Home
Subject says it all. Action type/design, bolt throw, barrel length/type, stock design and material, weight, caliber, innovations you would want to have...etc.
Picture says it all

[Linked Image]
Take a Kimber Montana and put a floorplate or DBM on it.

Or take a Sako 85 Finnlight and put a McMillan Rem Classic style stock on it.

A 3rd alternative would be a Ruger stainless in a McMillan Rem Classic style stock.

i'm pretty happy with this one..
winchester classic in 300 wsm in an edge u.l., topped with a luppy 6x.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Here is a really nice custom rifle that I feel warm with. I will practice with it and make it work well for me. What I pleasure it will be handling this beauty.

Its a 1909 Argentine by, we think, Dietrich Apel, with a octagon barrel chambered for the 30-06.
Depends what I'm hunting.....
Big game, .264 WM hands down in a SS Rem 700

As of late I've got a hankering for a SS Rem 700 SA ADL style .223AI with a 1-7 Twist 22" barrel contoured exactly like a LV SF dropped in an edge stock with a Leupold 3.5x10 on DD's.
Do any rifles have a 60-degree bolt throw and a Mauser claw extractor?
A Remington 700 TI action, #2 Hart barrel 1:9 twist 23inch, chamber 280Rem, McMillan Edge stock brown, barrel and action cerakoted black, topped with Talley L/W's and a VX 3 3.5-10x40mm....
This is it for me...

Sako/EDGE/VXIII...

[Linked Image]
SS Classic Fwt Win 70 in an edge. 270 if long action, 7-08 for short action.
Pard has a 270Win in a 700 Ti with a 3.5-10x40 in Talley Lows that I could like a lot too.
Winchester M70, fwt barrel contour, McMillan Edge,Talley's and a Leupy 6X36 like this one...
[Linked Image]
Win. Model 70 with Bartlein fwt contour barrel in .30-06 with a twist that will throw 165 to 200gr. Leupold QR mounts. Weight somewhere close to 7 3/4lbs.

Two stocks:
No.1: McMillen edge.

No.2. Serengeti "TigerCat" style stock.

The fat lady is singing.

My Gander Mtn has a .30-06 700 Ti listed at $1850...it looks just glorious. I love that barrel.
Hard for me to improve on one designed by someone else...

Kimber 7-08 Montana, Talley LW lows, 2.5-8 VXIII with B&C.

It just flat out works.

DJ
LightsOutSix,

What an exercise in Mental Masturbation, but I'll play.

The action would be a short action, but with a 3.10" mag box. The action itself would be a combination of a Sako 85 and Win Mod 70 Classic. What I mean is the mauser claw extractor w/ manual ejection, plus 3 lugs and 60% bolt lift. The safety would be a tang style just like the old original Ruger 77 that locks the bolt, but would have a another switch along side the bolt to unlock it so shells could be removed with the safety on. Further the action would have a dropped mag box that would hold 5 rounds, with hinged floorplate. The floor plate lever would be in front of the trigger guard ala Oberndorf Mauser. The action and all parts would be of stainless steel. Built into the bridge of the action ala Sako would be an full length Weaver type rail.

The barrel would be a 5 grove Fluted #4 contour .650 at the muzzle, 23" long, w/10" twist in .338 caliber. The cartridge would be the new 338 REM SAUM w/ a 200 Grain Barnes TTSX loaded to 2900 FPS and just fit the mag box.

The barreled action would be Cerro Coated in Earth Brown and would be pillar bedded in a dark tan hand layed kevlar stock.

The scope would be the new Zieleupold 1.5-8x43mm w/ illuminated B&C Post and Duplex with CDS Turrets,in Earth Brown and hung on the rifle with Earth Brown Coated Titanium QRW Rings.

That's about it, except I want the rifle to weigh 4 lbs when carried, and 8 lbs when shot, and cost less than $1000.

When can I buy one?????

Bob

I would take a Tikka T3 Lite Stainless in 270 WSM...

Add an HS Precision stock (if they made one)...

Top it off with a Bushnell Elite 6500 2.5x16x42 matte duplex...

On Leupold bases with Burris Signature rings...

With a Harris 9 to 13" bipod...

And a Levy Cobra sling.

Good to go on all North American game, 'cept maybe griz, which I have no desire to hunt anyway.

Originally Posted by Huntr
Winchester M70, fwt barrel contour, McMillan Edge,Talley's and a Leupy 6X36 like this one...
[Linked Image]

About as good as it gets....simple,reliable,no BS hunting rifle and optics to match wink
weatherby MKV action 338-06, woodland (light) camo McMillan Bros. mountain rifle stock w/ steyr style adjustable LOP. EAW quick-lok bases and rings 4.5-14x44 conquest. 22" #3 barrel w/ iron sights.

or just chamber the old SBS tactical light carbine in 338 federal.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Ruger M77 Mk II stainless in 280. McSwirly stock bedded/free floated, trigger at 2 3/4lbs., sandblasted metal, Leupold 6X42 with HD reticle.
Some great rifles posted in this thread.
But, being of an older generation, I gotta go with hunting rifles that are blued, and have genuine Walnut stocks.. grin grin
So, mine would have a VZ 24 action (1938 or 39), a Douglas 23" barrel, chambered in 7x57, AAAA Walnut Stock, Blackburn trigger, and built by Duane Wiebe with all of his trimmings, including scope mounts, and engraving by Roger Kerr. The scope for it would be the Swarovski PF 6x42 that I have now. I think a target weight would be somewhere around 8 pounds, +, or- a few ounces.

Done dreaming... grin

Don
700 SS Mnt Rifle with a barrel contour half way between a Mnt rifle and standard BDL, 22 inches, good syn stock, VXIII 2.5-8 in dual dovetails, in .338-06. Kind of like this one.
[img][IMG]http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m238/Kevin_Teed/33806-1.jpg[/img][/img]
... and then a matching one in 7X57. grin
For my hunting around here, it would be hard to beat a well-built midweight sporter. McMillan Mtn handle in short-ish LOP, 700 or 7 action in matte or SS, 22" or so SS tube of #1 or #2 contour and short shank, ADL setup, 3.5-10x40 or 6x42 with ele turret and low DD's or Talley LW's. Chambering could be 260, 270, 280, 7-08, 25-284, 243AI. I'm very fond of my blue 25-284 with its 23" #2 barrel and MR handle. Starting from scratch, I'd probably go all sandblasted SS and ele M1 turret only. No changes major enough to make me tear this one apart.

[Linked Image]
I'm finding my 700 25-06 in a Edge pretty handy.
I like elevation only too. I carry my gun on the horse way more than I dial windage.
Don,

Here is a recent Duane Wiebe rifle in 375 for our viewing pleasure.

[Linked Image]

Its part of a pair on 1909's including a 300 HH. The engraving is by Roger Kerr.

[Linked Image]
My perfect rifle might be my next build.

Rem 700 Action
24" Douglas Premium 2 contour
Bell & Carlson Medalist stock
Timney Trigger
Talley LW's
Leupold VXII 2-7X33
6.5-06

Originally Posted by Savage_99
Don,

Here is a recent Duane Wiebe rifle in 375 for our viewing pleasure.

[Linked Image]

Its part of a pair on 1909's including a 300 HH. The engraving is by Roger Kerr.

[Linked Image]

Oh, brother....savage, we do not really need to be seeing that stuff. Are you trying to kill Don or what? grin
CLB: I like the cartridge...wish it would go factory wink
One that will shoot a butcher outta the barrel would be nice.
Originally Posted by CLB
My perfect rifle might - is always going to - be my next build.

I can't narrow it down to one caliber but if I could mix/match I'd like to try the following for one I'd be able to do most of my hunting with:

Kimber stainless 84M action.
#2 barrel around 22 inches
Edge/compact stock with edge tech
Talley LW's
VXII 2-7x33 with dots

I like the light weight, rounded, cartridge specific, and blind mag action of the Kimber. I like more barrel weight than the Kimber carries to move the balance more forward. I love the Edge style and weight (the Kimber stock is not bad at all).

...but since McMillan doesn't inlet for the Kimber short action I did it on a M7 chambered in .308 but didn't go blind mag....and I like it just fine at 6.6 lbs.
I use just an old Weatherby .340 mag. for most everthing cause what ever you point it at, it is dead.
Remington has already made mine. The Model 7 in 7mm-08 with a 20" barrel, great for elk and deer at close range in thick timber and great for sheep and pronghorn in the high mountains and open desert.
[Linked Image]
............................blush................................
Posting this pic for Keleb. I assume this is his 25-06.

[Linked Image]

Glad I could help,

David
Oh, Kaleb, nice rig there. I could hunt with that and be happy. Now you just gotta get some pics of the 22-250AI.

Savage, Thanks for nothing. Saw those on AR yesterday and they are two of the most tasteful, most beautiful rifles I've seen. I really love the lines of Duane's stocks.

David
Thanks David. Yes it's my 25-06
Rem 700
Douglas ss #3 24"
TI style bolt by Karl
Edge stock
VXIII w/ M1 ele.
Talley lw
Cerakote
Work done by Mr. Coleman.
Barreled action bought from hrnhntr

Depending on mood it currently would be my 280 CDL with VXIII 3.5-10x40 in talleys.

[img][IMG]http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l198/Rogue280/Picture20090324021.jpg[/img][/img]

Or my 300 shamu 700TI with VXIII 2.5-8x36 B&C in talleys. Both have reworked trigger and are glass bedded.

[img][IMG]http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l198/Rogue280/08282008013.jpg[/img][/img]

Rem Ti action, EDGE or MR McMillan, stainless 22" 1 or 2 contour barrel, VX-III 2.5-8 with M1. Either 260, 7mm-08, 6.5 WSM, or 7mm WSM and I'll be happy.

I could just as easily be content with a Kimber Montana in either 7mm-08 or 7mm WSM.
[Linked Image]

Browning A-bolt II M1000 Eclipse

270WSM

Dednutz " The Game Reaper" one piece scope mount

Shepherd 6x18-40 Scope (yet to come)

I would also like another one in .243 win
Bob,

If factory 6.5-06 loads could be half as good as some handloads they might have something there. A beautiful thing with 125 gr partitions....

CLB
CLB: The last thing I need right now is another rifle... grin

but I have this peculiar itch for a 6.5 "something" crazy
Originally Posted by BobinNH
[Linked Image]

About as good as it gets....simple,reliable,no BS hunting rifle and optics to match wink

Yup, except somehow the pic got flipped around and now the bolt is on the wrong side! grin

Originally Posted by BobinNH
CLB: The last thing I need right now is another rifle... grin

but I have this peculiar itch for a 6.5 "something" crazy

Bob,

Yes you do. CLB and myself are best of friends and hunting partners. The best part of all is he did have a very close match to his ideal but on a Winchester Model 70 action.

He has me doing alot of thinking on the 6.5 caliber so I'm going to say:

6.5-284
Weatherby 6 lug Mark V SS Action
24" SS Douglas or Lilja barrel #3 fluted
Timney trigger
McMillan Swirly(undecided color pattern) in Weatherby design

I also have a fascination with the 257 Roberts so cartridge choice may go there.
[Linked Image]

Sorry for the lack of imagination, but this blueprint in anything from 6.5 Swede to 375 H&H should handle it.

Okie John
They would begin with left handed titanium evolutions of the Model 70 action (or G33/40 Mauser). It would come in 4 action lengths: 2.8", 3.1", 3.4" and 3.7". But it would be a square bridge action that would accommodate a 100% repeatable QD scope ring and base. Then I would build a .257 Roberts, a 7.x57, a 338-06 and a 375 H&H on them. The .257 Roberts and the .375 H&H would be in fine wood stocks, with all the doodads that make for stylish rifles (and coated to be indistinguishable from rust blued). The .257 Roberts would merely be a miniature version of the .375--down to matching stock blanks. The 7x57 and the 338-06 would both be fiberglass/stainless, using the McMillan Echols Legend stock. The 7x57 would be in an EDGE stock and weigh less than 7# all up, the 338-06 would weigh slightly under 8#, both with 22" barrels.

And the action company would promise to never ever make them in right handed so just once we had something that y'all don't get.
Heck, Weatherby did that for me. Its called a MarkIV Ultra Lightweight in 270 Winchester.
I have made a little luck with this . . .

[Linked Image]

Talley LW

Leupold VX-III 3.5-10 w/ B&C

McMillan classic Standard fill Gap Camp

23" PacNor Supermatch #3 contour.

CerraKote by Charley Santoni www.riflestockpainting.com

Stainless Savage Left handed action) in 308.

It shhots 175 grain MatchKings at 2600 fps adn gets first round hits at 600 yards.

It likes 180 grain partitions at 2600 also (4" groups at 285 yards).

Gonna wring it out starting April 1 (Spring Bear).

Might . . . . grin

BMT
I don't have to design my perfect hunting rifle cause it has already been designed, marketed, bought and paid for. Made in Finland by a small company called Tikka, in 1978, M65 in 30-06. Put a Meuller scope Tac II in 3-10X44 with the mil dot reticle. If that one doesn't put a hole in the game at the right place, it's me, and not the rifle. Also got a similar setup to Metsamies except mine is in 300 WinMag with a 3-9x40 Leupold scope on top. One hole shooter with 168 TSX.

Don't need more . . . . . . only want a decent quarter bore, now.
Originally Posted by utah708
They would begin with left handed titanium evolutions of the Model 70 action (or G33/40 Mauser). It would come in 4 action lengths: 2.8", 3.1", 3.4" and 3.7". But it would be a square bridge action that would accommodate a 100% repeatable QD scope ring and base. Then I would build a .257 Roberts, a 7.x57, a 338-06 and a 375 H&H on them. The .257 Roberts and the .375 H&H would be in fine wood stocks, with all the doodads that make for stylish rifles (and coated to be indistinguishable from rust blued). The .257 Roberts would merely be a miniature version of the .375--down to matching stock blanks. The 7x57 and the 338-06 would both be fiberglass/stainless, using the McMillan Echols Legend stock. The 7x57 would be in an EDGE stock and weigh less than 7# all up, the 338-06 would weigh slightly under 8#, both with 22" barrels.

And the action company would promise to never ever make them in right handed so just once we had something that y'all don't get.

AMEN!!! Preach on brother.....grin

Oh, but you can't forget the 30-06!
I could really like a Ruger in 275 Rigby, tang safety but CRF. Fine walnut and rust blue with tasteful gold band where the barrel meets the receiver. Topped with Leupold fixed 6. Fleur de lis checkering. Leather covered recoil pad and skeletonized and checkered grip cap. Tasteful engraving on bottom metal. Like 20%. Leather sling.

A set of triplets like that. One for me, my father and my son.
Now that it's wearing a Leupold and the scope's been lowered, this one does it for me. In 250-3000, naturally.

[Linked Image]
Well, since my leftie 7X57 rated highly, here is it's twin in 30-06. Oh, better mention both were built by our own M70 super smith here at the 'Fire Redneck!
[Linked Image]
Remington 700, Pac-Nor barrel, McMillan Remington Hunter stock, Leupold 6.5 X 20. Chambered for the 7 mm Rem Mag. I use to call it my "campfire" rifle but my deer hunting partner recently re-named it "Thor's Hammer".

[Linked Image]
I want twins (almost):
model 70 classic short actions(stainless would be nice)
nice walnut stocks
Douglas 21" in .358, and a Douglas 23" in 260 AI
the .358 would wear a 1.5-5 VX3 in Talley LW, the 260 AI would wear a Sightron Big Sky 3-12 in Talley LW.
Blued steel and oiled walnut laying across the carcass of a freshly killed whitetail. Yep, that's about as good as it gets!
Oakie: Yes, that's been my blueprint since about 1980,from 270-375.
Remington M7 KS in .350 Remington Magnum from their Custom Shop. But instead of of a carbon steel barreled action it would have to be stainless like the M7 AWR with the whole gun and scope done in black/green Tiger Stripe camo. 18.5" barrel with open sights added. Weaver scope base with Leupold QRW rings and a Leupold VX-III 2.5-8 scope.

That would take care of 90+% of all the big game hunting I do.

Bob
Steyr Professional Model M in .270Win.
Back up irons.
Detach mag.
Set trigger.
Kahles glass.
Warne QD's.

I own others, but noting compares to this one.

I've a pile of them and though chambered in a myriad of offerings,there's a few constants.

None is heavy or long.
Haven't found one that I like more than this one (yet)...

[Linked Image]

Remington 700 SS LA
Rock Creek No. 3 Contour fluted by Karl and finished at 25.5"
1:10 twist
McMillan Mountain Rifle Pattern in Edge fill
ADL
Talley LWs
Leupold VXIII 3.5-10x40
Weighs 7lb 5.7oz
Huntr,

I�m impressed by both your 7x57 and your .30-06 Winchester Featherweights with Edge stocks. Both look like exceptional rifles.

I�ve contemplated building just such a rifle with my mid-1990s Winchester M70 CRF Featherweight in .280 Remington. What I wonder is what the resulting rifle weight would be. My factory wood-stocked Featherweight weighs 7 lbs. 3 oz. without mounts or scope.

Have you weighed your rifles? Do you have any idea what the Edge stocks weigh for these rifles?

Also, did the Edge stocks prove to be pure drop-ins, or did you have a smith bed them and maybe do other work on the barreled actions? If so, what smith (contact info)? Would you recommend him?
Timberline, if I may...my pre 64 M70 06' fwt sits in an edge stock, the stock is 23 oz. with 1" pad, the rifle with talley lw's and leupy 3x9x40 and sling comes to around 7 lbs, 6oz. The stock was a drop in with pretty good fit, but I still did a skim coat bedding.I also have the same rifle in 280AI that sits in a rimrock stock, which was a near perfect drop in, same scope set up and it weighs 5 oz. more, either is a great option.
I'm suprised noone fields a true Classic.

[Linked Image]

Here are my specs for my "go anywhere, do anything" hunting rifle:

Action--FN commercial mauser with a Gentry Model 70 style safety
Chambering--.375 H&H
Stock--Bansner High Tech
Scope--VariX III 2.5-8x (although I have a spare VXIII I may mount as a back up). Naked barrel with no irons.
Mounts--Steel Weaver-style bases with low Zee rings (although may switch to Talleys at some point)
Barrel--Shilen #4 cut to 22 inches
Weight--about 7 5/8 pounds with scope, under 8 pounds ready to go with ammo and sling (the gun weighs a shade over 6.5 pounds "bare").
Finish--All metal on the rifle has a caustic blue finish that mimics rust blue (i.e. light bead blast, wire brush and then blue). The stock is painted black, giving the rifle an all black "business-like" appearance.

The rifle balances just a tad behind the front guard screw and points like a good shotgun. It is not the most accurate rifle I own, but will put 3 270 TSXs or 270 Remington Corelokt's at just under 2700 fps into about 1 inch at 100 yards and will feed loaded or empty .375 H&H ammo like its on ball bearings, so good enough. The most similar rifle to this I have seen are the pictures John Barsness occassionally runs in magazines of his FN .338.

I sort of had this gun built by "accident." I wanted a light weight .375 and called an out-of-state gunsmith acquaintance to discuss possibly building a .375 that "carries like a .338." We discussed specs and he said he had an FN action on hand and could start immediately. I told him I would think about it and forgot the conversation. I guess he misunderstood and a year or so later he called and said my gun was complete and to send a check. Needless to say, it was one of the better gun buying "mistakes" I have made.
Bummer on the Bansner Mouser.
Originally Posted by Timberline
Huntr,

I�m impressed by both your 7x57 and your .30-06 Winchester Featherweights with Edge stocks. Both look like exceptional rifles.

I�ve contemplated building just such a rifle with my mid-1990s Winchester M70 CRF Featherweight in .280 Remington. What I wonder is what the resulting rifle weight would be. My factory wood-stocked Featherweight weighs 7 lbs. 3 oz. without mounts or scope.

Have you weighed your rifles? Do you have any idea what the Edge stocks weigh for these rifles?

Also, did the Edge stocks prove to be pure drop-ins, or did you have a smith bed them and maybe do other work on the barreled actions? If so, what smith (contact info)? Would you recommend him?

Timberline,
All the metalwork for both rifles were done by Redneck here on the 'Fire. And, YES I would and do recommend him often without hesitation. The Edge compacts are as close as you can get to drop in, I have done virtually nothing to either. Matter of fact, I have not even bedded the 30-06, and it has proven to be the most accurate rifle I have ever owned.

Both rifles tip the scales as you see them in the pic's at 7lbs even. The Edge stocks are usually in the 22-24oz range.

Hope that helps!
Id like too see a bright green McMllan,-if any one has one-, im tossing the idea in my mind against citrus/Canary yella...
I had 3 now I have 4. Wish I could make up my mind as to the definition of perfect.
Custom 358 MRC
Semi-custom Model 88 in 338-08
Tried and true Model 99 in 358
[Linked Image]
Then I decided maybe redoing one of my safe queens was the answer. Just got done with this one.
270 Model 700 with new Boyds thumb-hole.
Decisions, decisions, decisions.
[Linked Image]
Sako 85 in a McMillan

[Linked Image]
I'm not sure what quantifies as being "bright",but I have green covered.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v136/BigStick/Stuff/Rifle%20Stuff/NewHalibut223AI.jpg[/img]
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v136/BigStick/Stuff/Rifle%20Stuff/AssembledReturn22-250AI.jpg[/img]
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v136/BigStick/Stuff/Rifle%20Stuff/LTR.jpg[/img]
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v136/BigStick/Stuff/Rifle%20Stuff/SecondhandRose.jpg[/img]
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v136/BigStick/Stuff/Rifle%20Stuff/GAPCamoAnnie.jpg[/img]

Green do vary.

For me it would be a SS/featherweight with a hunters edge.

7-08
7wsm
6.5-284

A NULA 20 in 7WSM that would hold 3 in the belly...
TryMe,

No Bummer. I sent the check and it turned out well. That would probably be the last rifle I would sell.
I have a Howa 1500 SS/Syn 7mm WSM and a Sav 99 in .308. Both float my boat.
Desert',

I savvy. Poor initial investments rate the worst returns and you got yourself painteed into a corner.

Live and learn.
Sako 85,with a 24" 280 barrel by Kreiger,in a Mcmillan stock.

Timberline,
All the metalwork for both rifles were done by Redneck here on the 'Fire. And, YES I would and do recommend him often without hesitation. The Edge compacts are as close as you can get to drop in, I have done virtually nothing to either. Matter of fact, I have not even bedded the 30-06, and it has proven to be the most accurate rifle I have ever owned.

Both rifles tip the scales as you see them in the pic's at 7lbs even. The Edge stocks are usually in the 22-24oz range.

Hope that helps!

Huntr,

That information does help. Thanks.

Exactly what sort of metalwork did you have done on your two rifles? Did Redneck install the stocks or did you simply order them yourself and bolt in place?
Whatya boys deem as "accurate" and how far is "far"?
Originally Posted by TryMe
I'm not sure what quantifies as being "bright",but I have green covered.
Green do vary.

Tm,
I means green n' yella much like we see on these weapons... grin

http://image.motortrend.com/f/misce...06902+cr1+re0+ar1/porsche-911-gt3-rs.jpg

http://damox.com/cars/thumbs/Porsche/2001%20porche%20ruf%20911%20turbo.jpg

Originally Posted by Timberline

Timberline,

Hope that helps!

Huntr,

That information does help. Thanks.

Exactly what sort of metalwork did you have done on your two rifles? Did Redneck install the stocks or did you simply order them yourself and bolt in place?

Lee trued the actions, re-timed (and greatly improved) the safeties, trigger job, and smoothed them up. Both feed very well, as did the 280AI that he built for me. I ordered the stocks.
IMHO,green doesn't seem to "pop" as loudly as blue on a stock handle. Had a couple pretty good pics of some higher vis green gelcoat handles from pards,but cain't find them.

This blue is pretty hot.

[Linked Image]
Here's as close to perfect as there is for the coin...

[Linked Image]

Groups like this aren't uncommon. I've yet to put 3 Partitions into a group even close to MOA laugh These 3 were 165 Partitions at 2755 AVG (46 grains of Varget, Lapua brass, Fed 210M)

[Linked Image]

Allergic to "Erector Sets"

[Linked Image]

Not bad for the last 2 days of season on a "Flatlander Whitetail" Good thing he didn't read the headstamp. Otherwise he might have somehow survived being shot through the heart and lungs with a ballistically inferior 308 frown Also notice all the Blue Tape on the pipe. That makes it two impossibilities rolled into one laugh

[Linked Image]

Just to round out the arsenal, here's the stack of goodies thats waiting for the other Montana to come home with a brand new 260 barrel on it.

[Linked Image]

I'm looking forward to putting the new VXII 2-7x33 with Dotz to use. The dots seem a little clubby for LR use, but then again we're talking about big game here
well here is forest green, black and white...

[Linked Image]
There's a lot of permutations of "perfect" on here,and everyone has great ideas. I like the funky colors on the McMillans.

For me it would depend on the caliber and intended use,but I'd be inclined to start with a pre 64 M70, Dakota or Mauser action,a #1 or #2 Krieger or Bartlein barrel chambered for 270 Winchester or 7 Rem Mag,and a stock by Bansner,McMillan, or Brown Kevlar. I'd have someone like Mark Penrod true everything up and put the whole thing together.

To save a lot of time and trouble, I'd find a pre 64 M70 FW in 270,and drop it in a McMillan Edge,and be done. That's exactly what I'm doing right now...

I like this one.

[Linked Image]
Savage already did that for me in 1899
I'll be generic, as I've designed the several "perfect" rifles that ain't always perfect enough. Of course, everyones tastes and needs are not the same. Here goes...

Great trigger...probably Jewell.
No wood.
No rust.
Minimum caliber that achieves desired results.
Common, established cartridge.
Accurate (duh)

The rest is very subjective and determined by what it's intended use is.
I'm growing partial to this one for whitetail deer type critters.

[Linked Image]

Remington 700, classic take off stock, with a 24 inch Pac-Nor in 25-06 wearing a Leupold 4X12.

She shoots tight, don't kick a-tall, ain't ugly, and kills things right there.
If windage adjustable bases and a 1.5MOA starboard windage drift at your zero range constitute braggin' rights...then I reckon you impress easily.

Oh here we go again. Someone gets giddy with a basket full of tick marks in their SFP glass and are then ready to rewrite the books.

Humors me,that dealing death in the center of the glass escapes some.

7mm-08 Ackley Improved
Rem700 SS SA .473" bolt face
Rock Creek #3 fluted, 22", 1:8.7" twist
Rifle Basix trigger @ 2lbs
McMillan Classic, standard fill, GAP camo
Leupold VX-III 3.5-10x40 matte/duplex w/ CDS turrets
Talley lightweight low rings

(picture isn't up to date, but you get the idea)

[Linked Image]
This one's growing on me.

[img][IMG]http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m238/Kevin_Teed/LVSF308.jpg[/img][/img]

LVSF .308 in a SAUM TI stock, VX-III 2.5X8 in Dual Dovetails.
7.2 lbs as shown, and balances nicely.
Originally Posted by TryMe
If windage adjustable bases and a 1.5MOA starboard windage drift at your zero range constitute braggin' rights...then I reckon you impress easily.

Oh here we go again. Someone gets giddy with a basket full of tick marks in their SFP glass and are then ready to rewrite the books.

Humors me,that dealing death in the center of the glass escapes some.

Okay, we'll adress these one at a time... Fist, on what [bleep] planet is a 1/2" 1 1/2MOA at 100 yards (at least this logic would explain some of your amazing shooting feats) #2, I cranked off those three to see how close 165 Partitions are to the 165 Hornady Interlocks that I run for a utility load (they're about 1/4" higher, and 1/2" to the right) Now instead of click that into my scope for Spring Bear season, I figured that in the 20 years I've been hunting (and 150+ dead big game critters in 4 states and 2 Canadian Provinces) that I'd just live with it. Because, unlike in your imaginary neverland hosted by Photobucket, I actually have spent quite a bit of time in the field and I know that [bleep] like that really ain't all that important. But then again, there is a ton of guys on the net that have zilch in the hunting skills department and DO NEED to shoot animals at 300 yards and further.

Now the bases on the Kimber... The Loopy STDs?? Whats wrong with that set-up? No wait, let me guess... They're weak?? Right?? First off, they don't need to be dumbass logger tight (thats how you pull the bottoms out of the rings with the windage screw.) And TWO... Here's a 3 round group at 200 yards after I bounced that whole set-up off a concrete slab 4 or 5 times. I'm pretty sure the "1.5 MOA off Port zero" at 200 yards was more likely the wind

[Linked Image]

A reticle full of tick marks (or mil-dots) doesn't make you a sniper... Neither does painting a skull-n-bones on the stock. Speaking of writing books... I'm done reading yours. Go piss up a rope. You're clearly a legend in your own mind
Winchester M70 Stainless Steel Short Action:

Pre-War rear tang
Checkered bolt release button
Pre-'64 bolt and handle
Old style trigger
One piece Obrendorf bottom metal (includes mag box in the one piece)

#2 contour 23" fluted barrel
.284 Winchester
McMillan Edge (Maybe shadowline cheek piece)
Talley's stainless screw-locks
Fancy shmancy Swaro glass
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

.30-06

Weighs in at 7.75, with a belly full of 168s, slung, and all up

700 SPS SS, bolt fluted, hunter knob installed, all metal aluminum oxide blasted by Kampfeld.

Bansner painted by Rick Bin.

Talleys.

FX-III 6x42, BC caps.

Can't recall on the sling, but it's set hasty, and I can like it.

R-P, WLR, RL-15 (54 with the Hornady; 53 with the TTSXs), moly 168 Hornady HPBT Match (practice); moly 168 TTSX (season).

Think it needs CDS turrets, though.
This will be boring...my Win/p64 Featherweight in 30/06.Keep it's tank full,it runs forever.....rifle
VAnimrod, I remember when you finished that one a few years back. Fine looking gun!

Terry
Nice one, VA!
Kimberman, I had PacNor build me a 358 Win on a M70 Classic FWT. What a sweeeet rifle. Lou
VAnimrod,
Yep, I remember that rifle as well! Much to like there, too bad it's not a Winchester.... grin

Super rifle!
© 24hourcampfire