Home
You define it. Can be old, new, syn...whatever. Prettiest is subjective. smile Mine is this 1914 Savage 1899 Deluxe TD in 250-3000. This rifle just pukes class and quality. If it is being sold, you know I am dead.

What is yours?

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Where's Terry when you need him? shocked
Here's mine.

[Linked Image]
It was all I could do to not throw up the Bumblebee, but I guess that would fall under favorite. Don't own any pretty rifles but this is one svelte, sexy sumbitch.

Mannlicher-Schonauer 6.5x54MS

[Linked Image]
SH,

A very good friend of mine has one of those MS. It has the slickest bolt I have ever cycled on a rifle. That one is wow..
Hope poster JBMI see this and posts his Serengeti stocked MRC. One fine looking rifle with excellent lines.
Call this one my classic.30-06 4 power loopy.Very reliable. [Linked Image]
cool

[Linked Image]
Sorry about the boat clutering up the pic!
[Linked Image]
These two.........Savage 99EG in 300 Savage and a Winchester M70 in 30-06 both circa 1951. The M70 is my fathers but will be mine someday!!!

Not my first picks to hunt with but are the best lookin' out of the bunch!!!

Great thread for cabin fever!!!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Here is one of my favorites a Winchester high wall by the late Floyd Butler. Its a 219 Improved Zipper now. Someone opened it up from the R2 Lovell that Butler chambered.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
wow ! where to start ?

they all are in one way or another.....

Not my favorite, but close:

[Linked Image]

257 wby.
cant make up my mind on wich pic to put up of it, so ya get 2 of 'em grin

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Mostly hunters at my place rather than shooters, but I'm happy with these.

1959 Savage 99F in 308 with some beautiful case coloring added at some later time:

[Linked Image]

Bottom one here is a 1906 Savage 1899B in 303, receiver is gray but the wood is beautiful.

[Linked Image]

First year Savage 1899B, "restored" into a 250-3000 with pad and scope. Actually has special order wood, checkering and engraving by Tue. The wood is prettier than shown here.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Nice rifles, here wink
These 2 aren't TOO bad!
1970 Marlin Presentation Set "Brace of One Thousand".
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

If it shoots like this it's pretty, I don't care what it looks like. wink
Here are a few I like to shoot. The rifles are custom made by Dennis Olson in Plains, Montana.
They are: 6mm Remington, 220 Swift, .223 Remington,
and a .222 Remington.

These were made to shoot prairie dogs, and that is where I had them photographed.
This was a great place to shoot, but now that the plague has killed them all off,
I have to go with Mule Deer somewhere else to shoot.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The shotgun is a Westley Richards 10 gauge with 32 inch barrels.
It is an old Damascus with Stanton sidelocks. At 12 pounds, it
is a bit much to carry all day.

[Linked Image]

Here are 2 Colt's, both in 38-40, both with custom made buffalo
bone grips. One is a first generation with a rare barrel length
of 7 1/2 inches.

[Linked Image]

This colt is another first generation with custom made 1 piece
rosewood grips in 45 Colt.

[Linked Image]

Here are a few:

Favorite Winchester Hi Wall
[Linked Image]

Favorite Savage 1899
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Favorite Savage 110
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Favorite Savage 99 (G)
[img]http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj304/romac2/IMG_1052.jpg[/img]

Favorite Garand (The one on the bottom)
[img]http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj304/romac2/Milsurp/IMG_0868.jpg[/img]

Originally Posted by Savage_99
Here is one of my favorites a Winchester high wall by the late Floyd Butler. Its a 219 Improved Zipper now. Someone opened it up from the R2 Lovell that Butler chambered.

[Linked Image]

Im not sure why it struck me so strongly but this photo makes me long for summer. It just looks so warm.
I like synthetic and stainless! My two:

257 Roberts Kimber Montana
[Linked Image]

308 Sako 85 Finnlight
[Linked Image]

some real beauties here, I'm not worthy.

beauty is in the eye of the beholder right?

here's the best I can do right now.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
That is a beutiful Winchester 88! Very Very nice.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

one is a 375 H&H
one is a .338-06
You're from Minnesota, Grogel. Opening the refrigerator door makes you long for summer!
[Linked Image] I let her go just the other day. So long Sako.
I don't have a pic to post here, but for all the money I've spent on a couple of my rifles...

I've got a Marlin 336, 30.30 with a Leupold FX-II 6x33 on a Leupold one-piece base, and leather cobra sling that's, to my eye, still the coolest looking of the lot. Go figure, eh?

smile

Gotta say, there's some might fine shootin' irons showing on this thread. Nothing like a fine rifle, is there!

I am kinda proud of this puppy...

[Linked Image]

thanks ROMAC, you got some crazy cool stuff posted.

how do you come across a set of stocks like that for a 99? (the blonde?)

Grogel, I feel your pain.
This is Bullard Deluxe repeater with pistol grip checkered 3x wood and scheutzen buttplate:
[Linked Image]
Found one prettier than the Bullard. This is a Ross Scotch Deerstalker in .280 Ross that has been refined by Westley Richards. It is in nearly new condition. It is the finest Scotch Deerstalker extant:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[img]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y26/steve004/Ross/WestleyRichardsRoss009.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y26/steve004/Ross/WestleyRichardsRoss012.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y26/steve004/Ross/WestleyRichardsRoss014.jpg[/img]
Man! You guys are embarrassing me!!
This one is my all time fav.. A slightly remodeled Rem 700 in .270. I need to have it checkered one day.
[Linked Image]

This SAKO .358 is another I like. Pretty? I dunno. Effective? Damned right! It's going elking tomorrow, cause that's it's job.
[Linked Image]
Here's a few of them, definitely not all of them.

99RS, 1920, 99T and a 99R, all in 300 Sav.

[Linked Image]

Mr. RAS;
Thank you for the interesting thread and thanks to all who have responded.

This is my candidate, an old No. 1 that I made up a different fore end for and added a Gentry barrel band and a Moyers trigger as well.
[Linked Image]
Even though it's a bit heavy, sometimes it goes for walks with me and has put bullets into a couple of my biggest mule deer.

Thanks again to all who have responded.

Regards,
Dwayne
[Linked Image]
Not mine,

But my wife and I gave this to my father-in-law for Christmas this year. He helped us out a bunch.

Tip Burns custom 25-06, claro walnut stock, Remington 700 long action, Kreiger barrel.

[Linked Image]
By coachsells, shot with COOLPIX S4 at 2009-01-30
[Linked Image]
By coachsells, shot with COOLPIX S4 at 2009-01-30

My wife will kick my a*s if she knows I took pic's on the bed with out laying a towel or somthing down. Oh well!

Ed
[Linked Image]

1904 Winchester in .32WS. Belonged to my great Uncle Hial.
[Linked Image]
Blaser R93, .222 Rem U.I.T. bbl. + Swarovski 6-24x50 AO

[Linked Image]
Sauer 202, bbls. in 7x64 & .30-06 + Swarovski 1,5-6x42 in EAW swingout mount

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
FN-Browning O/U in 9,3x74R + Swarovski 1,25-4x24 in S�hler claw mounts
M70 Classic Custom Shop in .264WM.. Bought from 'Predator' here and he also gets credit for the pix.. NIB, never fired, it's just too pretty to use.. laugh I've got a few otherM70s that are close to this, but IMHO this is tops..

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
This rifle is not in the same league as the rifles posted, but this is the prettiest rifle I own. It's a Winchester Model 70 in 300 WSM. It has been bloody too.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Here is one of mine. It's a Safari Arms M98 in .338-06

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Terry

[Linked Image]

This isn't really a typical hunting rifle but I have shot a few deer with it. I used it for about 10 years in the schuetzen matches but havn't shot it much lately. Rifle was built by AO Zischang in the 1890's and has not been messed with other than scope blocks and that was done in the 1920's. Caliber is 32-40 and will still put 5 shots in the .200's at 100 yards.
308 WIN
[Linked Image]
270 WIN
[Linked Image]
Here's mine:

[Linked Image]

Waiting on 1 more from Patriot Arms and a tactical rifle from GAP.
Originally Posted by 65X54
[Linked Image]

This isn't really a typical hunting rifle but I have shot a few deer with it. I used it for about 10 years in the schuetzen matches but havn't shot it much lately. Rifle was built by AO Zischang in the 1890's and has not been messed with other than scope blocks and that was done in the 1920's. Caliber is 32-40 and will still put 5 shots in the .200's at 100 yards.

65X54,

Its so good to see that magnificent rifle. Other rifles posted here are outstanding as well. What a great thread!

While I am a schuetzen rifle enthusiast I am not that familar with the work of Zischang. What action is that rifle built on?

I have not shot in schuetzen matches for a while now but I have scheuetzen rifles by Butler (high wall), Aydt and a heavy barreled 38-55 Hepburn 'sporter' that I have used also.

System Aydt 8.15-46R

[Linked Image]
I guess this one is my "prettiest", although the pic isn't the best. It's chambered for the 444 Marlin.

[Linked Image]
Thanks 99! Sounds like you have some nice single shots. I used to use my 45-70 Hepburn quite a bit hunting whitetails around here. The stock design on it doesn't lend it's self to comfortable recoil management though.
Zischang imigrated here from germany. He worked for the Sharps Rifle company for a while but decided that their work wasn't quite up to his standards. He did like the Borchardt action quite well and this is what he used for his target rifles mostly. In his words though, he needed to clean them up a bit to make them servicable.
BTW, I do have the bullet starter and bullet mold that was originally furnished with this rifle also.
Savage99, that's a really nice Aydt. Normally the sights are missing, good to see them on the rifle. Have you shot it any?
I have shot a few of them and they really hold nice....
I am reminded of a story from a coworker, WWII vet, that was motorcycle MP through Europe. He was among the last to come home from Germany. He talked about starving Germans trading beautiful handcarved shotguns and rifles, that they couldn't legally own, for food. He had a seabag full of them, and military pistols and rifles. After being gone from home for five years, as the ship pulled into NY harbor, they announced that the soldiers would be checked and anyone caught with contraband could be held for up to six months. He said the rail was full of soldiers throwing bags overboard in the harbor, including him. The soldiers were not even checked. Cruel joke.

Here is one to look at.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by croldfort
I am reminded of a story from a coworker, WWII vet, that was motorcycle MP through Europe. He was among the last to come home from Germany. He talked about starving Germans trading beautiful handcarved shotguns and rifles, that they couldn't legally own, for food. He had a seabag full of them, and military pistols and rifles. After being gone from home for five years, as the ship pulled into NY harbor, they announced that the soldiers would be checked and anyone caught with contraband could be held for up to six months. He said the rail was full of soldiers throwing bags overboard in the harbor, including him. The soldiers were not even checked. Cruel joke.

Now that is one sad story!
65X54,

While I have shot the Aydt I got it towards the end of my competition in schuetzen matches. Its very accurate and the bore is perfect. I have a mold for it and I load the cartridges with bullets seated in the cases.

I am quite familar with other bullet seating methods but I prefer the loaded cartridge for offhand matches.

I did most of my shooting with the Hepburn and yes they kick however they let me wear my leather shooting coat which really soaks up the recoil.
My 1959 M70 fwt 30-06

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Rick: Do you really hunt that old thing????? grin

Veddy nice!
I did for years, in fact it was my go-to rig.

Since the facelift? I absolutely do hunt it, it just doesn't get scraped against a backpack anymore! wink I haven't shot anything with it since Greydog did the work so no hero pics. Saw stuff, just nothing I wanted to shoot.

It's really not that much, just a nice old fwt barrelled action with the sights taken off, a plug filling the rear dovetail and reblued. The bolt was showing some tarnish so Greydog jeweled it. The stock is a really dense piece of English in a Jerry Fisher featherweight design that I got from Heritage Walnut. Blackburn bottom metal and I believe a Fisher grip cap. Simple really. But it was done by someone who knows how and as importantly cared about the work he was doing. It perfectly fits "my" idea of what a custom walnut stocked rifle should look like. And it cost less than a lot of the stainless and fiberglass rifles we see on here!

Next time you're in western Canada you should shoot your animal with it.
Beautiful wood, my man... laugh
Veddy nice indeedy!
A couple of 99F's.

[Linked Image]

Mike
Husqvarna .30-06
[Linked Image]

Ruger #1 6mm Rem. (200th year of our liberty)
[Linked Image]

7x61 Sharpe&Hart
[Linked Image]

Browning .375H&H
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Okay; not really mine but I like to pretend.
Are any of those for sale? I'd like to have one in 308.
Brno 22F in 8x57.

Weagle

[Linked Image]
Definitly not the prettiest out there, but all my rifles are working guns. I really like this 30-06. I like the lighter stocks and its accuracy is pretty dang good also. Its my meat in the pot rifle. The one I always grab.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

My baby, old faithful, a true beauty in my eyes!

[Linked Image]
Well, two more since some are cheatin.., and puting more than one. smile

1941 Savage 99 EG in 300 Sav with stiths and Lyman Alaskan.
1960 Model 70 Westerner in 264 WM

[Linked Image]
Don't have any nice pics, and am not home to snap better ones. Here it is though.

It's a .54 Cal Flintlock that one of my dad's friends made for him when he and my mom got married in '86. I believe the stock is Tiger Maple/Curly Maple.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Pretty is, as pretty does ... form follows function, and an accurate, reliable rifle is as pretty as it gets ...

[Linked Image]
I whole heartedly agree, WGM. Personally I'll probably never own anything not synthetic/stanless.
Not at the moment.If I decide I will keep you posted.You could put up a post on the Savage collector section someone might have one for sale.

Mike
Originally Posted by Kamerad_Les

[Linked Image]

There you go again, Les, lying to everybody! We all know that a "T" is just for looks! wink
Originally Posted by RickF
My 1959 M70 fwt 30-06

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Very nice!
Originally Posted by Kamerad_Les

[Linked Image]

I notice you 99 guys always have to throw in that old "beauty is in the eye of the beholder thing". Is it because you love ugly guns, or because ugly gun are loveable? smile
Following the 'show your better half' thread, the OUTSIDE doesn't matter.

As a "happily" married man of 22 years I can honestly say...I am my better half.
1927H 303[Linked Image]
OK two of my own

First,

William Douglass 470 nitro, great wood and awesome regulation. Top gun in the photo (I've got to take better pic's of my stuff)

[Linked Image]
By coachsells, shot with COOLPIX S210 at 2009-01-31

Blaser R93 attache frame, nice wood looks nice when its all put together (damn those takedown guns :))

[Linked Image]
By coachsells, shot with COOLPIX S210 at 2009-01-31

Ed
M70 30-06

[Linked Image]

M52B
[Linked Image]
20" Marlin Mountie.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
My favorite pic of it:

[Linked Image]
338-06 "Patriot"
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

257Roberts
[Linked Image]
That Patriot is one cool rig. Not that I don't love the Bob.
This guns is my faverite...

I wuz thinking of carvin a little the wood stalk and addin a 4x14x56mm scope for huntin white tails in the swamp.

Comes in 7mm rem mag, but I will have the re-twist the chamfer on the barrel to take a bigger bulit like the 300 mangle'em Ultra mag.

[Linked Image]

Sorry, I just could not resist grin grin and if you own one, great on you, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. smile
I'm surprised at the "form follows function, and an accurate, reliable rifle is as pretty as it gets"

That old M70 I posted? It's as reliable as a rifle gets, and it will cloverleaf 150TSX's on the 100 yard target at 3000fps.

Stainless and fiberglass can be reliable and accurate, but so can walnut and blued. Just because you don't want to beat it around doesn't mean it won't take it.
2 favorites at the moment.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Another one of mine. It's a 7X57 BRNO 21H stocked by Paul Dressel. It sports a Zeiss/Jena 6X rail scope

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Terry
Terry:

Fantabulous!
TC1,

Interesting stock, I like it!
Yea, Paul's work is definitely unique. Modern with classic accents. It's a true custom.

Terry
Kimber Classic .308 wearing a 1.75-6X Vari X III. It's now sporting a 2.5-8 VXIII.
Bear Hunting SW Oregon.
[Linked Image]
Ruger No.1 in 7X57, made in 1977.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
CZ550FS in 308, with a butterknife handle and jeweled bolt done by a local g'smith.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
My custom Obendorf 9.3x62.......

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Some beautiful rifles for sure! wink

Terry
very nice weaponry spread amongst the brethren. here's an old one, 1914 Watson Bros. .450/.400.....one of the last to go out the door before production stopped for the Great War:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Here's my 1927 vintage, but refinished and re-stocked Winchester Model 54 in 30 Gov't 06.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I have seen the top of the mountain, and it is good...

smile
Lots of beauties on this thread, especially some of those Model 70s. wink Thanks for sharing pictures of these outstanding weapons.
Here's mine. Pachmayr Custom .280 Remington. 1909 DWM Argentine Mauser action, English walnut stock, Apex barrel, Canjar trigger, Win. style safety, jeweled bolt, Rem. Express iron sights, 26 LPI checkering, etc.

Had Pachmayr build it for me in 1978, when I lived in Los Angeles.

Shoots 3/4" groups consistently with my handloads.

[Linked Image]

Works for me.

L.W.
Stock was painted by Mr Bin himself.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Leanwolf
Here's mine. Pachmayr Custom .280 Remington. 1909 DWM Argentine Mauser action, English walnut stock, Apex barrel, Canjar trigger, Win. style safety, jeweled bolt, Rem. Express iron sights, 26 LPI checkering, etc.

Had Pachmayr build it for me in 1978, when I lived in Los Angeles.

Shoots 3/4" groups consistently with my handloads.

[Linked Image]

Works for me.

L.W.

That would work for me as well. Wow, nice rifle!
Ruger M77-MKII in .338 Win Mag. A fellow camper, Karnis, did the stock work. I think it looks great and it shoots well too.

[Linked Image]
Pretty is as pretty does... while not necessarily gorgeous in detail, it's beautiful in form and is beyond a joy to pack in the mountains:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
I personally think the Kimber Montanas are some of the best looking rifles out there.
Here's a couple I like:

M-70 7mm Rem Mag Custom:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Pre-64 M-70 9,3x62 Custom:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

What do you think about the Black and White? After re-reading Steven Dodd Hughes "Custom Rifles in Black and White", I thought I'd try a couple shots. Obviously I'm not to his levels but it was fun trying...............................DJ

Wow, DJ.
I really dig that 9.3X62 at the bottom, very nice indeed.
DJ, I knew you'd come through, don't shy away from posting any others!
DJ, I was thinken you had a very nice 338Win Toooooo....?
Here's a couple more pics:

Dakota Model 10 7mm Dakota:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Kimber 8400 French Walnut:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

........................................DJ
I kinda like those Kimber's DJ!
Dang DJ-every time you show that 10 I miss some sleep dreaming about the one I used to have.

Would love one in 7 Mashburn one of these days.

Thx again for sharing

Dober
Originally Posted by SamOlson
I kinda like those Kimber's DJ!

You'd better at this point..
grin

One more to keep this thread at the top. Husqvarna 1640 in .270Win. You guy's have seen it before but it still makes me smile when I pull it out of the safe grin

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Terry
A Kimber in Color:

Kimber 84M Super America 308:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

.............................DJ
Seams like the majority of the scopes have a gold ring on them. hmmmm....
Thanks Terry, made me smile seeing the pic. Nice rifle!
Originally Posted by battue
Seams like the majority of the scopes have a gold ring on them. hmmmm....

Here's a pretty one that ain't got stink'n gold ring crazy

BRNO ZG-47 in 8X64. 52 years old and still has it in spades. It's been hunted. This is one of the rifles I think about when I hear somebody say you gotta have stainless and plastic/form follows function/pretty is as pretty does and all the other buzz phases.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Thanks for the comment MagMarc. That was my "go to" rifle this year and it didn't disappoint.

Terry
In my next life I think I'd like to be a gun safe for either DJ or TC.... laugh
Thanks, Here's a couple more:

M-70 338 Win Mag:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Pics not quite as good but oh well......................DJ
Another in Black and White:

M-70 458 Lott:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The reinforcement bolts are all internal on this Bastonge Walnut stock....................DJ
One of my favorites

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Here's a cool one. 1952 Mannlicher-Schoenauer in .30-06 6X Unertl "Hawk" scope. Mechanically, this is the nicest rifle I've ever owned.
[Linked Image]
Terry

Last one and I'm out of guns crazy I know, I cheated. The thread was the prettiest which would mean only one. Sorry whistle.

Here is one of the 1st ones I did. A 1909 Argentine M98 Mauser. It's chambered in 9.3X62

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Terry

TC1, I really like your 9,3x62 especially the sites and barrel band. I probably should add them to mine. Fun caliber isn't it?...................DJ
Wow, dj those are as nice a rifles as I've ever seen. Who smithed that 338 M70?
RD, the 7 Rem Mag, 338 Win Mag and 9,3x62 were my projects 3,4 and 5 in that order.
I have a 7x57 twin to the 9,3 started but haven't had the time to work on it for quite a while. I need to get back on it..............................DJ
TC1, got somthing similar here. Born the same year 1952, same as me but the rifle has held up much better...

[Linked Image]
BTW, here are a few of the 1952's buddies...

[Linked Image]
DJ, that 9.3X62 is a hoot. It gives you a pretty decent shove when you pull the trigger but it's not uncomfortable to shoot by any means.

65X54, those are some stunning M/S's! Please fill me in on the one in the middle and the half stock model.

Thanks,
Terry
I've got a bunch of pretty rifles (Dakota 76, pre-war Winchester 70, pre-war Winchester 94, pre-64 Winchester Super Grade, early 1960s Sako-action Browning Safari), but I kind of like the classic looks of this particular rifle ... and, besides, I just happen to have this one on file ready to post, so what the heck.

It's a Mauser 98 sporter that was built in the heyday of master smiths making Mausers into sporters the right way. It's .30-06. All the best components from the old days, and in nearly 100% condition. Shoots great, too.

[Linked Image]

Attached picture 12158-G&HStyleMauser.JPG
Originally Posted by 65X54
BTW, here are a few of the 1952's buddies...

[Linked Image]
I'm always blown away when you show your rifles. Beautiful doesn't begin to describe them.
Originally Posted by TC1
Last one and I'm out of guns crazy I know, I cheated. The thread was the prettiest which would mean only one. Sorry whistle.

Here is one of the 1st ones I did. A 1909 Argentine M98 Mauser. It's chambered in 9.3X62

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Terry

Now I'm really jealous. Great caliber, too.
Here are some more of my pretty old guns.

[Linked Image]

Attached picture 12159-OldDogs.JPG
Thanks TC & Hawkeye, I do enjoy the rifles... You both have some outstanding rifles posted here. I love the old mousers, got a few of them here. Not quite as nice as the ones you both have though.

TC, the halfstock is the rifle version of the 1903. Caliber is the 6.5X54. I like to use this one as it has a pretty decent set of lyman sights on it. Loaded up with some IMR 4831 and the hornady 160 round nose it knocks the snot of a whitetail. The middle rifle is a 1905 cal 9X56, it also does a good job on the whitetails around here. I use some IMR 4320 and a swaged down hornady 250 gr roundnose in it.
The top one though is one of my favotites, built in 1958 cal 9.3X62. It was built for the european market. I think it would work very well for about anything one would want to hunt on this continent..

Thanks,
Max
Good lord what a great bunch of rifles. Here's my homemade 50 cal flintlock, my only custom build in 375 and one of my favorite rifle for almost 40 years, Savage 99A in 250.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Doc, I do love that 375.

Owen?
Thanks RickF,
It was built by Bob West and he was well into his eighty's when he did it.
Doc
Originally Posted by djpaintless
Thanks, Here's a couple more:

M-70 338 Win Mag:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Pics not quite as good but oh well......................DJ

Wow. To me and my tastes, that is one of the nicest rifles I've ever seen. I'm having a hard time trying to think on how you could improve on that rifle.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
My Low Wall in .260.

John

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Still like that little SOB.
Another nowhere near the class of some of the rifles posted above. But for some reason this one's kinda purty to me.

[Linked Image]
This thread answers the question, "Where have all the old Savage 99's gone?" Campfire members own them all!

O
Here are a couple of .22lr truck guns, one a Kimber of Oregon and the other a T-Bolt. I restocked both, but Pat Taylor, Canby OR did the checkering on the Kimber. Sorry the pictures are not better.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Steve, I always, absolutely, love those rifles when you show them...
99DL in 358
[Linked Image]
Not sure everyone would call what I own pretty but I do think some aren't to bad looking. wink

Here is a couple favorites.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Still like that little SOB.

Yeah, Harvey done good on that one...

John
Beautiful!
Originally Posted by Savage99358
A couple of 99F's.

[Linked Image]

Mike
There's no excuse for that. No one person should be allowed to have so many nice old Savage 99s all to himself. Our new president needs to spread your wealth in Savage 99s around a little. One for each Campfire member seems equitable to me. Shall we put that proposal up for a Campfire vote? All in favor, say aye.
It's a Mauser 98 sporter that was built in the heyday of master smiths making Mausers into sporters the right way. It's .30-06. All the best components from the old days, and in nearly 100% condition. Shoots great, too.

Could you elaborate a bit more on that Mauser. Such a classic needs more said about it. More pictures would be a plus also.

Many thanks
Originally Posted by Idared

Could you elaborate a bit more on that Mauser. Such a classic needs more said about it. More pictures would be a plus also.

Many thanks
I'm not much of a photographer, but I took these two shots outside just now for you. The barrel is by Johnson Automatics. The front and rear sights are both by Lyman. Probably put together, I'm guessing, in the middle to late 1940s. Perhaps from a German Mauser captured in the war. I understand this was a common practice. The fact it has no provision for scope mounting, and the stock design, tell me it was made before scoping sporting rifles was common. It originally had a polished blued steel butt plate. I had a recoil pad installed. It's surprisingly lightweight, and handles like a fine side-by-side double barrel shotgun. With the sling, just as you see it, it tips the scales at a svelte 7.6 lbs, and that's with a 25" barrel.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Attached picture 12199-OldMauserSporterI.JPG
Attached picture 12200-OldMauserSporterII.JPG
Here is my "Ultimate Bob"...

[Linked Image]

And my first pre-64 in a McMillan by Rick Bin (I still have the wood stock but need a buttplate for it).

[Linked Image]
99's to the toilers!
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

Many thanks
I'm not much of a photographer, but I took these two shots outside just now for you.

Many thanks for the info. That rifle shows a lot of Euoreon influence and I would guess someone in the U.S. added the barrel to an original Europeon sporter. It is a gteat rifle, one that I would be happy to own. Enjoy it as it is something special for sure. smile
Many thanks for the info. That rifle shows a lot of Euoreon influence and I would guess someone in the U.S. added the barrel to an original Europeon sporter. It is a gteat rifle, one that I would be happy to own. Enjoy it as it is something special for sure. smile
Thanks much, Idared. I feel I did very well for $400.00. Heck, the Lyman aperture sight alone is worth about half that price.

PS The bore is bright, the rifling sharp, and it shoots well, but I'm often tempted to have it rebored or re-barreled to 9.3 mm Mauser.

8X57J Double Rifle

Steve

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
My fair weather rig

[Linked Image]
Win M70 LH in 7x57, stocked by Chris Weber

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Stock has cast on and toe out, and comes to the shoulder very nicely

[Linked Image]
borderless checkering

Its foul weather brother
[Linked Image]
Win M70 LH SS in 30-06, McMillan Edge
Elmer, beautiful rifle(s). Your photos somehow got reversed cuz they show the bolts on the wrong side, but otherwise perfect! wink
Originally Posted by Elmer
My fair weather rig
I love that rifle. Classy caliber choice, too, for such a classy rifle. Very jealous here.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
the first is a Brno Zg-47,7x64,the last two my pride and joy..A-type Muaser,1924 in .404 Jeff
I don't have one really beautiful rifle, but getting one is definitely on my bucket list. That one would do.
Lots of nice eye candy being shown.

Right now, my prettiest would have to be this Win 70 Super Grade which was rebarreled to 6.5 WSM.
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by RedRabbit
Lots of nice eye candy being shown.

Right now, my prettiest would have to be this Win 70 Super Grade which was rebarreled to 6.5 WSM.
[Linked Image]
You've inspired me. I have a pre-64 Super Grade 70 in mint condition. Wood's beautiful. Not as beautiful as yours, but still damned nice. You've inspired me to stop considering it a safe queen, and to scope and shoot it. This is the only shot of it I have in my hard drive.

[Linked Image]

Attached picture 12223-WinSuperlowerhalfII.JPG
Lots of great looking rifles here cool

Function over form for me , are you guy sick of seeing my late fathers foul weather deer rifle yet ?

[Linked Image]

Was surprised at how well this carried last season even with that carry handle bolted to the top of it shocked

[Linked Image]
Old post I know, but this is where it belongs...1952 Model 70 with Lilja barrel in .338 Win Mag.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Photobucket sure buggered up this thread.
Lots of nice rifles
I just picked up this Anschutz 1516 22 Mag with pretty nice wood. It's a bit dinged up and could use a refinish but it looks pretty good as it is.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

A 1980’s vintage Winchester Model 70 Featherweight in .223 Remington. A close second would be my early ‘80’s vintage Winchester Model 70 .375 H&H. Both are mostly retired.....I have no real use for pretty rifles. I see them as a tool and are used accordingly! memtb
Lots of great looking rifles in this thread. Not as nice as some but here is my best looking one

[Linked Image]

Attached picture 20211229_094657 (1) (1).jpg
German Mark V in 257 W.M.
Shiloh Sharps Business Rifle

Here we have a Brno 9.3x62mm with stock redone by Karnis
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]how far to the next gas station

🤣😎
I don't have any, they all get used and abused
Cooper Jackson Squirrel Rifle
Originally Posted by pacecars

Ooooh... Beauty! What does it weigh?
And hows the recoil?
Originally Posted by jay
German Mark V in 257 W.M.

That’s damn nice.
Originally Posted by Northman
Originally Posted by pacecars

Ooooh... Beauty! What does it weigh?
And hows the recoil?

6 3/4 lbs. The 9.3 ain’t too bad
A 308 Mauser beauty.

Kimber 84M in English Walnut.

I like these a lot

Gorgeous wood on that Encore Rio !!!!!
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
The one on the right used to be my prettiest one, before I used it and abused it.

Now days, I think this is pretty.

I like this one too.
My Mauser 98 .404 Jeffery.
Originally Posted by elkhunternm

Top 10 Campfire crowd pleaser, right there!

Nice!
Originally Posted by SuperCub
Originally Posted by elkhunternm

Top 10 Campfire crowd pleaser, right there!

Nice!

Beautiful! Here is a G33/40

Remington Varmint .223 w/ Leupold 12x target. My favorite pdog blaster.

[Linked Image]
I had a pre B .280.rem #1 Ruger w good wood.
Nothing I own now is as fancy, and most wear synth.
Originally Posted by hanco
Beautiful! Here is a G33/40

Nice .... Everyone should have at least one classic rifle.
Some real beauties so far. Here's mine.
I guess.

[Linked Image from photos.imageevent.com]

Lee Jurras's TCR, rust blued barrel he made in 6.5x57R
Jay Frazier 6.5X55 in a Mexican Mauser.
I have several that may match it but I think for wood it pulls ahead. We took it sheep hunting to Barnard and forgot our slings so my wife made one in five minutes out of five fifty cord.

The BACO Model 70 Deluxe edition featherweight in 3006 which is the bottom rifle gives it a solid run. I hunt that rifle as well.
© 24hourcampfire