Home
This target was shot with a TC Contender and a factory 14" barrel in 22 hornet and a 10X Burris. I shot it at Tri Cities GC near Portland, OR from a bench off sandbags at 200 yards. It is a five shot group. The load was a home swaged 40 gr open tip bullet in front of 12.5 gr of AA 1680.

It is proof that all TC products are junk and will not shoot. They are not worth your trouble or money. grin
[Linked Image]
There was a guy here that used to post in the single shot forum and he had a prohunter in 300 WIN mag that shot some beautiful groups. I have had contender and now own a prohunter and I like it a lot. I am using the prohunter as a muzzleloader right now but will start buying up barrels for it in a short while.
I can see your problemos. Dibs when you sell smile .
Sorry, all my TC's and all my swage equipment went away in a big trade.
I was at my home gun club shooting this hornet barrel at the hundred yard range when the guy shooting at the next bench told me I had to go to the pistol range. I smiled knowing he had no idea what he was talking about. I challenged him, my TC box, one frame and three barrels against his Ruger #1. His Ruger was not printing five shots on an 8 1/2 X 11 target. The bet was i could hit a full can of soda sitting on the 100 yard backstop , bottom facing the shooting line. He took me up on the bet. I setteled the TC on the bags and when everything looked right to me I looked up and into his eyes and asked "What do you think?" Then I squeezed off the shot while we were looking into each others eyes. His head snapped back in time to see a fog of soda where the can had been. He packed up and left without saying a word or leaving his Ruger. Never saw him again. There were about 20 witnesses who wer laughing hard enough the bring tears.

I know, I should not be such a butt head but we all have to do what we are best at. wink
This is why I sold my encore.

not that it shot bad it just didn't shoot good enough.

Attached picture Rem30br6x.jpg
I had a few contender barrels that were shooters, though none were factory tubes. 10" bullberry 218 mashburn bee. It took a suprising amount of load work to find an moa combination. When I did, I could consistantly hit the head on the turkey silouette at 150 yds. 20 shots, 20 hits.

Does that put the contender and encore rifles on par with what good boltguns do? There are boltguns that will print 5 shot 1/2" ctc groups at 200 yds.
Don't blame you at all. I would have shipped out anything that shot that bad.

In about 19 months I will retire and have the time to hunt again. My wife has been putting a bug in my ear about some deer and elk in the freezer. I have been thinking about an encore and a couple of barrels. I have not hunted with an encore but a friend I respect says it is one of the best balanced rifles he has hunted with. He has taken a couple of dozen elk with his in both long and short barrels.
Originally Posted by Scott F
Don't blame you at all. I would have shipped out anything that shot that bad.

In about 19 months I will retire and have the time to hunt again. My wife has been putting a bug in my ear about some deer and elk in the freezer. I have been thinking about an encore and a couple of barrels. I have not hunted with an encore but a friend I respect says it is one of the best balanced rifles he has hunted with. He has taken a couple of dozen elk with his in both long and short barrels.

Good luck Scott! I retired four years ago and now I'm looking for a job so I'll have some time to myself. Once you're retired everyone thinks you've got all the time in the world so everyone wants some. You'd better have a plan.

I bought an Encore at the time I retired and have hunted with it quite a bit. Got it primarily as a .50 inline ML but also got a turkey barrel and rifle barrel. Best turkey gun I've ever used, also a great ML.
I've used the rifle barrel more than I ever planned, for deer and caribou.
I am retiring from truck driving, about a 60 hour a week job. I will then go to work for my wife on our 40 acre farm and cut down my hours to 80 or 90. That should leave me lots of time to hunt and fish. wink
I just bought a TC Icon a couple months ago....its junk too...sometimes I shoot three shots at the target, but there will be only one hole.... wink

Gonna have to get rid of it...in about 20 years!!

Ingwe
like everything else there is a bell curve for rifle accuracy. On average I would bet the average TC encore with factory barrel would not shoot as well as a bolt from most major manufacturers. Sure there are standouts, but "on average" I don't buy that a TC gun is as accurate. The odds are in your favor of getting more accuracy if you buy a bolt gun.
To each his own but time after time I could shoot circles around others who were shooting their bolt guns. How many off the shelf bolt guns can duplicate the target I posted.
I am going to have to side with Scott on this one. Someone who knows how to wring the full potential out of the TC system can make them shoot better than most bolt guns. There are fewer variables in the TC setup and generally the bbls are shorter and stiffer to start with.

Just purchased an Encore 26" blue barrel in 6.8mm Remington SPC. Using Remington factory ammo with 115gr Matchking BTHP. Absolute tack driver. No felt recoil and is a dream to shoot. I think I found a keeper.

Ken
I've got a factory TC 10" .44 Mag barrel that likes to chew the center out of targets also. It's almost boringly accurate if there is such a thing.
Originally Posted by trcuda
I am going to have to side with Scott on this one. Someone who knows how to wring the full potential out of the TC system can make them shoot better than most bolt guns. There are fewer variables in the TC setup and generally the bbls are shorter and stiffer to start with.

If trcuda is who I think he is then he owns the TC that shot this target.

It that you Tim?
Thats me :-). Just to muddy the waters I seem to remember a CZ 22 hornet that shot as well or maybe even better!
Ingwe, I feel sorry for you. Being the good guy that I am, send me that TC junk and I will gladly pay the shipping. I will make the same deal with you on any other junk that you have that performs so poorly. Thanks, BT
Originally Posted by trcuda
Thats me :-). Just to muddy the waters I seem to remember a CZ 22 hornet that shot as well or maybe even better!

I lost your phone number. I will be in Yakima tomorrow.

Yes the little CZ shoots as well and maybe even a little better now that it is a K-Hornet. We are getting close to digging out the gun safe. I have not seen any of my guns in almost 4 years.

Oh yes, one more thing. I read that CZ's are junk and overpriced. They will not shoot so my CZ but be a handi rifle that was miss marked. grin
My Savage 250-3000 T/C custom shop barrel brings a tear to my eye every time I shoot it.

Doc
That in an Encore? The 250?
Hey Doc !

What barrel length did you get in the 250 Savage ? That's my next custom shop barrel.

Ken
I have been messing around with T/C Contenders since 1971. I bought my first Encore in 1998. I have had a LOT of barrels and acessories in those many years and have only had 2 factory barrels and 1 custom barrel that have been problematic and not up to my expectations. Thats a pretty good track record I think.I only have one bolt gun that is significantly more accurate than my contenders and it is a Savage. I have curently 9 Encore tubes and 17 contender barrels. I guess I kinda like the things. Some folks call it a sickness this Contenderitis

lonerider
© 24hourcampfire