Home
Posted By: lubbockdave what 5 to 6lb rifle?? - 11/08/09
I know there are a bunch of kimber fans here, but their QC has me spooked a bit, so what other light weight rifle comes in at 5-6 lbs w/o scope that I can expect MOA or better with factory ammo?

Dave
Posted By: CrimsonTide Re: what 5 to 6lb rifle?? - 11/08/09
Dave,
AFAIK, only the Tikka comes close, but it will be over 6 pounds by a skosh.

Oh, if you are a Browning fan, they still make their Ti model.
Posted By: kalbrecht Re: what 5 to 6lb rifle?? - 11/08/09
Lot's of folks swear by NULA. I don't own one but if I was looking for a lightweight rifle in the 5 to 6 pound range thats the route I would go.
Posted By: bea175 Re: what 5 to 6lb rifle?? - 11/08/09
If cost is no problem NULA if cost is a factor the Browning TI
Posted By: Huntr Re: what 5 to 6lb rifle?? - 11/08/09
NULA
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: what 5 to 6lb rifle?? - 11/08/09
Sako 85 Finnlight catalogs at 6 3/8 lbs. I have a friend that owns a Kimber and based on what I've seen with his you could not give me a Kimber.
Posted By: leftycarbon Re: what 5 to 6lb rifle?? - 11/08/09
If you can swing it there is nothing quite like a NULA. I have built rifles from the ground up and handed about everything there is out there including worked over 700's by companies like Rifles INC. but for a truly lightweight package that does it all nothing bears a NULA. If you order one be very specific exactly what you want...actually if you could get to Melvins shop and handle several, look at paint options etc. it would go a long way to getting exactly what you want. The man stands behind his rifles.

For a factory rifle the Sako Finlights are pretty good. My son has a .300WSM and a .270. Right out of the box both are very accurate and as a bonus the WSM hold four down in the magazine, but both of them are at least 1-1 1/4 lbs heavier than the NULA

Being a lefty I have no experience with a Kimber, but considering their cost you could buy a Montana and if it didn't shoot have it rebarreled by a name smith and still have a relativley inexpensive light weight rifle that actualy shoots well.

Lefty C
Posted By: lubbockdave Re: what 5 to 6lb rifle?? - 11/08/09
I have given NULA some thought, but my gosh I don't think I ever owned a car that cost more than 3 grand intil I was 32 yrs old...I owned a Cooper once and could not bring myself to even shoot the thing! Moved it off in about a month of buying it. Heck, I have bought and sold several Ruger #1a's and 1 B's mostly because of the idea of hunting with an $800+ rifle freaks me out a little. Just something about me owning an expensive rifle I guess...

But I do want to give a super light weight rifle a try.

Dave
Posted By: salmonhead Re: what 5 to 6lb rifle?? - 11/08/09
brother has a Rifles Inc and hunts everything with it, super accurate and chanmbered in 300 RUM. Muzzle break is necessary and RI wont sent one out the doors larger than 7mag without a break cause they all come back. IIRC it weighs 4.75 without optics.
Posted By: BradArnett Re: what 5 to 6lb rifle?? - 11/08/09
If cost IS a factor......then this is what I'd look at, and did. IIRC it's 5# 13oz bare and mine was 620$ out the door.

http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/special_runs/model_700_mtn_SS_guide.asp

Here's a pic of mine on the scale. It's wearing a Nikon fixed 6x42, Talley LW's and butler creek thin Neoprene sling. The stock was also painted with Alumahyde and webbing spray.

[Linked Image]

I restocked it with a McMillan Mountain Rifle stock that I ordered on the 4th of july sale and now it goes just an rch over 7#'s ready to roll.

[Linked Image]

Mine is completely floated with a dab of bedding to secure the lug. It's a solid sub-moa rifle for 3 shots that runs 75Vmax's at 3450, 90gr Scirocco II's at 3220, and puts them both within 1MOA of each other so swapping between loads is very simple. What's even mo' betta is that those 2 loads track within just about a .25MOA of each other out to 500yds after shooting them side by side.

[Linked Image]

Now I don't run any factory ammo so I can't help you there. The rifle as issued was not too fussy and I didn't have any problems getting to shoot less than an inch out of the box. Good luck in your search.

Posted By: Taconic11 Re: what 5 to 6lb rifle?? - 11/08/09
Rem. Model 7,308, 18.5" barrel, Brown Prec. Kevlar stock, Conetrol bases & rings, Decelerator pad = 5lbs. 4oz.
Posted By: cal74 Re: what 5 to 6lb rifle?? - 11/08/09
The Remington Mtn. Guides are no longer available, but there's still a handfull of .243's and .308's at a few Ganders. The 7mm-08's are a little harder to come by, but I was able to buy a NIB one just a few months ago.

Very nice guns to carry/shoot, like Brad pointed out two posts up. I've also got a Stainless M7 in 7mm-08 with a 20" tube. I like the Guide guns balance better with it's stock and 22" tube.

Either gun should work out fairly well for you and won't break the bank.
Posted By: BradArnett Re: what 5 to 6lb rifle?? - 11/08/09
cal, I didn't know they weren't available anymore. I guess I'm going to have to suck it up and pick up another 243 from them while I can. They are a LOT of rifle for the money, in my opinion.
Posted By: CLB Re: what 5 to 6lb rifle?? - 11/08/09
Weatherby Ultra Lightweight.
Posted By: cal74 Re: what 5 to 6lb rifle?? - 11/09/09
Originally Posted by BradArnett
cal, I didn't know they weren't available anymore. I guess I'm going to have to suck it up and pick up another 243 from them while I can. They are a LOT of rifle for the money, in my opinion.

That's what I was told, don't think I'm wrong but someone please correct me if I am. After reading so many possitive comments about them on here I made up my mind that I had to have one and I'm glad I did.

I found my 7mm-08 from another member here I think back in July. At that time I called all around and there were eight .243's still in stock throughout the nation and five .308's at various Ganders. I'm not sure about the blued guns that were made for Cabelas?

Posted By: Waders Re: what 5 to 6lb rifle?? - 11/09/09
You can build a fairly lightweight rig. I have a Rem 700 SS BDL, Mtn contour 30-06 bbl, sitting in a McMillan Hunter Edge. With its Leupy VXII 3-9x40 and BC caps, Talley LW's it weighs 6 lbs 9.4 oz.
Posted By: Ebby Re: what 5 to 6lb rifle?? - 11/09/09
I have 2 lightweight guns. One is a remington 700 30-06 factory except in a McMillan Edge that weighs in at 6lbs 12oz all up with Leupy 3.5-10x40. The other is a pseudo NULA that started off as a Colt Light rifle and I sent it to Melvin and he put a Douglass barrel, timney trigger, his safety, and his Stock. Not put all together yet but should be about 6lbs and 3-4ozs when finished. It is in .270 and cost me about $1500 and you cannot tell it from a NULA.
Lee
Posted By: jimmyp Re: what 5 to 6lb rifle?? - 11/09/09
Originally Posted by CLB

I have heard some mixed messages regards accuracy on these, anyone else have a thought regards the UltraLW Weatherby?
Posted By: HunterJim Re: what 5 to 6lb rifle?? - 11/09/09
The NULA is the answer to the light weight rifle question!

jim
Posted By: K22 Re: what 5 to 6lb rifle?? - 11/10/09
Originally Posted by Taconic11
Rem. Model 7,308, 18.5" barrel, Brown Prec. Kevlar stock, Conetrol bases & rings, Decelerator pad = 5lbs. 4oz.

How expensive was the stock? I looked on their website and it appears that a finished stock in Kevlar is about $700. shocked
Posted By: JTD0314 Re: what 5 to 6lb rifle?? - 11/10/09
Originally Posted by jimmyp
Originally Posted by CLB

I have heard some mixed messages regards accuracy on these, anyone else have a thought regards the UltraLW Weatherby?

I have a 270 Win. that shoots Hornday 140 grain sst at about 3/4" They do get hot quick, but if you shoot a group and let it cool down, it is a tack driver!
Posted By: JMR40 Re: what 5 to 6lb rifle?? - 11/10/09
I've tried several lightweights. My first was a Remington ADL that I put in a Garrett Acculite stock probably 25 years ago. Still have the rifle and it weighs 7.5 lbs with Talley lightweights and 2.5-8x Leupold.

Tried the Model 7's, Colt Light Rifle, and did not really care for them. The Tikka I had was not bad and a good choice if you like them.

Finally tried the Kimber 308 and am quite pleased. Mine comes in at 6 lbs in a Leupold 2.5-8x and Talley lightweights. Mine shoots pretty well. This would still be my 1st choice in a lightweight.

A few months ago I got a good deal on one of the stainless Remington ADL mountain rifles in 30-06. I put a Bell and Carlson Alaska Wilderness stock on it and it comes in at 7 lbs scoped. My 2nd choice, especially if you feel 6 lbs scoped is just too light. Unless you just happen to already have a Remington mountain rifle and only have to buy the stock the Kimber will be less expensive, and lighter. Accuracy is the same for me.
Posted By: hekin Re: what 5 to 6lb rifle?? - 11/10/09
Originally Posted by cal74
That's what I was told, don't think I'm wrong but someone please correct me if I am. After reading so many possitive comments about them on here I made up my mind that I had to have one and I'm glad I did.

I found my 7mm-08 from another member here I think back in July. At that time I called all around and there were eight .243's still in stock throughout the nation and five .308's at various Ganders. I'm not sure about the blued guns that were made for Cabelas?

That's the story I have heard as well... We have one in .308 and one in .243. Can't say anything bad about them... Light, decent stock, good crown. Just a minor trigger job and they are good to go...
Posted By: p3dr0 Re: what 5 to 6lb rifle?? - 11/10/09
WINCHESTER MODEL 70 XTR FEATHERWEIGHT!
my son uses one and they are deadly acurate
and not that expensive
you cant go wrong
Posted By: Mikem2 Re: what 5 to 6lb rifle?? - 11/10/09
Tried a good number of rifles searching for the under 6 lb rifle.

Tikka T3 light, shoots the best out of the box with factory ammo in .308 and .270 from my experience.

Always go with my Tikka T3 .308 these days.

Posted By: CLB Re: what 5 to 6lb rifle?? - 11/10/09
Originally Posted by JTD0314
Originally Posted by CLB

I have a 270 Win. that shoots Hornday 140 grain sst at about 3/4" They do get hot quick, but if you shoot a group and let it cool down, it is a tack driver!

To be honest, we have had very good success with these rifles.
The only complaint I have had is I think the triggers suck even though they are adjustable I find them "creepy".

We are currently running them in 338-06, 280 Rem and both are "shooters". They subject you to more recoil which I feel is the REAL problem when people say they don't shoot well....IMHO

CLB
Posted By: DJTex Re: what 5 to 6lb rifle?? - 11/10/09
Dave,

If cost is an object at all, (and in my opinion even if it is not), you just can't touch a Montana for a light rifle. The NULA's are great if cost is no object, but for a rifle that can be had in the $1000 range, there is no comparison. On the new ones, you are very likely to get one that shoots and functions great out of the box, and if you get a basket case, you can fix it for a couple hundred or move it and lose a couple hundred and try another one.

I've bought 3 used at bargains off the 'Fire and they have all been great from the get go.

If you want light, you just can't touch Kimber for the $$$$, IMHO. Can't buy it, can't build it for anywhere near the price and get close to as light. Tikkas have their niche, and you know I have some and like them, but the Kimbers are in another league, and I have within a couple hundred of the same money in most of my Kimbers that I have in my Tikkas.

Quit worrying and snag a Montana...you are very unlikely to regret it, and quite likely to experience light rifle euphoria...grin.

It's worth a slight gamble, and nothing is going to be a sure thing.

DJ
Posted By: alpinecrick Re: what 5 to 6lb rifle?? - 11/10/09

Like Brad said, M700 Mtn Guide......

I just wish they would make them in L/A standard cartridges too.....

Casey
Posted By: alpinecrick Re: what 5 to 6lb rifle?? - 11/10/09
Originally Posted by JMR40
A few months ago I got a good deal on one of the stainless Remington ADL mountain rifles in 30-06. I put a Bell and Carlson Alaska Wilderness stock on it and it comes in at 7 lbs scoped. My 2nd choice, especially if you feel 6 lbs scoped is just too light. Unless you just happen to already have a Remington mountain rifle and only have to buy the stock the Kimber will be less expensive, and lighter. Accuracy is the same for me.

Dang I wish I could find more of those ADL SS Mtn rifles at a reasonable cost--after tuning, the two I have are among the most accurate of all my factory rifles........

Casey
Posted By: TWR Re: what 5 to 6lb rifle?? - 11/10/09
I have 3 of the Mountain Guides and they are nice but no longer made. Of course as said, there are a few of them still left...

I only have 1 Kimber 22 rifle and it has been very nice, nice enough that my next rifle will be the Montana. Nothing can touch it for the price from what I've seen.
Posted By: DJTex Re: what 5 to 6lb rifle?? - 11/10/09
You boys are right. The Mountain Guides are really good rifles. I've got a couple I really like, and I would put them in the discussion with the Kimbers - should have done that in my other post. I still put the Kimbers ahead based on liking the stock a lot better and the safety and trigger quite a bit better, but the Mountain Guides are right there and a bit cheaper; some might put them ahead of Kimbers in the SA's because of better throat/magazine geometry. The short magazine and long throat of the Kimber 84M's are about my only criticism, but mine shoot very well despite it.

DJ
Posted By: Eremicus Re: what 5 to 6lb rifle?? - 11/10/09
To expect/demand MOA or better with factory ammo in a 5-6 lb. rifle is really asking too much. You might find a load or two that will, but I wouldn't bet on it.
Really light rifles, by nature, seldom shoot many loads well.
I suspect that most of the so called problems with the Kimbers are simply the result of the new owner not working with his rifle enough to find the right loads.
But, to answer your question, the NULA's. E
Posted By: jimmyp Re: what 5 to 6lb rifle?? - 11/10/09
sometimes I get the terrible urge to sell all of mine and buy 3 NULA's (22, 30 and 37) and be done with it.
Posted By: JTD0314 Re: what 5 to 6lb rifle?? - 11/12/09
Originally Posted by CLB
Originally Posted by JTD0314
Originally Posted by CLB

To be honest, we have had very good success with these rifles.
The only complaint I have had is I think the triggers suck even though they are adjustable I find them "creepy".

We are currently running them in 338-06, 280 Rem and both are "shooters". They subject you to more recoil which I feel is the REAL problem when people say they don't shoot well....IMHO

CLB

I would love to add a 338-06 to my fleet!
Posted By: hekin Re: what 5 to 6lb rifle?? - 11/12/09
Originally Posted by Eremicus
To expect/demand MOA or better with factory ammo in a 5-6 lb. rifle is really asking too much. You might find a load or two that will, but I wouldn't bet on it.
Really light rifles, by nature, seldom shoot many loads well.
I suspect that most of the so called problems with the Kimbers are simply the result of the new owner not working with his rifle enough to find the right loads.
But, to answer your question, the NULA's. E

My Mt Guides in both .308 & .243 shoot 1-2" groups, when I do my part, on a pretty regular basis. Just have to keep an eye on the barrell heat... 150-165grn Nosler AB or Partition handloads for the .308 and plain old 100gr Rem PSP Core-Lokt on the .243... I can get better accuracy with the .308 and handloads, just have not loaded for the .243 yet... SUB MOA is not what I expect, but I think I can get there (or at least close) with the right load.
Posted By: Taconic11 Re: what 5 to 6lb rifle?? - 11/27/09
K22 - I've been in camp for 2 wks., so I couldn't get back to you. I think I bought the kevlar stocked model 7 back in '92. It was $700 or so back then. I believe the Brown Prec. Kevlar Pound'r went for about $318, back then. It's as good of a composite stock that I have ever seen, and much better than most.
Posted By: ChipM Re: what 5 to 6lb rifle?? - 11/27/09
Originally Posted by CLB

I've posted regarding mine and my friends a few times on here. I have them in 338-06 and 280 Rem. Both shoot sub moa groups in fact I worked up a load for the 280 with a 140 Nos AB that is shooting about 1/2" at 100 yds, 3 shots. Friend bought on in 270 and another in a 300 win mag, both sub moa.

You do need to get used to shootin' such a light rifle and remember to pull the gun into your shoulder. Also, the thin barrel heats up quick.

My 280 with burris rings and mounts and a Leupy 3x9x40 weighs in at 6lb 14 oz. The 338-06 w/leupy mount and rings and a leupy 3x9 compact weighs in at 6 lb 15 oz. Best balanced rifles I ever carried. Also have a Weatherby Mark V SS Carbine in 7mm-08, B&C Medalist stock, Talley lightweights, and 3x9x40 leupy is 6 lb 13 oz. I actually bought the 280 and 7mm-08 off of members on the 'fire.

I haven't paid retail on a Weatherby yet though I bought 3 brand new but even at retail feel the ULW is worth the money
Posted By: K22 Re: what 5 to 6lb rifle?? - 11/27/09
K22 - I've been in camp for 2 wks., so I couldn't get back to you. I think I bought the kevlar stocked model 7 back in '92. It was $700 or so back then. I believe the Brown Prec. Kevlar Pound'r went for about $318, back then. It's as good of a composite stock that I have ever seen, and much better than most.

Thanks Taconic11. I'll have to look into both of those stocks.My Model 7 in 17 Rem. with a Rem. synthetic stock, Millet 1 pc base, Leu. Rings, and a Nikon 2.5X8 scopes weighs 8lbs. 1oz on a postal scales. Entirely to much.
I'd like to get down into the 6lb. range and it looks to me that the Kimber Montana might be the cheapest route.
Hope you had a great time in camp.

K22
Posted By: Taconic11 Re: what 5 to 6lb rifle?? - 11/29/09
I'll have too get a scale and weigh My model 7, But I think that it came in around 6lbs. 4oz. with the Leup. compact scope,Conetrol rings & bases and the Decelerator pad. The Brown Prec. Kevlar Pound'r is the stock that is on it. It weighs approx. 15oz.. You'll pay a lot of $ to get a few oz.'s. If I didn't own this, I would probably be going to a Kimber Montana.
Posted By: Wevil Re: what 5 to 6lb rifle?? - 11/29/09
This one works pretty well.
[Linked Image]

700 ti in .270 with a Bushnell 4200 3x9.
Posted By: K22 Re: what 5 to 6lb rifle?? - 11/30/09
I'll have too get a scale and weigh My model 7, But I think that it came in around 6lbs. 4oz. with the Leup. compact scope,Conetrol rings & bases and the Decelerator pad. The Brown Prec. Kevlar Pound'r is the stock that is on it. It weighs approx. 15oz.. You'll pay a lot of $ to get a few oz.'s. If I didn't own this, I would probably be going to a Kimber Montana.

6lbs. 4oz.'s isn't to bad Taconic11. But at the price of those Kevlar stocks, the Kimber Montana is a real bargin. Just wish they made it in 17Rem.
Posted By: toad Re: what 5 to 6lb rifle?? - 11/30/09

that sounds spot on. mine is a little more than that, but it is wearing a 1.5-5 VXIII and a steel XP100 one piece dual dovetail base (i have the early model with single rear base screw hole). both of which are heavier components than yours and i still go under 7# with Montana sling and full mag IIRC.
Posted By: fish30ought6 Re: what 5 to 6lb rifle?? - 11/30/09
handi-rifle in .45-70. oh, wait, it ain't a bolt gun ...
Posted By: woofer Re: what 5 to 6lb rifle?? - 12/01/09
used 700 ti or a 700 mountain restocked. 1k tops and your off.... or you could restock a used adl 06' beater and do just as well with a hi tech or a ti take off all in for $500 mebbe'.. 6# and drag it through the mud....

woofer
Posted By: RAS Re: what 5 to 6lb rifle?? - 12/01/09
Dave,

I would get a T3 SS in 30 cal. I have one in 300 WM and it wears a 3-10 Conquest in Talleys and a Limbsaver. Barks hard w/ 200 gr NPs. My elk gun for MT. VERY accurate.

Again, I would get a T3 SS 30-06 or 308, add a Limbsaver and Talleys, and you will get 1 inch or less groups pretty easy with factory ammo. Less hassle in a lot of ways this way. Trigger is awesome as well.

RAS

Posted By: 65Jeffrey Re: what 5 to 6lb rifle?? - 12/02/09
I am looking for the same general purpose lightweight rifle but i lean a little more towards elk. Anyone here have experience with the Coyote Lite 325WSM from Winchester. Whats real world weight?
Posted By: hunting1 Re: what 5 to 6lb rifle?? - 12/02/09
I love my 700 Ti in 30-06! With hand loads it will clover all day long. It will heat up, but it isn't a varmit rifle!
Posted By: 65Jeffrey Re: what 5 to 6lb rifle?? - 12/03/09
whats the real weight of a TI ?
Posted By: biglmbass Re: what 5 to 6lb rifle?? - 12/03/09
First generation Ti models w/ the Mtn contour barrels were 5 1/4 # for short actions and 5 1/2 # for long actions.
[Linked Image]
really wish they'd bring those back!!
Posted By: Horseman Re: what 5 to 6lb rifle?? - 12/04/09
What stocks did those Titaniums have?
bell and calrson.
Posted By: MtnHtr Re: what 5 to 6lb rifle?? - 12/04/09
Originally Posted by Paul Walukewicz
really wish they'd bring those back!!

Yep, if they would have never changed the original Ti's features they would have sold 20 or 30 times more than the current overpriced Titanium. Big Green left the door wide open for Kimber and took it in the arse with a grin on their face! And Kimber carried the ball even though they fumbled too with their QC issues! whistle

One of Big Green's biggest marketing blunders IMO! How stupid can a marketing exec be?

MtnHtr
Posted By: BradArnett Re: what 5 to 6lb rifle?? - 12/04/09
Well they did give us triangular barrels..... crazy
thank god for that!
© 24hourcampfire