Home
anybody out there actually "tested" their guns with tape on the barrel? What was the effect on accuracy? Also, does it shoot trough the tape or blow it off? I was considering putting black electrical tape over the muzzle, but am not convinced it won't effect accuracy? What say you?
Yeah I've tested it.
I found no difference in accuracy. The tape usually blows off the end.
Mr. RatherBHuntin;
This question seems to come up from time to time and the consensus is that there is no negative effect on accuracy from electrical tape.

Now as to the correct color of the tape, that is another matter entirely! wink

Use the tape with confidence and have a couple wraps on the barrel behind the muzzle so you can check the bore if you need to and tape it up again.

Good luck on your upcoming hunts.

Regards;
Dwayne
[Linked Image]

This guy can probably help you out.
Best use blue, or you are are IN FOR IT!![don't know why exactly, but you'll hear about it; trust me!] Tom
I tested tape on the muzzle and it had no effect. I think the column of air in front of the bullet ruptures the tape before the bullet gets close to it. Besides Finn Aagaard taped his muzzles and that is good enough for me.
I've shot about 14 different rifles with electrical tape covering the muzzle -- in the field and at the range -- and it has never changed the point of impact for any of them, under any conditions. I have, however, kept a lot of snow, ice, rain, mud, dust, sand, seeds and less desirable items out of the muzzle by having tape across it.

Not too hard for me to figure out what to do...

Dennis
I do it all the time and shoot through it. No influence on zero and I'm certain the bullet doesn't even touch the tape which is blown off by the trapped air comumn.
It effects accuracy a lot less than a bore plugged with dirt. blush wink

(regardless of color used.)
+1

I always tape the muzzle of rifles when using them during hunts in our Upper Peninsula. It is usually snowing, and I like to keep it out of the bore. Never did any testing however, as I didn't see a problem with accuracy by doing it.
Originally Posted by the_shootist
It effects accuracy a lot less than a bore plugged with dirt. blush wink

(regardless of color used.)

AMEN!!!!
Happy Birthday. Buy yourself a new rifle..LOLOL
I'm 1-for-1 collecting game with tape over the muzzle, and 1-for-1 shooting rocks with tape whilst verifying POI after my scope got stepped on by a horse.

Works great, and I'll never be without tape when there are saddle scabbards involved.

Caveat: I used black tape. I cannot verify the value of blue tape, especially if it hasn't been focused correctly.

FC
I tape 'em and there isn't any issue with the accuracy. Things can get in a barrel so easily and you seldom notice it's happened. The most common seems to be "dipping" the muzzle into dirt or snow when you're preparing for the shot-and usually not thinking about the barrel. I always put a few wraps somewhere around the barrel so I'll have extra to re-wrap.

i found i get my best accuracy with blue masking tape. the worst accuracy came from glass filled packaging tape. for detailed installation instructions follow think link...
http://www.the-long-family.com/images/IMG_0080.JPG
I always use electrical tape over my barrels in the field!
I don't use it. I shot a buck with tape on the muzzle and it flew out there and taped the hole up.

Like to never found him.

JM.
The blue tape works the best. For some reason the chemical make up of the blue tape doesn't affect accuracy as much as the regular black tape does.
Originally Posted by JohnMoses
I don't use it. I shot a buck with tape on the muzzle and it flew out there and taped the hole up.

Like to never found him.

JM.

grin
Never missed an animal due to tape on the muzzle. (I have had to melt ice out a barrel in the field though, that or go home. I have some opinions about that!) Use tape. It works.
Originally Posted by JohnMoses

Like to never found him.

JM.

Try backing up a foot or two.
IME shooting groups on paper targets, electrical tape over the muzzle does not affect POI at all.
RBH,

Like a lot of folks I have tested it, and no change in point of impact found with more than one rifle.

Once on a Colorado elk hunt we decided to try our rifles after we were done hunting, and set up an improvised range. Each of five hunters took a shot.

jim
No affect on accuracy for several different rifles. As posted, the column of air in front of the bullet either blows it away or blows a hole in the tape b4 the bullet gets there.
I use it sometimes. I've only ballooned one barrel by not using it...
I don't see any change in accuracy with or without tape, either. I can still plunk them into a 4 to 6" group all day long.

Some guys talk about shooting minute of angle, but in my case it's closer to "hour of prayer"...I never was a very good shot.
Originally Posted by Bulletbutt

Some guys talk about shooting minute of angle, but in my case it's closer to "hour of prayer".

Great line, do you mind if I steal it?
...the column of air in front of the bullet ruptures the tape before the bullet gets close to it.

Ding!
We got a winner.

If the tape "blows off" the muzzle, it is not taped tightly enough.

Don't leave the house without it!
Originally Posted by muledeer

Not too hard for me to figure out what to do...

Dennis

You iz smart!
the secret is to suck the air out of the muzzle as you applying the tape.
so, do you tape "over the muzzle" and "around the muzzle" to hold the "tape over" down tight? or do you just run a piece of tape over the muzzle and down the side a little bit?
Originally Posted by ringworm

Got a pic? smile
Originally Posted by RatherBHuntin
so, do you tape "over the muzzle" and "around the muzzle" to hold the "tape over" down tight? or do you just run a piece of tape over the muzzle and down the side a little bit?

Some of my rifle muzzles will be covered by a single side-to-side strip of tape. Others get an "X" of tape. I know some people will circle the muzzle with another piece. I don't. I'll put extra wraps back a bit from the muzzle for replacements. Usually I'll warm the tape with a lighter to make it stick well.
anybody out there actually "tested" their guns with tape on the barrel?

Yep, scientifically tested in real life/time.

Nicely keeps rain, snow, and gak out of a barrel.....

[Linked Image]

Also, does it shoot trough the tape or blow it off?

Air pressure building in front of the bullet blows it right off before the bullet can exit.

A simple "X", so, two thicknesses, will cover most muzzles, and a couple of wraps will keep it secure....

[Linked Image]

I was considering putting black electrical tape over the muzzle, but am not convinced it won't effect accuracy? What say you?

I'm convinced, haven't left home without it.......for a LONG time now.

A couple of spare "half-used" rolls is/are standard gear in my ditty bag......

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
Originally Posted by ringworm

Got a pic? smile

PIC?
He11 boy...
I have an instructional video.
I got paranoid and removed the wrapped stash from the barrel and wound 'er up on the bolt handle. Have no idea if it was a legit idea or not.
Originally Posted by Tracks
Originally Posted by Bulletbutt

Some guys talk about shooting minute of angle, but in my case it's closer to "hour of prayer".

Great line, do you mind if I steal it?

I would be proud to have you steal that.
Anybody ever try those little condoms they make for over the muzzle...of a rifle?
I tried one, but my barrel is too small and it fell off. It worked as long as I kept it pointed up, but you can't keep it up forever, and as soon as it pointed down, the thing slipped off. I don't know...must've been wet.
You had the wrong sized, you must have a Magnum contour to use the Magnum size wink

Seriously I have heard about those, but I use black tape. One strip, an inch or two past either side of muzzle, and a wrap around it to be sure its secure. No problems. Then several wraps of extra as a back up, further down the barrel.
White tape will do....In a pinch.

[Linked Image]

Like's been said, it blows out, and don't affect accuracy..... After the shot.

[Linked Image]
small black party ballons also work
The muzzle cover does indeed blow off before the projectile hits it. I tried it with a 106mm Recoilless Rifle and a heavy canvas muzzle cover. These are point detonated High Explosive Anti Tank rounds but the fuse is very hard. It was an emergency!
I use the little drink umbrellas.
You too!!! Uhh, I mean thats nonsense JM, you wouldn't really do that! Would you? Dang Campfire answers anyway! Tom
Originally Posted by 106rr
The muzzle cover does indeed blow off before the projectile hits it. I tried it with a 106mm Recoilless Rifle and a heavy canvas muzzle cover. These are point detonated High Explosive Anti Tank rounds but the fuse is very hard. It was an emergency!

yikes. that would make my butt pucker. i've done the electrical tape thing for years (i prefer brown), but the canvas cover would make me "uncomfortable", although probably not as bad as the alternative you were facing.
Have tested, no affect on accuracy. Have tripped on a log I didn't see in a swamp, and burried the rifle to the action. I was glad to have the tape on the muzzle, but I did have to remove the water from the barrel, that entered from the breach.

I usually use 2 pieces of elect. tape in the shape of an "X" then put 1-2 wraps around them to make sure they hold. Have never had a problem with this method. Before I began using something over the muzzle, I dinged the crown of my Ruger .270 Win. while on a sheep hunt. This happened when I took a spill climbing out of a river crossing and the rifle was tied across my packboard. I think it's dumb to be hunting without something over the muzzle to protect it. I shoulda known better at the time but....
Bear in Fairbanks
Originally Posted by baltz526
small black party ballons also work

I wouldn't trust a party balloon or a condom thingy.....too thin.

Taping a muzzle is not just to keep a little rain out of the bore, it's to keep out rain, snow, ice, mud, sticks, and whatever else kind of junk that could get in there and make a bad situation.

Rifles blow up from a foreign object in the bore and folks, if they're lucky, stand there wondering how the heck that happened.

Two layers of electrical tape in an X over the muzzle with a couple of wraps to secure it, is a damn fair bit stouter than just a balloon.......
Originally Posted by 106rr

Glad you survived the incident. Thanks for your service.

-
[Linked Image]
I had tape over the muzzle because it had rained steady for two days while I was black bear hunting. This bait stealer was shot at 60 yds with two pieces of electrical tape over the muzzle and accuracy was not affected according to the raccoon.
whelennut
I've had no accuracy issues with tape etc. If out in damp weather though, remove it at the end of the day, and run a dry patch though to facilitate drying. One doesn't want moisture trapped in the bore.
This bait stealer was shot at 60 yds with two pieces of electrical tape over the muzzle and accuracy was not affected according to the raccoon.

Dead raccoons don't lie! smile
I tested it this weekend. I took out my "ready" rifle that has the muzzle taped and shot at 200yds to see if POI was affected. The shot hit right were it was supposed to.........................DJ
© 24hourcampfire