Home
Posted By: JRaw 338 Win Mag Barrel Length - 02/05/10
So what do you see as the ideal barrel length for a 338 Win Mag?

If it matters, intended quarry is elk in the Rockies, and everything but mountain game in Alaska (moose, 'bou, bear of both species).

Stainless Model 70s in 338 command a premium (as do the even more rare 375), but now that the Extreme Weather will be offered in 338, prices will drop. The BOSS drops the price even more; thinking about cutting it off if'n I find one for cheap enough.
Posted By: HawkI Re: 338 Win Mag Barrel Length - 02/05/10
Mine have all been 24" in factory rifles. A 26 just seems crazy in a hunting rifle, to me.

If having a tube put on, 22 or the quirky 23 would be my choice.

I think JB had a 22", and never had any appreciable velocity loss.

I'd definitely kill the BOSS, even if it was only 20".
Posted By: pyro6999 Re: 338 Win Mag Barrel Length - 02/05/10
i love magnums, and to me belted magnums give you the most bang for your buck with 26" tubes, 24" is ok too. bad part is that longer barrels can present challenges to carry in heavy timber. i think the .338 can be in a 24" tube and you wont lose out on a ton of performance.
Posted By: k3yston3 Re: 338 Win Mag Barrel Length - 02/05/10
I've always like 23-24" barrels on my magnumbs if I inteded to do much timber hunting for elk. 26" is great for shooting across a chronograph but it does make for a long rifle in the field
I have 2 338's. One 26 in, one 24 in. Chronographing the same loads through each reveals virtually no change between barrel lengths. Some are a bit quicker in the 26, some a touch better in the 24. I do not think I have ever seen more than a 50 FPS advantage for the 26, most of the time they are real close.

That said I like the 24 to carry.
I had a tube screwed on and it finishes @ 23". If I was to do it again, it would be a 22" barrel.

Besides JB, I think Rick Bin has one of his customs listed with a 22" (.338WM) under the Custom Rifles forum. It is the first post under the "Blueprints" topic.
Posted By: 7 STW Re: 338 Win Mag Barrel Length - 02/05/10
26 perfered but wouldn't bitch about a 24.Nothing shorter due to muzzle blast.
Posted By: CP Re: 338 Win Mag Barrel Length - 02/05/10
I am running a 22� barrel. With 65grs of RL-15, it will spit out 210 gr. NPs at an overall average speed of 2884 ft/sec. For me, I did not give up anything to have a little easier handling rifle in the brush. CP.
23" is the way I'd go

Dober
Posted By: pyro6999 Re: 338 Win Mag Barrel Length - 02/05/10
Originally Posted by Gone_Huntin
I have 2 338's. One 26 in, one 24 in. Chronographing the same loads through each reveals virtually no change between barrel lengths. Some are a bit quicker in the 26, some a touch better in the 24. I do not think I have ever seen more than a 50 FPS advantage for the 26, most of the time they are real close.

That said I like the 24 to carry.

im sure you are all aware of this, but i will mention it anyway, when you get higher in bullet diameters the speed lose vs barrel length is very marginal. if you have a 26" .375H&H and your buddy has a 24" barrel on his the speed difference will be probably less than 50 fps, in .338 it would probably be in that 50-75 fps difference between 24" and 26" tubes which is really not a big deal.
Originally Posted by JRaw

If it matters, intended quarry is elk in the Rockies, and everything but mountain game in Alaska (moose, 'bou, bear of both species).

Stainless Model 70s in 338 command a premium (as do the even more rare 375), but now that the Extreme Weather will be offered in 338, prices will drop. The BOSS drops the price even more; thinking about cutting it off if'n I find one for cheap enough.
.................Depends on your definition of ideal. If you`re looking strictly for the best possible velocity regardless of your hunting terrain condition, the 26" tube would be your best choice for the 338 Win.

Even though you can do so in heavier timber, brush, thickets, etc, a 26" barrel making the rifle approx 46.5" in OAL may not be the most ideal way to go.

Adapt your barrel length to your terrain conditions the majority of the time. Besides; any 20" 22" 23" or 24" barreled 338 Win will do anything a 26" barreled 338 Win will do. Given the same shooting distances, an estimated 100-130 fps loss from a barrel 4" to 6" shorter, won`t make any killing difference on any elk, moose or big bear, nor affect accuracy.

Even in the longer ranged more open plains country, my 375 Ruger Alaskan with its 20" barrel, will do anything any longer barreled 375 H&H will do. But when you throw into the mix heavier and thicker terrains, timbers, brush, etc., a rifle 40.75" in overall rifle length (such as my Alaskan), is certainly better to carry around than a rifle 45" to 47" long.

The best possible velocity is all well and good. But also consider the rifle too and how you will use it for the easist and most convenient use.

Posted By: test1328 Re: 338 Win Mag Barrel Length - 02/05/10
I've got a M70 .338 with the 26" barrel. My dad has one in a Rem M700 with a 24" barrel. With the same loads, mine shoots just a little faster than his, but not enough to make any difference for hunting. I've personally never been bothered by the 26" barrel. But for AK, I suppose I would go with a 24". One thing I would do if I bought one with a Boss would be to just scrap the barrel and put a new one on at the length and contour that you want. You'll probably end up with a better shooter that way. My buddy who is a guide/outfitter in AK has my old SS M70 .338. He loves that rifle and says it has never failed him so I think you're making a good choice here. By the way, I also have one of those rare M70 SS .375s (grin!). It shoots great!
Test
Posted By: JMeier Re: 338 Win Mag Barrel Length - 02/05/10
I've been happy with 24in, and when I wear the barrel out on it, I'll put either a 23in or another 24in on it.
I've had both 22" & 24" barrels...........about 50-65 FPS difference in velocity, IIRC.

I'd never have a 26" & the 22" is very handy but some guns seem to balance a little better with a 24".

Just a matter of what you want & like as the real performance difference is non-existent.

MM
Posted By: GF1 Re: 338 Win Mag Barrel Length - 02/05/10
I like 24" in this caliber; you can by with one as short as 22", but you've gone past diminishing returns (is you want a handier/lighter rifle, get a .338/06 w/ 22" barrel).
Posted By: mudhen Re: 338 Win Mag Barrel Length - 02/05/10
I had mine built (on a Remington-made '03 action) with a 23-inch Douglas barrel. I am not a speed freak, but hand loads chrono pretty much like the book data for the most part. The only ones that were noticeably slower were with 225 grain Swift A-Frames, probably because the jacket material was a little "stickier". In a Rimrock stock, it balances and handles nicely, even in Colorado aspen thickets.
Posted By: 7 STW Re: 338 Win Mag Barrel Length - 02/05/10
I like the 22 idea but thats gotta chit kick your ears.My 22 270 is loud enough.
24" here!
Posted By: blargon Re: 338 Win Mag Barrel Length - 02/06/10
Mine is 26", but its out right now getting trimmed to 23"...
I have a customized SS Model 70 in 338wm with a 26" barrel. For me it "feels" about right. When I shoot this barrel out I may get a 24" or I may not.

I agree with the previous posters who are of a mind that there is little performance gain, I think it is how it handles. Personally, my shortest barreled rifle is a 22" 3006 and that is as short as I would go. My longer barrels, for me, just handle better.

Respectfully I disagree that shorter barrels handle better in the bush. I crawl through some pretty thick stuff in the spring and fall and I've never felt handicapped by the extra 2 - 4 inches on my barrel.

I think you should handle some 22", 24", and 26" barreled rifles and see what you like. I'm a pretty large guy and the longer barrels seem to fit and point better for me - maybe for you it's a 23" or perhaps a 26". What I'm getting at is suss out the feel for yourself and don't worry about performance - I'm pretty sure the critters won't be able to tell.

Posted By: Odessa Re: 338 Win Mag Barrel Length - 02/06/10
My current .338 WM started out with a 24" barrel; when it was rebarreled it got a 26" barrel. The 26" is too long for my tastes (like a 30" barrel on a pump shotgun to me). The only reason I haven't had it cut back to 24" is that it is shooting so good like it is, but the trim job is coming.
Posted By: Brad Re: 338 Win Mag Barrel Length - 02/06/10
I've had four with 22" tubes and 23" is as long as I'd go.
I've got a 22 inch tube on mine. Loaded up some 210 TSX with IMR 4064. Kinda of just picked a max load and went for it as I needed a hunting load relatively quick. Shot about 10 and they grouped well so loaded the rest of the box. Chrongraphed them a year later and 4 shots averaged 3006 fps. I was surprised but there are no pressure signs. The point is you won't loose anything with a 22 inch tube in 338Win.
The only .338 I've had wore a 24-in. barrel, but it seems I recall all or some of the Atcheson guiding clan prefer to cut their .338s to 20-in. for the sake of handiness.

Didn't Sako chamber that caliber and .375 in 20- or 18-in. bbls?

Here's a wild thought, take two .338s with you: a 26-in. .340 Roy for shooting long ways, and a BAR .338WM cut back to 20-in. to take into the thick stuff at mid-day.
Posted By: Jeff_O Re: 338 Win Mag Barrel Length - 02/07/10
Mine is 26". I'm leaning towards a bob to 23"-24". Mine is such a shooter that I've been loathe to mess wit it. It'd be just my luck that all the mojo in my barrel lives in the last few inches.
Posted By: Brad Re: 338 Win Mag Barrel Length - 02/07/10
Jeff, I've cut a lot of barrels and never found it to reduce accuracy, and will sometimes improve accuracy.

I'd cut it to 23" and not look back...
Posted By: JRaw Re: 338 Win Mag Barrel Length - 02/07/10
Thanks for all the comments.
I had my SSM70 338 cut down from 26 in to 23 in for a muzzle brake. Twenty three inchesa may be the best compromise for handy without much blast, etc.

I don't use the brake, way too noisy.

I like the 23 in but would prefer a 22 in. May get that done yet.

The 3in appear to have cost me around 50 fps depending on the load.
Posted By: Brad Re: 338 Win Mag Barrel Length - 02/07/10
For me, the whole point of the 338 WM over the 300 WM is that the 338 runs so efficiently in a 22" bbl (or 23" if a guy is into odd numbers - grin).

Sure the 300 WM can run in a 22" tube, but it really needs 24" or more to be at its best IMO. Definitely not the case with the 338 WM and I'd no hesitate to go as short as 21".
Posted By: bglimpse Re: 338 Win Mag Barrel Length - 03/06/13
Old topic, sorry. How is the muzzle blast on the 22" and 23" barrels? Mine currently wears a 24" barrel with a brake. Looking to remove the brake and lose a little length..

............JRaw,,,,,,,,,,,,Depends on what your definition of "ideal" is pertaining to barrel length. If your only criteria is the best velocities then you go with the 24" or 26" barrel length.

On the other side of things, if you are going to be hunting in the thicker terrains where shorter killing shots mostly occur, then if it were me for easier carrying and manuvering, I`d be thinking along the lines of a 20"-21"er, which will give you about a 40"-41" rifle OAL. Any velocity losses vs the 24s or the 26 inch barrels won`t matter.

My 40.5" OAL 375 Ruger Alaskan (20" barrel) as an example, is a great handler and an ideal rifle OAL when in the thicker terrains.

Imo, the ideal barrel length should be more determined by your individual hunting situations.

Originally Posted by bglimpse
Old topic, sorry. How is the muzzle blast on the 22" and 23" barrels? Mine currently wears a 24" barrel with a brake. Looking to remove the brake and lose a little length..
...........No schit! Just looked at the damn date of the the original post. laugh laugh....3 years old!

bglimpse,,,,,,,I don`t get any muzzle blast from my 20" 375 Ruger Alaskan. In fact, when I`ve fired my friend`s 23" 375 Ruger African during the same range session and same ammo, there was (to my ears with muffs on) absolutely no difference.

So imo, there should be very little difference if any at all with noise and blast between a 22"-23" barreled 338 WM vs a 24" barreled one.
Posted By: Rman Re: 338 Win Mag Barrel Length - 03/06/13
Originally Posted by bglimpse

I run a 22" on mine, and didn't really any more significant blast that when it was 24". I would think that if you are trashing the brake, then felt blast may even be reduced.
A lot of the comments seem to be around velocity loss as well. If you roll your own, then you can step on the gas a bit to make up for any percieved loss.
I like the length, as the rilfe handles well in all types of situations. I have certainly never felt the need for a longer barrel on the hunting rifle.

R.
Posted By: Jeff_O Re: 338 Win Mag Barrel Length - 03/06/13
I did end up shortening mine, to 23". I like it! An injury has kept me from shooting that rifle much, but when I have, the muzzle blast hasn't seemed excessive.

Sure handles nicer now than it did at 26".
Mine's 24" and I have no problem with it. Just shot it sunday too and it's still doing great!!! 5 shot sub moa groups... wink
Posted By: Rman Re: 338 Win Mag Barrel Length - 03/06/13
Chicks dig a 22"

R.
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Mine's 24" and I have no problem with it. Just shot it sunday too and it's still doing great!!! 5 shot sub moa groups... wink

Can't wait to get mine rolling again. It was my main 600-yard steel whacker for a while there. I think I'll be able to shoot it this spring without it setting me back!

I did carry it for elk season and, of course, checked it out to 450 yards prior. I just love how those 225 Accubonds sound hitting steel.
Originally Posted by Rman
Chicks dig a 22"

R.

22" is the only way to fly on a 338 winny
Posted By: JMeier Re: 338 Win Mag Barrel Length - 03/06/13
After 3yrs later, I rebarreled mine the same, @24", but I could still do 23. I just like the balance as is.
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Can't wait to get mine rolling again. It was my main 600-yard steel whacker for a while there. I think I'll be able to shoot it this spring without it setting me back!

I did carry it for elk season and, of course, checked it out to 450 yards prior. I just love how those 225 Accubonds sound hitting steel.

Jeff, I hope you heal up good as new my friend!!! My 338 whacks the chit out of stuff too. Sure does put the elk down on the ground as well grin. Mine doesn't do to bad for a ruger m77 mkII:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Thanks! I'm getting there, just don't want to go backwards. I'll work up to it. It's funny, sorta, because being a recoil sponge was my thing, man! grin

I'm still vacillating on Whelen/.338-06/9.3x62 on that 30-06 action. Need to decide soon and get the barrel ordered!
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
Thanks! I'm getting there, just don't want to go backwards. I'll work up to it. It's funny, sorta, because being a recoil sponge was my thing, man! grin

I'm still vacillating on Whelen/.338-06/9.3x62 on that 30-06 action. Need to decide soon and get the barrel ordered!

Man, go with the 9.3x62mm!!! Mine is a shooter. One of my most consistent shooters in the stable...

I had a .338 built on a pre-64 M70 action and took it to Namibia last year as my primary rifle. The barrel measured 24" from the bolt face to muzzle, with a practical length of 23". With custom loads from Superior, 225 grain Partitions averaged just a tick under 2,900 fps. The leopard never knew what hit him. Boom-plop!

The rifle has a barrel band so it carries lower when slung than it would with a conventional sling swivel.

My Dakota African in .416 Rigby is also equipped with a 23" tube.

The bottom line is that for all practical purposes, no animal will be able to tell whether it was hit with a bullet from a 22", 23", 24" or 26" barrel. What matters is how the rifle carries and how it balances. In brushy country, shorter is better.

I'm happy with the 23" barrel on my .338. 22" would have been fine as well. I think 24" would have been a bit long and 26" would have been a mistake.
Posted By: JPro Re: 338 Win Mag Barrel Length - 03/06/13
I made the best of a bad situation when I picked up a used 700SS .338WM that had been in a used rack for quite a while due to the big honking brake someone had installed. Cutting and crowning just behind the threads gave me a 22" barrel, which is what I wanted anyway. I'd do it again. Blast is not too bad, as the case/bore ratio is fairly similar to the 30-06 and we have no problems with 22" 30-06's.
Posted By: mudhen Re: 338 Win Mag Barrel Length - 03/06/13
I have 23", 24" and 26" barrels on mine, and I much prefer to hunt with the 23" rifle. Each one shoots a different bullet and load best, so it's hard to compare velocities, but they will all kill elk as far away as I am willing to shoot at one.
I like the 26" barrel on my Kimber 8400 SA, just points better for me.

Gunner
© 24hourcampfire