Home
I have a leupold VX 3 2.5 x 8 scope.
I have tried the leupold rings and mounts for my tikka T3.
These mounts did not allow the scope to move back quite far enough.

Do some better quality mounts have inserts to prevent marks on the scope?

I want a good set up. Do not care on cost. It is for my 1 go to gun.
I tossed the tikka rings and put warne rings on mine.The pin is removeable so you are not forced to use it.
The Tikka Optilock's

I always use the Dednutz one-piece mounts, I just flat out like them.

[Linked Image]
The standard Tikka rings work well on my T3.
Leo two pc bases # 54447 and Burris Signature med matte rings and toss the T3 factory rings in the trash......
Without that peg he can mount the ring futher back although I would have thought it would have been fine forward with the peg.
I use Talley's on my T3 300WM and they work great!
There are several alternatives to the tikka factory mounts.
A little heavy the Warne mounts are rock solid and come fixed or quick release.
If you want to save some weight you can�t beat the Talley�s light and strong or Game Reaper�s 1 piece mounts are also very light and work great.

I use all of the above and they all work great!
I like the factory rings, just as light as a set of talley lightweights, they also line up very very strait when mounting the scope
Originally Posted by tikkanut
Leo two pc bases # 54447 and Burris Signature med matte rings and toss the T3 factory rings in the trash......

Yep! Works like a hot damn.

If a flat or 20 moa picatinny style rail interests you, that's an option too.

http://egw-guns.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=221
I'm running low Talley LW's on my T3 25-06 with a VXIII 3.5-10x40 - have eye relief to spare.

You can reverse the fronts on these to mount the scope further back. If your T3 is a long action, you might want to go extended.

The Talleys are such a natural on a light rig, and plenty strong IME.

DJ
I use Talley steels on all my T3's....lots of wiggle room and they are a very solid unit.

I'll not look elsewhere if I've got a new T3 to set-up............
Originally Posted by DJTex

If your T3 is a long action, you might want to go extended.

All T3's are built using the same long action, doesnt matter about caliber.

As for the original question, I used the exact scope on an old T3 of mine and never could get to sit exactly right for me either. I tried the stock rings, switched to Leupold bases & rings, the Talleys and ended up with the Warne's. The Warne;s were the closest I could get but unfortuneatly they are also the heaviest.

I really think it is just an unfortunate combo of the ring spacing for the scope and where the bases are drilled on the top of the action on this particular rifle.Hope you can get it right.
Drill a hole for the stop pin on the rear bridge, use the front ring on the back, and place the rear ring wherever you want on the front receiver ring.
the Tikka factory rings have soft screws. Talley lightweights are all I buy now - love um
They are not too soft if you use proper torque.
Originally Posted by tjkanavel
Originally Posted by DJTex

If your T3 is a long action, you might want to go extended.

All T3's are built using the same long action, doesnt matter about caliber.

As for the original question, I used the exact scope on an old T3 of mine and never could get to sit exactly right for me either. I tried the stock rings, switched to Leupold bases & rings, the Talleys and ended up with the Warne's. The Warne;s were the closest I could get but unfortuneatly they are also the heaviest.

I really think it is just an unfortunate combo of the ring spacing for the scope and where the bases are drilled on the top of the action on this particular rifle.Hope you can get it right.

Talk about my brain being out to lunch - that's been one of my few criticisms of the T3's for years. Maybe I should stop posting after my bed time...grin...

DJ
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
I like the factory rings, just as light as a set of talley lightweights, they also line up very very strait when mounting the scope

Same here....use the factories on my 2 T-3's and love 'em.
© 24hourcampfire