Home
My brother has been running a pretty beat up Rem 243 and I'd really like to get him something a bit nicer.

Would like opinions on this Weatherby. Would also like opinions on a good matching scope. Leupy Vari III 3x9x42 matte??

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=160864883
I think the stock has character. The scope you mentioned would be perfect as well.

I like it.

If he doesn't like it, I have beat up rifles too, ya' know. wink

JM
Thanks John.

I'm not the best judge when it comes to rifles, so the advice is appreciated.

....and after seeing pictures of that stunning wife you've got, I'm thinking I don't feel too bad about your gun situation.lol
Vari-II you mean? Unless they've snuck one by me there's not a Vari or VX-III 3x9...

Bang for buck, Rex, I have to keep pimping the $369 demo's of the 3-9 Conquest. Killer scope for that kind of money.

The question is doyou think he will like the stock? and also if you like buying rifles for your brothers will you parents adopt me?
Nice stock. Nice rifle. Any good 3-9 should work fine. I can't see someone not liking that as a gift, I know I would.

Ernie
I agree that it has character, but I simply have no love for the Monte Carlo stocks!
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
Vari-II you mean? Unless they've snuck one by me there's not a Vari or VX-III 3x9...

Bang for buck, Rex, I have to keep pimping the $369 demo's of the 3-9 Conquest. Killer scope for that kind of money.

For the life of me, I can't keep those Leupolds apart in my head.

I like the Zeiss but gonna stick to Leupolds on this one.
Originally Posted by RugerM77270
The question is doyou think he will like the stock? and also if you like buying rifles for your brothers will you parents adopt me?

Like I said, I'm not the best judge of how good a gun looks so wanted opinions from you fellas.

As for buying a gun for my brother, he is my blood and he means the world to mean. I never forget the people I know will be there for me no matter what the situation. I just wish the little pecker didn't grow to 6'3" 280. It's downright embarrassing when your little brother can kick your azz.
Like I said, I'm not the best judge of how good a gun looks so wanted opinions from you fellas.

I'll just say its looks do not leave a positive impression on me. It isn't the Weatherby styling that bothers me either.
I want impressions, good or bad.

Also would like alternatives if anyone can think of something.

I want this to be a special gun.
I think it could be a really nice 243, I just can't get past the grain in the stock.
I like it. It's not likely to ever run into to one just like it.
I think it looks good as well, not real fond of the 1" recoil pad but it's a minor factor.

Good for your doing something nice for your brother
I have one vanguard and do not like the high cheek piece. Thought I could get used to it, but it's not happening.

That said, the rest of the rifle is fine and your brother is much taller and 100 lbs more man than I, so perhaps the cheek piece wont bother him.

In any event, your brother is blessed to have such a great "big" brother.
I am also not too wild about the grain and not a big fan of light finishes. But, if I was your brother and you were buying it for me..... Different story.
I think it is a great looking rifle, and love the stock. I've had 2 Weatherby's in 30-06 and both were good shooters. I would be thrilled to receive it as a gift.

Long
I will bet that the grain on that stock has been enhanced with a dark dye to bring out the differences. That said it would be a very nice gun to own for that price.
Still leaning towards this gun but not quite sure yet.

Here's a bit more detail.

Budget is up to $1,000 for both rifle and scope or just a kickazz rifle without scope. 1st preference is a 243 but I know he'd also be happy with a 308 or 270.

Really would like some nice wood but a good shooting scope/gun package would probably be a better idea(??).

Just a little insight on my brother. A little over a year ago, he got me a 572 Rem pump .22 that he knew I had always wanted but was too cheap to buy for myself. He's a carpenter and he's been struggling the past couple years finding work in our area but he still wanted to get me the gun so he sold some of his tools. It needed a little work so he raised a bit more. He even found a nice little scope he put on it and then cleaned up the gun the best he could. It's a decent gun, maybe 70%. But what makes it worth more to me than anything I have is knowing what my little brother did, even though he was struggling, to try and make me his big brother happy.

I'd just really like to get him something special to show him what he means to me.

i noticed the lop on the weatherby was 13". perhaps is was cut down a bit by the previous owner. this may be an issue for your brother if he is a "big" man.
Brother, with that budget you need to buy bubba a .308 Kimber Montana!! He will fall in love with it!!!

Better hurry!!

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=160720416

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=160702641
+1 on the Montana, but that stock, as John Lennon said, is "most peculiar momma!" Those dark striations look like spalting to me. That's a fungal infection most common in maple. Very strange piece of walnut, if it is walnut. Certainly distinctive though!
I like vanguards, but that stock is ass ugly IMHO. Mine wears plastic.
I might be in the minority but I don't like the color of that stock. But beauty is such a subjective thing, if you like it go for it!
I'd buy it

If I had a fireplace.
I don't usually go in for the Weatherby look, but that is definitely "Eye Candy". If I was your brother I would be speechless to recieve a gift/rifle like that from you. RustyL
I like the "Weatherby look", at least as far as the shape of the stock, but my preferances would lean towards a darker-colored walnut. That being said... it could grow on me and you don't see too many really light colored wood stocks.

Well, for me, I really don't like the "Weatherby look"..But, more than that, if he's a big guy with long arms and square shoulders, I think he would have a better fit with a classic design stock. Having said that, I think he will still be pleased with your gift.
Like Weatherby stocks just fine, but don't care for that grain pattern.
I really like the way the stock looks. Very unique! Love the blonde wood which contrasts well with the blued barrel/action. Make a hell of a gift!
Originally Posted by hotsoup
i noticed the lop on the weatherby was 13". perhaps is was cut down a bit by the previous owner. this may be an issue for your brother if he is a "big" man.

Yeah it may be a bit small for your brother. I am 6' and #260 and 13" would be a bit small for me so I guess it would be for your bro too.
HELL NO! - That is F#%$)!G UGLY! You can do much better than that!
O.k. You guys have sparked my curiousity but I can't access the link at my PC at work...er,...I mean at the library! Can some cut and paste a pic of this mystery stock? It must be a love-it or hate-it piece.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Never thought about it since I'm shorter but now it's really concerning me. Might have to pass.

Originally Posted by RugerM77270

Yeah it may be a bit small for your brother. I am 6' and #260 and 13" would be a bit small for me so I guess it would be for your bro too.
Originally Posted by rrroae
My brother has been running a pretty beat up Rem 243 and I'd really like to get him something a bit nicer.

Would like opinions on this Weatherby. Would also like opinions on a good matching scope. Leupy Vari III 3x9x42 matte??

Do you need a extra brother?
lol

Trust me, I'm no picnic. I'm pretty demanding of my family but in return they've got someone who will do anything in the world for them.
lol

Trust me, I'm no picnic. I'm pretty demanding of my family but in return they've got someone who will do anything in the world for them.

Then I'd take off after you gave me the rifle. smile
I like it! I think he would be very happy with it and the character in the stock will always create conversations and he will always say "my brother picked out this rifle for me."

I bought my dad a Weatherby 30-06 about 25 years ago and it is much like the one you have picked out. The entire back half of the stock is a deep chocolate brown but the rest of the stock is very blond; it's truly unique and has been an awesome weapon.

Now, being a big brother I think it is your duty to have him man up a little bit to a bigger, better caliber. A man that weighs 280 just shouldn't be shootin a .243!! Get him a 340 Weatherby and call it tough love!
Another vote for a Montana in 308 if you can swing it. I'm not as heavy as your brother, but around his height, and I think the 13" LOP might be short unless he's running it only when wearing lots of layers.

A Kimber Montana is about as good as it gets for any price, IMHO, and I hear lots of good things about the 308's. Be a nice complement to his 243, too.

DJ
I think 13 inches will be too short for him. I would find another rifle with a lot of character in the wood though, especially if it's a gift.
Yes I do like that Weatherby stock and rifle.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Hey, thanks for linking the pics!

First pic looks decent, almost like a piece of some imported exotic hardwood.

Second pic looks like my deck after I make a half-azzed attempt to bleach the mildew off it and respray it.

In other words, if those streaks are dark brown then I'm in as a new member of the family!
If they are dingy gray/black, then I'd take it from 'ya and smile, but likely wrap it in camo tape before I showed up at deer camp.
I think it is interesting and unique, it almost looks like a graft line but isn't. I don't think it has been stained.

If it didn't fit I would shave down the Monte Carlo slightly and refinish the entire stock possibly staining the one bland portion at the butt. This would be at the risk of loosing character on the stock though.

And if it was a 240 WB it would really blow up my bloomers. I'd probably even look for an old Weatherby 2-7x scope with inline turrets for it.
It's very nice IMO and worthy of a good bid....
Is this gun part of a fire sale? That stock looks scorched!

Would like opinions on this Weatherby. Would also like opinions on a good matching scope. Leupy Vari III 3x9x42 matte?? Would you please adopt me as your brother?If I had a brother that was concerned about me even owning a gun ,I'd be ecstatic.That's a very nice rifle and I think your brother would be very pleased to have it,to say the least.You are a very nice fellow.BTW,the Leupold scope you mentioned would be just wonderful for that rifle.

Looks dirty, or maybe somebody did a burnout on it during Bike Week in Daytona.
Beautiful rifle
Terrific looking rifle, one I would love to own.
I can't see the link here at work ... what's the price??
Too fancy dancy for my tastes...
Originally Posted by avagadro
I can't see the link here at work ... what's the price??

Current price is $464 with 5 days and 5 hours left. Probably hit between $6 - 700 by the time it's all said and done.
Originally Posted by Seafire
Too fancy dancy for my tastes...

I want to get him something memorable but not outlandish. Been eyeing up some Kimber 84M classics but haven't seen any really nice wood yet. Not familiar enough with higher end guns to really know what to look for.

Just want something that stands out a bit(not too much) either with nice wood or nice gun/scope package or just a really nice higher end gun.

Budget is $1,000 if anyone happens to see something.
© 24hourcampfire