Home
HELP!! Found a 22-250 in Rem 788 for 350, looks good and I'am tempted to grab it and run, seen were they go for 500 on gun broker, but I want a long range low recoil paper puncher, deer rifle for me and the kids. What you think?
I had a 788 6mm Rem,, With 3 mags.. I was so dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb for selling it.. It was a lefty, but dumb dumb dumb dumb..... Wish I had that one back....
If they are in real good condition, like mine was, and have a couple of mags.... I would haggle a bit, but if you want it you better do something before the next guy...

Good luck with your decision..
DUMB DUMB DUMB>>>>>>>
Dad bought a 788 in 22-250 about 2 months ago in a local pawn shop. It's in decent shape and he gave $250 for it. Breaking it down revealed that it wears a Canjar trigger. He bought it for a beater truck gun to shoot varmints.
Dad bought a .243 around 1969.New. He paid $94 for it, complete with a no-name 4X scope mounted, and a box of ammo. He's still got it, still uses it, too.
Buy it and don't look back. I had an older one with the walnut stock that was quite possibly the most accurate rifle I've ever had. Foolishly sold it, made some money in the process, but I regret it to this day.
I have a 788 in 22-250. Probably the most accurate rifle I have.
788'S are decent rifles that have unfortunately gotten over-priced due to demand. $350 is a good price on today's market - no way would I pay $500 for one. I'd grab that one in a hurry if it is in good shape.

All I've ever shot have been accurate for a factory sporter. The detachable magazine is a big plus for me, I like to be able to load and unload completely and quietly.

They are a bit on the heavy side, that may be something for you to consider with the younguns.

I'm kind of partial to them though so I may be biased....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Hope you've bought it by now..... no reason not to.

I like Remington 788s, but the 22-250s have 1 in 14" ROT barrels, so you're probably limited in the deer bullets that you can load.

I think that if I was going to spend $350 on a 22-250 all-purpose rifle, I'd consider a Marlin XS-7 in 243 and go from there. Or, I'd buy the Marlin XS-7 and then install a Stevens 200 or Savage 11 1 in 9" ROT 223 take-off barrel rechambered to 22-250. A 1 in 9" ROT will allow you to shoot longer and heavier .224" bullets. This is something that I'm thinking about do in early 2010.

Jeff
Get it. I lucked into one last year with a Japanese Tasco 4-12X on it. My son dropped two slickheads at about 200 yards with one shot each using Remington Express 55 gr. softpoints. It shoots sub-MOA with that load.

It's now got a Leupy 4.5-14x50 on it, though we may drop to something fixed or lower variable to save weight.

May Krylon it soon as we're about to raise the Black Flag on Tennessee Coyotes.

I've had it's big brother in .243 since Christmas 1973...
I've owned a couple over the years. Still have a .223 that I bought new back in the late 70's. Probably less that than 40 rounds fired.
Had a 22-250 but let it get away.
Recently found a 30-30 like new, no holes drilled for studs, open sights and the filler screws are all still there, having never been scoped. I gotta get around to that smile
I'd get that 22-250!
Just bought it today, I couldn't stand it so the visa took a 380$ hit today!! LOL It' looks so good in the gun cabinet wearing the Simmons whitetail 3.10.44 on top. Can't wiat to shoot it!!! Early christmas for ME!!!!!
WV, I don't think you'll regret it. I was going to post tonight to egg you on a bit if you hadn't bought it.

I threw the pic's in above to give you some ideas on what could be done with the factory stock finish, if desired.
The top pic is a 22-250 in factory trim.

The second pic has a 223 at the top with a home refinish using a Birchwood-Casey kit. It actually looks better than the pic shows.
The middle rifle is a 243 with a `professional finish to the factory wood. It looks waaaay better than the pic shows.

The camo job was done at home with a light base coat, then I grabbed a handful of fescue to use as a stencil with darker colors of paint in an overspray.

The rifle in the pic with the fat-faced old dog coyote is the 223 refinish job again.

Good luck with the rifle and I hope she shoots as good as most do.
Congrats on the purchase! I'd be really suprised if it doen't shoot lights out, hope it serves you and your family well.

WV

My guess is that it will shoot little bugholes..I've owned several..243, 308, 223, and 30-30. I sold all but the 30-30 and still have sellers remorse! My only complaint, if you can call it that, is that they are a little heafty for me. All in all, I think you will be pleased with your new purchase.
Good for you... I wish I still had mine...

How many mags did it come with? You are going to want to keep an eye out for a few spares..

Wvhunter: If that Rifle is kept in good shape while you are "getting to know it" - then you won't be losing much money (if any at all!) on it!
I am happy for you as those 788's shoot very well indeed!
I have owned and shot a lot of them over the decades and they have all done rather well in the accuracy department.
Keep an eye out for another magazine or two and do some careful load development/ammo testing and I am sure you will be happy with it.
Be sure to let us know how it shoots.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
I can't wait to hit the range!!!
I bought my son one from Wally World when he was 16, he's 45 now, for $89. His best friend bought one, too. My son's always shot just under 1", but the first group his friends gun shot, after sighting in and reloading a max load of 3031, could cover with a dime. My cousin bought a .243 at the same time for the same money. He still shoots it. The 788 is definitely a sows ear that shoots like a silk purse. Good luck.
Good frieg does this gun shoot!!! I can't believe it, I know were there's a 308 at and may have to put it on law a way!!
Congrats.. Good for you.. Every one I have come across shoot better than their owner....

Have fun..
On the scout for a 6 mm now!!!
Ohhh That hurt.... frown
Hey WV....I just picked up a 788 22-250 here locally at my work also..was just browsing and seen your post...where at in WV?
heres a pic of my new 788 and my 700 sps .308 tactical

[Linked Image]
I had one that was my gun of choice when I taught up in Ambler. I shot 20-30 caribou and 1 moose with it. It was stolen from my father's homestead. I have looked for one for years. It could put bullets right ontop of each other.
God I loved that rifle. I went to a Weatherby Varmit special with a nice stock on it. I shot it at the range but I haven't taken it hunting.
The 788s are getting to be collectors up here.

I have two Remington model 660s so I am pretty well remington covered.

I am trying to get a Husqvarna model 610 with an old Weaver K4 on it for $350.00. We will see if it works out. I got to bring the gunshop owner down $50.

Sincerely,
Thomas
© 24hourcampfire