through the action to unload? If I'm unloading a chambered round, is takes about a 1/5th of a second between flicking off the safety and raising the bolt handle. That's 1/5th of a second where the rifle is tightly controlled and of course pointed in a safe direction, with the finger outside the trigger guard.

That I can't unload it on safety doesn't exactly keep me up nights.

I have owned a 25-06 A bolt II synthetic stalker and an A bolt II medallion in 300 Win Mag. Both had the BOSS system which makes them even more evil. They both were so accurate I felt like I was cheating. It made me a lazy hand loader. I pretty much picked a load that was the most efficient with the highest velocity and tuned the BOSS until it put five shots into one hole @ 100 yards. So, I have nothing bad to say about them. I don't know why I sold them but I did. I will eventually inherit my fathers A bolt II synthetic stalker in .280 Rem which he has had since they first came out with the BOSS system. And that won't bother me a bit.
I've hunted a ss A-bolt for almost 20 years now. It's been dropped, submerged, and taken apart several times each, and never once has it broken. Rust...not a problem. Pot metal trigger guard...not an issue (Are you driving tent stakes with it?) Made in Japan...so is almost everything else I own...that or some other country overseas. I've taken nearly 100 whitetails with the rifle shooting corelokts, and never once did I feel the rifle not do it's part. Don't have a BOSS, so can't speak to that. The factory plastic stock is as good as any other factory synthetic...few scars from falling on rocks, but still functioning fine. Shoots MOA with factory loads. Yep, I have a hard time complaining about a rifle that's served me well for that long. But then again, I don't get caught up in the labels or measuring holes in paper...just getting the job done.

I've hunted with a stainless A Bolt 270 since about 1986 and my experience mirrors that of Rusty25. A few years ago I bought a stainless A Bolt 7mm rem mag and it looks like a repeat of what I experienced with the 270. No problems, great accuracy, total reliability.
I currently own 2 A-bolt Medallions (Japan made) and 5 BBR's (Japan made) and i'd like to see a better made better shooting rifle for the same money.They're beautifull,strong as hell,smooth as silk,and every one will shoot sub 1" groups with factory ammo.Anybody that won't own one cause it's made in Japan is doing himself a diservice.And one a side note,the constuction of these rifles saved me from big time injury when I fired a 30-06 rounf out of my 7mmRem Mag that my hunting partner and best friend had inadventently chamber that morning on the way to our stand.
Originally Posted by fellas2
I currently own 2 A-bolt Medallions (Japan made) and 5 BBR's (Japan made) and i'd like to see a better made better shooting rifle for the same money.They're beautifull,strong as hell,smooth as silk,and every one will shoot sub 1" groups with factory ammo.Anybody that won't own one cause it's made in Japan is doing himself a diservice.And one a side note,the constuction of these rifles saved me from big time injury when I fired a 30-06 rounf out of my 7mmRem Mag that my hunting partner and best friend had inadventently chamber that morning on the way to our stand.

Don't you know these guns are made of inferior steel grin A lot of steel that is used in the US is imported since our Major steel industry disappeared . I wonder if any of the experts that made that statement realize that.

Originally Posted by BWalker
Browning firearms are in general cheesy, gaudy, clubby designs.

Yeah, all those High Powers, Superposeds, and Citoris are sure cheesy.
Superposeds, were very nice looking guns, but overall I feel Brownings are cheesy looking as well. I don't like the high gloss stocks and gold triggers, having said that Remington makes some ugly rifles too, but the 700 is a famous action and a favorite of bench shooters and custom builds. I've never seen a browning action as a platform for building anything. From a looks stand point I like the more classic and classy to my eye Ruger rifles, nice clean lines and an oil finnish on a decent piece of walnut.
Comparing the looks of a Ruger over a Browning is like comparing a Steauk-umm to filet mignon,they're both beef but one came from the tenderloin and the other came from the leftovers.
Comparing the looks of a Ruger over a Browning is like comparing a Steauk-umm to filet mignon,they're both beef but one came from the tenderloin and the other came from the leftovers.

+1. I own Rugers, Brownings and a lot of others. Browning is hard to beat IMO.
$10 says fellas2 has a #3 sticker on the back window of his ride.
FYI, Remington was a co-sponsor of Earnhardt and made even more cheesy commerative firearms to cash in on his death.

JM
I dunno..I just never liked Browning because John Moses shoots them....

DOH! shocked

Hes right above me in the post line! KRAPP! cry

Hope he doesnt see this...... whistle

Ingwe
FYI, I tried to buy a Rem. 600 in .308 this weekend from a fella. cry

I shoots winchesters too. grin
Buy what you like and the hell with everyone else!!!
Originally Posted by JohnMoses
FYI, I tried to buy a Rem. 600 in .308 this weekend from a fella. cry

I shoots winchesters too. grin

I shoot alot of cheesy Remmys, and one cheesy Winchester...ohhh, the the T/C Icon Steelhead will never let me live down... frown

( Its one of my faves, for shure... grin )

Ingwe
You guys are so gay......
Blow me..

Oops there I go again...

knee jerk reaction...

grin
Ingwe
Originally Posted by ingwe
Blow me..

See your true desire is coming out. wink
Originally Posted by Tom264
Blow me..

See your true desire is coming out. wink

[Linked Image]

Ingwe
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux

Hmmm?
FYI, Remington was a co-sponsor of Earnhardt and made even more cheesy commerative firearms to cash in on his death.

JM

Maybe so, but I'm from down near Weeseeanna too and we both know Nascar and Browning Buckmark stickers go together like fried possum and sweet taters.
Not in yours or anyone elses lifetime ! Most over-rated driver in history.Made a living and a reputation getting away with what everyone else wasn't allowed to do.The mans been dead for almost a decade,people need to get over it and his two bit driver of a son as well.I just know a quality fire arm when I see it.

Not in yours or anyone elses lifetime ! Most over-rated driver in history.Made a living and a reputation getting away with what everyone else wasn't allowed to do.The mans been dead for almost a decade,people need to get over it and his two bit driver of a son as well.I just know a quality fire arm when I see it.

My point still stands based on your irrational hatred of #3...just sayin.

JM

Maybe so, but I'm from down near Weeseeanna too and we both know Nascar and Browning Buckmark stickers go together like fried possum and sweet taters.

You eat some nasty stuff blue. sick You made a guess and I just replied with a fact.

I apologize. grin

Bluedreaux,still not sure what you point is ?

My point is that this is reading like a scene from Talladega Nights. All those posts need is "It's in the Geneva Convention!" at the end.

I was referencing the stereotypical southern hillbilly who rides around with a gold triggered, super shiny Browning in the gunrack and a Nascar sticker plastered on the back window. Then you come along in defense of Brownings and wigging put about some racecar driver. "Ironic" doesn't do it justice.
Wigging out, not put, but the editing ain't workin.
I have owned both the A-Bolt and the new and improved X-Bolt rifle and must say I have liked them both. Haven proven to be very durable/dependable in my personal experience but with that being said they are alot of cpmparable choices for less $ but not ones that will appreciate in value like the Browning.
Maybe that's why I sold them both. Those friggin ugly gold triggers. I do remember painting them black because I just couldn't stomach them. I think they shot even better after I did that. smile

My point is that this is reading like a scene from Talladega Nights. All those posts need is "It's in the Geneva Convention!" at the end.

I was referencing the stereotypical southern hillbilly who rides around with a gold triggered, super shiny Browning in the gunrack and a Nascar sticker plastered on the back window. Then you come along in defense of Brownings and wigging put about some racecar driver. "Ironic" doesn't do it justice.

How was Talledega nights? Only the rednecks around here watched it. How many rednecks do you suppose shoot a remington and have #3 stickers?

Judging a rifles worthiness based on some hooplehead's truck sticker is a little junior high IMO.

I see your point though, kinda like the "Everything is bigger in Texas" you occasionally see on monster trucks, which admittedly is true in some cases.

The Davidian compound was quite large, so was LBJ.
My post wasn't in defense of the Brownings,it was merely a statement of what I owned and my experiences with them.I never mentioned anything about Nascar ot #3 until you did.I'd hardly be considered a redneck hillbilly being from Western Pa (not that there's anything wrong with it)and I sure didn't "wiggout" about Dale Earnhardt,just stating an opinion.Looks are in the eye of the beholder,and by the picture in your avatar,there's no accounting for your taste in dogs.

JM

To my knowledge Browning never had a # 3 in white letters on a 22 rifle or High Power rifle but REmington sure did and I believe Remington sponsored or still sponsors a NASCAR team. Rednecks prefer Remingtons to anything else by a very large margin.
Life is too short to hunt with Jap made Brownings.
Bolt handle has a lozenge on the end of it.
Good grief.
What's a Browning? grin
A Browning is what you put on an old muzzloader. A Remington is what your grandmother typed on, and what your dad shaved with.
Good grief.

You know I'm joking. Nothing wrong that I can see I just don't happen to like the ergos. Kinda like me wearing some UnderArmour heat gear. Never happen 'cause I'd look like 10lbs of chit in a 5lb bag and be very uncomfortable.
I actually like the fit of the A bolt. Hoping to get my 250-3000AI back from Malm soon after he heals up from his mis-hap.
Don't know what most of you guys have been smokin but I love my Browning A-Bolt .30-06 with BOSS. It is a handsome rifle and I can place a quarter over a three shot grouping at 100 yards. You like Fords...I hate em. I like GMCs. Potato..Pototo Tomato..Tomoto. So glad we aren't all alike.
JAPAN!
DENMARK!

Anyone else want to post a country name too? grin
Hamburger!
All I know is my 15 year old Abolt composit stalker in '06 just put 4 of 5 in .68" at 200 Yards. The odd one out opened the group up to 1.25". This on a 95' day in Alabama. May not be a "rifleman's rifle", but it's accuracy just gives me so much confidence.
This debate reminds me of a literature professor I had in university. He said, "I'm here to teach you the difference between good writing and bad writing; I'm not here to tell you what to like. If you want to like a poem written by an old lady about her dead cat, you go right ahead, but that won't make it a good piece of literature."
Originally Posted by John_G
This debate reminds me of a literature professor I had in university. He said, "I'm here to teach you the difference between good writing and bad writing; I'm not here to tell you what to like. If you want to like a poem written by an old lady about her dead cat, you go right ahead, but that won't make it a good piece of literature."

Man, did I hate every lit class I took. What a crock. Pride and Prejudice has to be the worst piece of writing I've ever had to skim.

Since we all live for a while and then die. I think good must be dictated by the individual. If someone thinks it's a good gun then it is. It made one person happy.

Tom
Originally Posted by PaulNZ
DENMARK!

Anyone else want to post a country name too? grin

Why you gotta use Denmark? smile
No reason whatsoever smile - first country that occurred to me.
Originally Posted by HawkI

The A Bort makes the grade as a varmint rifle, IMO. The Abort 243 WSSM won't win the Wimbleton Cup., despite being favorably twisted;

The only saving grace is its 22 Hornet Micro Medallion...shoots very well. More the tube than anything else, really.

He's prolly seen more fail in the field than you've used; just a WAG on my part, but will hedge my bets....

I'd venture to say that he hasn't seen any fail in the field and the only thing you've seen fail in the field is your xxxxx. A classic example of being "turdlike" and a sample of one.

Need to add that any of my cheesey, clubby and clunky Abolts will out shoot any of your cheesey, clubby and clunky Kimingtons at any range.
If there's not a proverb about spending your time listening to other people's opinions versus figuring it out yourself, there should be one!!

My 30+ year-old A-bolt stalker in .300 WM is still puttin' them in under an inch. No failures from -20 degrees to 100 degrees.

My Ti A-bolt in 7mm WSM puts 160gr Accubonds in .75" at nearly 3000 fps. It's a nice gun to carry when it ain't flat.

Earlier this year I bought a double-abomination - Stainless A-bolt in .223 WSSM. It's a real PITA - I'm getting so many sub-half-inch groups (62gr Barnes TSX @ 3550 - 3600 fps) it makes 1" groups in my other rifles look silly.

I've only owned 3 Brownings. Maybe I just got lucky 3 times in a row...??? Only a few other rifles I have match them and NONE beat them. YMMV
Originally Posted by wyliec
My 30+ year-old A-bolt stalker

Maybe I just got lucky

You must be lucky, you owned one before they were available... grin
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT

Maybe I just got lucky

I thought I bought it around 1980 - they had just been released. I don't have the receipt handy. Maybe it's only 25-years old....in any case I know it was a long time ago and it's a purchase I've never regretted.
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT

Maybe I just got lucky

I thought I bought it around 1980 - they had just been released. I don't have the receipt handy. Maybe it's only 25-years old....in any case I know it was a long time ago and it's a purchase I've never regretted.

Happens to alot of us, we lose track of time.

The first A-Bolt Stalker (syn stock) was offered in '89 IIRC. Other than maybe the Weatherby Fibermark, it was the first factory synthetic stocked rifle offered to the masses.

MtnHtr

I'm pretty sure the a-bolt stainless stalker was the first commercially available stainless rifle in 1986.
I'm just glad I didn't get that Buck Head logo tattoo on my butt.
Originally Posted by Tejano
I'm just glad I didn't get that Buck Head logo tattoo on my butt.

Where did you get it then?
Originally Posted by Horseman
I'm pretty sure the a-bolt stainless stalker was the first commercially available stainless rifle in 1986.

It was offered as the first commercially available SS rifle in 1990 no doubt. I won $1800 worth of Brownings in 1990 for snapping a picture in 1989:

[Linked Image]

One of the rifles I won:

[Linked Image]

MtnHtr

Was the composite stalker (not stainless) introduced at the same time??
Was the composite stalker (not stainless) introduced at the same time??

No, the first composite stalker (syn stock-matte blue) was introduced in 89, then in 90 Browning offered the same rifle in SS, dubbing it the SS stalker. I ran tang safety Rugers prior to these and the lighter weight, matte finishes and scratch resistant syn stocks were a welcome change.

I also had a post Win 70 featherweight in 06 at the time, but these early synthetic stocked rifles won me over. I was used to scratched up wood stocks and the Tru oil routine.

They were especially nice if you pack hunted back then:

[Linked Image]

Same hunt and rifle, 7RM SS Stalker
[Linked Image]

MtnHtr

This happens with anything which becomes too popular: eventually you become a victim of your own success.

I don't own an A-bolt, so I don't have a dog in this fight... but some of you need to put a little thought into what your saying, because it's pretty illogical, as well as ignorant of mass market and industrial forces.

Example: Many people in this thread have claimed they "see buck mark emblems everywhere" or that "around here, browning is the norm" and statements to that effect. If this is true, Then it follows logically that a large percentage of failures they see will be with Brownings, simply by virtue that is the rifle most often used. Using this as evidence against the Brownings design is flawed logic, because the statistics are so skewed: there isn't a substantial sample of other brands to compare it against.

This is the same problem Glocks have: they are so ubiquitous that simple percentages dictate they will have more malfunctions - there are machines after all, and all machines malfunction eventually.

In reality it is most likely the case that the A-bolt is not significantly better or worse than any other name brand hunting rifle in its class, just as a Glock is not significantly better or worse than any other pistol its class.

Many of us like to pretend that out pet brands are somehow better than the others. This is not usually true, unless comparing apples to oranges outside of like categories (IE Huglu to a Fausti double gun); It's also a little juvenile.

I'm probably not going to make many friends here with the tone of my first post. Even so, this is how I see it. A gun is a tool; some are artfully crafted tools, and others are utilitarian. Neither approach to manufacture is a strength or weakness of itself. Any claims for or against quality should be supported empirically, and any comparisons made between like kinds; otherwise we speak idly and without point.
I'm glad you joined up and shared that with the ignorant masses that make up the board.

I guess the next lecture will be how neat an invention the clock radio is. wink

Welcome to the fire. grin

JM
can't speak for others, and it irritates me to no end, cause Browning and Savage have been the best about offering calibers in LH.

long before I knew this place existed, I handled I don't know how many Brownings and Savages thinking about buying another lh rifle.

came closest on getting the Savage, but never did, I've ended up with all Rem's in lh style (or Rem copies 1 NULA in the stable)

have pards that love their Brownings but neither one that I know is what I'd consider a rifleman. they've had good service with them though and have killed some game with them.

maybe it's cause I was so use to Rems, at 18 went out and bought my very first lh'er in 7mag and it was my only scoped bolt action for quite a few years. Perhaps I just got used to it, but it's always been a good shooter.

Wanted to support companies that catered to southpaws, but just never could get the feel to buy either brand.

weird coincidence that I found this place and around here it does seem the general consensus is Browning and Savage are looked at askew by quite a few folks.

I still say though, the guy that gets his game every year, don't really care about what a bunch of internet yahoos think about his gear selection, it works for him and that's all it has to do to make him happy.

I just never could warm up to either brand enough to part with the cash and that was a spell before I ever saw this place.
Thanks for the clarification on the intro of the Stainless Stalker MtnHtr.
Originally Posted by Jimbo_Kern
This happens with anything which becomes too popular: eventually you become a victim of your own success.

I don't own an A-bolt, so I don't have a dog in this fight... but some of you need to put a little thought into what your saying, because it's pretty illogical, as well as ignorant of mass market and industrial forces.

Example: Many people in this thread have claimed they "see buck mark emblems everywhere" or that "around here, browning is the norm" and statements to that effect. If this is true, Then it follows logically that a large percentage of failures they see will be with Brownings, simply by virtue that is the rifle most often used. Using this as evidence against the Brownings design is flawed logic, because the statistics are so skewed: there isn't a substantial sample of other brands to compare it against.

This is the same problem Glocks have: they are so ubiquitous that simple percentages dictate they will have more malfunctions - there are machines after all, and all machines malfunction eventually.

In reality it is most likely the case that the A-bolt is not significantly better or worse than any other name brand hunting rifle in its class, just as a Glock is not significantly better or worse than any other pistol its class.

Many of us like to pretend that out pet brands are somehow better than the others. This is not usually true, unless comparing apples to oranges outside of like categories (IE Huglu to a Fausti double gun); It's also a little juvenile.

I'm probably not going to make many friends here with the tone of my first post. Even so, this is how I see it. A gun is a tool; some are artfully crafted tools, and others are utilitarian. Neither approach to manufacture is a strength or weakness of itself. Any claims for or against quality should be supported empirically, and any comparisons made between like kinds; otherwise we speak idly and without point.

Great post. Every rifle has its pros and cons, and everyone has different needs or requirements. I will add that although I never suffered any serious failures Abolts do have some "lackluster qualities" that may matter to some. I did sell mine off after a few years and now run custom Rems and Winnies:

The actions are difficult to rebarrel, partially glued in I'm told.

Pot metal shroud (hollow?), trigger and bottom metal. Other makers use pot metal or die cast parts too but the A Bolt's do seem weaker. But they seem to hold up for the majority.

The CM barrels have bores that are rust prone. I had two Composite stalkers that formed rust in the bores just a few hours after a storm while drying out or before getting back to camp.

That said, pick up a few of Boone & Crockett's past magazines and you will see plenty of animals taken using A-Bolts in the photo section.

Go to Utah and you will see a ton of A-Bolts in use.

MtnHtr
You can't say something sucks unless you compare it to something equally sucky, in which case it appears to not suck at all.

Outstanding logic, when compared to other posts of similar quality.
They can be hell to rebarrel.

The reason for this is some scope mounting bracket screws were long and would go down and flatten the barrel threads.

JM
JM...if you wouldnt shoot Brownings..you wouldnt have to rebarrel them... whistle

wink
Ingwe
ingwe, if we don't shoot brownings, how we gonna have accurate rifles?

(says the guy with the buckmark tattoo. and yes, go ahead and make fun. smile
Originally Posted by mjbgalt
(says the guy with the buckmark tattoo.)

No way...
laffin'

(says the guy with the buckmark tattoo.)

shocked
They can be hell to rebarrel.

The reason for this is some scope mounting bracket screws were long and would go down and flatten the barrel threads.

JM

Actually alot of bolt actions have that same trait where the barrel threads can be damaged by an overly long base screw. And alot of bolt actions use the same front bases, sort of a standard front base.

Christensen Arms used to offer a customized A-Bolt at one time, don't know if they still do. I wonder if it had something to do with being based outta Utah? blush

MtnHtr

MJ,

You may be eligible to win a free rifle from browing as long as it's not on your azz or penis.

(Not that it would be a bad thing, it just has to be where they can publish pics of it in order to qualify) grin
i know, i saw that on their website.

i got a tattoo for several reasons. one, my wife and i both got a tattoo for our first wedding anniversary as a fun/crazy thing to do. two, i found something that signified my love for the outdoors and hunting/shooting, a deer.

and their logo looked damn cool with the stars and stripes waving through the buckmark outline. so i had them put it on the inside of my forearm.

i get a lot of compliments on it, wink maybe i should send it in.
oh, lord. before the PM's come rolling in and i get to be the next JeffO, maybe i should post a pic for review?
trying...hang on
We must see. Hell, you could win some guns so why not send it in.

JM
and their logo looked damn cool with the stars and stripes waving through the buckmark outline. so i had them put it on the inside of my forearm.

This thread has the potential to go epic.
ohhh no you don't.
You guys are off topic.

A-Bolts actually had a stellar reputation until John Moses started shooting them... wink
Obviously not real, or he would post them (both). laugh
post what? my tattoo?
Well yaaah!
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Obviously not real, or he would post them (both). laugh

Admit it. You're just trying to get him to post a pic of his wife's tattoo.
eh hers is on the small of her back and it's a little Tinkerbell-lookin thing. we're divorced now anyway. maybe it was the buckmark...lol
if hers was anywhere sexy i'd post it lol
Well duh!

If it looks as good as this one, we'll let you slide...

[Linked Image]
looks better than that one, when in focus and when not swollen and red. wink

and yes i'm talkin about the tat, nothing else wink

Dang if you get that upset over a little sticker on someones truck I would hate to see what you had to say about the Browning Buckmark tattoo on my arm!

coyoteman23
alright! another one!
coyote- let's see yours, i posted mine.
Just for the record, I am a Browning nut...but not an A-Bolt fan. Not a hater, just not a fan.
someday, I'll read this thread.

really, maybe.

I live 10 miles from the mother ship. And I've been on the inside too.

Love the shotguns, and the single-shots. The A-bolts? I've had issues.

maybe tomorrow I'll read it.
Originally Posted by HawkI

I'd venture to say that he hasn't seen any fail in the field and the only thing you've seen fail in the field is your xxxxx. A classic example of being "turdlike" and a sample of one.

Need to add that any of my cheesey, clubby and clunky Abolts will out shoot any of your cheesey, clubby and clunky Kimingtons at any range.

I absolutely support your right to be flat-out wrong.

Have seen multiple A-Bort trigger groups rust to the point of freezing up and refusing to fire within a week in rough weather near saltwater. I have a stainless stalker in 375H&H and have had it for most of the time since about '95 or so. I even shot a Kodiak bear with it in the spring of '96. It was not my first. It was my last A-Bolt. I have previously written about the issues with that and other A-Bolts. I have a number of other Browning firearms and have no issues with them. I suspect John Browning would flip in his grave if he knew that POS design was ever built.

Being able to shoot little bitty groups is only part of the picture. I tell folks coming to hunt near AK saltwater to bring something else. Perhaps one of the posters here that has had a failure while hunting with me will speak up about their experiences...

I suspect I have more than several rifles of the 700 flavor that will easily eclipse your best A-Bort. While they shoot reasonably well I have yet to see an A-Bolt really sing...
art
Maybe the temps just don't get cold enough here to experience that. I've traveled back and forth to islands in the Mississippi River in boats with an uncased rifle where we had to break ice to get to the shore. I've hunted where rain turned into sleet, then snow and never had an issue.

I do use gun grease in my trigger group and firing pin, so maybe that has prevented it.

I've got an A-bolt and an X-Bolt that will shoot .600's and do it with a variety of ammo.

JM
mine shot a couple groups at 100 yards than were under .300"

so i can't complain.
For the record, and to come to the side of berated JM, A-bolts we have sold in the shop have offered up excellent accuracy, and absolutely minimal issues....just what we want for creating happy customers..

As I stated earlier in the thread though, I personally dont shoot one just because JM does .... wink

grin
Ingwe
FYI, I still mainly shoot a BLR model 81 in .308 although that X-Bolt will get some use this year as well. wink

I still haven't quite made my mind up about that one. The stock and balance is a definite improvement over the A-Bolt, as well as the trigger.

It shoots like a champ, but I just don't think the action is as sturdy as the A-Bolt's or other rifle brands. sleep

I see cost cutting measures in certain areas of the rifle and don't like that very much, but I can't complain how it performs. However, there are some things I would change.

Neither are the equal of the older Browning FN Highpower but neither are any of today's factory rifles with the exception of Cooper IMO.

JM

Does this mean Podunk needs a Big Green tat?? Ever damn bodies got the Buck tat.....
Yep..and remember, if you don't post a pic, it didnt happen! grin

ingwe
FYI, I still mainly shoot a BLR model 81 in .308 although that X-Bolt will get some use this year as well. wink

I still haven't quite made my mind up about that one. The stock and balance is a definite improvement over the A-Bolt, as well as the trigger.

It shoots like a champ, but I just don't think the action is as sturdy as the A-Bolt's or other rifle brands. sleep

I see cost cutting measures in certain areas of the rifle and don't like that very much, but I can't complain how it performs. However, there are some things I would change.

Neither are the equal of the older Browning FN Highpower but neither are any of today's factory rifles with the exception of Cooper IMO.

JM

JM, what configuration is your X-Bolt. I've been pleased with my two. The action is robust enough for it's intended use and I think the lightweight components make this my favorite fitting gun. They shoulder like a toy and shoot like target rifles. What's not to like? I've got a lot of guns that cost a lot more and are more collectable but the X-Bolts bring home the bacon. They've both definately outshot my Sakos hands down.
Originally Posted by Horseman

JM

JM, what configuration is your X-Bolt. I've been pleased with my two. The action is robust enough for it's intended use and I think the lightweight components make this my favorite fitting gun. They shoulder like a toy and shoot like target rifles. What's not to like? I've got a lot of guns that cost a lot more and are more collectable but the X-Bolts bring home the bacon. They've both definately outshot my Sakos hands down.

I have a new SS Xbolt in 7mm-08 , I have to say it seems to be pretty well put together. The crown is beautiful on this rifle and the barrelled action seems to have some sort of goldish tint coating on it that looks like trinyte even though they don"t advertize it> The trigger is exceptional.
I aint skeered. Now to design one.... what image best captures the essensce of Big Green? I know thats asking for it. First manure pic is an azzhole.
What is Cerebrus's logo?
??? Podunks lost????
Pod, next ya be rappin', mon !

Paul.
Aw hail, this is going south....... WTF is Cerebrus? Paul I havent the rhythm to rap... tried after a few too many, didnt work.

MJ,

You may be eligible to win a free rifle from browing as long as it's not on your azz or penis.

(Not that it would be a bad thing, it just has to be where they can publish pics of it in order to qualify) grin

LMFAO
The three that I have owned all shot very well. However, they just didn't have the feel of quality that one expects from a Belgian Browning.
To build a rifle like the High Power today would cost the average joe 2K or more. Not many avg. joe's are gonna drop that on a rifle.

They would price themselves out of the market. I wish they would bring it back in a limited run, but it still wouldn't be the same I bet.

My X-Bolt has been a reliable, accurate rifle. I wish they would have put a larger bolt handle and a metal single stack, centerfeed magazine in them, even if I had to sacrifice 1 round of capacity.

The composite rotary mag is a great idea. It holds more rounds and feeds from the center eliminating feeding issues, but I can't get used to the new materials being used on rifles these days.

I can't bitch, it works fine, I'm just old fashioned and a few more ounces of weight has never been a concern of mine when buying a rifle. I look for balance and fit first and the X-Bolt has that.

JM
mine shot a couple groups at 100 yards than were under .300"

so i can't complain.

"A couple groups under .300" is a long way from really singing. My 375 A-Bolt will often do better than that and it is not close to my best 700s. It is perfectly adequate for a hunting rifle though.
art
Originally Posted by podunkkennels
Aw hail, this is going south....... WTF is Cerebrus?

Parent company to the Freedom Group...parent holding company of Remington...

You're welcome.... grin

Ingwe
I knew bout the Freedom Group, killed me to see that they own both Remington and Barnes..... sheesh.. Whats their logo?
Screw that, not getting gay swishy marks, especially not ones that represent a company owned by some Finkelstein something or other.
I believe this is it.

[Linked Image]

Oh lord, I already posted one tat pic in Pats thread, I believe the two would be contradictory....
I would get one if I were you. It's better than the redneck buckmark...
Hmmmmm if held at gunpoint......
You couldn't spend more and get less than the A/X-borts.

They is,what they is...none of which is flattering.......

Faux Larry. .... .....
Make a "stand",go getcha a few and get back to me..........
No love for the A-bolt here. You know what I shoot. Or do you?
My hands are full,trying to keep track of my stuff.

Though it's not a bad "problem" to have............
Faux Larry. .... .....

I'm thinking Steelhead.

Podunk, go get your Remington tattoo.
How's them Salvages doing you?.............(grin)
Faux Larry. .... .....

I'm thinking Steelhead.

I dont think so, he missed an easy shot at my Icon..... wink

Ingwe
Dont insult Steelies intelligence, hes smarter than this. If youre gonna imitate Larry at least give it a good run.
He's smart. He won't give himself away like that. wink

JM
Maybe so JM. Real Larry wouldve tiraded me after the faux Larry comment for sure. Will we ever really know..... ( dot dot dot irony intended)
Often nice to let folks tirade themseves,with slack on the rope.

Though a non-FN Browning boltgun,needn't much in the way of slack.................
Way to say absolutely nothing but sound Stickish.
IntimidatedOften,

What are you shooting?
Which hour?...........
What do you favor these days? I've been on a X-Bolt kick the last couple of years and have semi-retired the rest of the collection. Just wondering what others like better.

ps. not trolling to argue with whatever you like better. Just curious.

He's a Savage kinda guy..

*Grin*
I'd go Salvage over an A/X-Bort...if that tells you anything...........
It tells me there's no accounting for taste.
Schitt isn't a viable flavor and I'd concede I've no interest in same.............
There is a lot to like about the A-Bolt, but there is also a lot to dislike:
The trigger is an bortion of the highest order. See Rube Goldberg:
A Rube Goldberg machine is a deliberately over-engineered machine that performs a very simple task in a very complex fashion, usually including a chain reaction. The expression is named after American cartoonist and inventor Rube Goldberg.

The woold stocks are usually a good piece of wood, untill they put the godawful finish on it that is so shiny that it could make a vole flinch. (they are blind)

The high-polish on the metal - same story.

I like the 60-degree bolt throw, but the trigger guards are a bit prone to breakage, reportedly.

They have a drop magazine floor plate AND a detachable box magazine! See Rube Goldberg reference above.

I have seen them shoot well on occasion.

Currently I have been struggling to get a buddies 2 x-bolts to shoot well, so I can looseley associate my general Browning malaise with the a-bolt and x-bolts.

I have also witnessed rust issues others have mentioned.

I'd take one, for a bargain, but generally my money is better spent elsewhere.

Better work on your Sales Pitch.............(grin)
I wish I would have known some folks didn't like these rifles, I never would have bought them.

laffin'
Sell em or give em away.

If you can.
Anything/everything,that doesn't get used...can be mused as being "good".

Actual use,much skews those findings and reliably..........
still laffin'
Don't feel like The Lone Ranger..............
OK Tonto
Beware the Best Indian,with the Best Arrows.

Hint................
If you close your eyes you can imagine an A-bort......

I shoot indians with arrows.

from a distance...with Brownings
You heap big DREAM and speak with forked tongue...........
Steely,

I'll send you one.

You will have to provide the [bleep] stock though.
Originally Posted by ImitatedOften
You heap big DREAM and speak with forked tongue...........

Not sure what that means but thank you.
The number of things that reliably escape you,surely borders upon "impressive"..............
Schitt isn't a viable flavor and I'd concede I've no interest in same.............

That's ironic, because that's about all that has come out of your mouth.

My dick is smarter than you.

laffin'
Didn't mean to horn you up,though I can't say I'm surprised.

Luckily...you still have your Dreams...........
Steelhead,

Haven't you had enough fun yet?
I'm on my lunch hour, I dont have time for beer and popcorn...could you two guys wrap this up????

grin
Ingwe

My dick is smarter than you.

laffin'

-- and no doubt smarter than its owner. wink
Sure.

Sugartits only shoots her mouth and quantifies it with nothing,which happens to be the depth of her knowledge base and "experience".

So seldom do someone illuminate a trail so shoddy,so brightly............

You should avoid anything that involves thinking.
I'm on my lunch hour, I dont have time for beer and popcorn...could you two guys wrap this up????

grin
Ingwe

What's for lunch? Dink steaks? wink
You are nothing if not succinct....

gotta go!

Ingwe
Originally Posted by Kentucky_Windage

grin
Ingwe

What's for lunch? Dink steaks? wink

You'll smoke a turd in hell for that....

( but you cant believe how good they are with a little mesquite marinade... laugh )

Ingwe
You should avoid playing with sticks.
You should avoid anything that involves thinking.

Quick review of prior posts will prove he has done EXACTLY that.
Don't you have a trigger to unfreeze o' great hunter?

Me thinks your brain could use a thawing out as well. grin

Have a good evening Shirley.

If he didn't shoot Brownings, he wouldn't have to wait for the trigger to unfreeze. wink
Can't you read. He doesn't shoot A-Bolt's.

I see the contact has popped out of your 3rd eye again. wink
I knew that would get a rise out of you... like a trout rising to a perfectly cast fly. wink
And after I paid you a compliment on the judging bear post... grin
A-Borts and your handle are probably causing the bones of the real JMB to rattle in their crypt... Betting I know which side of the debate he would come down on...
art
And after I paid you a compliment on the judging bear post... grin

Betting it meant a lot from a bear judge of your experience and caliber...
The Abort would get a WTF from good Mormon laugh
I'm thinking this is a group of Lesbians who's menstrual cycles coincide.

You gals swab the bore with some cotton and take 2 midol.

thank me later.
Cracks me up,how those that shoot the least,whine the most.

Reality is just soooooooooo funny!............
You'll smoke a turd in hell for that....

( but you cant believe how good they are with a little mesquite marinade... laugh )

Ingwe

Classic campfire fare this ... and worth a good chuckle grin.
SteelHead your video wont play for me though Im sure its some form of rifle torture. Someone with better connection please elaborate as to the specific form of torture.
Pop goes the Weasel..............
"pop" as in explosion or savage beating? No pun intended..
Good to see rational logic here knowing that Nip Aborts are junk made for the gay community.
An Explosive Beating...(the best kind)............
They make Tikka look viable and THAT is rather something............
Hate when that happens... ...... .. ....... ...... ..
I see the unemployed have been in stick's tree house practicing the secret handshake.

Listening to Cher and Maroon 5 no doubt.

Irritatedovery,

I shot about 35,000 rounds a year when I shot Western 3 Gun, so once again you are talking out of your bung hole about something you know nothing about.

Ol' Jorge has you pegged.
Your story,tell it however it most soothes your realities.

Just keep typin',as the hilarity is off the chart!.............

Let me guess your reality Mr. stickums,

Divorced, no kids, at least none that will talk to you, marginally employed if at all.

All you got is trying to be the class clown...A permanent 14 yr. old.

Couldn't happen to a better chap.

WOW! You are more stupid than I'd thought and bid that end of the spectrum heavily.

At least you've a vivid imagination to fuel your dreamss.............

Would love to stay up and chat but us adults have a big day with the family tomorrow.

I'm sure it won't be as fun as drinking beer and burning fire ants with your magnifying glass.

Laffin'. Big Stick huh?

You got nothing.

Later zero. wink
I should hang some pics of my kids doing,what your's dream of.

But it isn't your kids fault,they gotta suffer the hands of fate...(at least for a while)..............

I didn't know goblins could reproduce? Learn something every day!

Burn some ants for me tomorrow...
The list of things you don't know,would make The Guinness Book.............
Originally Posted by Triggernosis
Originally Posted by Grasshopper
Rich,

For the benefit of the newer folks, Big Stick was a rather charismatic fellow who hung out here for a few years until he got bored with us. He developed a fairly large following in a fairly short time. ..........

Grasshopper,
Thanks for sharing your insight on this issue. Are you SURE that this "Big Stick" isn't still posting here on occasion under another alias? I think he's still around....unfortunately.

Seems he morphed into "Boxer", his newest handle. Sounds like the same old Larry, maybe a bit more incoherent and with less good info than from times past. The guy is intelligent, is a great photographer and seems to know a good bit about rifles and long range turrets.

He did have an effect on the Fire culture, pushing the Kimber Montana rifle (I think coining the term "Montucky"), WSM (Whizzum may also be his term) calibers, especially the 7 "Whizzum", Leupold scopes (particularly fixed power 6X) with turrets, McM stocks with swirly paint, Talley L.W. scope mounts, etc.

Currently, he seems more involved with baiting posters into pizzing tournaments, the more pizzed he can get them, the more sarcastic and personally insulting he becomes. To me he appears angry and vindictive, prowling the Fire, continually looking for a fight. At least in the past, he was known to be very helpful, at times, with at length explanations of technical issues that made good sense. I don't see that anymore.

Reportedly, he got in trouble with the Fire mgt., pizzing on certain sponsors' shoes. He is good for hits on the Forum and I guess he can do his thing as long as he picks his pizzing partners more carefully, excluing revenue positive sponsors, of course. Hits are good for advertising sales, pizzed off sponsors, not so good for business. So, I guess Big Stick (Boxer)et.al., is just a cog in a greater economic wheel. As long as the net effect is deemed revenue positive, OK. But, if not, back under the bus he goes.

IMHO,

DF
© 24hourcampfire