Home
I just took delivery of a new Sako 85 stainless/laminate. I plan on getting a new scope soon, but am wondering what the best way to mount it is. I like the looks of the Optilock rings by Sako, but it seems hard to find them in X-Low (which is what I'd need).

I've also heard good things about Talley bases/rings and Leupold ringmounts for this gun. Does anyone have experience with any of these systems? Which is best?

The rifle is chambered in .338 Federal and will get a low-power variable scope in the 1.5-5 to 2.5-8 range.
Warne ringmounts is the superior way to do it, IMHO.
I love the Optilockring and bases, and have them on all my Sako m75 & Tikka T3 rifles except for 1 - where my gunsmith installed the new style Optilock Ringmounts. The r & b set up will give you extra low rings. I find them too low for me and the LOWS are perfect for my Leupold scopes.

The new style ringmounts are swwet too.

Stick to the Optilocks-either setup IMO.
Are the Warne ringmounts nice and low?
Used Conetrol Daptar bases & rings to mount a 50mm objective scope on my Sako 85 Finnlight. With the low rings, I have 1/16 in. clearance between the bell & barrel. I have the Leupold ringmounts on a 75 Finnlight. Have not had a problem with them, but plan on switching to Conetrols on this gun as well. Just like the streamlined look of them.
Another vote for the optilocks
i have two M-85's one with a 6x42 and the other with 3.5x10 (40mm) both are in Luepold medium mounts and have no issues with either.
The new style Optilock Ringmounts are really nice, a bit pricey, but nice.

g
I've had good luck with Optilocks, Talleys and Conetrols on Sako 75s. I lean toward Talleys as my favorites, but the Optilocks are a very close second.
Warne ringmounts is the superior way to do it, IMHO.

Why would that be?
GeoW, where did you find your Optilock Ringmounts & can you get them in stainless?
If you like to keep your scope as low as possible the Optilock's are too high with the scopes you mention there will be 3/8" to 1/2" gap between the scope and the barrel. Leupold mediums are about right for me and I have a VX3 2.5-8.
Originally Posted by Bill_N
If you like to keep your scope as low as possible the Optilock's are too high with the scopes you mention there will be 3/8" to 1/2" gap between the scope and the barrel. Leupold mediums are about right for me and I have a VX3 2.5-8.

I read somewhere the X-Low Optilock ring mounts are OK, but the rest can be a bit high for all but the largest of objective diameters. My objective will be more than likely 32mm...36mm at most.
Warne.
Originally Posted by CREDITMAN
GeoW, where did you find your Optilock Ringmounts & can you get them in stainless?

Optilock

This is where I found mine, I went with the 1" blue low.

g
Yes available in stainless..thats what I got installed but then I had them powdercoated metallic gunmetal grey to match the Leupold scope.
Optilock LOWS are perfect on my Synthetic 85.

[Linked Image]
Betta go wit da OptiLocks! Trust me!
© 24hourcampfire