Home
I'm finally down to a couple of rifles now, down from more then fifteen at one time. I don't know if I should be sad or happy. I've had three weatherbys mark V, many remingtons from .22 to .375 H&H. A few rugers, A Howa(vanguard), 2 sakos(finnlight and almost forgot about my .243 forrester), 2 tikka, A few very old savages. A couple of winchesters. Can't forget about the black rifles, bushmaster, S&W and sig. These are the calibers I've had the honor of shooting and owning .308 winny, .270 winny, 7remmag, .223, .222, 7mm-08, .243, 6mm, .22 hornet, .300 weatherby, .375 H&H, .22-250, .270 wsm, .300 wsm, 7mm stw, 6.8spc and probably a few I've forgot on my short 32 years on this earth. My two perfect rifles are my New Kimber montana in .308 winny wearing a Leupold vx-3 3.5-10x40 and a remington .270 sf in A Hs Precision stock wearing a Kahles 4-12x52mm. Out of all of the rifles I've owned I've decided these two are perfect rifles/calibers for me. I hunt exotics, hogs, Texas WT deer, out of state mule deer and maybe one day elk. With either one of these rifles I would'nt feel underguned on even the biggest elk. I've went from small calibers to big bangers back to medium again. For my use these are my perefect rifles even though a plethora of other rifles/caliber will work with excellent results!!! What's your favorite two rifles if you had to pick only two??

Thanks for reading

Shane

[Linked Image]
My .308 winny Montana is a perfect packing rifle that has shown outstanding accuracy for a light rifle using cheaper ammo.
[Linked Image]

My .270 winchester SF has shown great accuracy with remington 130 grain CL and Hornady 130 grain SP.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

if I could only have 2 it would be the .270 and the 7mm rem mag.
I can feel your pain. I feel sorry for you. Only two rifles. That is a shame. Perhaps you can get a few more when the economy improves.
Sometimes I wish that I could get down to just 1 or 2!
It would simplify a lot of things.

If I were to.....308 and 22LR...may change tomorrow!

FWIW

Wes in AZ
Originally Posted by Rolly
I can feel your pain. I feel sorry for you. Only two rifles. That is a shame. Perhaps you can get a few more when the economy improves.

I dunno .... I can understand the desire for only two (or one), assuming I don't have to count a varmint rifle as one of those two smile
Only two rifles from circumstance is a shame,

only two rifles by informed opinion, I can relate too.

Only two would be:

DWM 98 in .30-06
DWM 98 in .458 Win.

Only one would be:

DWM 98 in 9,3x64

Have taken Roe deer, fallow deer, wild boar and brown bear with this last one and am confident I could get all else done in hunting.

That said - I am happy for choices and find myself disagreeing with me all the time. My love for the Marlin .45-70 just bears that out.
If only 2.My STW and the 300 Win.But gonna hunt hard with a 270 this fall.
Three is easy, two would be very tough. The intelligent decision would be my twin 223AI and 280AI Stainless/McMillan customs on M700 actions. But my old pre-64 fwt 30-06 is probably the last rifle I would ever let go; I've had it 15+ years and have hunted a lot with it.

I get a rimfire as well, right? grin
Whcih two rifles, that's easy for me. I;'ve hunted with both for 2 decades or more, have built strong relationshipw with them and I trust them. I call it rifle intimacy...

My old 700 magnum action, Brown African walnut, 4-14 Leo with Premier dota to 700.

And, my G33/40, in an Edge fill McMillan, Lilja #1, 6x36 Leo with LR dotz.

Both have been there done it with me and will continue to do so for the rest of my life.

I don't mind playing rifle loony here and there with a rifle (mesning buy it, play with, and sell it in a couple of years without building a relationship with it) but for the most part i only care to have an honest rifle that I am very intimate with.

Just my way

Dober
Which two?
One is super easy- my Wby. MkV Fibermark, in .257 Wby, which I've had and used for the past 25 years. It now wears a Leupold 3.5x10, 50 mm.

#2- guess it would be my custom pre'64 M70, in .280 Rem., with its Leupold VX3 2.5x8.
If I could only have one it would easily be my standard pre-64 M70 .30-06 SPRG. However, having two really changes (and complicates) the choice; for anything I will ever hunt my pre-64 M70FW in .270 WIN, coupled with my M70 Classic in .338 WIN MAG would work. But then so would my M88 in .308 WIN and the .338 WIN MAG, or maybe the M70 post 64 in .225 WIN, paired with the .30-06 SPRG - heck I better stick with 8 or 12 rifles.
Not counting 22RF

Model 70 in 30-06, barrel cut to 22". Robar coated metal and Bansner stock. Leupold VariX III 3.5-10x40 interchangeable with a Leupold Model 8 4x. Weaver bases and rings.

Model 70 Fthrwt 223 with Leupold VariX III 2.5-8x36 & Tally ltwts.
my custom rem. 700 in 6.5x55 and my rem 700 ks 280. both where a 4.5x14 leupold
Originally Posted by Bighorn
Which two?
One is super easy- my Wby. MkV Fibermark, in .257 Wby, which I've had and used for the past 25 years. It now wears a Leupold 3.5x10, 50 mm.

#2- guess it would be my custom pre'64 M70, in .280 Rem., with its Leupold VX3 2.5x8.

If you decide you don't want your 280 as one of your two, I'll take it!
.223 and the 7x57 ( duh!)
Ingwe
My 2 would be my Grandfathers Model 721 in 270 and a Rem 700 in 300 RUM
HHHMMMM!!!

Being a lefty, I am somewhat limited.

.22lr bolt action on the little end.

A pair of .270's for everything else. One for rainy days and one for sunny days ( blue & stainless).

If I need anything any bigger, it will probably be on the "Dark Continent" and if I can afford to go there, I can afford to get a bigger thumper.

Curly
I would start with my Ruger 270 win. I can kill anything I will ever prabably have a chance to kill with it. Then I would probably chose the 280AI I want to build next year.
Custom Win M70's in 7X57 and 30-06. That is exactly what I have now! Oh, and I have one other custom M70 in 30-06, a man needs variety you know.... grin
Mine would be a 257 Roberts and a 30-06

ddj
Probably this one... (308)
[Linked Image]

And this one (260)
[Linked Image]
If only two, I would go with the .270 Win and 300 WSM.

If I had to go with only one, it would be the 7 Rem mag.

I'm liking my Cooper Model 52 in a 25-06 with a Leupold 4-12x40 Leupold and my Tikka T3 Lite in a 300WM and a Leupold 4-12x40. Pretty much have everything covered.
Tikka Laminate/SS.308 and Savage American Classic.243
Remington 700CDL SF in .30-06 and a Remington 700 Boone & Crockett in .30-06.
I did exactly this over the past few months. I'm down to just my two centerfire rifles; a custom Rem 700 .264 Win Mag w/ blue printed action, long throat(as of yesterday), 27.5" Lilja #3 1:9, maple stock, glas bedded, teflon coated, etc. And my custom 700 .358 Norma Mag with 24" Douglas #3 barrel, 1:12 twist, glass bedded green w/ black B&C Alaska Hunter II stock, Shilen trigger, etc.
Pretty much got most the world that I'm likely to see covered with these two rifles for now.
.308 Finnlight, .338 XCR, done.
If forced to only have two they would be:

#1 Remington 700 25-06 Hill Country Rifle Stainless/synthetic
#2 Remington 700 Classic 338 win. mag (H-S Precision sporter stock arriving shortly)
I could do it in only one if we're talking big game:

my Win FWT 30-06 synthetic blind magazine. Similar to Dober, I've run it since 1994 without a hitch of any kind. It gets the job done every time without me having to put any thought into it.

Why I keep hunting for others is beyond me...but the affliction/addiction continues.
my 2 favorites are a 270 win (rem 700 bdl s/s) and my ruger mk2, blue/wood in 30-06. if down to only one it would be the 30-06.
I'd be ok with my two M700 30-06s. One is a heavy long range precision rig, the other a sporterweight.

Between the two they cover a lot of ground, and would really simplify my reloading logistics.
I thought I was doing well to get down to a Kimber 22 lr, an XR100 in 20 VT, DWM 1908 in 7x57 and FN Colombian in 404 with an AYA 12G sxs.. That is rock bottom. I couldn't do just two.

Von Gruff.
I could get by with my older Tikka M65 in 30-06 and a Ruger 1022, but I have a new love in the Marlin 1895 and 45-70. Add to that a real tack driving 300 win mag, and an older 303 British, and a 22 Browning trombone. Tough to pick two only.
Many of us could get by for the rest of our lives with just one good rifle in 30-06 (or .270win!). Sometimes I think about just that, selling all of them, and buying three NULA's one in .223 Remington, one in 257 roberts, and one in 30-06 and three identical Z6 riflescopes then go hunting and forget about gun loonyism.
Rem 597 auto in .22mag and Weatherby Vanguard in .300Wby. They will do it all in North America. Good luck.
Two is tough..
One would be a 7x57.
The other would be a 222 Rem Magnum.
I'd have an awfully hard time narrowing my safe down to two deer rifles. Some have quite a bit of sentimental value, even though they seldom get used.

The two that most often get reached for are.

Remington Model 7 in 7mm-08 paired with a Leupold 2-7. That's what goes along with me more often than not. If the games a little heavier or the reach is expected to be a little longer than out comes my Ruger MKII 7mm mag with a Leupold 4.5-14.

Feel more than comfortable taking along one or the other for pretty much anything I'll ever get a chance to hunt in the lower 48.
its a tie between my 308 steyr carbine and my browing blr.
and the custom 17" barreled marlin...
and the 270 weatherby MKV DLX.

and the 376.

and the mannlicher classic 308.

AHHHHH!!!!
now way to pick 2...
Not considering varmints & dangerous game............

My 700 Ti 7-08 is #1

For #2 it'd be a toss up between my 700 KS 270 Win, my Ti stocked 700 Mt. Rifle in 280, or my Edge stocked Win. M-70 Classic in 30-o6.

I wouldn't be a bit unhappy about being limited to any 1 for the 4 rifles.

But I have the luxury of not having to make that choice, at least not yet.

MM
For medium/large game only ...

Remington 700 stainless in .338. If I hunted mostly open country then the 2nd would be a Sendero in 7mm mag or 7mm STW, if I hunted more heavy cover I'd have to choose between a marlin lever action .45-70 and a Kimber montana .308.

If I were including varmints in there ..

Remington 700 Ti in .300 Win Mag and a 700 VSSF II in .204.

Or else maybe ... smile

Tom
Originally Posted by spiwonka
What's your favorite two rifles if you had to pick only two??

Only 2? I hope it never comes to that but definitely my .375 (built on a commercial Mark X action). For the second probably my .243 (built on a 98 Mauser).
I'm down to 2 7-08's - that's about the best I can seem to do...grin.

Do have a Kimber and a Remmy - so I agree on that part of the combo.

DJ

This one .50 cal.B/P (BH 209)

[Linked Image]

and this one my 30-06

[Linked Image]
One would be my 6.5x284 Serengeti and the other my Cooper in .223. Or maybe the Colt Elite, or the Dtech 243 WSSM, or......this is kinda hard! grin
One would be a .300 Wby, the other a 220 Swift. And no plastic stocks, please.
We are talking about 2 hunting rifles, leaving out a 22lr and a semi-automatic black rifle in 5.56x45 NATO. I would go with a Beretta Mato Synthetic in 30-06 with a Burris Signature Select 3X-10X-40mm scope with the Ballistic Plex reticle with Talley detachable rings and bases. The second would be a Remington 700 VSSF in 223 with a Burris Black Diamond 4X-14X-50mm scope with the Ballistic Mil-Dot reticle and target turrets installed with Burris Dual Dovetail bases and Burris Signature rings.
I only own two deer caliber rifles - Savage 111 in .30-06 and a Marlin 336 in .30-30
25-06 and 300 Win Mag
I like my pair for all the hunting I'm likely to do. A commercial mauser actioned 7x57 with 24" barrel and a commercial mauser actioned 9.3x62 with 21" barrel. The 7 wears a Loopy 2.5x8 and the 9.3 wears a Loopy 4x. Of coarse they are both backed up with commericial mausers in 338 winny mag, 24" and the great 30-06 with 22" barrel. The beauty of it all, ANY of the four could likely do everything I need a rifle to do. It sure is nice to have choices. Now to decide on which two will go to Africa in 2011. I'm thinking the first pair. Les
Being that I only own two CF rifles, I guess it'd be those two! wink I have a Rem 700 223 AI and a Ruger MKII 338 Win Mag. I don't think there's anything that I'll ever hunt that I couldn't do with those two. If the picks were just for big game, I'd pair either a 270 or 30-06 with the 338 and call it good.
My CDL 35 Whelen and right now a hybrid Remington 700 270 Winchester. The 35 Whelen has been bedded, floated and had a trigger job. The 270 has a TI stock(old style), the alaskan ti barrel, the action squared up and the lugs lapped. The bolt is going to Kampfeld for the TI look. I may sell that one after its done(?). The 35 goes 7.8 lbs scope and rings, 270 goes 7.2 lbs scope and rings. Oh 270 is bedded and free floated also and trigger job.
my Ruger MkII in 257 bob and either my Savage model 99 in 300 Savage or my Marlin 336 in 30-30. I'm assuming we're talkin big game cartridges and 22 rimfires dont count
A .270 Winchester and a .35 Whelen.
Just two? That's almost too tough but I'd go with a Remington 700 Alaskan Ti in .300 WSM and a .243 of some sort, maybe a new Winchester Mod 70 Extreme weather. Narrowing down to 4 would be a little easier........................547.
Although I've been through many, the only two centerfire rifles I own at the moment are a .308 and 25-06AI. Both shoot as accurately as any rifle on earth and I can hardly imagine ever needing more.

I try to keep down to two of each type.

2 Varmint
2 22's
2 deer rifles

then 2 of anything I think I need.
Don't think I could make do with just 2 rifles, but you know I think it would be an easier decision during hunting season as to which rifle I would take. Probably one of of the 4 30.06 rifles that I have. Beware of the man with just one or in this case 2 rifles.
I'm pretty happy with a 308 Guide Rifle and a M700 in 300 Winmag . The 308 does the trick on TN whitetails and the 300 is hard to beat in the Rockies. I use the heck out of my muzzleloader here in TN though.
For big game, I like my Sako 85 laminate/stainless in .338 Federal and the Winchester Model 70 Featherweight I just ordered from FN in .25-06.

I'm recoil-sensitive and these two will get the job done on anything I'm likely to ever hunt and they won't hurt my shoulder.

For smaller critters (under 400 lbs) in open country, the .25-06 gets the nod. For those same critters in tight quarters or larger game anywhere, the .338 Fed takes care of business.
Of the rifles I have in my pocession right now I think I'd keep my 257 AI on a Czech Mauser action which is a great varmint and deer rifle, and my Mauser M-1996 Straight Pull rifle in 30-06 Springfield.

If, on the other hand, we were talking theoretical or "dream" rifles I'd likely keep the 7x57 I have in the works right now. Its being put together on a Mexican SR'98 action w/ a 23" 1-in-9" #3 Shilen, a Dakota 3-position "model 70 style" safety, beautiful walnut stock reconfigured with ebony foreend cap and grip cap, and cut checkering by Tim Smith-Lyon, 2-7x33mm Leupy VXII in talley lightweights. I purchased this rifle from TJ3006 over a year ago and anticipate it being in my pocession in March of '10.

In that case, the "other" action my 'smith has on hold for me would come into play. An Interarms Mark X with a 24" light-taper Hart or Krieger, topped w/ NECG custom front and rear sights, chambered to 338-06 AI with a McMillan handle and blind mag to save weight. On top would be a Leupy VXIII 3.5-10 in Talley QDs. All finished in flat black Cerakote.

I don't think that for NA light game you can beat the 7x57 for a "do it all" rig. For heavier I think the 338-06 is hard to beat. Together they'd make the perfect combination.

I do have to say, however, that whatever issues such a question as this brings up has less to do with theoretical rifles I'd not be able to buy than it does with the thought of selling rifles I'm thoroughly attached to, like the Win '94 30 WCF my aunt & uncle bought me for my 17th birthday, and that staight-pull '06 that feels like my right arm when I shoot her.

Thank goodness this is just a theoretical exercise or I'd be an emotional wreck wink .
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Although I've been through many, the only two centerfire rifles I own at the moment are a .308 and 25-06AI. Both shoot as accurately as any rifle on earth and I can hardly imagine ever needing more.
(emphasis added)

Who said it was anything about "need"? wink
If I had to choose 2 they would be my M600 Remington in .308 Win. and a M70 Win. Classic Super Express in 375 H&H. That M70 would replace my current Interarms Mark X 375 H&H. Those guns would cover any game inside of 300 yds.
Rem 700 in .223
Rem 7 in .308
Rem 700 in .375 Ruger

2 is crazy I need 3
close: grin
Rem 700 - 223
Rem 700 - ought-six
Rem 700 - 375 h&H

Originally Posted by lovesmesomeguns
Rem 700 in .223
Rem 7 in .308
Rem 700 in .375 Ruger

2 is crazy I need 3

2 only for big game?

OK

MKV WBY Ultralight 270 WBY
MKV Classicmark II 416 WBY.
I could get by with my 700 Mtn Rifle in .280 Rem and 700 Classic in .35 Whelen.
Having a .223 to go with them would be nice!
Groundhogs with the .35 would get interesting really quick!
I'm down to one rifle now, so I need another one (gave the rest to my two sons). All's I have is my 500 Jeffrey, I need a nice light rifle like a 300 Weatherby to go along with it, or maybe just a little 7mm Rem Magnum ....

smile

Chuck
Chuck
Have you considered a 204 Ruger?

haw haw maybe the recoil would be too much.

Randy
At this point I won't go down to two rifles. I read a post here recently that stated the member is down to 2 or 3 rifles because it is more about the hunt now than the rifle. I wish it could be that way but having moved to a new state,taking on a new mortgage and college around the corner for my kids "the hunt" as it were will have to wait. The rifles fill the void as best they can for the time being!!!
Those are great lookin' rifles!!

For me, I'm perfectly content with the 223Rem and 270Win.... cool
i Personally only have 3
i have a weatherby mark 5 sporter chambered in 300 weatherby mag
a winchester model 70 chambered in 243
and my winchester model 94 30-30
Shane, them rifles sure look nice. Being a poor fella I felt fortunate when I was able to purchase two new rifles. Both Marlin XL7's and both in .270 Winchester for a little over $300.00 each. Put two Sightron scopes on them. The action is smooth and the trigger is great. For being inexpensive rifles I am happy that they shoot just as good as yours using the cheaper Core Lokt ammo. I really like the Core Lokt bullets. In my younger years I ran the course from 30-30, 6.5x55, 30-06, .35 Whelan and .338 Win. Mag. I then discovered the .270 Winchester. A better do it all cartridge is hard to find for use in the lower 48. Good luck with your future elk hunt! I have seen Roosevelt elk knocked flat with 130gr power points from a .270 Winchester. Course I have seen them downed with 30-30's and a 6.5 Japanese also. It's just where ya hit them that counts. Those are pretty rifles you have there. Good hunting!!
Nice rifles everyone and Thanks Mysticman44. This past week I was at a Acadmey and walked by the rifles and saw a price tag for 298. I asked the boy behind the counter to look at it and said it was a Marling XL7. I was pretty impressed what you get for 300. Reminded me of a Savage/REmington cross. Very smooth action and good trigger. I've done a little research on them and seems everybody is pretty happy with them. They seem to shoot very good on top of the great price. To me it seems to be just as good as a Vanguard for 100 bucks less!! I've had a few of them and they always shot good. My Father and I are fixing to go in on halfs and buy my younger brother A XL7 for his b-day. He keeps borrowing our rifles and they come back beat to heck. I've been looking around and to me they seem like a very, very good deal.
Easy.
Knight KP1 Whitetail SS .270Win and .50x209
Model 74 Winchester .22 that I inherited from my granddad.
Two big game rifles? That I have at the moment?

1. .30-06 M70 SS "All Terrrain" FW, 2.5-8x36 Leupy & iron sights.

2. .338 Win M70 SS Classic w- McMillan stock, 2.5-8x36 Leupy
& iron sights.

-Backup k4 Weavers for both.

Pretty Boring though.
Originally Posted by spiwonka
What's your favorite two rifles if you had to pick only two??

Two guns ...... 270Win and a 375Magnum
One gun ....... 270Win
For just big game hunting...

Remington Custom Shop M7-KS in .350 Remington Magnum... This would be blackened stainless like the M7 AWR and have a 18.5" barrel with open sights instead of the 20" normally on the KS. Camo stock and 2.5-8 Leupold with a one piece Weaver base and Leupold QD rings.

Second rifle would be in .308. Either another M7-KS or maybe a Kimber Montana.

Bob
223 and 30-06
For me, at this point in time, it would have to be my 5.56X45 in a CQB carbine and my H&K 91 in .308 for social purposes. Both topped with iron sights and an Eotech 512. For hunting, it would be my model 70 Clasic Mtn rifle in 280 Rem and my Model 700 in 35 Whelen.
It goes without saying that we get to keep at least 2 rim fires as well. I'd keep my little Anshutz bolt gun, my 1022 Camo, a Marlin 60 and Ruger New Model, and the old Ruger Standard, the MK I, the Marlin 22 mag, etc, etc...and we didn't mention centerfire handguns or front stuffers.
'Tis more about the smith than the cartrige for me. Since we are dreaming big, I choose an '06 and .22rf from D'Arcy Echols...everything identical 'cept the cartridge. However, like most dreams, the alarm clock sounds at the most inopportune moment.
After discovering the joys of a 270 in the late 1960's, I paired it up with a 300 WMg for over 30 years. Both calibers were in a succession of rifles, mostly Rugers, but the 2 calibers were a constant in my rack. Other caliber's came and went over the years, but only a 1979 built M70FWT 257Rbts stole my heart for any length of time. It was in the first shipment of FWT's that came thru the distributorship.

The best "pair" I ever owned were in SAKO AV Classic Grades, along with 3 other Classic Grades in 223, 243 & 25-06 a one of a kind I had hand selected the stock for in Rihimaaki. Thems were certainly the good old days.

Fast forward to today, and I have found new loves in my severly downsized State of Grace as I slip side into the poorhouse of recurring health issues & forced retirement in a Tikka T3 6.5 Hunter Grade, a still NIB T3 270 that the Swede's performance has kept in the box for almost 4 years, a early 90's M70 Classic SS/syn 300WMg...and my most amazing discovery of sanity in a CZ 550 9.3x62 American...

So MY Choice for a single "pair" would be:
A. the 6.5x55 and a matching 9.3x62 in some sort of mauser setup for the Old School approach ...or
B. my all time fav's of a matched pair in a 270 & 300WMg in a M70 CRF, or AV SAKO - Kimber setup.

Right now the TRIO that goes in the truck is the Swede, Winnie & CZ day in and day out. Could REALLY like to put all 3 calibers in the same platform again ...that would/could look like the 80's era SAKO Classic Grades style wise I used to own. Might yet get MHR to do a trio all the same, as I was surely impressed with their stuff I saw at the Dallas Safari Show last January....it's only the money thingy holding me up these days ya know!
Ron
only 2 ??? hell, that is tough,,,but if I had only 2 rifles I guess it would be my Springfield M1A and my 340 Roy
I'd have to keep my '06 Mauser in the MPI stock, the7x57 Mauser that my FIL gave me, and my Dad's 99 Savage .250-3000. I just can't do two! cry
i've basically done that. I have a Sako Finnlight in 30-06 and a Sako 9.3x66 both in stainless steel. these two will cover off anything I need/want to shoot in British Columbis.
The two I am down to now are:

Kimber Montana 308 w/leupy 6x42

Ruger 77 338 Win. Mcmillan w/leupy 6x36 w/dots
My two favourite rifles are: Sako 75 in 25-06 with 3-12 S&B Zenith scope and Sauer S202 in 9.3x62 with 1.5-6 S&B Zenith scope.

[Linked Image]

Here is the Sauer:

[Linked Image]

Another rifle that I love which is super accurate with everything that I feed in to it is my Sako 75 in .338 win mag from the Sako custom shop.

[Linked Image]
Two rifles?...no way!
1.) Win Mdl 70 post '84 carbine 20"bbl, .223
2.) CZ 550 American, 6.5x55
3.) '03 Springfield, 24" Douglas XX bbl, 6.5-06
4.) Rem 721, rebored/chambered for 338-06
5.) Rem 788, PacNor 25" #4 contour w/Holland brake, 6.5-08AI, CanJar SS trigger, McMillian Mdl 70 target stock.
6.) Czech VZ-24, 26" A&B stainless bbl., 338x57 MAI

Several others in the works!

Regards,

Ol' John
© 24hourcampfire