Home
I have my fav's but I want to hear your's,the plainer the better.
For rifles...2

Savage 99s
Pre 64 Model 70s
(but like many more)

I dont know about as many shotguns as rifles, but if I had to pick, it would be a Browning A-5 Light 12
ruger 77, winny '97
The Baby Sako A1 223's are rather sweet..................
Now, don't anybody yell at me for this...

A Win.M70 Fwt. Push Feed...(!) shocked

Ingwe
win M54 in 220 swift that my buddy has.... it will be mine some day.... i wait in the shadows... bwooo-ha-haaa-haaaaa!!
Originally Posted by ingwe
Now, don't anybody yell at me for this...

A Win.M70 Fwt. Push Feed...(!) shocked

Ingwe

Shame!!!!

actually I can respect that, i'm a big M70 PF fan.

nice slick loaders, seemingly superior in accuracy of the shelf. IME
Yep, I'm a closet "push-feeder" and I just officially "outed" myself!!! laugh
I've also owned and shot a Rem. M700 or two... wink

Gawd!...It feels GOOD to get that off my chest!!! grin

Ingwe
Model 94 Winchester
Originally Posted by Rick n Tenn
Model 94 Winchester

Damn you! You just reminded me...

I am a REAL slut for M64 Winchesters.... grin

Ingwe
Browning FN Safari 30-06.
eek thats ok
CRF sounds like some kinda disease anyway
id take an old model 700 adl with the wood stock that looks like they just dipped the whole gun in polyurithane over the m 70 though
Originally Posted by jcdixon77

id take an old model 700 adl with the wood stock that looks like they just dipped the whole gun in polyurithane over the m 70 though

Been known to do that too.... grin

Ingwe
1977 rem 870, 30" full choke
1974 ruger m77, 270 win
A #1 Mark IV Lee Enfield sporter in 303 British. Ample for moose or deer or bear, and pretty accurate with the aperture sights.

A JC Higgins model 51 (I think) in 30-06.
Remington 721 in 300 Savage
Remington 31 in 12 gauge
And I'm not even a Remington fan, but he said plain jane and these guns work.
I guess an original Winchester model 1892. Never owned one but shot one a friend had. Slickest lever action Winchester ever made.
Rem 700 BDL.
Monte Carlo stock, fake black forend spacer with white plastic line. Plastic buttstock and grip cap. And yes enough high gloss finish on the stock to signal overhead planes.

Still got it too smile
Win 1886 in 45-70.
1944 Mauser BCD code 8X57. Ithaca Model 37 featherweight. Second choice 1955 Model 70 300H&H, Remington Wingmaster 870.
A SMLE MK(pick one), can't get any plainer that. Sportered or not. Damn near every fella in this country has had, haves, or should have one. Fixed 4X, or peeps, and your GTG.

R.
Originally Posted by KCBighorn
Rem 700 BDL.
Monte Carlo stock, fake black forend spacer with white plastic line. Plastic buttstock and grip cap. And yes enough high gloss finish on the stock to signal overhead planes.

Still got it too smile

That,s what Im talking about grin I think they made that finish when Dupont owned them shiny as Jeff Gordon's car
Pre-64 M70 Fwt, it was never a fancy rifle.

For a shotgun, a Winchester Super X Model 1 w/ 28" mod choke field grade. Not fancy but it fits me like no other.
Never had issues with the old M788s I burned so much ammo through. And my old 870 still steps up as required. Figure I'll keep the M670 for one of my boys; it has been too useful for bringing home the needed protein when called upon. And then there's the M94s...
yep I'm in the 870 fan club as well, but lordy she don't get exercised much anymore.

and the M94 works
Pre 64 mod 70, of course
J C Higgins 50, 30-06-- a real favorite
Rem 870
My trusty circa '72 model 70 PF in .264WM...
Pre-64 Model 70 bought new in 1961, Winchester Model 50 that belonged to my grandfather and my uncle.
ADK4Rick: I would not describe my choice as "plain Jane" - I would describe it as the most beautiful, safe, strong, accurate and reliable factroy Rifle ever made - the one and only "Rifleman's Rifle" - THE Winchester pre-64 Model 70!
I own quite a bunch of them and have Big Game Hunted and Varmint Hunted with them for many decades now!
Never once in all that time and with all those Rifles incurring a malfunction or a problem of any kind!
Yep "off the rack" I wish this Rifle WERE still today!!!
Long live the "Rifleman's Rifle"!
I don't like shotguns much and only own one as of today but I prefer to shoot the Remington 870 of mine which I bought long before 1985.
I do, though, very much admire and wish I had back the Winchester pre-64 Model 12 "Duck Gun" (3" Magnum!) I owned and Hunted with when I was a very young man!
Interesting inquiry - I am now going to read the other replies on this thread.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
KCBighorn & Jcdixon: That "finish" on those older Remingtons was in fact the same finish that was applied to bowling pins of that era!
I believe they (the Remington folks) called it by this set of letters "RKW".
The RKW finish indeed was not dull but it was impervious to water and lots of rough treatment!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
My favorites:

Colt Sauer
Weatherby Mark V Deluxe
Remington 700 BDL
Model 70 XTR
Me, I like my 721 in 270. I loce that gun and wouldnt trade it for the world!
Favorite? Remington M760ADL in 30-06 circa 1976. The '17 Enfield next to it is circa July, 1918.
[Linked Image]
I can easily live with the Ruger M77 or Winchester PF Featherweight or even the (blush) old XTR.
They don't get no plainer than a 1948 Rem 722 in 300 Savage. grin That's my favorite.
This is plain, no checkering, nothing but low brow Walnut for a stock...

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by DMB
They don't get no plainer than a 1948 Rem 722 in 300 Savage. grin That's my favorite.
This is plain, no checkering, nothing but low brow Walnut for a stock...

[Linked Image]

that is what I'm talking about!gorgeous rifle,did they make that in .243? if so I'm gonna hunt one down for the boy.
savage 99's
win mod 70 pre 64
ithaca mod 37
My Marlin Model 444.Bought it new in 1970(I was 14),my first rifle.
Set me back a bit.Saved my paper route money,a wopping $115.00 NIB.
Now THOUGHS were the days.
I love my 722 257 Roberts even though it has custom shop wood and checkering.

ddj
You guys are all wrong . . . . .

Its the Savage Model 24 in 20 gauge - 30/30.

Nothing else is a Rifle/Shotgun.
Rem 788 in 6mm (lefty, of course) killed them in '72 and still kills them today.
Here's a top 50 list I ran across searching for something. Sums it up pretty well.

http://www.fieldandstream.com/photos/gallery/kentucky/2007/09/50-best-guns-ever-made
Plain jane rifle/shotgun? Well, don't own one yet, but I'm watching for one.

1920's Savage 99 in 300 cased combo with a 410 barrel.

[Linked Image]
I meant rifle & shotgun,sorry for the confusion
Model 12 Winchester.
Back then my favorites were a 1977 push feed Win M70 rifle and a Rem 870 12 ga.

2nd favorites were Ruger tang safety M77 rifle and Stevens side x side double with two triggers.
Originally Posted by GF1
Browning FN Safari 30-06.
+1

I picked up a used one that looked like a sewer pipe and had it reblued by Ahlmans of Morristown. I kept the beat up stock so I wouldn't be afraid to use it but it looks so darn good....
whelennut
I also have an A-5 light twelve Belgian made I bought new in 1970
it will never be for sale!
whelennut
I have a "Plain Jane" Remington Mohawk in 6MM. It has a very short, stiff barrel and a Weaver 2 x 7 "Widefield" scope. I bought it from a guy after I did some work on his house 100 years ago. I was admiring it when I was doing the work and I bought it off him for some of the "Ben Franklins" that he paid me with. He had added a pad so it would not make noise when you set the butt down in a box type deer blind, rec. room, house, etc. type stand that we use here in Texas for deer blinds. I traded a trash barrel full of reloading stuff that I got from a woman I worked with when her Dad died for the scope. It was brand new. The guy had glass bedded it and he said it shot like a champ. It's kinda beat up but it puts an 80 or 100 gr. bullet in a dime at 100 yards year after year. It's very short an light and is very handy. I've done in quite a few whitetails and a single antelope over the years with it. It's one of those guns that when you take it out of the safe, it's going to shoot in the same spot as last time. It probably was an $80 special at K-Mart when he bought it. It is very plain. It looks funny 'cause it's so short, it has a big, ugly old timey scope, and it just plain shoots! This one would win an award for plain! BT
I love my remingtons m700 with the montecarlo stock.

The old Browning shotgun A-5 Belgium made and even the newer offerings. My humpback got stolen, I could kill em! Grandfather gave me that gun, was given to him by a fellow swimmer turned actor, the guy who played in the alamo and was the first tarzan, cant remember his name off hand. Great story and great gun, now great loss,
Ithaca 37 16 gauge, Remington 760 35 Remington, Ruger M77 30-06, and Marlin 336A 35 Remington.
Originally Posted by Halwg
Ithaca 37 16 gauge, Remington 760 35 Remington, Ruger M77 30-06, and Marlin 336A 35 Remington.

You have the bases pretty much covered for any type of hunting.

M12 Win 20ga
M70 pre-64 FWT 270
Remington M760 (any cartridge) & 870 16 ga. Winchester M12 (any ga) & M70, Ithaca M37.
Remington M760, 300 Savage & Ithaca M37. Sounds familiar....
Originally Posted by southtexas
M12 Win 20ga
M70 pre-64 FWT 270

Ditto....
JC Higgins model 50 or 51. Both on commercial actioned 98's. They were/are excellent, plain-as-dirt rifles and just can't be beat. Especially for the $$$. Rooster
Originally Posted by northern_dave
win M54 in 220 swift that my buddy has.... it will be mine some day.... i wait in the shadows... bwooo-ha-haaa-haaaaa!!

Interesting that you mention the Model 54 in 220 Swift. Just saw one of those for sale about a week ago. If I wasn't tight for cash, I'd have snagged it. I do have a 54 in 22 Hornet.

But, answering the man's question, I'd have to go with a Ruger 77, for a CRF rifle. Reminghams are great, but are PF.
Ruger 77
Win model 12
No bells or whistles - here is a straight stock M21 SXS 12 gauge made in the mid 1930's - still hell on upland game.

[Linked Image]

Rifle choice is tougher, but with your "no bells or whistles" requirement I will offer up my old 1953 era M94 (all my other old rifles have scopes - which is a bell or whistle enhancement).

[Linked Image]
Sako L579 Pre Garcia....Winchester Model 12 20ga.
Winchester Model 70 (push feed) in 7x57 and a Winchester Model 12 12 gauge.
Sako L46 in 222 Mag
Sako L57 in 308
Sako L61R in 338 or 375

Rem. 870 12 ga.

M700 pre limited production Classic, 270W.

Casey
I like the older Sakos and Browning Safari grade rifles.
Game rifle: Savage 99F .358 Win.

Shotgun: Sauer 16ga drilling.

[Linked Image]

For woodchucks, the M788 in 22-250. For deer, a M700ADL walnut in 25-06. Bought both in 1978 and they both still shoot as well as they did when new, which was pretty damn good.

My M500 Mossberg 12ga is about the same age, still works fine.

I'd mention that I'm fairly thrifty, but that's likely redundant?
My Sears/JC Higgins 12Ga. pump shotgun. It has this big ventilated contraption on the end of the barrel that houses the changeable chokes. It looks ugly but works great.
Medium action Sako L579 / A11 in 308
Large action Browning FN Mauser in 30 06 upwards
The 'pig' m70 .243. Scope is lower an a lil simpler now though.

[Linked Image]
© 24hourcampfire