Home
Say you want a coyote gun for tagging yote #2 (you drop the lead yote and would like to pickup the second one who's obviously hauling butt and headed out of the county).

Bolt or Semi-auto?

I'm finding I take more time with the bolt than I do the semi, so I'm now leaning to the bolt. Shooting fast is just way too much fun.

Spot
I am sure a semi auto rifle can be shot well. As for me I hunt with the type of rifle that I admire. However it seems that for many my 'type of rifle' is in the past.

When I shot competitive the match rifle was a bolt from four positions. Later Garands were seen but the primary course was slow fire, one minute allowed for a shot.

Now 'my' match is gone and they shoot auto rifles with a rapid fire course included.

I don't have to change. I am a single shot kind of rifleman.

[Linked Image]
I'd go bolt, years back I bought a BAR in 243 and it worked well and shot well but the bolt handled better to me and I found I can do just fine racking the bolt so the BAR went down the road.

Dober
The guys around here use both, but on the running dogs they're using the various ARs.. A good one, with a good trigger man, will do wonders on running yotes..
Redneck, I just don't seem to have caught on to the AR-rifle thing for hunting yet! I suppose I am old school with those model 70 Winchester's for mine.

However, I have seen a few of those AR's from Rock River Arms that were shot at our gunclub and they don't take take a backseat to anything as far as tight groups goes.

The fellow yesterday (nice day too!) was shooting his and it printed groups of less than .700-MOA and his buddy managed a .560-MOA for a 100 yards. They can also shoot em fast too! This young fellow popped off 3 shots and kept them inside 1.6 inches at 100 yards. Now is this luck or what I don't know?
I could shoot the BAR fast, but I still had to reaquire the target so the bolt to me plenty quick enough..

Dober
At the moment I've got a 243 bar, and it's just as you said I can shoot it fast, and that sucker is accurate.

But I've got a tikka t3 243 that shoots cloverleafs on a bad day, so I'm thinking about getting a 25-06 for longer reach varmints.

I really don't need to move it, but I thought being a bit more open minded I might get some good ideas by sharing the question.

Spot
I like both the 243 and the 25/06 and both to me are excellent long range rigs.

B4 I bought a 25/06 to help reach things out I'd consider my scopes on my 243's and make sure they were giving me all they could to go long.

Poing being, if you're running a LRF and dotz or turrets you're set up about as good as you can be with a 243 or a 25/06.

Dober
If I was thinking in terms of multiple shots at an animal as small as a coyote, I'd be thinking AR15 with the appropriate bullet loaded.

What we could have done to the jacks back in the day in NM with an M4gery...
How 'bout a pump?

I'm about ready to do something really different for a change, and that damn 760 Skane posted pics of (from Hillbilly rifles) is still renting space in my head.

So we're way past "Gun Infatuation" at this point frown
Oh... I use a Parts Gun, on a DPMS lower ACE skeleton buttstock, and a M1Sales Ultralight upper 1:9 chrome lined barrel and RRA 2 stage on an A2 upper.

I'm thinking I'll pick up a stripped flat-top at the gunshow this next weekend and probably put a 2-7 Loopy on it.
The AR idea is a good one, I know they work on running stuff..
A AR-10 might be OK ...

the only problem with the BAR is it likes heavier bullets than I'd like on yotes / PD's...

then again a 6.5 might be the way to go - aka a 260 AR-10
Well if I was going to do Dedacated rifle for Coyote shooting, I think I would go with a tricked out AR-15 for the purpose. You can get them now that shoot very very well. And you are talking about multiple Coyote's, a Semi Auto will give you that very fast second shot.
I've got a 20" bull barrel flat top AR .223 cal. It will shoot with any bolt gun .223 and recoil is negligible. An upgraded trigger is a must for accurate shooting, especially on followup shots. In my case a Rock River National Match fits the bill.
Having said all that, last time I went yote hunting I took my 7mm mag Rem 700. What ever floats your boat. grin
Beautiful pic by the way, Savage99!
I prefer a bolt action rifle for all forms of hunting requiring a centerfire rifle. I like traditional stock angles and never got into pistol gripped anything.
Wonder what scenarshooter has to say on this topic? I've seen lots of pics of him with a bolt and non with an AR. Heard he's killed a few coyotes...
For calling rifles the AR rules in the Semi-Auto's. You can build them as light or heavy as you want , no recoil, accuracy that will rival some bench rifles and they are just plain fun to shoot. They are addictive.
I was told once and I agree that "Unless you are pelt hunting there is no such thing as to much coyote rifle." My .223 VTR is a great gun and have no problem with follow up shots. However an AR would be fun, I am trying to put one together for varmints. Think the AR would be a better choice but that's just an opinion.
I have yet to kill a coyote, but I have called a few in. They can come in so fast and so close I have felt silly holding a bolt gun. Now I will only take an AR or a long range shotgun, basically a turkey gun.

Of course my hunting grounds may be a tighter than yours.
Originally Posted by jonoru434
I was told once and I agree that "Unless you are pelt hunting there is no such thing as to much coyote rifle." My .223 VTR is a great gun and have no problem with follow up shots. However an AR would be fun, I am trying to put one together for varmints. Think the AR would be a better choice but that's just an opinion.

Yep. 155gr Sierra MatchKing on top of 72gr of H4350 out of a 300 Win Mag is a great yote load. 150gr Nosler Ballistic Tips work too.

When I'm being kind on pelts, I use a 270.
Both! I have a Ruger 77 MKII and a DPMS, but if you can get them in close nothing beats a 12-gauge!
I like both.

In fact I am in the process of havng a T3 rebarreled to 6mm Rem, which is my favorite predator cartridge. I have taken a bunch with a T3 lite in .223 though.

[Linked Image]

That being said, I find for calling (versus very long range spot and snipe type hunting)that I really like the AR.

I built a lightweight upper for general purpose hunting and coyote calling. It has turned out to be an exceptionaly practical rifle.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

AR-15's do give an edge on a bolt gun in a calling situation...

No debate about it really...

And I love my bolt guns.
Mackay,

great post.

Interested in that Tikka 6mm you are builing.

I do not mean to highjack. Perhaps you tell us more sometime?

When I get it in from rebarreling I will break the barrel in and give a report!
I take two rifles when I call, a tang safety Ruger in 220 Swift and a Remmy 7615. When the setup dictates a long shot will more than likely happen the swift gets the nod. And when in the brush the little 7615 works very well. The pump is just as fast as the AR.
[Linked Image]

Here's mine. Likes Hornady 55 grain V-Max's through the 1-8 Colt match barrel.

Fast Ed
I think a bolt is the "best" coyote gun if your real serious amd the 6mm of some kind just may be the best caliber, but he 222, 223, and 22-250 ain't bad at all....

It doesn't bother me to miss a coyote now and then, so any gun would suit me for the most part...I have shot a lot of coyotes with my 250 Savage Mod-99EG, and even more with my 25-35 SRC Win. not to mention the 22 L.R., they all worked well.
Ray,

I know you're old school in a lot of ways and that's awesome.

But to say a bolt gun is the best coyote gun if you're real serious is quite a statement...

You need to spend some time in a calling situation with a modern AR-15 sometime and you just might change your mind if you go at it unbiased...

I'd be curious, disregarding emotional reasons, why you think a bolt gun is best for the "serious" coyote callers?

I love my bolt calling guns and bolt guns in general but an accurate, user-friendly AR-15 set up for calling is just a better tool for getting critters on the ground, on average.

Thanks...
Originally Posted by GregW
I love my bolt calling guns and bolt guns in general but an accurate, user-friendly AR-15 set up for calling is just a better tool for getting critters on the ground, on average.

+1 and I'm a bolt-gun guy...
Greg is right.
Like so many questions here... it's purely a matter of personal preference -- and what's legal in your hunting area.

I'm thinking a 260 remy will have better long range umph than a 243 AR-10 platform wise.

I haven't found anything that can better a SBE for follow shots on coyotes...
55 gr. v max's thru my busmaster v match works wonders.
but,
so do 70 gr bt's from my 243 hb. i use this combo when i hunt the coyote tourney's.

numbers count, and i don't save the pelts, so the damage is mute.

i preferr an ar tho.

I need to be a better caller to really participate in this conversation. I have only gotten a handful of dogs in my lifetime. I have an AR but I seldom take it out. It seems to be a bit heavy and clumsy. Probably just not used to it. I like one of my familiar bolt action rifles to shoot off my shooting sticks.

I think it would be tough to beat an experienced shooter with an AR. They are accurate and stay on target pretty well. There is always another shot in the chamber if you need it.

Right now I want to get a load worked up for my tang safety ruger in .220 swift. I got the gun from my father when he decided he was done hunting. I would like to take it in the field with me for obvious reasons.
Ray,

You didn't think my AR was the top gun, but thought a bolt in 6mm would be the cat's arse. How about this one?

[Linked Image]

It's a 6mm and I bought it to be my coyote rifle, but it's too heavy to lug around, so I use the AR and am perfectly happy with it.

I suppose, knowing what I know now, a mountain rifle barrel contour with a Bansner's lightweight stock in 6mm would be the ticket. I do like the AR for one reason, though. The stock is adjustable and can be moved around to compensate for different thicknesses of clothes worn at different times of the year. The .223 is more than adequate, although I do agree the 6mm is in a class by itself.

Fast Ed
© 24hourcampfire