Home
Looking for an accurate, no frills, reliable bolt gun in 30-06. I would like something with usable open sights or something I can put a peep on. So far all I'm finding in the bolt action with irons category is a Savage euro classic and a Rem 700 BDL. I like the savage and not so hot on the BDL stock. wish they still made a ADL. Leaning toward the Savage as they have a great rep. Opinions anyone.
Buy the Savage.....
buy the remmy....
get a vintage remington adl.
irons and if old enough, holes on the left side to mount a peep.
Get the Savage - it'll be accurate.
Get a Remmy.

Confused yet?
Get a Remmy

Older ADL
I wouldn't do either a Rem or a Savage. I'd get a Ruger Hawkeye.
I'd be looking at the used rack.
CZ or Ruger. Used rack wouldnt be a bad place to look. Still can find nice ADL's especially in the boring old 06 smile
I'd save money on an expensive variable scope, buy a Pre-Garcia L61R, and put a Solid fixed 4 or 6x on it, but that's just me.

CZ, Ruger, Howa are good alternatives.
I'd save money on an expensive variable scope, buy a Sako Pre-Garcia L61R, and put a Solid fixed 4 or 6x on it, but that's just me.

CZ, Ruger, Howa are good alternatives.
Fella over on www.floridaguntrader.com had a nice Winchester 70 Classic, with irons.
Originally Posted by Brad
I wouldn't do either a Rem or a Savage. I'd get a Ruger Hawkeye.
Don't buy the hawkeye, the matte finish is cheap and the LC6 trigger is overrated. If you suggest a ruger, I'd go with the M77 MKII with the excellent bluing ruger used to be known for. Since the MKII will more than likely be used, you could get into it for much less than a hawkeye too.
Originally Posted by cole_k
I'd be looking at the used rack.

yep.
Go to your local pawn shop and I bet you will find at least a dozen to fit your description. They really have some interesting rifles on the shelf just looking for a good home. Do your good deed.
Ive an old 70s Ruger 77 RS with irons that is dog gone near like new that I might be interested in selling........
Grab a Ruger Mark II or Hawkeye and get a NECG peep that mounts on the Ruger reciever;or if your taste is a bit more expensive,a pre 64 standard or FW with a Lyman 57 or 48 peep.
Go to Simpson's Limited and get a good used Husky model 640 in an 30/06 action.

Buy a Timney Mauser Trigger.
There you are done.

Sincerely,
Thomas
Try to find a used Remington 700 ADL Youth Model. Irons, 20-in. barrel, matte finish, shorter LOP stock. A kill everything solution that you could probably walk out of pawn shop with after handing over three crisp $100s.

Never mind, stay home, I'm gonna go look for one.
Look for either a JC Higgins Model 50 in a 30-06 or a Remington 721. Both are classics and are a ton of gun for the money. The JC Higgins has a true FN action.

Just my opinion,

ddj
To the pawn shop and used gun rack I go. I just hope I don't end up with one that's stolen.......:-) Maybe I should con my uncle out of his old Sears (made by Winchester) 270.
Buy what you want and have the irons installed. It is not as expensive as you think. About the same price as a decent budget scope. For a no BS working rifle I would buy a stainless Ruger Hawkeye or MK-II, whichever suits you.

Start looking in the classifieds for a Springfield 03-A3 30-06 that has been sporterized.
Marlin XL-7
Originally Posted by DMB
Start looking in the classifieds for a Springfield 03-A3 30-06 that has been sporterized.

+1 on the Springfield, 1903 or 03-A3. I have a couple (1903's) and I have been thinking about selling one. I just don't know which one.
It has been said, but my vote goes to a Remington ADL or Ruger Mark I.
Nahhhh, you've already dumped on Rems. Get a used Savage or a bubbaized milsup for around $100.00. If you buy it from a pawn shop, they've already run it thru the hot line so's it ought to be okay.
BTW, are you intending to use the rifle ONLY w/open sights? I have seen a 98 FN actioned sporter w/Sweden stamped on gun, it had irons. Looked like a good no frills rifle you could use anywhere w/confidence and no concern for any trouble.
Get a Marlin XL7. A good inexpensive rifle. Mount a Burris Fullfield scope. Fixed power or variable. Now with the money you saved get good binoculars. See Mule Deer (John Barsnes) in the optics forum for that advice.
Originally Posted by ColdCase1984
Try to find a used Remington 700 ADL Youth Model. Irons, 20-in. barrel, matte finish, shorter LOP stock. A kill everything solution that you could probably walk out of pawn shop with after handing over three crisp $100s.

Never mind, stay home, I'm gonna go look for one.

I did that, but the one I bought new had a 22" barrel. Stuck it in an ADL Ti takeoff and it handled well.
I vote for a clean old Remington 721 30-06! Usually see lots of these around in old pawn shops and gun shops. In my neck of the woods, you still see a few nice ones for $250-$275. Vintage open sights that can be upgraded if necessary. Accurate. Dependable. Good old rifles that are often ignored or looked down upon.
Good luck in you quest!
Originally Posted by brinky72
Looking for an accurate, no frills, reliable bolt gun in 30-06. I would like something with usable open sights or something I can put a peep on. So far all I'm finding in the bolt action with irons category is a Savage euro classic and a Rem 700 BDL. I like the savage and not so hot on the BDL stock. wish they still made a ADL. Leaning toward the Savage as they have a great rep. Opinions anyone.
Savage any day over the sucks.
Savages are SO freakin' accurate it is sick.

Of course if you get the Remington you can get the stock bedded, trigger tweaked, barrel fire lapped and muzzle recut... that is fun.

Savages are kinda boring when you think about it smile .
Marlin XL 7, 257bucks is what I paid for the one I bought.

and it is a tack driver!
Originally Posted by trouthunterdj
Look for either a JC Higgins Model 50 in a 30-06 or a Remington 721. Both are classics and are a ton of gun for the money. The JC Higgins has a true FN action.

Just my opinion,

ddj

Just picked up a 721 for $300
for my nephew.For the money you can't go wrong
My vote is for a Marlin XL-7 or a Weatherby Vanguard. Saw a Marlin in the Phoenix Cableas last week for $259. Bought a Weatherby Vanguard with the tan stock on clearance at Wal Mart a few years ago for $399. The Vanguard shoots great with 165 gr. Nosler solid bases ahead of 61 gr. of RL-22. I scoped it with a 3-9 Burris FFII.

Bob
This looks like a good deal. New England Custom Guns makes a peep sight that clamps onto the Ruger ring base.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=156200579
A post '72 M-70 pf and the better Williams sight.
If it has to be cheap, but you are willing to compromise on mounting a scope get the Marlin XL7. If it has to have irons get the savage or a used 700 from a pawnshop or dealer's used rack
As for the supposedly inaccurate Rem. 700. Mine puts three 180 gr. Nosler Partitions into 3/4" at 100yds all day long. It's straight factory and this is with the Federal Premium factory stuff. Oh yeah, I paid $250 for the used ADL and couldn't be happier. By the way, if you use irons you should really consider a peep sight. It makes a huge differance in shootability for most people.
Oh! Forgot to add that if you look on gunbroker and even still stocked in some walmarts, you can find a laminate stocked, iron sighted 700 ADL in 30-06. I see them every now and then on gunbroker and back in August I saw two in a walmart in WI one in '06 and one in 7mag I think.

© 24hourcampfire