Home
I got a near new 84M Montana that has trouble feeding. Two issues: the bolt wont catch the round or a round binds at the ramp when it does. WTF? Anybody else have this happen in a 30-06? Does Kimber pay for shipping from my house to them and back? It needs to go.

Any thoughts?

RAS (pissed)
Sounds like the feed rail lips need some work.
Forgot to add that it shoots 2-3 MOA. The rifle has issues.

Abybody know their policy in returning their gear??

RAS
Looks like you got somebody elses problem child.
How old is the rifle? I think you meant 8400 not 84. 84 is the short action!!
How old is the rifle? I think you meant 8400 not 84. 84 is the short action!!
Originally Posted by RAS
Anybody else have this happen in a 30-06?

RAS (pissed)

Nope, mine was in .308. I paid shipping there, they back. They replaced the mag spring and ground the feed rails, which fixed the problem of the bolt riding over the case head. But there was still a problem of bullet tips catching on the back edge of the chamber and jamming unless I used polymer-tipped bullets. I have no desire to repeatedly dick with rifles that don't function so it went down the road. Oh yeah, I had the misfire problem too due to miniscule firing pin protrusion, which I remedied. They replaced the firing pin spring just to be safe I guess.
I meant 8400
RAS: Ya shoulda kept that pre 64 30/06 and stuck it in an Edge... smile
Here's how it goes. You get to talk to some sour customer service rep on the phone, go down and open your wallet at the shipping company, wait for weeks to see if they can fix it and then get a late Christmas present. Look at it this way, you get to open up your new rifle twice! Another Kimber success story.
Originally Posted by Horseman
Here's how it goes. You get to talk to some sour customer service rep on the phone, go down and open your wallet at the shipping company, wait for weeks to see if they can fix it and then get a late Christmas present. Look at it this way, you get to open up your new rifle twice! Another Kimber success story.

Horseman,

Are they that bad?
Kimber will issue a call tag to pick it up from you and then deliver it back to you. Someone 21 yoa or older needs to be home to sign for it.
Originally Posted by SAKO85BAV
Originally Posted by Horseman

Horseman,

Are they that bad?

That's how my experience went. Two different rifles.
That's how my experience went. Two different rifles.

2 years ago I returned a 84m classic to them and they replaced everything but the receiver,bolt body . New Stock(very nice)old stock warped, bottom metal,safety and they fixed the accuracy problem. I got it back in less then 2 weeks and it took 4 days to get there from where I live.
I would NEVER buy a used Kimber.
Neil
I have.

Anybody got a 7-08 or 338 Fed in a Montana 84M that they are afraid of?
I know guys that have Kimber rifles and swear by them, but I also hear quite a few horror stories too. It seems to be crap shoot whether you get a good one or a lemon.
Rugers, Remingtons, and Winchesters don't get this kind of ink here when they go back. That's a good percentage of the Kimber Crapshoot I believe.

I personally have had issues with two... Both were used and somebody elses lemons.

I also don't have a lot of faith in Kimbers warranty repairs at the NY factory...

Kimber really needs to window the mag boxes on their rifles. Putting a spring in the box that you could use as a spare in your 1/2 ton pick-up IS NOT a fix.

But I'm a picky SOB on my guns, ask my smith. A good CRF gunsmith can make a Kimber feed .473 cartridges like greased monky spooj on glass.
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

2 years ago I returned a 84m classic to them and they replaced everything but the receiver,bolt body . New Stock(very nice)old stock warped, bottom metal,safety and they fixed the accuracy problem. I got it back in less then 2 weeks and it took 4 days to get there from where I live.

So, why didn't they replace all those parts before they shipped it in the first place?

IMO, they KNOW they have these problems, so there is no excuse for sub-par rifles STILL going out the door...
On the one I had, I had them polish the feed ramp and tune the trigger. It fed fine and was accurate, I just didn't like how it ground off the bullet nose while feeding. They fixed it and had it back to me in 2 weeks. I then tweaked the trgigger myself......
I am sorry to hear about your problems... I had some serious issues with a Montana and had to send it back to Kimber.. The chamber was out to the point factory ammount would not load.. they worked the chamber.. I got the gun back and the best I could get it to do was 2.5 to 3 inch groups (three months of reloading and 2 factory rounds later, I sold it.... I then swore I would never buy another product from Kimber. (one good choice)

They were very helpful on the original repair.... pain in the behind on the accuracy problems.
So, why didn't they replace all those parts before they shipped it in the first place?

IMO, they KNOW they have these problems, so there is no excuse for sub-par rifles STILL going out the door...

It went back for the warped stock.and I upgraded the safety to a 3 pos. Nothing wrong with anything else other then really bad accuracy. I agree they have absolutely zero QA and for something that sells for 1K it shouldn't have to go back in the volume they do...I never had to send back a 400 dollar Ruger for anything.
© 24hourcampfire