Home
Posted By: bxroads Sako 85 rings? - 02/01/09
I'm considering a Finnlight and have zero experience with Sako's. All of the pictures I've seen of 75's and 85's have rings that appear way to high for the scope. Can someone please summarize the various ring options?

Thanks in advance.

Clint
Posted By: VaHillbilly Re: Sako 85 rings? - 02/01/09
That's because a lot of guy's use the Sako Opti-lok rings and bases and they are super high even in what Sako calls a low ring. My favorite way to mount a scope on a Sako rifle is with Talley rings and bases, you can get your scope much lower with Talley's, I also tried the Leupold ring mounts, you can get your scope low enough with the Leupolds but they aren't the most secure mounting system and I wouldn't recommend them. The only fault I have with these great rifles is this pitiful mounting system, for a $1400.00 rifle you would think they could come up with something better than this glorified grooved receiver for mounting a scope securely......Good luck........547.
Posted By: Spotshooter Re: Sako 85 rings? - 02/01/09

Talley's are good but leave a mark on the top of the sake where the mount screws place tension on the mount. You can make a shim to put under it so it doesn't make a mark but that's kind of screwy.

I went back to sako's on my 85 because of that, sako's seem to work fine but get lows, the high's are way, way out of control.

Spot
Posted By: Journeyman Re: Sako 85 rings? - 02/01/09
I've used Sako's around the world for over 3 decades, and have tried most mounting systems extant. My preference on big game rifles is far and away Talley. I have my 'smith drill, but not tap the dovetail, and provide an over-length set screw. This lets the mounts work as intended, but adds the benefit of a "stop" for the mounts - win/win.
Posted By: bxroads Re: Sako 85 rings? - 02/01/09
The only fault I have with these great rifles is this pitiful mounting system, for a $1400.00 rifle you would think they could come up with something better than this glorified grooved receiver for mounting a scope securely

Thats my thoughts precisely. Enough so that I'm scratching the idea. I am not going to fight rings/bases when it's such a simple concept.
Posted By: handwerk Re: Sako 85 rings? - 02/01/09
I like the optilock mounting system, so there!
Posted By: Mad_Mikee Re: Sako 85 rings? - 02/01/09
I have the Optilock ring mounts on my 85. I prefer the cleaner look of the ring mount over the ring/base combo. If you have a heavy recoiler, might want the ring/base combo. They're a bit heavy but like everyhing Sako, well made.

I've no opinion on the quality nor how solid they are. My gripe is the height. They are not low enough.
Posted By: CREDITMAN Re: Sako 85 rings? - 02/01/09
Mad Mikee - Where did you find the Optilock ring mounts? I've used Conetrol mounts on my 75 & 85 with good results. A little aggravating to mount but solid.

Conetrol DapTar bases

Creditman, thanks for the tip. I may be back in the market!
If you go with Conetrol, they have some ring tape available that you put inside the ring halves. This makes it alot easier to turn the scope to level the reticle, but will not slip once everthing is tight.
Posted By: harv3589 Re: Sako 85 rings? - 02/01/09
I have the extra low optiloks and they are perfect, I wouldn't want them any lower....

[Linked Image]
If you did, you would have to bend your scope.
Posted By: BCBrian Re: Sako 85 rings? - 02/01/09
These are "low" Optilocks - I couldn't use the "extra-lows".

I like 'em!

[Linked Image]
Posted By: sir_springer Re: Sako 85 rings? - 02/01/09
Burris bases are available, both blued and stainless...

http://www.swfa.com/pc-1122-2566-burris-trumount-universal-2-piece-base.aspx

http://www.swfa.com/pc-6503-2566-burris-trumount-universal-2-piece-base.aspx

(SWFA provides excellent pictures of almost every ring and mount available)

Would allow you to go with Burris Signature rings...of which I'm a big fan.

Thanks for the pictures of the optilocks! I guess the previous pictures I saw were not low rings. Those should work fine.

Does anyone have the weight of a pair?
Sir Springer, I can't do the screws on the rear base.
Posted By: handwerk Re: Sako 85 rings? - 02/01/09
The lows will run you around 5.5 oz. everything included.
Posted By: Spotshooter Re: Sako 85 rings? - 02/01/09

harv,

Extra Low opti's are very hard to find (that are not ring mounts) here in the states.

But they really are not that much lower than the low mounts - I had both, my extra low's had a stripped screw so I had to return them.
Posted By: 221FB Re: Sako 85 rings? - 02/01/09
LOL, these Burris "Tactical" bases look like the old Weaver Sako bases:

http://www.swfa.com/pc-12496-190-burris-xtreme-tactical-2-piece-base.aspx
Posted By: OldCenterChurch Re: Sako 85 rings? - 02/01/09
The extra-lows were not available to me at the time, but probably would have served me better. That said, I love the ones I have and they'll allow me to use a larger objective. The scope shown on this rifle is now on my Kimber Montana. When I discovered how accurate My 85 was, I decided I wanted a little more magnification. I can't say enough about how solid the Optilocks are and I even like the inserts that protect the scope. Don't let them be a deal killer because this rifle has changed everything I thought I knew about rifles.

[Linked Image]
OCC, there's a lot of clearance there with the 36mm. Wish they were lower. That said, I'll probably go with a 40 mm (I've got 3 extras) with Butler Creek covers so I think it will be ok.

As you did, I'd go with the Edge right out of the chute. I might have to swing by Auburn and check it out.
Posted By: Jaywalker Re: Sako 85 rings? - 02/01/09
OCC,

It looks to me as if the limiting factor is the clearance of the power adjuster ring and the base of the OptiLocks. Would a Leupie VX-III 2.5-8 even work with Exra Low OptiLocks?
Posted By: OldCenterChurch Re: Sako 85 rings? - 02/02/09
Originally Posted by Jaywalker
OCC,

It looks to me as if the limiting factor is the clearance of the power adjuster ring and the base of the OptiLocks. Would a Leupie VX-III 2.5-8 even work with Exra Low OptiLocks?

Good question. I don't know.
Posted By: bxroads Re: Sako 85 rings? - 02/02/09
Originally Posted by handwerk
The lows will run you around 5.5 oz. everything included.

Thanks! Wonder if the DapTars have the round stud "lug" (for lack of a better term). If so they may be a worthy alternative and save some weight too.
Posted By: bxroads Re: Sako 85 rings? - 02/02/09
[Linked Image]
Posted By: harv3589 Re: Sako 85 rings? - 02/02/09
Originally Posted by Spotshooter

harv,

Extra Low opti's are very hard to find (that are not ring mounts) here in the states.

But they really are not that much lower than the low mounts - I had both, my extra low's had a stripped screw so I had to return them.

They are not that easy to find up here as well it seems. They fit my FXIII 6x42 great...but I have been tossing around the idea of going to the ring mount optiloks.
Posted By: Delta Hunter Re: Sako 85 rings? - 02/02/09
I've used 5 or 6 different mounts on my Sako 75's . Here's some Talleys. I think I prefer these best of all:

[Linked Image]

Here's another with Conetrols. These are the lowest mounts I have used on a Sako and I like them in general, but they are harder to work with.

[Linked Image]

Here's the top rifle again, this time with low Optilocks.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Delta Hunter Re: Sako 85 rings? - 02/02/09
BTW, this is why I have an easy time liking Sakos:

[Linked Image]
Posted By: CREDITMAN Re: Sako 85 rings? - 02/02/09
bxroads - The DapTars do not have a recoil lug like the optilocks. To install, you slide them forward on the tapered dovetail, tap them firmly with a small block of wood, tighten the set screw. I promise you, they will not move. My DapTar bases with 30mm low rings weigh 4.6 ozs.
Posted By: boomhand Re: Sako 85 rings? - 02/02/09
The X-lows don't have the base mount like the lows. VX3 3.5-10 clears fine on my 75
Posted By: djpaintless Re: Sako 85 rings? - 02/03/09
Originally Posted by CREDITMAN
bxroads - The DapTars do not have a recoil lug like the optilocks. To install, you slide them forward on the tapered dovetail, tap them firmly with a small block of wood, tighten the set screw. I promise you, they will not move. My DapTar bases with 30mm low rings weigh 4.6 ozs.

There are a couple disadvantages of the tap in systems such as this when compared to optilocks.

One is that they aren't quick removeable like optilocks are. With optilocks you can easily take the scope on and off with little loss of zero.

Two is that with the Optilocks you have windage adjustment using the front dovetail. You can optically center your scope and then align it with the bore by sliding the front base back and forth.

The optilocks do have some disadvantages but I still prefer them to all of the alternatives for my Sako's.........................DJ
© 24hourcampfire