Home
Posted By: StrayDog Steyr Pro Hunter Opinions - 11/30/09
I am starting to like the feel of one of these rifles, although I'm not used to the Euro styling, the tang safety is appealing.

Any Pro Hunter users on the forum?
There are a lot of folks who really like them. I have only owned one. It was a prohunter chambered for .260 Rem. I messed around with it, and shot it a bit, but just couldn't get used to the way it felt in my hands. I don't know if it was the balance or what, but in the end I just couldn't like it.
Posted By: toad Re: Steyr Pro Hunter Opinions - 11/30/09
yea. i have one in .376. still have mixed emotions about it myself, but it shoots like a varmint rifle and hits like an elephant rifle.

the root of the bolt handle prevents mounting optics low. that's my biggest nit.
Posted By: Lee24 Re: Steyr Pro Hunter Opinions - 11/30/09
Germans shoot scoped rifles with their heads up, not scrunched down on the stock. Also, many of their rifles have large objective scopes which are mounted higher, anyway.

Since they hunt so many driven hunts in Europe, the shots are fast, and mounting the rifle is important. Therefore, most of the butt stocks have more drop on them, like a shotgun.
Posted By: Lansend Re: Steyr Pro Hunter Opinions - 11/30/09
Mine is a 376 Steyr with S+B 1.1-4x24 in Talley medium QD rings. Kind of ugly, but very functional.
I have three; 2-.308's and a .280 Rem. I really like mine, IMO they are the most accurate out of the box gun you will find.
Posted By: ringworm Re: Steyr Pro Hunter Opinions - 11/30/09
the last year i have narrowed down my steyr collection. i only have 6.
there are great articles out there i can quote... but to say they are the most accurate and safest rifle out of the box avail today would be an understatement.
ugliest rifle I have ever seen.
Posted By: ringworm Re: Steyr Pro Hunter Opinions - 12/01/09
tight groups make up for the fugly factor.
[Linked Image]
had one in 7mag about 10 years ago that i never took to. traded it in a remington in 300 if i recall correctly
ugliest rifle I have ever seen.

But you think a Savage is all that
Both .308's will do this;
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: ringworm Re: Steyr Pro Hunter Opinions - 12/01/09
u need to check that 280. i think the action screws are loose. my 376 shoot .55" 3 shot groups w/ speer SP's and varget.
Posted By: gory Re: Steyr Pro Hunter Opinions - 12/02/09
I have a stainless Pro hunter in 6.5x55 and it is a great shooting rifle with the 2 loads with 140gr bullets I have shot in it.
A good friend of mine has this rifle chambered in 300 Win mag and claims it to be the most accurate 30 cal he has ever owned, and this fellow does a lot of shooting. This claim made me purchase the one for sale that I saw, damn glad I did.
Regards Greg
Posted By: StrayDog Re: Steyr Pro Hunter Opinions - 12/02/09
The recoil pad on the Pro Hunter looks like it is a couple of inches thick, of course this is only partially actual recoil pad, with the remaining being the adjustable apparatus.

How much adjustment do you have, or how much is the max. and min. LOP?

Is it effective in absorbing felt recoil as well as say a Decelerator or LimbSaver?

I am toying with the idea of a stainless camo stocked model in 300 WSM or maybe 30-06. I rather like the idea of an extremely accurate 30-06 even it it is a bit ugly to look at.
Posted By: ringworm Re: Steyr Pro Hunter Opinions - 12/02/09
its not an aparatus. its removable spacers. dont worry about recoil. i have a 376 that pushes 235's and i can see deer fall in the scope. the stock design removes recoil.
Posted By: StrayDog Re: Steyr Pro Hunter Opinions - 12/02/09
Cool, I'm becoming more convinced.
Posted By: iambrb Re: Steyr Pro Hunter Opinions - 12/02/09
gawd....That thang is Fu-Bugly!

but those pics make me wonder..................
Posted By: ringworm Re: Steyr Pro Hunter Opinions - 12/02/09
7mm Rem. Magnum Bolt Guns: Steyr, Browning Get 'A' Grades
Friday, November 13, 2009

Article courtesy of www.Gun-Tests.com
link
Firing the Federal Vital Shok ammunition topped with a 160-grain Nosler AccuBond bullet, we landed our best single group of our tests, measuring about 0.7 inches across. The Steyr also landed a 0.8-inch group firing the Winchester ammunition. But we also printed a 1.5-inch group with this same ammunition. In our view, the Steyr was the overall winner on our accuracy charts.

Our Team Said: We think the Steyr Pro Hunter was the rifle most likely to be found in the hands of the guide on your next hunting trip. We think the generous gap provided by the full-float barrel helped minimize degradation of accuracy due to heat. We also found the Pro Hunter to be easily managed. Once it was shouldered, we seldom needed to adjust our mount. It slid into position willingly and filled the shoulder pocket. The bolt felt eager to cycle, and even our least experienced staffer said that the trigger was most forgiving. No matter how we engaged the trigger initially, we found it easy to find the control for a good press.
The SSG 08
Tuesday, September 09, 2008 - Guns and Weapons for Law Enforcement

link
Even though I am a sharpshooter instructor and can shoot most rifles to their potential, I am not into benchrest, and groups that small make me smile. With that smile on my face I shot another one. Result, a 0.33 of an inch group. �I can�t be so lucky�, I thought, while I loaded the magazine with three more rounds.

When I shot a 0.28 of an inch group I realized two things. First, that the SSG08 is the most precise out-of-the box rifle I have ever shot, and second, that I could barely scratch its potential on a 300-meter range. You have to bring custom benchrest rifles into the arena to print around 1/4-MOA groups one after the other. Half-MOA, maybe, but not this small.

Steyr-Mannlicher SBS "Light Tactical" - Out of the Box
Guns Magazine, July, 2003 by Jim Gardner
link
Due to the light barrel contour, three round groups were fired at 100 yards from the bench. The worst performance was a PA-inch cluster from Black Hills moly-coated, 168-grain BTHP. Best showings came in at .314 inch from the Remington 168-grain BTHP, and 7/8 inch from the Black Hills Gold 150-grain Nosler ballistic tip load.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: StrayDog Re: Steyr Pro Hunter Opinions - 12/03/09
Originally Posted by ringworm
recoil. i have a 376 that pushes 235's and i can see deer fall in the scope. the stock design removes recoil.

That stock must have a lot of flex.
Posted By: Mod7Nut Re: Steyr Pro Hunter Opinions - 12/03/09
I have a Prohunter Varmint in 22-250 and am thinking about selling my other custom varmint rig. They definately look different but shoot like an SOB!! I am now looking at one in 308.
Posted By: ReadyRob Re: Steyr Pro Hunter Opinions - 12/15/09
I have a stainless Pro Hunter in a .280 and it is my go-to piece. It shoots lights out and I really like the adjustable LOP of the stock. I take two spacers off the end of the stock when I hunt Saskatchewan to compensate for the heavy clothing. I love the Euro look too.
Posted By: Dr_Lou Re: Steyr Pro Hunter Opinions - 12/15/09
I am still pissed that I missed one in 9.3x62 for $600, a couple weeks ago. They're not the prettiest rifle, but IMHO they're prettier than any Savage bolt action, and they're very accurate.
Posted By: smithrjd Re: Steyr Pro Hunter Opinions - 12/16/09
I bought one in 6.5X57 when they were changing distrbuters and were selling them off. Scary accurate, a little heavy and perhaps not the best looking rifle. Function wise and finish as good as a Sako and at least as accurate.
Posted By: TCB Re: Steyr Pro Hunter Opinions - 12/16/09
Anyone interested in a brand new stainless model chambered in 300 wsm?
They are very hard to find in this caliber.
I have one I'm thinking about selling......
It's never been shot, comes with all the papers and factory hard case.
© 24hourcampfire