Home
Posted By: SuBmoa Long or short barrel - 04/24/09
I'm having trouble with this, i ask people if it is better to have a long barrel or a short one and everyone has something different to say. what do you think? Is it better to have a longer barrel than a shorter barrel?
Posted By: TryMe Re: Long or short barrel - 04/24/09
Build for balance,the rest will fall into place.
Posted By: KDF Re: Long or short barrel - 04/24/09
I've struggled with that in the past also! I've pretty much decided to do 30" barrels on everything. wink
Posted By: SuBmoa Re: Long or short barrel - 04/24/09
What?
You are in well over your head...kick back towards the shallow end,before it is too late.
Uhmmm, Long or short?
[bleep] floats,you'll be OK.
Oh my god!
Posted By: mathman Re: Long or short barrel - 04/24/09
Is it better to have a longer barrel than a shorter barrel?

That's something to be decided after many other things are already settled. By itself the question is nearly meaningless.
im not getting the picture, ive decided on the gun i want but the barrel is 22" is that too short
Posted By: Rman Re: Long or short barrel - 04/24/09
What rifle, and what calibre?

R.
sako 85 finnlight, 30-06
Posted By: mathman Re: Long or short barrel - 04/24/09
22" is plenty for getting most of the ballistic capability of a 30-06. As mentioned before, the overriding consideration is balance. Does the rifle handle the way you want it to?
Posted By: Rman Re: Long or short barrel - 04/24/09
As above. That rifle should balance an inch or so from the front of the trigger guard. Nice rifle, lots of barrel.

R.
Ok I gotta sell my rem m700 so i have money
Posted By: Vic_in_Va Re: Long or short barrel - 04/25/09
It should be in seven em em
Posted By: bigsqueeze Re: Long or short barrel - 04/25/09
Originally Posted by SuBmoa
I'm having trouble with this, i ask people if it is better to have a long barrel or a short one and everyone has something different to say. what do you think? Is it better to have a longer barrel than a shorter barrel?
........Depends on the how, the where and what the rifle will be used for and the personal preferences. You should also know the advantages with a shorter barrel and the dis-advantages.

The only real or main advantage for a longer barrel vs a shorter one is added velocity. A longer barrel does not necessarily mean better accuracy, but on the other hand, shorter barrels can be inherently more accurate because they have less barrel length to writhe, vibrate or resonate due to their shorter lengths.

Shooting from the bench, the shorter tubes will heat up faster than the longer barrels, which is why I take at least 2 to 3 minutes in-between my shots with my compact Ruger. And, I certainly don`t do any rapid fire while on any hunt.

Yes! They will be noisier. But all this biz about additional muzzle flash is over-rated and over exaggerated hype. My 300 WSM compact has no noticeable daytime muzzle flash and I don`t hunt in low light or in darkness anyway.

If you`re thinking of a shorter barreled rifle, certain cartridges imo, are well suited and are great performers from the shorter tubes without sacrificing too much velocity to the longer barrels. The overall velocity loss difference between my rifle and two 24" 300 WSMs I`ve tested, was only 4.2% to 4.5% using identical loadings.

Where the shorter barreled rifles really excel is with their carrying ability, handling in the field, manuverability in their quickness to point, manuverability as truck guns, saddle guns, as stand guns and are better suited for the thicker timbers and brush. When the rifle is slinged on my shoulder, the muzzle is well below the top of my head which is great in the brush. I can also carry the rifle by its pistol grip, with my arm down at my side, with the muzzle well above the ground when pointed at the ground.

I happen to really enjoy carrying around and hunting with a 35.5" long rifle that has the performance of a 26" barreled 30-06 AI which is about 11" longer in OAL.

I`ll gladly compromise a little velocity along with having a louder report, in return for more important advantages.

In any discussion between longer vs shorter barrels, velocity loss is the top subject of conversation. Most criticize the shorter tubes because of what is automatically perceived as an enormous amount of velocity loss, which is simply not true. Maybe in the `ol days, but not anymore with todays more modern and refined powder technology.

Posted By: bigsqueeze Re: Long or short barrel - 04/25/09
As a further thought. If you had in mind going from say a 24" barrel down to a 22" er, you`re not really exploiting any real true advantages of the shorter barrel. Might as well stay with a 24 inch. To really take advantage of the benefits I mentioned above, the maximum barrel length should be no more than 20" long and imo preferably shorter. A 20" barrel will reduce the rifle OAL by at least 4 inches.
I've got two Ruger 77 Compacts. They have 16.5" barrels. They are my FAVORITE bolt guns for hunting. They pack extremely well.
Virgil B.
Posted By: twodogs Re: Long or short barrel - 04/25/09
22" barrel is good for me. I have a 23" a couple 24" and a 26" and they bang on the safe, the other guns in the safe, the furniture and the truck doors plus they get hung on fences and brush and everything else.

24", 26", and + may have a place, but not with me. I'll keep the one's I have but I'm not especially looking for any more. To say I'm a klutz is an understatement but these days I just don't need long barrels.
Posted By: Tracks Re: Long or short barrel - 04/25/09
SuBmos, You don't want a barrel longer than the distance from your shoulder to your wrist.
That way, when you put the barrel in your mouth, you can still reach the trigger.
Do you really think this BS is clever?

BTW, you're no kid, your question indicates you have been here a while. That makes you even worse. From a kid I could understand this stupid [bleep].
Posted By: RDFinn Re: Long or short barrel - 04/25/09
im not getting the picture, ive decided on the gun i want but the barrel is 22" is that too short

Depends on how log your arms are. If you can reach the trigger with the barrel in your mouth, you're good to go.
Originally Posted by RDFinn

Depends on how log your arms are. If you can reach the trigger
with the barrel in your mouth, you're good to go.

Great minds work alike. grin
Didn't read through the thread but I suspect many have had enough of little boy Darren. At least Lee24 does a much better job of tactical Googling before posting than this kid.
Originally Posted by RDFinn
Didn't read through the thread but I suspect many have had enough of little boy Darren. At least Lee24 does a much better job of tactical Googling before posting than this kid.

It's no kid. Whoever it is knows all the keys to discussions here.
He is no different than the last one. Maybe another old timer trying to return the same way. He has troll status now and no matter who he is that is what he will stay (like the last one)
Well you could be right. An adult off his/her meds. The "keys" are easy,............Remmmy "Sucks" 700, McMillan, PN, Talley, Leupold, TSX, 7mm, Leica, Meindl, G.Loomis, Marmot, Shimano, Ingram, Toyota Crummy.......................did I miss any..............

Roy
© 24hourcampfire