Home
Posted By: Savage99Nut older H&R rifle - 02/15/09
anyone seen an H&R bolt action rifle built on a Mark X action with a Douglass barrel and Fajen wood stock. the caliber is .270 and the finish work is excellent. i have been searching around for some info on this gun but to this point have come up empty. my Dad bought this years ago and i was just looking at it today and would love to know when they were built and for how long. thanks
Posted By: johnw Re: older H&R rifle - 02/15/09
any markings on it???
Posted By: Savage99Nut Re: older H&R rifle - 02/15/09
yeah it has the FN Mauser markings on the action, Douglass on the barrel as well as H&R Ultrarifle .270 WIn. the bolt handle is milled flat, it has a rosewood endcap. no model # that i found. very nice pc. of walnut tops it off. i can't find a thing about this gun anywhere.
Posted By: model70man Re: older H&R rifle - 02/15/09
If the stock is of the classic style, it's probably the H&R Model 340. I think the H&R Ultra had a rollover type cheek piece on the stock. Both were very nice rifles that didn't get enough respect. Thanks...
Posted By: quarterboredave Re: older H&R rifle - 02/16/09
Could be a model 300, 330, or as above a 340. At any rate they were all made from 1965 to 1982. A couple of those models were discontinued in the mid 70's. Very nice rifles, unfortunatly the H&R brand was associated with inexpensive shotguns and pistols so they never sold very well.
Posted By: johnw Re: older H&R rifle - 02/16/09
here's some pics of my h&r .222.....

[img][IMG]http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a52/hotstick5p/john002.jpg[/img][/img]

[img][IMG]http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a52/hotstick5p/john003.jpg[/img][/img]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: gahuntertom Re: older H&R rifle - 02/16/09
If it is marked FN it's a 300 Ultra. The 330's have auful stocks and the 340's had mkx actions. I Have 3-2 on FN and 1 on a SAKO action. My hunting partner has 1 FN 300 and 2 MKX 301's.
Posted By: ingwe Re: older H&R rifle - 02/17/09
Originally Posted by model70man
If the stock is of the classic style, it's probably the H&R Model 340. I think the H&R Ultra had a rollover type cheek piece on the stock. Both were very nice rifles that didn't get enough respect. Thanks...

+1 smile
They definitely didn't get enough respect...
Ingwe
Posted By: johnw Re: older H&R rifle - 02/17/09
10:00 AM this morning... first shot cold barrel from the above pictured rifle... 100 yards... rem 50gr. factory...

[img][IMG]http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a52/hotstick5p/img037.jpg[/img][/img]
Posted By: Rangr44 Re: older H&R rifle - 02/17/09
I would be surprised it it didn't shoot well - The small C.F. cartridge H&R's, like the small Colt rifles of that era, were all based on Sako L-46 barreled action's, IIRC.

The larger C.F. H&R rifles were commercial Mausers, all named "Ultra" - I've used take-off H&R stocks to upgrade Mauser 98 "sporters" that were sporterized with very low grade aftermarket wood. A quick relief & glass bedding job, and they were good to go.

The H&R standard config was the Model 300, while the full-stock model was the Model 301.

H&R also made a similarly-stocked short cartridge (.308 length) semi-auto C.F. rifle, which was tagged the Model 360.

Here is the one I have:

[Linked Image]

I like that rifle!!
© 24hourcampfire