Home
Posted By: jbuck How Many Virgin Guns Do You Own? - 02/24/10
Just cleaning the safe today and seen a few Rifles that I have yet to shoot. Wether I bought them cause I got a good deal, or they are projects on hold, or just "needed" it. Seems like everyone I talk to has at least one. Most have a few though.

Including the new ones from last week.
I am at over 10 probably closer to 15 that I have never pulled the trigger on. The majority of these are just passed down to me from grampa with in the last week.

Anyone else care to confess?
Virgin rifles??? Are you kidding? I always pop the cherry within an hour of bringing a virgin home (rifle that is).
Seen you had one more post then Me. So I had to reply to even things up. Pretty sure I just got 12 new to me firearms. Some need work to be safe. And some just need ammo that I don't have yet Hopefully this weekend that # will shrink.
I have a few barrels that haven't been screwed into things, but in general complete guns don't even make it to the house without becoming more worldly.
Marlin 336 .30-30, purchased used several years back. Have carried it while hunting but never pulled the trigger.

Custom Interarms Mark X/Krieger/Boyd JRS 6.5-06AI. Delivered to me just before elk hunting season last fall. Might take it antelope hunting this fall.
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
Marlin 336 .30-30, purchased used several years back. Have carried it while hunting but never pulled the trigger.

You hunt with a gun you haven't sighted in?

Oh boy.

[Linked Image]
WTF?

Seriously, WTF?
I never did have the ability to buy a rifle and let it just sit in the safe...or the money to do that for that matter.

If I buy them they get shot.. smile

CLB
I have one commemorative one bought for an investment that hasn't gone anywhere worthwhile in value, it will be used to shoot a deer this coming fall...
I know I really need to get out and get a few shot, purchased these in the last year

Got way to busy last summer and this past fall I spent about every extra minute on an archery stand.

Just running through my mind I can think of the following I've never done anything with and now I guess I know why I'm broke.

.22 lr x3 (CZ, Reminton, & custom 10/22)
.17 hmr x1 (Savage)
22-250 x1 (Rem XP-100r)
.221FB x1 (Rem XP-100)
.257 x1 (Rem SPS)
.22 Hornet x2 (CZ & Ruger)
.38 x1 (1911)
Only 10-15? I prolly got 40... laugh
0 - I've got no use for safe queens.
1 cooper that i got just a few weeks ago have not had a chance to do anything lately with a broken leg so there she sits.

Normally they don't last a day
Originally Posted by heavywalker
1 cooper that i got just a few weeks ago have not had a chance to do anything lately with a broken leg so there she sits.

fine, send it to me and I'll break it in for you....

no charge.
you keep to yourself bones heal soon enough and I will treat her right....

Besides I don't want her sitting in a safe next to a bunch of lever guns sick laugh
Originally Posted by heavywalker
Besides I don't want her sitting in a safe next to a bunch of lever guns sick laugh

She should be so lucky....
its a righty anyways you wouldn't like it.....
I have no virgin rifles, but I have a used replica Remington Model 1858 cap and ball revolver which I have never fired - so she's a virgin to me
As bad as I hate to admit it I have a couple. I am sure I needed them at the time I bought them but can't remember now why I needed them. I do plan on shooting a couple of them though as soon as the weather warms up.

Dink
None. They all get shot or they get sold.
Originally Posted by RWE

Oh boy.

[Linked Image]

That was my thought also... wow.... talk about giving the sport a bad name....
Originally Posted by hikerbum
Originally Posted by RWE

Oh boy.

[Linked Image]

That was my thought also... wow.... talk about giving the sport a bad name....

Yep. Thus my "WTF?".
Well some of you make me feel better. 10years ago I would have considered it blasphemy. But Now I am busier and cannot always get out as much as I want to. Either that our its just too wet to take out a beautiful rifle. Have just picked up a Cooper Jackson Squirrel Rifle yesterday and today its raining cats and dogs. So That one I will be taking out as soon as the weather permits.

So the count stands:
22lr X3 (Cooper, CZ, and marlin 39a)
243 X1 (Rem700)
223 X6 (ARx5, Kimber Montana)Found a really good deal on the AR's
12ga X4 (BenelliM4, Win1897, a savage pump and SXS)
7RM x1 (Win70)
SKS
35rem (Marlin 336)
45acpX2 (Colt New Service? and USS 1911)
45LC (Verginia Dragoon)
Could probably dig out another one or two if I dug hard enough.
Thats Kinda depressing.
He has to mean he has not killed anything with it yet or shot at an animal.......I hope.
Only 2 ...one is a 22 lr Marlin Model 70 that I tricked out for a friend then he needed to sell it for money probs. The other is a 25 auto Beretta that was passed down to me from my wifes grandpa.
So is Virgin gun never shot or is it a gun which has never killed anything?
I guess it means something different to everyone. In the context I was asking I ment one that was not shot by you yet.
i hunt every firearm i own, every year. if a rifle/shotgun doesn't get hunted in a year (or at max 2), i give it to one of my kids/inlaws/grandkids. as i age i want less. i'd rather see guns go to younger folks who can grow old with them.
Rifles...just one as I rarely buy new guns but last summer bought a Winchester 1885 Sporter in .405 Winchester...still has the tag on it.

Bob
I just picked up a 1990 model 700 mountain rifle in 243 at a swap meet on Sunday. I have not shot it yet. that will change as soon as the snow is gone or at least melts a little more.
Rick
Originally Posted by BobinNH
None. They all get shot or they get sold.

+1..They get shot or off they go.

As for coyote Hunter, I'm sure he meant that he never killed anything with it.
Once I went almost a month, but only because it was a new centerfire that showed up a couple days before muzzleloader season and I didn't want to take time off hunting to go to the rifle range.

Usually a new gun comes home, gets optics, gets a trigger job, and goes to the range that same day ... unless it got dark too early, then it's a first thing next morning deal.

Well ... ok, I guess I do have one "virgin" gun. It doesn't have a stock though, just a barreled action. I could shoot it but it might get sorta exciting in a sorta bad way.

Tom
I have a few that I need to shoot.

Underwood M1 carbine (keeps hiding behind the doorframe of the safe) bought last yr from CMP

Marlin 39A Golden Mountie (needed scope rail holes redrilled)

Winchester 1897 Trench gun (wifes grandad's) MIL just gave it to me)

Colt Police Positive, NIB from 1919 (with original box of ammo) Wife's Grandad's again, MIL gave it to me last yr. It's unfired, so I'll never fire it either)

Beretta .25, buddy gave it to me couple of yrs ago... never felt like shooting it

Braverman Pen Gun, 22LR... buddy gave me that one too, I keep forgetting that I have it, someday I'll have to try it.

I think that's it. Spring's comin'. Time to get them ready.
None now. Have sold four that I can remember without ever firing them. Two were bought in stores but two were purchased from private individuals who had never fired them either.

All four were bought 'cause being LH bolt rifles I figured the particular models were scarce and could be discontinued - which they were.
I guess there are two in the house that haven't been shot yet, Ruger LCR .38 Special that I got for my birthday a couple weeks ago, it'll get shot some this weekend. Wife was given her grandpa's old JC Higgins 12 guage pump for our wedding, I cleaned it up of the rust, snake oiled the stock, and stuck it in the safe a couple months ago. She'll probably dove hunt with it this coming fall.
UnFIRED?! Seriously? I thought this thread would be about unblooded rifles.

Uh... none. Can't even imagine owning a gun and not shooting the snot out of it.

I do have one very egregious unblooded rifle- my wonderful .338 WM. And my BLR in .325 also. Those are the only two that have been hunted significantly but never drawn blood.
Originally Posted by T_O_M
Well ... ok, I guess I do have one "virgin" gun. It doesn't have a stock though, just a barreled action. I could shoot it but it might get sorta exciting in a sorta bad way.

Tom

So its a naked vergin?:)
Originally Posted by hotsoup
i hunt every firearm i own, every year. if a rifle/shotgun doesn't get hunted in a year (or at max 2), i give it to one of my kids/inlaws/grandkids. as i age i want less. i'd rather see guns go to younger folks who can grow old with them.

I wish more grandparents, etc. would do this. I was the only grandchild on both sides of my family that was really interested in firearms and several were promised to me when they passed. Not wanting to sound selfish I would have liked to enjoyed them some when my grandparents were still around.

Out of probably a dozen that were supposed to be mine I received one and that was only after a fight. The others most likely ended up in a pawn shop, as most of my relatives were/are worse than a pack of wolves.
Sounds like some my family. When my grandpa passed away last August he told my dad and my uncle that they could have his guns. They are the only 2 that hunted out of the 6 kids. well the 3 low life individuals were at the house the day before he passed away and got everything worth while including the guns. Now my dad and uncle have nothing from him in the way of guns and they are all probably down the road like you said. My dad and uncle never pushed the issue cause they did not want to fight.

How low do you have to be to start taking chit before a guy is even dead.
I shoot them all.
Lately I have one or two never fired (was two until this AM). Right now it's a Marlin 336 XLR in 30-30 I've had for 6+ mos. I had a Ruger 270 for about 1.5 yrs before firing it. I don't plan it that way. Only recall selling one that was never fired, a Browning BPS.
3 right now. One is a Winchester commerative that my dad gave me. A CZ452 LH that wife gave me for Xmas. (Will make time for it real soon). The last is a Win 70 300WSM LH, just found out I drew a WY elk tag so will be working up a load soon..
John
Just two, but I'm lookin to correct that in the next few weeks.
Off the top of my head 5. 1866/1966 winchester carbine 30-30, 1995/6 limited edition ruger in 220 swift, 1971 winchester 100 in 284 cal and 2 savage 99 CE's in 300 Savage.
Right now a total of 6. Four rifles and 2 handguns. Planning on adding another handgun in a couple of months.
Lots and lots...

Some rifles are art, and others are tools,....and others are both.

Don't have the time at this point in my career and family life to do everything I want to do with my firearms. Still shoot more than the average dude, I think. Most will get sold when my boys are old enough and I buy my 21ft fishing boat, gear ect...

Then it will be time to travel the country and declare war on bass, pike, walleye, muskie, trout, ect, ect....

RAS
two for me...sako 75 ss 300 rum and a new haven fwt 30-06
None that are new and unshot. I just inherited a carbine that I have never shot, but bought a box of ammo for it yesterday - hope to fire it next week. Oh yea, got a 9mm pistol my cousin gave me last Fall, that one hasn't been fired (by me) either.
Funny you should bring this topic up. My new years resolution to myself was to shoot every gun I own with a few exceptions.

I've got lots of guns that I have never shot, but bought because they were there and I could and I figured they were as good as money in a bank. Just like mutaul funds and stocks, some I was right on, some I wasn't.
More than I care to count, but fewer than in the past.
I have a couple but the most impressive IMO is a 1950 Supergrade new in box with all the hang tags and paperwork. It's like a time capsule. I've owned it for 5 years now and I'm still wowed when I open up the box. It's as perfect as they get.

No. 1 243
2 Model 70's
custom barreled 700
model seven
#3 22H

I gotta get out more.
Only one-a .223 Bushmaster AR, a gift from my father in-law. I've never gotten around to shooting it, had it for 10 months, keep meaning to take it to the range but other projects keep coming along. I'd rather turn it into a bolt gun (trade it) but it would hurt his feelings. And I keep thinking it will be worth more unfired. I guess it's a good problem to have....
2 a pair of ruger mk11 lh 1 30/06 the other a 7mm rem mag both donors soon to be a 270win and a 458ar. never ever shoot a donor the thing will shoot too good to tear apart and you have to find an other one to build with! (that why i have a mod 70 lh 300win mag and not a 458ar know) have fun Clint
None unfired, none unblooded.
Originally Posted by RWE

Oh boy.

[Linked Image]

No, I meant I've never pulled the trigger while hunting.

I shoot handloads and have shot the rifle hundreds of times. Guess that wasn't very clear.

From the top down:

Marlin 1895, .45-70
Marlin 375, .375 Win
Marlin 336, .30-30
Browning B92, .44 Mag

All the scopes are in Warne Quick Detach rings and I shoot both iron and glass with the Marlins.

[Linked Image]
I'll confess I do have one. The fact that I just bought it yesterday may possibly have something to do with that though! laugh
I have to many irons in the fire. If we are counting actions, I have a bakers dozen.

ddj
At the moment I have three, 2 rifles and 1 shotgun..but as soon as this damn weather breaks so will their cherry's smile....................547.
I buy the slutty ones smile

(used) smile
Just one, a very nice Winchester 12ga. O/U that I've had for a couple of years and have never powdered. I think it's an unfired gun. I'm putting it up for sale. If I don't use it there's no point in keeping it.
NIB Model 12 in 16 gauge.
NIB Model 70 Supergrade in 7STW
NIB Model 9422 25th Anniversery
NIB Super X1
NIB Ruger Model 77 Magnum in 458 Lott
NIB Ruger Mark II 50th Anniversery
NIB Model 70 Classic Stainless in 270 WSM
NIB Model 70 Featherweight in 223 WSM
All my firearms are quite promiscuous.
Only one, a pre 64 Model 94 Winchester in a 30-30 caliber. Still in the box with the pink warranty card.
I have two:

Rem 799
Sears M200 (a.k.a. Win 94)

I got a good deal on the 799 and intended to re-chamber it for a 260Rem until I got it home and saw the action is not based on a 308 length action. The magazine is just barely large enough to hold the 22-250 it was chambered for from the factory. So its for sale because I don't need another 22-250.

The 94 I got from a shop for $200 bucks. There was some wear on the receiver/frame down to the bear metal, so I sent it to Fords for a refinish. I also had a local smith smooth out the action and replace the loop with a larger one. When I got it back, it was so nice, I just couldn't bring myself to shoot it ... yet.
Ahhh none.
I have two, both Japs, a type 38 and a type 99...

Both are original and unaltered, and both are hanging in the museum in my local American Legion post...

I suspect that they will both still be hanging there when I kick the bucket, so as far as I am concerned, thier maidenheads will remain intact...
none, well one unfired by me but friend I traded it from used it quite a bit!!
I shoot everything in my safe except a half dozen or so old Colts and Winchesters that various relatives carried in the late 1800's and early 1900's.
I've got an 870 new from a year and a half ago. Just haven't gotten round to shooting it yet. No matter, an 870 is an 870, this is probably the 5th or 6th one for me.

Picked up a new-to-me CZ Hornet last month, but the weather's been too crappy to get to the range with it, I hope to change that soon, maybe in a couple of days.
It is a very rare case in which I buy a "virgin" gun and even more rare that it would get home before being de-flowered.
The very first thing I do with a new gun is clean and then shoot it.No virgins in my safe.

Neil
Refering to a couple previous posts, yes I have gone hunting with at least two guys who were under the impression that when the gunsmith installed the scope the rifle was ready to go. Once we were on the side of a mountain in knee deep snow approaching a small herd of bulls when the guy mentioned this to me. I got my elk, he did not. Never confuse being financially well off and educated with being all knowledgeable as you would have though both of these doctors would have known better.
I got sidetracked in my previous, for that I apologize. All of my guns are more like Kansas City hookers than virgins and I like them that way. Don't buy a used gun from me unless it is priced cheap because it will look great but be well used.
Popped every one I've owned.
It's nearly as good as. The first sniff of a unopened box, mounting, scoping & bore-sighting her. All whilst slowly sipping Austin Nichols wink
Originally Posted by orion03
NIB Model 12 in 16 gauge.
NIB Model 70 Supergrade in 7STW
NIB Model 9422 25th Anniversery
NIB Super X1
NIB Ruger Model 77 Magnum in 458 Lott
NIB Ruger Mark II 50th Anniversery
NIB Model 70 Classic Stainless in 270 WSM
NIB Model 70 Featherweight in 223 WSM

Dood, you had me at NIB model 12!! nice.

All I have is a lousy SC 375 M70, aint shootin it..and no you cant see a picture of it grin
© 24hourcampfire