Home
I have a M600 and a Ruger 77MKII shortened to 18.25" but have always liked the stock that comes on the M7 KS.. Just wondering if anyone has/had one and what do you think of it..

Thanks...Bob Makowski
Bob, they're certainly a nifty little package and I've only handled one in the M7, not owned. Not sure the price they're commanding is worth the cheddar anymore when you could perhaps find a 7 CDL and order a similar McMillan (I think) or B&C for it. Remington (actually McMillan) surely got the stocks right for a good number of years on the KS.
I had a Model 600 in 350 Rem Mag and have had a couple of 350 Rem Mag Model Seven KS models.

I really like the one I have left and miss the other two.

$bob$
I had a Model 600 in 350 Rem Mag and have had a couple of 350 Rem Mag Model Seven KS models.

I really like the one I have left and miss the other two.

Recoil, although stout, isn't nearly as bad as an ultralight big game rifle would be expected to deliver and the feel, ergonomics, and handling of the KS stock is really what MAKES the rifle.

$bob$
Haven't hunted with it yet, but recently took one off LDHunter's hands. Very nice light and trim thumper. Especially likes 225gr. Nosler Partitions.

I'm personally not a fan of the bottom metal Remington utilizes. Truth be told, I prefer ADL. Since that's not an option, I went with a SS BDL assembly from PT&G. Replaced the dreaded J-lock with the Gre-Tan assembly and now the bolt is off to get coated with NP3 (inside and out) and the bottom metal Cerakoted.

Looking forward to bloodying it this Fall!
Bob,

I have one that I purchased off the used gun rack at a local dealer. Most KS's I've seen are grey, but mine happens to be CAMO. Sakoluvr sp? also has one. I hunted with mine the 1st year I owned it and shot an 8 Pt with it at about 80 Yds. Dropped like a stone. Bullet was W-W 250 gr FN that was meant for the 356 Winnie. I believe mine has a Brown Precision stock on it. As it has a P/G ala Browning round knob. Weighs 5 3/4 lbs naked. Very handy. smile I've not fired it since that shot. blush

GH
Bob-we've all a few that got away and back in 97 or 98 I found a 7KS in 350 and instantly fell in lust with it. Should of bought it, wished I'd of bought it. Aside from my Dads old 336/35 it's the only 35 that's ever interested me.

Take that back I saw one other that I really liked, a 7 Custom Shop Mannlicher in 350 RM.

Neato lil rifle 4 sure!

Dober
You missed it. I sold one just a couple months ago and I think it was here on the Campfire.

They're on Gunbroker fairly often for $1200-$1500.

$bob$
They are cute little things.

[Linked Image]

Here's one with the camo stock that is advertised as brand new on gunbroker right now with a Leupold 1.5-5 for $1,325.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=133946368

Then there's this used Model 7 CDL which is the same thing w/o the fiberglass stock for $550.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=134979661

For that price a fellow could replace the wood stock with an Edge or Brown Precision and be dollars ahead - which you can give to your chiropracter or othorpedist after firing a 6 pound .350 Remington Magnum!
And just trying to help people spend money, here's a little Mannlicher for Mark for a mere $1,000.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=134796336
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
They are cute little things.

Here's one with the camo stock that is advertised as brand new on gunbroker right now with a Leupold 1.5-5 for $1,325.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=133946368

Then there's this used Model 7 CDL which is the same thing w/o the fiberglass stock for $550.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=134979661

For that price a fellow could replace the wood stock with an Edge or Brown Precision and be dollars ahead - which you can give to your chiropracter or othorpedist after firing a 6 pound .350 Remington Magnum!

There's a world of difference between a Custom Shop rifle and a "regular production rifle"

The Remington Custom Shop produces full on Custom Rifles from the ground up including making their own barrels one at a time.

The actions are blueprinted too.

They're bedded in the KS stocks with as slick a bedding job as you'll see anywhere.

The triggers are SWEET right out of the box.

Yep.... A world of difference.

Also you should be aware that most people that are looking for a KS won't settle for a laminated or wood stock. They know that the KS stock is one of the finest ever made at any price.

The with the camo stock likely has the Brown Precision stock which some people like better than the McMillan KS stocks and some don't like as much. I have both here and I'm not sure I know which is better but they are different.

Also... The rifle may look "cute" but they bark with authority and kill like the Hammer of Thor.

$bob$
Did I accidentally gore an ox of yours? Or is there a larger issue unrelated to this thread and you're just venting at the first person walking by?
I'm defending the Remington Custom Shop because I am loyal to them and have owned a bunch of their rifles and they are exceptional rifles that have exceptional accuracy and they stand behind them like Dillon stands behind their reloading equipment.

Don't take it personally.

$bob$
Okay, I won't. I just thought maybe you were.
Nope... smile

Words on a computer screen rarely get me upset. Not my style... cool

$bob$
I bought one of the KS stocks off a Model 7 a few years ago and it did not have any glass bedding of any kind...........

I still have it and plan to use it one of these days on a stainless 7 in 7-08.......no, it's not for sale.
do any of you guys talking about bad recol from this gun really have one? my original 600/ 350 has brown prc. stock and is not bad at all. in fact daughter shoots it very well. only complaint i have is how l o u d ! it does lay the grass low but at least we dont have to cut it in front of the bench! just wondering, not trying to be rude. D O M I T !
No, but I have a custon shop Rem M7 MS in 350 RM that shoots awesome. Excellent handy rifle that is PERFECT for the brush. Dean nuts accurtate w/ a VXIII 1.5-5. Shot it a week ago.
Originally Posted by GonHuntin
I bought one of the KS stocks off a Model 7 a few years ago and it did not have any glass bedding of any kind...........

I still have it and plan to use it one of these days on a stainless 7 in 7-08.......no, it's not for sale.

That's probably rare but I really don't know for sure. I've had a pile of them pass through my hands and the hands of a few friends that like 'em as well and all of those were bedded and the bedding was very good and looked really good.

How did you verify it's a McMillan stock?

I think that Remington used another manufacturer for them other than Brown for awhile but the name escapes me right now.

$bob$
Originally Posted by LDHunter

I think that Remington used another manufacturer for them other than Brown for awhile but the name escapes me right now.

$bob$

I talked to McMillan and they confirmed that it was one of their stocks......figured they would know.
I've been shooting the little 350 mag. for quite a while now. Never noticed any more recoil than from an 06.
Originally Posted by GonHuntin

$bob$

I talked to McMillan and they confirmed that it was one of their stocks......figured they would know.

What did they tell you to look for? I've always thought I could spot one by the look, feel, weight and comparing them to others that I KNEW were McMillans, but I have had to trust my instincts...

$bob$
I never even thought about who made the stock on my M7 KS until I removed it and saw McMillan printed inside of it.
I've only seen one that ever said McMillan inside of it.

There have been so many changes through the years you about need a dang scorecard.

$bob$
Same here Bob, I have one that says McMillan.
And I feel the same way on keeping score. grin
A KS that sports gloss blued metal is generally a giveaway that it's a Brown Precision stock. (ummm, but not always)
bob

It has been a few years since I contacted McMillan about the stock........I think I visited with Kelly about it........don't remember exactly what he said, just that he confirmed it was a McMillan stock........sorry I can't be more helpful.
If this is a McMillian stock...is it on their website or is it a Remington exclusive...

Thanks for all the great replies...makes it harder NOT to buy one...

Bob
McMillan makes the stocks but Remington owns the mold and the patent for them so McMillan can't sell you a KS stock legally and Remington probably won't unless it's with a Custom Shop rifle or as a repair item. This is also true for the Alaskan Wilderness Stocks for the Custom Shop Model Sevens.

This is different for the Bell and Carlson stocks made for the Remington Custom Shop rifles and you can buy them direct from Bell and Carlson or Lock Stock and Barrel.

$bob$
Thanks...that is what I thought...

Anyone know if the barrel contour on the M7 KS is slimmer than the present M7 CDL?

Bob
I've never seen a Model 7 CDL up close but I can tell you that the Model 7KS and Model 7AWR are both aren't nearly as slim as the old Model 7SS or youth models.

The new Model 7XCR Camo rifles have a pretty fat barrel too.

Those 20" thin whippy barrels on the old Model 7 rifles was why they were finicky and hard to get consistent accuracy out of.

In recent years Remington has used much lighter stocks and is fluting their barrels to keep the weight down but they're leaving the barrels pretty fat to reduce barrel whip and improve accuracy.

$bob$

Those 20" thin whippy barrels on the old Model 7 rifles was why they were finicky and hard to get consistent accuracy out of.

$bob$

Agreed......I do believe the 350 has/had a larger bbl to begin w/vs 260, 223, etc. Not sure on variations w/in same cal.
kind of off topic but when i come across a heard of guys who are 350 owners i have to ask, do you boys have any loads you have worked up that you want to share?
6.5BR
My #7 in .260 was a poor shooter also averaging around 1.4" 3 shot groups...
I had it bedded, including the barrel in a Wildcat stock and my records show that the last (and only) group recorded was .940" for 5 shots at 100 meters using 120gr. Rem. bulk bullets...

The little #7 in .223 I own is still in it's original rubber stock and it averages just under .6" for 3 shots with Rem. bulk bullets...

So if anybody out there is having problems getting their light barreled #7's to shoot try some barrel pressure before you give up on the rifle...
smile
skybuster20ga,

Since you asked, I don't mind sharing some of my reloads for the 350 Mag, mostly because they are with 1 exception straight out of loading manuals, regarding COL, powder types/charges, etc. So, don't expect any earth shattering revelations:

These were shot out of my Ruger MK II w/22" barrel. The loads are listed in no particular order. The cases are of course Remington and accuracy is at 100 yards:

1) Speer 220 gr w/54 gr of H322 (Speer # 13 Manual)at a COL of 2.74", using CCI 200 primer. Average MV of about 2,560 fps, which is max velocity listed in the manual but is 1 gr short of the listed max powder charge. Accuracy is around 1". I've used this for deer the 2 last seasons and it has worked well.

2) Speer 220 gr w/58 or 59 gr of IMR 4320 (I don't have my notes in front of me) at the same COL & primer as listed above. The average MV was around the same as listed above. Both the powder charge and MV are below max, as listed in Speer # 13 Manual.

2) Barnes 200 TSX w/63 gr of TAC at a COL of 2.78" using Federal Large Rifle Magnum Match Primer. The primer is the only component I changed from what was in the Barnes # 4 Manual, since this is all I had. However, I started testing with the starting load listed in the Barnes Manual and went up 1 grain at a time until I reached the Barnes listed book max powder charge (which is 64 gr). At 63 gr of TAC, the average MV was 2,884 fps with a 1.5" group. I should add that the COL of 2.78" listed in the Barnes # 4 Manual placed the bullet .080" off of my rifle lands. I have since shot some reloads only changing the seating depth closer to the lands but the accuracy got progressively worse. So, I need to start increasing that distance to the lands to see if accuracy improves (though there's nothing wrong with a 1.5" group, at least to me). The Barnes TSX bullets appear to be somewhat tempermental as to the seating depth.

4) Speer 220 gr w/60 gr of H4831 with CCI 200 Primer. I'm not sure of the COL but it is listed in the 2004 Hodgdon Reloading Manual. This achieved an average MV of 2,080 fps and a 1.5" group. Though the case is full of powder, this is obviously a reduced velocity/pressure load, which is fun to shoot. Since most of my shots are 100 yards or closer, I may try this load this coming deer season to see how it works. From what I've read, it should go ok.

That's all I can offer from 1st hand experience. I'm sure someone with alot more reloading experience will chime in. BTW, I absolutely drool every time I see a photo of Remington's Model 7 Custom Shop MS in 350 Mag (or any other caliber for that matter).

Hope this helps. Good luck and let us know how you do.
pretty loyal to the speer 220gr eh? thanks for sharing. its interesting to see how accuracy compares to other rifles of the same model and caliber w/ similar loads. ive heard lots of good things about the speer 220gr for the .350 on deer sized game. some reason im still hesitant to try them.
No need to change if you have had success with the bullet you're using. I understand that completely.

Based on your comments above, I take it that you have a 35 caliber rifle. If you don't mind my asking, what bullet(s) are you using in what caliber? Just curious. I'm never too old to learn.
i have a pair of 350 mags. 1 673 and a mod 7. i alo hyave a 35 remington pump and two 35 whelen pumps, one of which is a carbine and i also have a 35 whelen in model 750. in my whelens other then both 200 and 250 gr psp and an occasioinal box when i can find them of 250gr sp i have only tried 180gr. barnes XFB. w/ 52gr. of R7 (what the manual #3 calls for) velocity was a cool 2800 fps which isnt to shabby out of an 18.5" barrel. i diodnt not get to kill anything w/ the barnes bullet though other then a stack of cabelas mags taped together. accuracy seemed "okay" as i shoot irons or apature sights w/ the insert removed. at 60yds i could keep a clip full in a 2.5" circle.

out of my 350 mags i havnt done any loading at all yet. i have used the nosler pt 225 that they load and the factory ammo w/ satisfactory results, again, iron sights. on game performance hasnt been an issue. i actually just picked up the dies for the 350 about a month ago. im in the market for a few good deer loads so to speak. i alway like tryin new stuff.

for me its about trying new bullets for terminal performance comparisons rather then accuracy.
I've been using the 220 Speer with 60 grains of Winchester 748. Have used the same load with a 225 Nosler Petition for 2660 fps from a 22" M700 Classic barrel. As I recall it was running 2550 from the 18.5" M600.

A friend has shot 4 black bear with the 220 Speer from his M673. All DRT. Only one bullet didn't pass through. It was nicely mushroomed after passing through the shoulder and down through the lungs.

The deer I have shot with the .350 and .358 Winchester using the Speer 220 either dropped or didn't make 35 yards...

Get a Lee Factory Crimp Die...they work great in keeping deeply seated bullets in place.

Bob
skybuster20ga,

Wow! You really have some nice 35 cal rifles. Though I'm fairly new to reloading, I've found the 350 Mag easy to load for. I've gotten good hunting accuracy without much fuss. Reloading for this caliber greatly increases its flexibility, mostly due to the lack of factory ammo offerings. Good luck in your reloading efforts. If I can do it, anyone can.

RJM,

+1 on the Lee Factory Crimp Die. Though the 350 Mag requires a custom order from Lee, it was well worth it.
Originally Posted by Grasshopper
Bob,

I have one that I purchased off the used gun rack at a local dealer. Most KS's I've seen are grey, but mine happens to be CAMO. Sakoluvr sp? also has one. I hunted with mine the 1st year I owned it and shot an 8 Pt with it at about 80 Yds. Dropped like a stone. Bullet was W-W 250 gr FN that was meant for the 356 Winnie. I believe mine has a Brown Precision stock on it. As it has a P/G ala Browning round knob. Weighs 5 3/4 lbs naked. Very handy. smile I've not fired it since that shot. blush

GH

Hey Edward, long time no talk!

Yep, I have one and love it! Same gun as Grasshopper's (Edward). It has become my go to rifle. I liked it so much that I pimped it up a bit. I had karl kampfeld bed it for me, cerekote the metal, replaced the stamped mag follower with SS, flute the bolt, tactical/hunter bolt knob.....and it is a sweet ride. I wore the camo paint on the stock from using it so much, so I had it re-done this spring with olive/black webbing- same cerekote olive as the metal. I will post pics if interested. Shoting Woodleigh's out of it, and have no reason to change.

[Linked Image]
Sakoluvr....I will gladly ask... LET SEE SOME PICS!!!!

Bob

I thought no one would ever ask grin

I have a 2.5x8 Leupold that goes on top. I can't say enough how much I like this rifle. I bought it at a very good price (2ndwind found it at a gunshop for me- thanks again John) and after carrying it a few times, I knew it was a keeper and worthy of Kampfeld's goodness.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Retsof
skybuster20ga,

Wow! You really have some nice 35 cal rifles. Though I'm fairly new to reloading, I've found the 350 Mag easy to load for. I've gotten good hunting accuracy without much fuss. Reloading for this caliber greatly increases its flexibility, mostly due to the lack of factory ammo offerings. Good luck in your reloading efforts. If I can do it, anyone can.

RJM,

+1 on the Lee Factory Crimp Die. Though the 350 Mag requires a custom order from Lee, it was well worth it.

im not an expert reloader by any means myself. i dont really have any input towards the reloading threads but i learn a pile! as far as my .35's go, its a rather small collection really. accumulated over the years. the 750 35 whelen i needed like i need a hole in the head but i ordered it out of impulse. i actually kinda traded that to my ol man for a T/C encore katahdin 50 cal. from the custom shop! but my ol man likes that 750, i think it takes him back to his first deer rifle, the 740...he has shot a couple deer w/ it in the last couple years since they came out. not really any good bullet data though as he smoked them both in the head.
Sakoluvr...so tell me about the bolt...that isn't standard for a 7KS that I can remember...

I have a 2.5-8 Lupy just waiting for a 7KS.

Beautiful rifle...

Bob
Kampfeld does the bolts like that.
sakoluvr,

Nice paint job. I don't think the Remington Custom Shop did that paint job.

Do you know who did?

$bob$
I had carl kampfeld do everything for me. I purchased the rifle in original factory condition (see my post at the end of the 1st page).
Anyone have any pics of of their ks in 350 mag? Found one local to buy in camo?
...well it has been a while since anyone posted on this thread but would rather revive the "dead" than rehash starting a new one...

Thanks to Ken (Firearms44) I will soon take delivery of a M7 KS!!! He found it over on GunBroker with a VERY cheap BuyNow so I punched it...I owe Ken for two lunches..one for finding it and the second for letting me buy it out from under him...

This one has the all gray stock and matte finish instead of polihed blue...sights are missing but it comes with a Leupold base...that will be replaced with a Weaver rail of some sort. Scope will be a 1.5-5 or 1.75-6 Leupold.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=158323759

Bob
Good deal. Why the Weaver Rail? I love the Talley's on mine.
A) Consistancy..all my guns that are not Ruger have Weaver bases. Only have to have one style of rings hanging around.

B) Return to zero when detached. If it is raining it is nice to take the scope off and hunt with the open sights or drop on one of the NECG peep sights...scopes goes back to zero or I can carry an extra scope all set up.

C) Eazy to get replacemnt parts anywhere.

Funny but I just went over to the Remington Custom Shope site...the M7 KS is no longer listed...were they dropped?

Bob
A) Put Talleys on all your rifles and you will only have one style of rings "hanging around". Do you collect rings?

B)I can't imagine removing a scope because it is raining, much less putting it back on when it stops raining.

C)Replacement parts for what? Has something broke in the past? Having problems finding other rings? One piece base/ring combo (Talley) is kinda strong, no?

I am not saying Talleys are the only way to go. Just sayin your argument for a Weaver rail is weak. Can't imagine your Rem custom shop wearing a Weaver rail.......Just me, YMMV
When it is raining or snowing to the point that seeing through a scope is risky, yes, I do take it off... Only has happened a few times but it has happened.

I should also explain I have a firearms accessory business so I'm constantly mounting scopes and sighting in rifles for friends and customers...Weaver just makes things simple.

Tally makes a great ring but Weaver style bases are just more versatile...

Bob
Nice find Bob. A bunch of punch in a great, accurate package. Don't be afraid to try some Remington factory ammo as a baseline. It's far more accurate than most are willing to believe.

Scott
The other three .350s I have had(have)all shoot under MOA. I do have several boxes of 200s and even one or two of the 250s.

Have never shot any of the 250s as they are just too rare and not replaceable but the 200s shoot right along with my handloads...

Bob
I have a 350 ks from customshop.It a old one with brown stock and old bolt knob on it
...is you metal polished blue?

How long have you been hunting with it?

Do you reload?

Bob
Hunted with one of the Mcmillan stocked versions for 5 seasons. The best factory rifle I ever had. That stock is just sweet and the entire package has great balance.It had the best factory trigger I've seen to this day.It would just slay game in their tracks. Once I had my .358 built I ran them against each other at the range a few times and then sold the .350 . I think the Custom KS 350 is the best over the counter do it all type rifle available.
Since Remington doesn't see fit to make the beautiful little M7 in a left hand version I had to settle for the M700KS.

Well not really settle since it is the finest rifle I've ever owned, with a superb trigger, glass smooth action, beautiful gloss bluing, and a Brown Precision Kevlar stock that fits me perfectly.

Oh, and it's slim 24" barrel is chambered in the finest cartridge to come out of the 20th century, the 270 Winchester!!!

I have always thought the M7 with the sweet mannlicher stock is the best looking rifle I've ever seen.
No left hand version though so I'll never own one.
I guess my 700 KS in .35 Whelen is pretty close. I've always had a fondness for 700's, and this one is awfully sweet. All the comments above about the action, trigger, etc., certainly apply to this rifle.

I can't think of a better setup for a mountain rifle, but I'm still having a hard time burying my proclivity toward wood/blue rifles.

FC
Sent the check off yesterday for the rifle...

While at a big shop in Maine yesterday found a latest generation Leupold VX3 1.75-6 in matte with a set of matte Warne QD rings for a whole $300.00..looks like new. I think my new rifle has a scope... :-)

Bob
Same scope I have on my .350's. Perfect combo!
I usually use the Leupold 1.5-5 to be able to get the scope mounted as low as possible but would like just a tad more power for longer shots...especially since where I hunt in Pa. one has to count points. Thought about the 2.5-8 as I rarely hunt at less than 2 power even when using the 1.5-5... But at this price with my favorite rings attached it couldn't be passed up...

Bob

I had one some years ago in the little Rem 660; what's not to like-a short .35 Whelen, a sure thumper to 300 yds. Good stuff has a way of slipping through my fingers but I do have another .350 coming my way. Assuming no surprises, it will be staying. Have not seen nor held a model 7KS but if it had been made in LH, I'd have had one.
Saturday Ken (Firearms44) and I ran some rounds through the new KS..just some factory 200s. Good shooting rifle. Once I have some time to load some more .350s I want to run the new KS against the 600 and 77MKII to see how the recoil and accuracy is...

Bob
© 24hourcampfire