Home
Posted By: GuyM Get much practice? - 12/29/09
You guys do much practice?

I love shooting - sometimes though it seems like I'm running a small factory, loading .308 ammo!

Guy
Posted By: 65X54 Re: Get much practice? - 12/29/09
Not sure if it's practice or not but after the late doe season we'll shift over to varmint shooting for a while. About April start gearing up for high power through the summer. I know what you mean about the factory thing with the .223 and .308 being the main course through the summer.
Posted By: GuyM Re: Get much practice? - 12/29/09
Pretty much the same here, I always feel sort of let-down after the end of deer season. Then I get out for coyotes a few times over the winter. Then there's rockchucks and maybe sage rats in the spring. Somewhere in there I might shoot a couple of highpower matches.

Pretty much year-round I try to get one day a week at the range. Use the .22, .308 and the .45 ACP the most. The .308 generates most of my handloading chores.
Posted By: DMB Re: Get much practice? - 12/29/09
During the summer, I shoot at least 3 days per week, But, now that snow has taken over the range, I can't shoot at all.
Posted By: Redneck Re: Get much practice? - 12/29/09
Originally Posted by GuyM
You guys do much practice?

I love shooting - sometimes though it seems like I'm running a small factory, loading .308 ammo!

Guy
I wish... (sigh)..
Posted By: Mauser12 Re: Get much practice? - 12/29/09
My goal is once a week. I don't always make it but I come close.
Posted By: doubletap Re: Get much practice? - 12/29/09
Just loaded 10 boxes of 257 Weatherby. Guess I better get to the range and practice so I can load them again.
Guy, we do the pistol thing too, 45 acp & 38 wadcutter. Have a 25 yd indoor here at home. Kids (adult now) and the other half like the bullseye thing. Used to drive me nuts with ammo until I got a dillon 650 that fixed that.
Posted By: heavywalker Re: Get much practice? - 12/29/09
This time of year I usually try and get shooting in on the weekends and load ammo during the week. It is just to dark by the time I get home from work to do any shooting this time of year. During the summer though there is a lot more ammo going down range.
Posted By: doubletap Re: Get much practice? - 12/29/09
This time of year I'm more likely to shoot a 38 than a 45. It's tough to find brass in the snow.
doubletap, I wouldn't think it would be too hard to find the 45's in the snow, just look for all of the little holes where they went under.....
Posted By: medicman Re: Get much practice? - 12/29/09
I hear you about brass in the snow. I spread a plastic tarp down which works fine for the 45. I dump the 38 wheel gun in a bucket, so that is not a problem.
Randy
Posted By: nmitchell Re: Get much practice? - 12/29/09
I shoot something just about every day.

It's GREAT to be retired!

Neil
Posted By: roundoak Re: Get much practice? - 12/29/09
Originally Posted by nmitchell
I shoot something just about every day.

It's GREAT to be retired!

Neil

How true it is...retired in November. I shoot one thing or another every day.
RO
Posted By: passport Re: Get much practice? - 12/29/09
I shoot at least once a week and try to shoot twice a week, saturday/sunday. I shoot lots of shotgun in the winter and that cuts into my rifle shooting but if I dont get some rifle trigger time at least once a week I get cranky, just ask the wife.......
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Get much practice? - 12/29/09
I NEED to practice way more offhand shooting.
Sucked it up big time this morning on the 200 yard jumbo gong!
(had an excuse, forgot what it was though)
Posted By: Rancho_Loco Re: Get much practice? - 12/29/09
You didn't drink any beer yesterday.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Get much practice? - 12/29/09
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
You didn't drink any beer yesterday MORNING.

Fixed
Certainly couldn't have hurt this morning!
"Shooting fluid"
I do think my shooting is greatly improved since I've cut way back on the coffee.
That could certainly be the case when a guy ain't using a rest.

I loaded up heavily on the caffeine this morning so that excuse works!

Also it probably helps to be in decent shape(upper body). The 12oz curls as of late don't do much for a guys strength.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Get much practice? - 12/29/09
Speed and a light trigger help much offhand I believe. The nanosecond the crosshairs hit the mark I'm slapping the trigger. Things don't get better the longer you hold it.
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Things don't get better the longer you hold it.

Nope, they sure don't!
Posted By: Powerguy Re: Get much practice? - 12/30/09
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Things don't get better the longer you hold it.

Nope, they sure don't!

I've three kids from not holding it enough grin
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Get much practice? - 12/30/09
Sounds like you need more practice(or not)....grin
Posted By: Powerguy Re: Get much practice? - 12/30/09
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Sounds like you need more practice(or not)....grin

I can't afford anymore practice Sam, I need to just retire it. grin
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Get much practice? - 12/30/09
(grin)
Posted By: blklabs Re: Get much practice? - 12/30/09
Not as much as I should, I really need to practice with a handgun. The .9mm were hard to get at one time so instead of wasting ammo I though I would use a .22 caliber Browning Buck Mark. Ammo is cheap and I can use an indoor range that's for .22 caliber only.
Posted By: Seafire Re: Get much practice? - 12/30/09
taking some time off to go over to the range today.. since we just had a storm front thru, that dropped snow and rain..

to try to keep on practice, shows how useless a season winter is...

just something we all have to endure each year.. like one endures a tooth ache or something..

no wonder as people get older they head to Arizona or the like..

the older I get, the less patience I have with working my way around 'winter' each year..
Posted By: stumpy Re: Get much practice? - 12/30/09
We hunt feral pigs year around. Since I keep the family's guns all sighted in for those and trying new ammo, I get to shoot quite a bit with the rifles. We shoot pistols and rimfires at the ranch year around also.

stumpy
© 24hourcampfire