Home
I am beginning to think I have too many hunting rifles, and I know it is heresy to suggest this. I have beanfield guns, brush guns, wet weather guns, guns I can loan out to new hunters, lightweight rifles, compact rifles, small caliber, large caliber, and just about everything in between.

I can remember when it was simple, when I only needed one deer rifle. In fact, it was the first rifle I ever bought, a Remington 700 Mountain Rifle in .280 that I picked up almost 13 years ago. Now, I find that I rarely hunt with it, as I am trying too hard to "match" the rifle to the conditions.

Anyone else notice this in their collections?
no such thing. i only have 3 and it's because i have sold and traded too much, and bought not enough. i plan to fix that this weekend.

-Matt
I figure that my shooting sports hobbies have kept me off the street and out of bars for nearly 25 years, so having a room full of firearms and the ancillaries that go with them isn't a bad thing at all. Besides, after the 1st 100 or so, they all start to look pretty much alike.

Jeff
This is the great fun of guns! They don't talk back, take up that much room nor cost all that much.

We can dream of the details of each one and plan on that guns improvement or if we tire of it just to sell it.
Tell that to the wife...

But, as long as she gets to buy her scrapbooking stuff, I get to buy guns! smile
Frankly, I am blown away by the number of rifles some of the gang here have tucked away in their...I assume...half dozen or so gun safes. smile Some guys really get the bug bad!

I've got 11 rifles and shotguns in my safe...half of 'em I inherited at one time or another. My problem is that I can't part with any of 'em, still own every firearms I've ever possessed. I'm just a sentimental slob when it comes to that.

But I only hunt with 2 or 3 of them, although I'm going to have the Ithaca Model 37 I inherited from my Dad completely redone, including new wood and bluing, so it fits me and I can take on my two son-in-laws on a few prairie upland bird hunts or at the range.

On the plus side, the wife doesn't pay attention, or at least can't seem to count very well. wink

Too many not exactly but too many similar calibers so some sit for years....maybe
The five on the front row of my safe are about all I ever use.
A few years ago my son and I were talking about an upcoming Elk hunt and the discussion moved to rifles.
I made the comment that I had more than I could hunt with.
He reached in his pocket and handed me a Magazine for a Remington 760 he had got for me.
He said "I just added to your problem pop, happy birthday"
Another one I can never get rid of grin
Jason280: Yes I have noticed I have a lot of specialty Hunting Rifles.
And no I don't think I have to many - my wife thinks so - but not me.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Originally Posted by Jason280
In fact, it was the....Mountain Rifle in .280. Now, I find that I rarely hunt with it, as I am trying too hard to "match" the rifle to the conditions.

What you need to do is match that rifle to its condition and sell it to me.
Recently I too have been looking at the number of rifles etc I have. Then I looked at which ones I have hunted with in the past 3 years, the type of hunting I do, the type of hunting I plan to do in the future and how it all fits together. I could very easily get along with 2 rifles and 1 shotgun. The remaining guns just sit in the safe and none of them come close to being true safe queens.

My walk about rifle is a 44 mag carbine and I hunt deer, elk, moose and bear with my 35 Whelen. Of course the .44 works for deer as well. I'm not interested in hunting predators but if given the chance, either of my rifles will take out a coyote or wolf. I tend to keep my shots under 200 yards and prefer under 100, even on the open prarie where I live.
My only real problem is the shotgun choice. 12 or 20. I use them both regularly. But we are talking rifles here so.....
Hell no. One can never have too many hunting rifles or fishing rods. grin

PS make all mine Remington 700's and Garcia 5000's. wink
I certainly had too many. I am and always have been a one-woman man. Likewise, it is very hard for me to split my allegiance between several rifles. I started my hunting career with a Thompson Encore. Me and that gun have ridden many trails and taken many critters. I also own a Mark V that I am very attached to. It is getting a new barrel but that's o.k..

When it is time to go hunting I simply have to close my eyes and pick one.
My absolute minumin as of now is a,Kimber 22LR, AYA sxs 12G, XR 100 20 VarTarg,� 1908 DWM 7x57 Stalking Rifle, 1950 FN 404 Jeffery. Covers everything. Got rid of quite a few to reduce it to the bare essentials. Plus a 303 of course, un-patriotic not to. Like your 30-06 they hardly count because every one should have at least one. It is what kept our countries free. Von Gruff
I damn sure have too many 'hunting' rifles. I'd like to go into more depth but I'm working on my next build......
I have both way too many and not nearly enough.
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I damn sure have too many 'hunting' rifles. I'd like to go into more depth but I'm working on my next build......

Woke up my wife laughing at that one!
i have the same problem .but im going with the theory you cant have to many.

Attached picture 12474-Copy(2)ofguns.jpg
My problem is not that I have too many but that I can't take them with me...
NEVER, NEVER, NEVER!
Guilty as charged, but there are just a few more rifles I want...

I'll admit it, my name is Larry and I'm a rifle looney. There, I said it.
I am beginning to think I have too many hunting rifles, and I know it is heresy to suggest this.
It is.. laugh

....and you can NEVER have too many rifles..
Hello Larry, Im a rifle looney too,So welcome to the party,I go see a mental therapist about this as I have ADD as guns and ammo crafting and hunting controls my mind at least 80% of the time and I cannot make it stop and it has been this way since I was in the 4th grade when I made up my mind that I wanted a shotgun and I took this thing and drove my parents nuts with it and they got so sick of listening to me howl about the gun and they finally got me one just to get me to shut the hell up,this thing has cost me 3 wives as the light finally came on one day and I realized that the gun would always win so marriage is not an option any longer,I look at my behavior and compare it to a Drug addict as I can see many definant resemblences to it so I thank God daily that I dont have the druggy thing goin on in my life,I have come to the realization that if a man is going to have an addiction this is a good one to have,much good pleasure come from smokin gun,nuff said about that as I feel the itch comin on to go adopt another one........
Quit counting years ago, I have rifles and shotguns scattered in three states, when I start feeling like I may have enough I give one to a nephew and I get healed, and can start looking for another, works for me.
I don't think I've got too many, 11 IIRC at the present moment, one in build stage. Got reasons to have em all, but could prolly get by with 5 if I was pressed to do so. My excuse for most of the latest acquisitions are my two boys who will need firearms of their own when they're of age (they're already chomping at the bit). My wife thinks I'm a bit touched...and she'd be right.
No such thing as to many hunting rifles. Or to many guns in general. With me also, this has been a good "addiction" and has kept me from spending my money on booze, etc. My Wife even says at least I have something to show for my investments.(great woman!) My Dad was a gun loonie and I became one at an early age.
Virgil B.
After my gunsmith finishes my 6.5STW and Karl finishes my 7-08,I'm through with buying,selling and building rifles for a long time.I don't need or want anymore.
No, absolutely not ! Presently I own 14 rifles and 5 shotguns, which -considering the many possible hunting situations- barely cover the needs. True, I can manage but, to be really comfortable, I could use a dozen more whistle
After my gunsmith finishes my 6.5STW and Karl finishes my 7-08,I'm through with buying,selling and building rifles for a long time.I don't need or want anymore.

I'll bet grin
Off hand I'm not exactly sure how many firearms I own, but I have a new rule for myself. It's the one in one out rule. I just picked up a nice pre-64.30.06 so it looks like a Ruger .06 gotta go. I've got an older 6mmRem that's going to get traded so I can get a new .223 with a 1-9" twist. I'm viewing the guns I now own that don't get used much as my seed corn.
Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?

The thread should be do you have too few hunting rifles.

smile
I've come to the understanding that having too many guns can be a problem, particularly rifles.
What happens is that I only use a few. With those, I become very familar. I come to really trust them. Using them becomes very smooth, easy, and fast. The longer I stay away from the others, the ones I don't shoot but once every few years, the rougher, more awkward I handle them when under stress.
I've found, that in general, it's a mistake to buy and setup specialized guns. It seems that the critters seldom read my game plan. Still, I'm acquiring a couple of new 30'06's as I post this. One is of "all around" configuration. But the other is a peep sighted, pump action Remington. If I can stay on an elk's boiler room at 300 yds. with it, I'll hunt it. If not...., well, I'll have to really think about using it. It has the quality of being acquired at zero cost to me, so there is that.
Over the years, I've come to understand that rifles go sour. Screws loosen, they get bumped, scopes can cause trouble, etc. The best way to make sure that thing will work when you really need it to do so, is to shoot it regularly. Not just from the bench for a few rds. Shoot it from off hand. Shoot two plus rds as fast as you can at a 10 inch target 50-100 yds. out. Practice dropping into a sitting position. Shoot it at the longer ranges. Unknown ranges if you can.
I'm a public land hunter. I spend alot on time and money to do the hunting I do. I don't get many chances to kill the stuff that I insist on hunting. So everything has to work properly. I must be able to get on target, often in minimal time and hit that critter properly.
So, I need a few guns that I know really well. Not just one. I always have at least two complete rifles ready to hunt when I go hunting. To get this done, it needs to be just a few, well tested rifles. E
Too mnay hunting rifles? No!

Too many rifles that I never hunt with, possibly.
Originally Posted by crittergetter

So, a long time is like, what, a month? Two weeks? eek
That's like asking a mechanic "do you have to many tools?"

Could have hunted most everything I plan to tackle in my life with my .270 in a 700 ADL bought in junior high and 12 guage 870 Express bought in senior high, but why limit yourself? If I see one I want and the bank account allows at the time, I'll get it. They all don't get hunted every year, but if they're needed, they're there. I'll grab one or two a year that I'm going to hunt, verify it still shoots where its supposed to, and have at it. The next year might be the same ones, might be different ones out of the safe, or might be new ones just purchased. Variety, its the spice of life.
Fine rifles and shotguns are sorta like good whiskey. Somedays one is too many and 100 ain't enuff.
i like that.
My wife claims I have too many, I calim I don't have enough. I could afford to get rid of 2 or 3, but instead I am looking at adding one this year. Haven't bought a gun in 4 years, other than the pistol the wife bought me for Christmas.
I am beginning to think I have too many hunting rifles, and I know it is heresy to suggest this. I have beanfield guns, brush guns, wet weather guns, guns I can loan out to new hunters, lightweight rifles, compact rifles, small caliber, large caliber, and just about everything in between.

I can remember when it was simple, when I only needed one deer rifle. In fact, it was the first rifle I ever bought, a Remington 700 Mountain Rifle in .280 that I picked up almost 13 years ago. Now, I find that I rarely hunt with it, as I am trying too hard to "match" the rifle to the conditions.

[Linked Image]
No.
i used to have too many. i don't anymore.

Yes, looked at rationally, I have too many hunting rifles.

So? grin

Do you have too many hunting rifles?

yes
yes. in the lower 48 I can do all I need to do with a .22, a 6mm Rem, and a 280 Rem. That means I can sell the 17 Mach II, the 30-30, the 7x57, and the 300RSAUM. But I would be nuts to do that.... Geez, why did you have to start this thread? smile
yes and I only need one more, and I swear it will be my last one...
Too many is just not enough... Yes, I have too many. No, I will not be thinning the herd, short of some catastrophe.
Originally Posted by KDK
I have both way too many and not nearly enough.

This is me. Sorry, just being a red blooded American.
What kind of a stupid question is that, you goofball?

WIVES HAVE BEEN KNOWN TO VISIT THIS SITE! wink
Too many?.........Maybe for someone who don't understand our sickness, but for a rifle nut I don't think you could ever have enough..............Rock On you sick Bastages grin.........547.
Here we are to page 5 and yet no one has defined too many. Too many may exist in the subjective but does not appear to have a foundation in reallity.
Too many? Well, hello... an old hunting buddy asked about what i'd bought since we last hunted, and while typing started to feel a bit silly, realized had way way more than need. Bothered me a bit. Am not even home in the US, so they're in storage or an FFL/gunshop - it's kinda stupid actually.

But you know, it's a hobby, a healthy pastime; "need" is not relevant, just "affordability". Have been this way since met my better half, so she "accepts" it as (almost) normal man behavior. So yeah, guess have just bout the right number of guns afterall. Caved and picked up another online last night :-p
Too many hunting rifles?....well, yeah.Anything more than one is too many.How many pairs of shoes do you have?
Not so far..... grin
Someday..Maybe... grin
I thought having too many hunting rifles was a pre-requisite for participation in the forum? Yes, I must have at least 15 rigs suitable for eastern woods hunting yet I reach for my Model 7 S/S in 7mm-08 or my Ruger .44 carbine 70s vintage autoloader more than any others. I've also sold or traded perhaps another 10 rigs. For about 10 years I hunted in western New York which is shotgun-only. As a result, all my rifles merely sat in the safe while my Ithaca Deerslayer did all the work.

I've managed to limit myself to one shotgun rig, deciding that nothing was to be gained by owning a half dozen slug guns.
Some of the confessions of the true loonies are funny! I don't have enough yet...but a friend who is 80 might. He emptied his huge safe the other day and discovered he had TWO of the exact same firearm. He has no recollection getting the second one!

"Too many?" Nahhh. Just don't have enough time to use 'em all.
One can never have too many. Although I have some thats not been shot in 20 years, I guess I'LL just hang on to them and pass them down to the relatives.
Probably never enough.

My wife understands me. She says I have my silver and/or black rifles that I hunt with and then I have my "collection". Further that I may never have enough.

She was surprised at how many my 3 daughters, son and step son owned when they got to the moving out part.

She should know. Since we got married 16 years ago [I was married earlier for 19.5 years] she has bought me an SS .338 Model 70, SS 10-22, WW2 30 Carbine, SS Mini-14 Ranch, and a Glock 27. I have had to do the rest on my own.
I have spent a bunch of times on planes this week, so used that time to try to rationalize my collection. I think I could cut it to about 20.

Not counting handguns.

Or family heirloom guns.

Or the guns that are promised to my boys.

Or air rifles.
Those who hunt a lot have fewer; whereas, those who don't have many more. Rifle cranks tend to think and talk about this stuff because there isn't much opportunity to actually use their rifles.
Veddy true!
Originally Posted by RinB
Those who hunt a lot have fewer; whereas, those who don't have many more. Rifle cranks tend to think and talk about this stuff because there isn't much opportunity to actually use their rifles.

I can say that certainly doesn't apply to me, as I spend a good amount of time in the woods every year. Of course, being less than 5 minutes away from my lease does help tremendously.
How can you possibly have too many rifles???????? Why I dont even have a 22 Hornet,a 30-06 or a 375 magnum.
I've accumulated a few dozen, and always seem to go back to the first rifle I bought on my own. A Rem 721 in 300 H&H. The others seem to fall by the wayside. Any new acquisitions now are earmarked for my 2 sons....I hope they like them!
i have more than i need, but, not as many as i want.

I have four children.

Which means I need to have 5X the number "needed" in order to pass them down to my kids while I continue to hunt, God willing.

So, no. wink

But looking in the safe reminds me of how blessed we are in America, both with our freedoms and economic success.
No,I just don't have enough safes....
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
My problem is not that I have too many but that I can't take them with me...

That's how I feel, not looking like I'll have any kids of my own to pass them down and any nieces or nephews of mine don't take care of their things very well and it'd kill me even more to know one of my precious guns were to go to anyone who wouldn't take care of them.

I keep buying more rifles, but the last few years about the only hunting I do is archery.
I am beginning to think I have too many hunting rifles...

... a Remington 700 Mountain Rifle in .280 that I picked up almost 13 years ago. Now, I find that I rarely hunt with it...

That poor, POOR rifle! Please, Jason, let me take it off your hands, and put it in a home where it will be hunted with regularly. You OWE it to that rifle!

FC
Not enough one less than I need. There are 2 gun auctions this weekend. Oh well the collection grows.
Not enough one less than I need. There are 2 gun auctions this weekend. Oh well the collection grows.
That poor, POOR rifle! Please, Jason, let me take it off your hands, and put it in a home where it will be hunted with regularly. You OWE it to that rifle

Don't worry, that rifle has a pretty good life. I mounted a Nikon 3-9 on it a few years back in Buehler bases/rings, and it has made a good deer killin' combination. Its still my favorite rifle, and still gets the job done.
I don't think you can ever have too many rifles, but you can use too many. I have a few rifles, but I only use one for big game, my Ruger m77 in 30-06. I think most people would be better off spending time practicing and getting used to the gun(s) that they have rather than researching and debating on what rifle is the ultimate rifle for the specific conditons of the hunt. I know that is half the fun and I am guilty of it as well. Every time I think about getting a new rifle, I just tell myself to spend the money on ammunition and practice, and I will be miles ahead. The same goes for shotguns. One of my hunting buddies missed a chance at a pheasant last year beasuse he hunts with too many different shotguns. The pheasant flushed about 3 feet in front of him, but by the time he found his safety it was way too late and the bird got away.

I know I probably sound like the enemy right now, and don't get me wrong, I'm not against having a bunch of rifles, I just prefer to use one and have the rest of the truckload for backup rifles.
I have several "hunting" rifles, and all mine are "using" guns. I carry a Blaser R-93 Professional Tracker in 308 EVERY DAY and shoot it 4 days a week average. I hunt hogs year around and deer from November to January.
I have a core group of rifles that I use on a regular basis and a larger group that I just enjoy owning, load development, and shooting. I could get by with the core group just fine. From that perspective I guess the larger group is "too many", but for plan enjoyment of shooting they still have their place and occasionally get out to the hunting fields.
Yes, but what can I do about it?!
Originally Posted by BobinNH
How many pairs of shoes do you have?

I could honestly add up all my worldy posessions outside of hunting and not have a truck full. I have wayyyyyyyyyyyy more hunting stuff than anything else by a long shot.

BTW: I own ~ 5 pairs of shoes. I have more hunting boots than that by ~ 2:1............... cool
Its not possible to have too many guns, just too few gunsafes smile

my theory is that if you have fewer guns than you are years of age, you have a small collection, if you have more guns than you are years of age, you have a large collection (age +/- 10% is a medium collection I guess)

I will not comment on the size of my collection wink

as I drift thru my 48th year....

hunting rifles are REALLY nice, sometimes I say I like hunting rifles better than I like hunting deer.

Here in AZ, you may or may not get drawn for a big game tag, and of course may or may not fill it.... so its quite possible to accumulate hunting rifles faster than one can use them smile

shoot good

Poole
I don't feel so bad after reading this thread.. When I see 100's, a few dozen etc.. My gun safe is full. Have a few old military rifles on the wall, probably more rifles that I would use. Nice thing is you always have a back up to bring when going out of town. Also have something to borrow out when introducing new people to deer or hog hunting.
Hmmm....define 'hunting rifles'?
Can always stash one more somehow in a safe, so the answer is NO!

My wife doesn't mind at all.Thinks I need another safe,she helps me keep up with the inventory and enjoys shooting the 'little' ones.She has a Cat named Ruger?
I think she can't wait for my retirement so we can hunt more,she loves the stories about Africa and has great legs too....
I'm in Heaven here! I think too many may be impossible to reach...........rifle
Too many to hunt with in a given season, perhaps, but never enough to shoot, touch and enjoy throughout the off season.I do however find myself mainly looking at rifles that will increase in value, to help make a purchase legit.
The only rifles I feel bad about are the ones I traded or sold. The ones I gave away make me feel good. I have a bunch of hand guns that I really do not use anymore, but each of them have at least one good memory to go with, so whenever I think of selling or trading off, the tender gentler side takes over and I put them back in the safe. I have a S&W 586 that I have traded or sold four times, and somehow it has beei brought back home once more.

Right now I am thinking it is time I went small bore and am looking at 22hornet, 223 and 22-250 as options. The reading and ballistics study is reward enough for the process.
Randy
I am not a gun nut, or rifle loonie, I am a firearms afficiado...hehehe
Is this a rhetorical question?
Yes, am I going to do anything about it?....NOPE.
"Too Many" and "Rifles" don't even fit in the same sentence.

Rob
I've kept the number to what I consider an amount that I have time for. I like to spend as much time as I realistically can shooting and hunting but if I had a lot more rifles my time would be quite divided and I'd likely be less proficient with them.

While I own a total of nine long guns and one pistol, I've been doing all of my big game hunting with two rifles, a Ruger #1B in .270 Winchester and a Remington 700 BDL in .35 Whelen. Other stuff catches my eye but then I think "what would I do with it?" In fact my only varminter is a Ruger #1V in .22-250 and although I shot it on targets last year I never went hunting with it. That being said, nailing groundhogs with 110 grain V-Maxs from a .270 is pretty funny. I have on occassion even gone hogging with the Whelen.

For me the result of a not-so-big rifle collection is that I shoot better than I otherwise would be able to and I know the trajectory of my rifles very well. With my .35 Whelen, I expect my shots to land in a 6" group at 300 yards from unsupported prone. While I'm sure that there are guys here who can do better, I'm also sure that if I was dividing my practice I personally wouldn't be doing as well as I am.
So here is THE question: If yer gonna have too many, how many would that be, exactly?????

.....I don't know, either!
Somebody said you can never be too thin or too rich. I would like to add, or have too any rifles.
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
I figure that my shooting sports hobbies have kept me off the street and out of bars for nearly 25 years, so having a room full of firearms and the ancillaries that go with them isn't a bad thing at all. Besides, after the 1st 100 or so, they all start to look pretty much alike.

Jeff

I agree. No hookers, no blow, no gambling, no girlfriend, no drinking, well a beer or two once in a while.

Haven't hit the 100 mark yet but I passed the half way mark a dozen or so ago.

Maybe I should re-think the girlfriend thing on second thought.

Don't think the wife would mind at this point.............
The answer to the question is yes, and no... grin
Yes, I have too many rifles to fit in the gun safe.
And, No, I WILL NEVER have too many. grin

No, I have to little room to store them. So I slowed down on rifles and started adding to the pistol side of the house. Seems to work for me. The collection grows and my gun junky fix is good for a while.

Hoeram
NRA Life Member
Originally Posted by sir_springer
. . . On the plus side, the wife doesn't pay attention, or at least can't seem to count very well. wink

Someone who has a wife like mine! whistle

Buying and keeping guns is a disease. Fortunately it is a hobby that can be an investment in most cases. I began buying and collecting guns (in duplicate) in the 1970s, explaining to my wife I needed two of each since we had two boys. I slowed down in the 80's and 90's but have since ramped up again. I must stop since I have totally run out of gun safe space. I have a half dozen muzzle loaders, a half dozen shotguns, a half dozen .22s and .22 mags, including two very nice Win 9422 mags with which I began my collection back in the '70s, an Anschutz Manlicher stocked .22 Hornet, a Cooper .204 varmint rifle, a beautiful and accurate walnut stocked Steyr .260, a gorgeous CZ custom 6.5x55, a customized Jap Arisaka mauser in .300 Savage, a Mauser 7x57, an beautiful Whitworth Interarms 30-06, a Rem 700 30-06, a Rem Model Seven MS .350 Rem mag, and a very nice Ruger Mod 77 .416 Rigby I hope to take to Africa one day. I also have scopes for most of those rifles. I have a few nice pistols as well, but that is another story. I must stop buying guns. Help.
Told my wife when I bought the last one, when she ask me why I bought another rifle, when you already have 11. Said sometimes a fellow, just needs to buy another rifle.

Not wanting a gun is better than having one.

OTOH, a hobby isn't a bad thing...
Originally Posted by mike103
[quote=260Remguy]

I agree. No hookers, no blow, no gambling, no girlfriend, no drinking, well a beer or two once in a while.

Haven't hit the 100 mark yet but I passed the half way mark a dozen or so ago.

Maybe I should re-think the girlfriend thing on second thought.

Don't think the wife would mind at this point.............

Mike,that is pretty funny! laugh

Pretty fair assessment.
Originally Posted by SKane

Pretty fair assessment.

Rifle crank....yeah, pretty much that's me!
No not me. I'm the practical sort wink . I have my R93/338WM which I reach for every time I head high, my Bruno .22LR for foxes & rabbits for when the mood strikes me & I'm having a custom 338 Federal built up off a Pre-64, which I dare say my son will use. But I must confess I want one of those new FN Model 70's in 338WM. Just thinking about another 338WM in a CRF FN Model 70 gives me a woody grin
I'm on a "no net gain" personal policy now. I have plenty of rifles. If I want a new one, something old has to go.

Pretty much <g>....
Yes.....back in the mid-90's I hit burn-out,sold everything,and was down to a 270 and a 375. It was liberating.....

Inevitably, I succumbed again,and now have more than I need, but they are all similar.........

So, the other day, to get past this "problem" I laid-away a M94 30-30,pre 64 (of course)in NRA 99% condition. I was intrigued by the utter simplicity of the thing......
Bob, those M94 P64s are kinda fun, also more accurate than I thought they would be.
Mine isn't in 99% condition, however.
My wife paid you to start this thread didn't she?
The only way I could ever have too many hunting rifles would be if I had them all.
Originally Posted by 340boy
Bob, those M94 P64s are kinda fun, also more accurate than I thought they would be.
Mine isn't in 99% condition, however.

My pre 64 model 94 of choice is 1937, has litttle to no finish left ans still shoots 3" 50 yd groupd which is good enough for close bush hunting of whitrtails. I have not shot it at game since 1990/
Randy
There's been a couple P64 M94's at my favorite gunshop lately. Pretty reasonable prices, too. I've been tempted.

What I REALLY want is a beater 50's or 60's Marlin in .32 WS or .35 Rem, for about $150...
Many more than I "need"....but no where near too many.
Why is it that we always need....just....one....more?
As much as I love the little bastages I've come to the conclusion only recently that a hunter is better off owning only a few top notch rifles with the best optics he can afford then the hunter needs to get very familiar with these rigs, I think owning only a few rifles and shooting those few often makes for a more proficient deadly hunter especially in stressful situations ..............547.
Not counting two family heirloom rifles I have one big game rifle. It's what I use for everything bigger than a coyote. It's a very nice top notch rifle that in my mind is better than anything else. I don't need or really want more hunting rifles. I want more hunting. This business of having a different rifle for any and all hunts imaginable is a little silly. If I ever get to hunt something where the law requires a .375 I'll buy another one.
My thought is that I need only enough rifles in order to have enough at the range to rotate so as not to heat up the barrels too much. Right now I just have a 300 wsm, 3006, and 308 (makes for easier reloading to have only one bullet calliber to purchase). Although I'm feeling the need to get a smaller calliber for a 9 year old that will be hunting soon. Perhaps a 223 or a 243 depending on his recoil tollerance. Then I'll have just enough rifles. With the exception of my "longed for" cooper.
Never too many hunting rifles. I'm trying to have one in just about every decent caliber out there. So far my list of hunting rifle includes at least one rifle in each of the following calibers: .204, .224, .243, .257, .264, .277, .284, .308, .311, .323, .338, .358, and .375 not including my ML rifles in .50 and .54 calibers. Been meaning to pick up a 9,3 and may stop when I reach .458 haven't decided yet. Haven't found the magic caliber yet but I found some pretty decent rifles!
yeah....I think 12 is enough.
I am always shopping for another gun. I look for one with good quality and features that interest me. Of course the price or value if you will matters a lot.

Today I looked a Kimber 89 over close. It was in good shape with decent walnut however the price was too high at $1500. I would like to play with one but neither do I 'need' it nor is it 'better' than what I have. Its fun to shop and then get a 'new' gun.
We think along the same lines on this subject, I own a .300 WSM, 30.06, .308 Win and a .223 Rem, (I also like the idea of the same bullet diameter just encase I take up reloading again) with these four centerfire rifle's I feel I have the appropriate rifle/cartridge for any and all hunting situations I engage. I also own a couple rimfires for really small game.............547.
I have 63 guns worth enough to buy a new BMW. A few years ago I got insurance for them & figured out the size of my problem. I hunt 45+ days a year & shoot 5 stand weekly so, I use some of my guns. I have 7 30'06's none of which have been in the woods for 5+ years. Last year I hunted with a 257 Roberts by John Lewis, a 308 Remington 7MS, 270 Jarette Beanfield rifle and a 35 Whelen Remington 700ks. 2 years ago I went on a no more dollars in inventory plan and so far this year I have bought $5,000 of guns and sold $5,200 of gun stuff. I can't think of anything I really want but would buy a Fox x grade if I could find 1 that fits.
I only have 1 pair of shoes cause its all I can afford because of all the guns and reloading garb,Dog gone Im sure there has to be a guns annonymus club around here some where by now.......
My rifle count is like my guitar and fishing pole count, not enough!
We all go through this "too many guns"syndrome; it's like a compulsion,and the only real cure is to focus on your "needs",and suppress the "wants".This becomes easier from a hunting standpoint when you discover that another rifle,200 fps. more velocity,and the latest "in" cartridge is not going to transform you into a super marksman or a deadlier hunter than the rigs you already have.

Manufacturers play on insecurities because many lack confidence,and believe ballistic tables and a quarter inch less bolt throw make the 300 WSM a "better" mule deer cartridge than a 270...So we buy another rifle........most of it is BS.
But it's still nice to have a 270 and a 300 WSM for deer hunting right Bob???(grin)
Oh, I suppose so,Sam....and a Roberts grin
(laughin')

Sounds like a plan!
Gonna hunt this fall with the 270 130gr TSX combo alittle more than usual me thinks.To change it up if anything else.
Shamwow....grin
I only need about 30 more hunting rifles, and I would be happy.
Of course, I am not greedy...
whistle
30 more should pretty much cover things Tim...grin
Boy, I hope so, would hate to be 'under gunned.'
(grin)
It seems for me, good things come in three's. I have three pretty good 22s. I have three twelve bores. I have three '06s. I have two big bores. I have only one military rifle, and only one semi target rifle, but I think I must have forgotten a couple, 'cause my 16 rifle safe is full to overflowing. laugh
Those safes have a way of filling up, don't they?
© 24hourcampfire