Home
Do tang safety 77's hold any value...........if the condition is good of course!!!
They seem to run around 400-475 around here.
how bout a pretty nice 7x57 ?
there's one local on consignment a guy wants 695 for !
The value depends on its rarity, function and condition. If you buy a 1968 .308 that has never been fired it will be worth quite a lot more than a last-year .270 that's ridden behind the seat of a '93 Ford 4x4 since 1987.

Base cost for an excellent tang-safety that is a post-flatbolt model should be in the $400-450 range. But there is a lot that makes it vary, including condition, location and local interest. For example, a .280 will sell for more in Wyoming than it does in Pennsylvania, generally speaking.

I have a .280, for example, that I've had since 1986. It shoots OK but not great; the stock has been refinished at least three times; and the metal could use some refinishing. Were I to sell it, getting $350 would be probably maximum. On the other hand, I have a .308 RSI that is in very good condition and shoots well -- that one would be in the $500-600 range. And my Dad's flat-bolt .250-3000, were I to have to sell it, would run nearer $1000 or so.

As I said -- it depends... grin.

Dennis
The last dozen or so I've seen in stores were mostly $399 bare or a bit more with a scope, depending. One or two were $499 bare.

Bruce
A friend and I have been cruising the local gun shops lately. I came across a tang safety 77 the other day. The bluing was great but the stock was rough. I believe it could be refinished to damn near 85% or so. IIRC they were asking $389. It was scoped and was a 30-06.
I wonder if some folks just like the tang safety due to its location and just want the action to rebarrel it. I saw one the other day that got me to thinking that's a good location for a safety.

Originally Posted by jimmyp
I wonder if some folks just like the tang safety due to its location and just want the action to rebarrel it. I saw one the other day that got me to thinking that's a good location for a safety.

That's why I personally like them.

I much prefer the tang safety versus the side swing safety.
Sorry to hijack the thread but I met a guy with a guy who had a 77 with gold lettering in 25-06.I thought it might be a "76" commemerative rifle.

Any thoughts?

Hmmmm..I had a VERY nice 7x57 that I put on consignment here in Ct. for $375. After about a month, I sold it for $350. I also have a 358, and I just saw one of those in the gun room at Cabela's in East Hartford for $1500.!!
I bought a tang safety 7mm Rem Mag as my first rifle out of college. Shot some whitetails, my first ever cariboux2 and my first ever antelope. Sold it to a buddy about 14 years ago who never shot it. Thinking I need to talk to him about that rig.
I think that $389 sounds like a fair price for that rifle. I just bought one last year in 30-06 that was in excellent condition for $500 with no scope. It is a beautiful gun and a great shooter and a friend saw something else he just had to have so there we go.
Originally Posted by jeff270
Sorry to hijack the thread but I met a guy with a guy who had a 77 with gold lettering in 25-06.I thought it might be a "76" commemerative rifle.

Any thoughts?

The gold lettering was probably just an after-the-fact kit that somebody "painted" in.

I have a Liberty model #1. The barrel is stamped "Made in the 200th Year of American Liberty".
Originally Posted by Thumper358

Hmmmm..I had a VERY nice 7x57 that I put on consignment here in Ct. for $375. After about a month, I sold it for $350. I also have a 358, and I just saw one of those in the gun room at Cabela's in East Hartford for $1500.!!

Got any more Rugers you wanna sell? Got any more 7x57s?
From what I have seen, 77s in the common calibers average $350 to $400 in the Midwest. Elsewhere I have no experience.

The International's are a different story and demand higher prices.

Early on after the introduction of the M77, I realized Mr. Ruger was on to something and began to collect what I would call un-common calibers NIB.

The calibers in the flat, dog-leg bolt rifles have some pretty decent value. 6mm Remington, 6.5mm Rem Magnum, 284 Win, and 350 Rem Magnum. Later Ruger discontinued the flat bolt and came out with the 250-3000 (most valuable especially in the International style)Some other calibers that have more value are the 280 Rem, 300 Win Mag, 338 Win Mag, 358 Win, 35 Whelen and 220 Swift. 257 Roberts belongs in the group too and there maybe some others, but just can't think of them off-hand...out of town so don't have my safe inventory list available.
I would say that's an ok price. Been a really clean 7x57 in the local shop for $499 for about a year...
Originally Posted by splattermatic
how bout a pretty nice 7x57 ?
there's one local on consignment a guy wants 695 for !

I bought one this winter at Cabelas. If it was shot, it wasn't much. It has had a trigger job as well. In 7x57

Got it for $475. That guy is grasping at straws IMO.
Originally Posted by muledeer
If you buy a 1968 .308 that has never been fired it will be worth quite a lot more than a last-year .270 that's ridden behind the seat of a '93 Ford 4x4 since 1987.

How do you do that? grin
Originally Posted by tzone
If you buy a 1968 .308 that has never been fired it will be worth quite a lot more than a last-year .270 that's ridden behind the seat of a '93 Ford 4x4 since 1987.

How do you do that? grin

Last year of the tang safety...and I might have that slightly wrong... smile. Just mean that the tang safety 77's just before the Mark II's that have been hunted hard and worked outdoors won't sell as much as an unused early production model.

Incidently, I have a flat-bolt .250-3000...and no, it is not for sale... grin

Dennis
Originally Posted by roundoak
The calibers in the flat, dog-leg bolt rifles have some pretty decent value. 6mm Remington, 6.5mm Rem Magnum, 284 Win, and 350 Rem Magnum. Later Ruger discontinued the flat bolt and came out with the 250-3000 (most valuable especially in the International style)...

They came out with the .250-3000 in the flat bolt -- I have one that I bought at an auction in about 1983 for my Dad. He never killed anything with it, but I will one day...

Dennis
Originally Posted by roundoak
From what I have seen, 77s in the common calibers average $350 to $400 in the Midwest. Elsewhere I have no experience.

The International's are a different story and demand higher prices.

Early on after the introduction of the M77, I realized Mr. Ruger was on to something and began to collect what I would call un-common calibers NIB.

The calibers in the flat, dog-leg bolt rifles have some pretty decent value. 6mm Remington, 6.5mm Rem Magnum, 284 Win, and 350 Rem Magnum. Later Ruger discontinued the flat bolt and came out with the 250-3000 (most valuable especially in the International style)Some other calibers that have more value are the 280 Rem, 300 Win Mag, 338 Win Mag, 358 Win, 35 Whelen and 220 Swift. 257 Roberts belongs in the group too and there maybe some others, but just can't think of them off-hand...out of town so don't have my safe inventory list available.

After looking for years I was able to purchase a NIB 77RSI in 250-3000 last year. I also have a RS carbine in .358 and a round top in .270.
I like em'.

Dave

How do you do that? grin

Last year of the tang safety...and I might have that slightly wrong... smile. Just mean that the tang safety 77's just before the Mark II's that have been hunted hard and worked outdoors won't sell as much as an unused early production model.

Dennis

I meant how do you drive around with it in the back of a 1993 ford since 1987?
tang rugers in my area bring 350.00 on average if in "good" condition (some even less). i saw one a couple weeks ago in 270 win with a 4x leupy. i believe the guy wanted 500.00. excellent condition might get you 400.00 for just the rifle. maybe a geographic or economic influence.

How do you do that? grin

Dennis

I meant how do you drive around with it in the back of a 1993 ford since 1987?

You have to be very very good in futurism...or pay attention to what the hell you're writing... blush. Shoulda been a '73 Ford...I had one, doncha know... whistle.

Sorry about that...thought I knew what I wrote...

Dennis
Dennis,

I just had a guy trade me a M-77 tang-safety flat-bolt in .308 this last week-end. I wasn't aware they are particularly valuable... My plan is to rebarrel it to .358 Win or .250/3000 Ackley Imp. (I already have a bbl...)

Is it too valuable to modify?

Edw

Sorry about that...thought I knew what I wrote...

Dennis

I do it all the time. Mouth and fingers are faster than my brain. grin

I was just funnin' ya.
I picked up an M77ST in 7x57 last year, but I gave a bit more than $350 for it. It's in real nice shape. Kills bambi handily too. Also have an M77R MkII in 7x57. You don't see many MkIIs in 7x57. It shoots and CRFs like a dream. My MkII 280 also CRFs like a dream. I think the CRF MkIIs are my favorites of the M77s. Now if I could just find an M77RS MkII in 7x57, I could die happy.
Originally Posted by Grasshopper
Dennis,

I just had a guy trade me a M-77 tang-safety flat-bolt in .308 this last week-end. I wasn't aware they are particularly valuable... My plan is to rebarrel it to .358 Win or .250/3000 Ackley Imp. (I already have a bbl...)

Is it too valuable to modify?

Edw

Depends on what you want...but probably. Were it me, I would go to Ruger's website and get the date for manufacturer. Earlier the better, more or less, depending on conditions. Dunno what you gave for it, but selling it and buying a newer one might help pay for some of the parts... smile. Takes some effort to figure it all out, then of course it only matters if you get to sell it for the higher price... grin.

Dennis
Speaking of MK II 7x57's.........

MK II 7x57 fer sell
If it's a pre-1973 serial number flatbolt, it'll have a Douglas barrel. If thats the case, it's more valuable & I'd leave it be as is.
Originally Posted by jimmyp

It's a great location for a safety........I don't with M77's because they be too dang heavy, but I own a couple tang safety M77's.......

Casey
I have a pair of them. Both are beat to hell wood stock/blue models. One is either a late year first year or second year according to Ruger .25-06 and the other is a last year .30-06.

I love the location of the safety. It's just like O/U shotgun and other guns I have.

Apparently it was a safety issue and the lawyers got invovled but the #1 still manages to have one located there.
The flatbolts bring a bit more; in great shape, the odd calibers a bit more yet.

That said, the MkII is a better action - CRF, non-plunger ejector, safety that physically holds back the striker. True, the tang safety is more natural and convenient, just not as safe. Trigger is easier to work on, a real good one. On top of that, the barrels made in the past few years have a repuration for better accuracy. I've had several of the older ones (in the day when they were the newer ones), sporters in .220 Swift, .257 Roberts, .270, 7mm RM. None shot less than 1.5 MOA, most closer to 2"+. The only exception is one of the old flatbolt heavy barrel .220 Swifts, the only one that stayed around. I've seen reports that these had better barrels, but can't confirm.

Just my thoughts...
I would say that the .284 Win caliber is highest price
for a tang safety. I see 250 Sav every now and then,
and 358s rarely.
Originally Posted by GF1
...the MkII is a better action - CRF, non-plunger ejector, safety that physically holds back the striker.

Sorry to rain on your parade, GF1, but the MkII safety does not physically hold back the striker. The only thing it holds back is the trigger.
Better have another look, you can see it from the outside - safety lever physically blocks the striker assembly.
© 24hourcampfire