Home
Posted By: Hawken Ruger Boat Paddle stocks. - 01/16/10
I'm in the minority and have always liked the way they look.

Are there still any companys that make custom inserts for them?
Posted By: rottal77 Re: Ruger Boat Paddle stocks. - 01/16/10
Sorry, I havnt seen anyone that offers anything for the old boat paddles. I think you are one of the rare few that actually liked them :-)

I do have two sitting in my basement though Ive pulled off of a .35 Whelen and a .338 Win mag action if anyone needs any extras....
i have a 30-06 ruger for sale that has a paddle stock
They weren't covered up in beauty, but they are more stable than the MkII synthetic stock.
I have one on my 300WM, and the dang thing shoots so good, I cant justify replacing it! And besides that, you never know when you might lose your paddle and need to use the stock for its originally designed purpose!
Hawken -

Congrtulations on your good taste!

When I purchased my .300 WM it came with the Canoe Paddle stock and was seriously discounted because, I guess, no one wanted a rifle with that stock. In fact, my intent at the time of purchase was to replace the stock with a laminate.

Instead, I put a sling on the stock, which quieted down the sling swivels, and took it hunting. What I discovered was that 1) the stock was rugged as heck and 2) did not appear to detract from accuracy. I also enjoyed the fact that it was synthetic � no worries about water damage, dings, etc. In the end I decided it was a keeper.

Although �different�, I�ve always kind of liked the look.

Would I buy another one? You bet.

My stock came with wood (walnut?) inserts. I thought that was rather ridiculous on a synthetic stock so I ordered the synthetic inserts from Rugers. When the inserts came, I found out the screw lengths used were different as well, so I had to call Ruger and order new screws.

I had a Ruger with one of these stocks. It was a Stainless .25-06 Rem. The gun came to me used on a trade and I could not stand its ugliness. After I removed the noisy swivels, I took the plastic inserts off and painted the stock with a charcoal textured paint. The paint had sand-like material in it and made a mess in my garage. I painted the inserts a flat black, including the screws, installed some sling swivels, and when I put it all back together again it was pretty handsome. A friend fell in love with it and I owed him some favors, so he talked me out of it. I really wanted to keep it, but I replaced it with a Kimber Montana in .257 Roberts. I love that rifle, too.
Hawkwen,
I made some out of cabinet grade plywood and some aluminum sex bolts from the hardware store. It wasn't to hard. Looked pretty good. A cabinet shop could probably get you a scrap piece for free. Of course this gun is long gone now frown
Originally Posted by dumredneck
Hawkwen,
I made some out of cabinet grade plywood and some aluminum sex bolts from the hardware store. It wasn't to hard. Looked pretty good. A cabinet shop could probably get you a scrap piece for free. Of course this gun is long gone now frown

Boat paddle stocks? I cain't even find sex bolts around here anymore! grin
Posted By: JimHnSTL Re: Ruger Boat Paddle stocks. - 01/16/10
i have several ruger all weathers and while the boat paddle stock is durable and one you can be comfortable in working it hard i have yet to have a all weather rifle that did not shoot better when placed into any of the other factory stocks. two of them cut their groups in half after such stock swap. don't get me wrong, any of them as is would have been more than enough to hunt whitetail with but it sure makes range day a bit more fun.
Posted By: whsk Re: Ruger Boat Paddle stocks. - 01/17/10
my son has a "boat paddle" Ruger 300 Win mag that shoots several different loads so well he is afraid to touch it!
I have two rifles with the boat paddle stocks... 260 rem and 270 win. I think they are about perfect. What else do I need?
I have two boat paddle stocked rifles, a Ruger M77 SE in 35 Whelan and a ss in 280 Rem. Both are scarey accurate and durable as all get out. I would buy another if I could find one for sale.
Posted By: super T Re: Ruger Boat Paddle stocks. - 01/17/10
I think that all the synthetics are ugly, some are worse than others; but Ruger's boat paddle wins the ugly contest. If you want pretty you gotta have a nice piece of wood. That said I'm currently looking for a Ruger boat paddle in 7mm08 because I don't alway want or need pretty.
I have one in a 30.06 UL and I love the way it handles. I guess it is ugly but it is my all weather gun so I am more interested in function over looks. After doing a trigger job mine shoots great!
Posted By: Whelen_B Re: Ruger Boat Paddle stocks. - 01/17/10
Small thing but I like the indented shape of the canoe paddle's butt stock area because it's easy to grab with one hand.
I put this canoe paddle on my 358Frontier for messing around with bear baits. I'm saving the original cute lil wood laminated one from all that stickiness etc. Seems to shoot accurately enough and it is just about the best knock about stock IMO. Got someone's cast off for 50 bucks. Works 4me.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: ring3 Re: Ruger Boat Paddle stocks. - 01/17/10
300 Win mag. boat paddle. Very accurate with my handloads. Bought this one new and it has taken many deer. I liked the stock when I bought it and still do. Factory sling mounts are loud. Had the trigger adj. to about 3#s. I wonder how the next generation will view these rifles?
my 338 was a pleasure to shoot off the bench with that stock......lol. ouch.
Originally Posted by high_country_
my 338 was a pleasure to shoot off the bench with that stock......lol. ouch.

Still laughing...

The pad on my .300 WM always leave ripple marks on my shoulder unless I'm wearing a coat.

Still, it's definitely a keeper.
Does Limbsaver make a recoil pad that fits these boat paddle stocks?
Posted By: VAhuntr Re: Ruger Boat Paddle stocks. - 01/17/10
Originally Posted by JustLucky
Does Limbsaver make a recoil pad that fits these boat paddle stocks?

I believe it is part #10010
I confess I've always liked them. Last people I knew who had the inserts was Boyd's and when I inquired a while back I believe they said there were no more.
[Linked Image]

Hard to call ugly, or care if you do, something that works so well. And they do.
THey work for me. I've got one on my 338, and am considering trading my Hawkeye stock out and putting a skeleton stock on my 30-06. I like them.
Posted By: Shag Re: Ruger Boat Paddle stocks. - 01/18/10
I stumble upon a MK II in 30-06 yesterday with the Dupont Zytel Synthetic stock. It's a beauty!!! Looks as though it's never been fired!!!!! I dig the old stainless finish on the 77's.

At $485 I think it's a steal... What the wife don't know can't hurt right? smile
I went on the Limbsaver website but did not find product #10010. Did I miss it?
I always thought they were butt ugly. I had a buddy that had a 7mmMag that would shoot one ragged hole, and he swore that it kicked less than his wood stocked models. Made me want one. I haven't found it yet.
Posted By: VAhuntr Re: Ruger Boat Paddle stocks. - 01/18/10
Originally Posted by JustLucky
I went on the Limbsaver website but did not find product #10010. Did I miss it?

Sorry it should be #10011

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=960397
Posted By: Hawken Re: Ruger Boat Paddle stocks. - 01/19/10
Wow!I saw some inserts that looked like scrimshawed Ivory and thought they looked cool; I didn't expect this to become a boat paddle love thread!

Mine is a .270 win. It was made in 93,and I bought it used in 1994, threw an old redfield tracker on it and proceeded to beat it relentlessly every year since. It has spent its life in the truck, in the woods or in the closet.It's a great shooting beater that has never failed me.And I still think it's pretty!

Srwshooter: how much are you looking to get for the 06?
I own three with those stocks, and love them! Very durable, light, and skinny. You can also take a rag with some Break-Free on it, rub down the stock, and it will look brand new.
Posted By: Fotis Re: Ruger Boat Paddle stocks. - 01/19/10
Sorry fellas but there is not enough $$ in the world for me to own that.
© 24hourcampfire