Home
Posted By: orion03 Model 94 in 32 Special - 01/01/10
Just traded a friend out of a Model 94 in 32 SPL. that was made in 1951. This thing doesn't have a mark on it and am not sure if it has even been shot. Would love to use it for our late doe season coming up, but not sure whether I should shoot it or not. I really want to, shots would be 50 yards or less, but at the same time I don't want to put a ding in it. Found an old box of Remington 170gr. Core-Lokt's in my stash so I'm set to go. Usually I don't get to excited about levers, but this gun has deer rifle written all over it. What do you guys think, put it in the safe, or put some venison in the freezer?
Posted By: Bricktop Re: Model 94 in 32 Special - 01/01/10
That rifle was made to be shot and hunted. Sitting in a safe should only be secondary.
Posted By: VAnimrod Re: Model 94 in 32 Special - 01/01/10
Originally Posted by Bricktop
That rifle was made to be shot and hunted. Sitting in a safe should only be secondary.

Holy crap.............

We agree on something, and damned near to the letter of the thought.

Originally Posted by VAnimrod
Holy crap.............

Who'd have figured that? wink
I would shoot it.
Posted By: Ol` Joe Re: Model 94 in 32 Special - 01/01/10
I took my 1st deer with a late 1920 early 30s` vintage M94 in 32spcl. So did my grandfather, dad, and younger brother if I`m not mistaken. The old gal still would put meat in the freezer if I could quit buying new rifles and give her 1/2 a chance.
I say take it hunting..
Posted By: Aileinduinn Re: Model 94 in 32 Special - 01/01/10
My Dad always says, "what good is owning a rifle that you can't tell stories about?"

Take it out and get your game.
Posted By: mudhen Re: Model 94 in 32 Special - 01/01/10
If you bought it for a collector or as an investment, don't hunt it. If you bought it because the thought of hunting deer with it appealed to you, go ahead. Unless you hunt out of a tree stand, I can't think of many ways you could abuse it in southeastern Nebraska other than soaking it in pouring rain or a heavy, wet snow and then putting it up wet. Carry it in a protective case until you are ready to hunt, then wear gloves as you carry it. Be careful to keep blood off of the blueing. Wipe it down and clean it good when you get home.

In good condition, it will be valuable to your kids and/or grandkids. The memories that you make with it will be invaluable to you and to them, as well.

Good catch!
Posted By: Rman Re: Model 94 in 32 Special - 01/01/10
Hunt it! There are may ways to protect a rifle from scratches and dings.

R.
Posted By: Cariboujack Re: Model 94 in 32 Special - 01/01/10
Go shoot something with it. You'll be glad you did. You will have a memory together.
Posted By: BFaucett Re: Model 94 in 32 Special - 01/01/10
Originally Posted by Cariboujack
Go shoot something with it. You'll be glad you did. You will have a memory together.

+1 !!

-Bob F.
Posted By: rcbergs Re: Model 94 in 32 Special - 01/01/10
Sounds to me like you bought it for hunting.You probably traded a gun that you used for hunting or shooting.In my opinion if you don't hunt with it your down one gun in your arsenal.It will be agony to have a rifle that you want to hunt with and all you can do is look at it and handle it and and just dream about how fun it would be to take it hunting and take a whitetail down with a piece of American history.Unless it is a rare model of the 94 it's probably worth less than some of the rifles you take out now.Use it but don't abuse it and the value will still be there later.Good hunting.

Bob
Posted By: Junior1942 Re: Model 94 in 32 Special - 01/01/10
Hunt with it and don't worry about dings. Behind every ding there's a memory.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Model 94 in 32 Special - 01/01/10
Holy crap.............

And I agree as well....maybe the world will be coming to an end soon....? wink

Ingwe
Posted By: Kimberman Re: Model 94 in 32 Special - 01/01/10
I have my Great Grandad's 32 Model 94 that was built in 1927. I took my first deer which is still my nicest with it. My Great Grandad would be pissed if I didnt hunt with that rifle!
Originally Posted by ingwe
Holy crap.............

And I agree as well....maybe the world will be coming to an end soon....? wink

Ingwe
HUSH YOUR MOUTH!!! shocked
Posted By: orion03 Re: Model 94 in 32 Special - 01/01/10
Do you guys think that those old 170gr. Core-Lokt's will do an OK job?
Posted By: Rman Re: Model 94 in 32 Special - 01/01/10
They will be difficult to beat. Hornady and others really won't matter, as they are all excellent! I had thought Barnes made an Original in this calibre, but they do not.

R.
Posted By: Swampman700 Re: Model 94 in 32 Special - 01/01/10
Go hunting I want a Marlin 336 in .32 Winchester Special.
Posted By: tbear Re: Model 94 in 32 Special - 01/01/10
I took my first deer in the 50's with a borrowed Mod. 94 in 32 Special. I was given a well used, but sound copy several years ago for Fathers Day & after cleaning up left in the safe. I decided to use on a Florida boar hunt last year & shot 3 boar/hogs with the old classic cartridge. I would say carry the rifle in a lightweight canvas or cloth gun case & enjoy shooting a nostalgic cartridge. Good hunting.
Posted By: croldfort Re: Model 94 in 32 Special - 01/01/10
I have a 50's Mod 94 in .32Win and also an 80's Mod 94 16" Wrangler that I replaced the hoop lever with a standard lever. It carries easier in a scabbard with the standard lever and has lived in my truck during deer season. I also love those Marlin Mod 336's in .35Rem. I have two old guns in a carbine and a rifle. Good luck.
Posted By: orion03 Re: Model 94 in 32 Special - 01/01/10
Went out and shot it just now, and at 25 yards I had all 3 shots touching. I realize this is no great shakes, but I was plenty pleased with it. It should do nicely for the deer hunting I have planned. Thanks for all of the words of encouragment.
Posted By: sambo3006 Re: Model 94 in 32 Special - 01/01/10
Very cool!
I've got a receiver sighted 1949 Marlin 336 .32 Special that hasn't been hunted yet (well, at least by me). Got a box of Winchester 170 gr silver tips and a couple hundred Hornady 170's to stuff back in the empties. Maybe next year!

Hope you lay the smackdown on a doe!
Posted By: Jeff_O Re: Model 94 in 32 Special - 01/01/10
I have one built in 1904. I kilt a doe with it; it put that deer down pronto!

You might check headspace on an older M94. Mine is out of spec, and I was told that's common.

Posted By: Junior1942 Re: Model 94 in 32 Special - 01/02/10
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
....You might check headspace on an older M94. Mine is out of spec, and I was told that's common.

Easy to fix with an oversized locking bolt from Wisners.
Posted By: MagMarc Re: Model 94 in 32 Special - 01/02/10

You guys have 2 years to worry about that wink Now if you start being great friends in 2011 the Mayan were probably right laugh
Posted By: ingwe Re: Model 94 in 32 Special - 01/02/10
And if we can get VAnimrod and Lee24 to " Buddy Up" then for sure we better be watching the horizon for the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse....

grin
Ingwe
Originally Posted by Ol` Joe
I took my 1st deer with a late 1920 early 30s` vintage M94 in 32spcl. So did my grandfather, dad, and younger brother if I`m not mistaken. The old gal still would put meat in the freezer if I could quit buying new rifles and give her 1/2 a chance.
I say take it hunting..
+1 I have one just like it equipped with a vintage receiver mounted peep sight. Mine, though, is not mint, so I can understand being hesitant to hunt with it, but I think I would.
Originally Posted by orion03
Do you guys think that those old 170gr. Core-Lokt's will do an OK job?
Of course.
Posted By: Blacktail53 Re: Model 94 in 32 Special - 01/02/10
I had a similar dilemma.

I was given a 94 in .32 Spcl by my elk hunting mentor just prior to his passing away. It was his first deer rifle and he wanted it to go to someone that would appreciate it. He had no delusion that I'd actually hunt it and said so.

That bothered me - so I took it on a mule deer hunt and vowed to shoot the first legal buck I saw.
Mission complete and now I have my own story and bond to the rifle. I'm glad I hunted her!
[Linked Image]
My dad and uncles used to debate on wich was better, the 30-30 or the 32 special. I like them both.

I would for sure use the rifle. That's what it was made for. Many deer here in Michigan have fallen to the 32 special.
Posted By: NH K9 Re: Model 94 in 32 Special - 01/02/10
Hunt it!

"We" (my dad) has one and it's accounted for quite a few deer family-wide.

George
Posted By: ColdBore Re: Model 94 in 32 Special - 01/02/10
My dad's first deer rifle was a 1940's era M94 in 32 Win Spl.

A few years back, I decided to hunt with it one day, with my dad along, for nostalgia reasons. Sure enough, a few does came along at about 40 yards. I picked the biggest one, and dropped her literally where she stood.

It was a special day, that formed even more memories with that rifle.

Unless yours is truly unshot, new-in-box, with all tags, etc and genuinely collectible, go hunt with it. Safe queens are very rapidly losing interest to me.
Posted By: kevinh1157 Re: Model 94 in 32 Special - 01/02/10
Shoot it, hunt with it, create a legacy for it. I still have my Parker-Hale 243 that I got in 1971 for my 14th birthday. I cringed when I dinged it in the field then, but remember every mark made on it with fondness now. I still get out with it once a year or so. It's taken some nice deer and more than it's share of CA pigs over the last 39 years.
Posted By: blklabs Re: Model 94 in 32 Special - 01/02/10
I have a Winchester Model 94 pre 64 in a .30-30 caliber that I can't shoot. I was always trying to buy this rifle from my father just to own something special, but he wouldn't sell it to me. He was a gun dealer in a sporting goods store. When another dealer sold out he bought two, one to shoot and one for investment. He never knew Winchester would discontinue making the 94, being a pre 64 was the reason he held on to it. When he passed away 11 years ago he left it to me. To this day It has never been fired, never been out of the box, and it still has the cosmoline on it. So I'll do what he did, I will use it as an investment. I do have a model 94 saddle ring carbine made in 1928 that someone took the value out of it by refinishing it. This rifle is fun to shoot and hunt with. As far as hunting with your 32 special, that depends if you want to make money with it down the road or just have fun hunting with it.
Posted By: Fast_Ed Re: Model 94 in 32 Special - 01/07/10
I have my Father-in-Laws 1933 vintage .32 SPL Win 64, which is basically a 94 in a different stock. I hunt with it and now understand what all the fuss is about. They are easy to carry, easy to shoulder, give fast follow-up shots, are made for close cover, fast shooting, but are still more than accurate enough for 200 yard shots, and have a certain panache that the run-of-the-mill bolt gun does not have.

If you are concerned about scratches and dings, wrap it in camo vet wrap to protect it while hunting and unwrap it to admire it when you are done. The vet wrap pads the entire gun but leaves no residue and camo's it to boot! Look here.

http://www.mcnett.com/Camo-Form-Protective-Camouflage-Wrap-P274.aspx

Fast Ed
Posted By: derby_dude Re: Model 94 in 32 Special - 01/07/10
Can 32 Special ammo still be found in the stores or is it strictly a reload assuming brass is still available?
Posted By: Ol` Joe Re: Model 94 in 32 Special - 01/07/10
I saw it in at least one gunshop here last fall. Midway sells it in Federal, Winchester, and Remington flavor but, it`s out of stock today.
Posted By: luke Re: Model 94 in 32 Special - 01/07/10
Congrats, that is a GOOD gun!
Posted By: Kimberman Re: Model 94 in 32 Special - 01/08/10
Originally Posted by derby_dude
Can 32 Special ammo still be found in the stores or is it strictly a reload assuming brass is still available?

Most gun shops around here have some on the shelves. I have dies and plenty of brass for mine, but with factory ammo so easy to find, I dont bother reloading for it.
Posted By: Fast_Ed Re: Model 94 in 32 Special - 01/13/10
Hornady is loading their LeverRevolution ammo in .32 Special. That may extend the range to an honest 250-300 yards although sighting becomes an issue once you get out that far and it would seem to me to be a shame to scope one of these.

Fast Ed
© 24hourcampfire