Home
Posted By: STA Mag-na-porting a Montana? - 03/21/10
All this talk about recoil and barrle jump has got me thinking about Mag-na-porting my 325wsm. Whats the negative about doing this? And can it be done as Mag-na-port International says barrels less than .130 in wall thickness are too thin for porting. thanks randy...

http://www.magnaport.com/rifle.html
I've had several magnaported and to date I've seen no downsides. Some say it increases mzl noise but I sure haven't noticed it.

It'll reduce the mzl jump to nada and make the rig so comfy to shoot that you'll wish you'd of done it long ago.

Like I said b4, if I owned a WSM/Montana that slam dunk I'd port it!

Dober
I have a buddy who posts on here sometimes, but mostly on AOD. He had his done and the only thing altered from doing so is his enjoyment shooting. His accuracy did not change at all and it tamed the rifle a whole bunch. Heres a link from his experience

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/showthread.php?t=14340&highlight=magnaport
AC-thx for the link, and I totally concur with him.

Dober
Posted By: STA Re: Mag-na-porting a Montana? - 03/21/10
Thanks for the advice! Nice place this Campfire you can get the info you need from people that have been there and done it....randy...
Randy if you do it, and I think you should but please do a careful b4 and after speed test as well. I never noticed any diff in speeds b4 and after but have heard some say it decreases speed. I don't believe it but guess one never knows..

Thx
Dober
The only downside I can think of Randy, is resale. Soemtimes guys get squirrely about holes drilled in barrels. But if you plan on keeping her a while I wouldn't sweat it. I trust my buddies testimony, he's an extremely thorough fella. If I had shot mostly 180's and or 200's in my 300WSM Montana I probably would have had it maganported too. But with 165 TSX's ,muzzle jump was quite tolerable.
Posted By: bwinters Re: Mag-na-porting a Montana? - 03/21/10
I frankly wish I would have thought of magna-porting my 300 WSM Montana before I sold it...........

I shot a 338 WM that was ported beside my non-ported version of the exact same rifle with the exact same load. The ported rifle definitely recoiled less and had no muzzle jump. The recoil reduction wasn't huge but it was noticeable when shooting 250 Nosler under a full load of H4831. The "recoil reduction" may have been the lack of muzzle jump but it is a real difference.

Please let us know how the speed clock works out and your perception of the recoil. My issue with my Montana was the muzzle jump and snortiness (tech term) of the recoil. My 9lb 338 doesn't feel as bad as the Shortie Montana.
I have a .375 H&H that is Magnaported and the felt recoil is much less than my .338 Win. Mag.
Posted By: dawaba Re: Mag-na-porting a Montana? - 03/21/10
I have 3 Magnaported rifles: a .300 WM, a .338 WM, and a .375 H&H. Since much PERCEIVED recoil comes from muzzle jump, I like these guns much more after a long afternoon at the range. But mostly, I like the aesthetics of a clean barrel profile.

Someone has said on this forum that you will lose accuracy and velocity with Magaporting. That IS NOT TRUE, with my guns at least. The .375 lost 66 fps, but I shortened the barrel by 2" at the same time.....
dawaba-I've heard it said that there's speed loss with it as well but I've never noticed it and to date non of the people who said it have ever been able to prove it to me.

I've used it off and on since the early 80's and am totally amazed at how few people will utilize it!

Dober
Posted By: shootem Re: Mag-na-porting a Montana? - 03/21/10
I've posted this before and don't mean to bore anyone, but Pro-Porting (MagnaPort for shotguns) made a real difference in a 24" barrel 10 ga BPS I have. The first 5 times I fired the gun after buying it my cheek literally swelled like I'd been in a fist fight. A lot of the problem is the sharp shoulder on the synthetic stock. Shoulder didn't feel too good either and a lot of the problem there is the piece of retread Browning calls a recoil pad. After Pro-Porting the shotgun comes straight back. You can see the shot charge wrap up a turkey's head. It'll still make snot fly out your ears checking patterns just from the recoil with 2 1/4 oz loads but muzzle jump is as close to cured as you can get. Son is the only one that uses it anymore though. Just ain't worth it to me.
Posted By: dawaba Re: Mag-na-porting a Montana? - 03/21/10
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
dawaba-I've heard it said that there's speed loss with it as well but I've never noticed it and to date non of the people who said it have ever been able to prove it to me.

I've used it off and on since the early 80's and am totally amazed at how few people will utilize it!

Dober

Yeah, Mark. Everyone seems to want to invest in brakes these days....and in hearing aids. My brother just sent his .338 WM off for Magaporting, at my suggestion. It is a rifle of known accuracy and velocity. When it comes back, we'll have another before-and-after comparison.

Dawaba,

I will almost guarantee your brother will like his 338 ported. The control he will feel will build confidence and he will have more fun shooting it, at least I did with my 2 ported rifles. I can't comment on the velocity loss, but I think there would be some as the ports start about 2" back from the muzzle. When I think about it, porting a Montana might be just the ticket as "jump" seems to be a common thread, providing the wall thickness is adequate. I could not detect any accuracy loss in my 2 rifles.
Posted By: Jeff_O Re: Mag-na-porting a Montana? - 03/21/10
What's it cost? Do they take the barrel off the rifle?
http://www.magnaport.com/rifle.html
Posted By: Syncerus Re: Mag-na-porting a Montana? - 03/22/10
I'm also a big fan. Mag-na-porting is a better mouse trap.
Posted By: Rug3 Re: Mag-na-porting a Montana? - 03/22/10

SOUND ADVICE... We take hearing protection seriously at Mag-Na-Port.

NEVER SHOOT without hearing protection for the shooter and bystanders.

These words, taken directly from the magna port site need to be taken very seriously.
I have "ported" two 12 ga and a 300 WSM T3 Tika and believe me they definitely are LOUD. My 300 WSM was most notable to me.
The recoil and barrel jump reduction was a vast improvement but when I touched off that 300 it was MUCH louder.
I really liked the difference the porting made but when I bought my 300 WSM Montana I decided to not port it because I value my hearing more then I dislike the recoil/barrel jump. Hearing protection is not one of the things I find convenient when hunting. Just not my thing, but touching off the rifle while standing under a Spruce tree just might be something I would do.
I found that after "porting" my guns they are enough louder to seriously hurt my ears.
Choose carefully, my friend. I have been shooting for over 60 years and I still have my hearing. I intend to go on shooting and hearing but both options are not open to me if I shoot the "ported" 300WSM without hearing protection.
I read those who claim to hear little difference from before porting to after porting but the difference for me is so dramatic that I will not do it again.
Choose carefully, my friend.
Jim
Posted By: Rug3 Re: Mag-na-porting a Montana? - 03/22/10
In my previous post I didn't address velocity change due to porting.
I chronograph about 80% of what I shoot from the bench and I only shot the 300WSM T3 Tika about 200 times after porting it. I found no appreciable measurable difference in velocity due to porting. My records show that with one load the highest velocity was gained after porting. The bullets were Barns 180 XLC and Barns 180 TSX. The tests were made with four different powders.
Jim
Posted By: BobinNH Re: Mag-na-porting a Montana? - 03/22/10
IMO Magna port beats MB's; it does not reduce recoil so much as it brings recoil straight back by reducing muzzle flip.We have done two rifles;my buddy's 340 Weatherby,and I did a 35 wildcat based on a blown-out H&H(in the days before the 358 STA but similar).

Neither rifle suffered from velocity loss nor accuracy at all. I think it's a good system.However,it is another opening that needs to be sealed from snow and debri entering the barrel,so I no longer use it.

As I grow more cynical,however,I am of the opinion that if you need to attenuate recoil because the cartridge/rifle is too much for you, you need a cartridge that kicks less,or a slightly heavier,more intelligently-designed rifle....not some gizmo/contraption on your barrel.

But this is tuff for some to swallow.....the recoil solution is incredibly easy to solve....stop trying to squeeze magnum-level performance in 6 pound rifles. You'd be absolutely amazed at how well this works smile
When 'magna port' first came out I though about stuff getting into the bore of my rifle and how to ever keep it out? It gave me the creeps. What about when it rains and then freezes?

Such holes in a barrel have to increase the blast back to your ears.

As BobinNH suggested above perhaps the gun kicks too much?

I got my Kimber Montana in 270 WSM out and have it up here by the computer. I know that it jumps some in my hands even in 270 WSM but the kick does not bother me. If it shot a heavier 8mm bullet it may well kick too much.

The WSM's barrel here is .560" at the muzzle and too thin for the holes in it if it were a .323" bore.

I suggest that you buy another rifle that kicks less and then sell that one if you like the new one.
Posted By: STA Re: Mag-na-porting a Montana? - 03/22/10
The recoil is not to much for me at all. Hell I shoot my 358STA off the bench and the 325wsm is no ware near that in terms of recoil. But if porting can help with barrel jump in the Montana I think it could be a good idea...
Yes,

Do the Magna Port!

When you wrote: " All this talk about recoil and barrle jump has got me thinking about Mag-na-porting my 325wsm. Whats the negative about doing this? "

I thought you were talking about recoil and barrel jump but its barrle jump.

Now I know why ................
Randy-seriously if you magnaport it you'll wonder why you didn't do it earlier.

Its good stuff I'm telling you.

Dober
Posted By: BobinNH Re: Mag-na-porting a Montana? - 03/22/10
Agree with Dober;IMO it's the best choice if a guy wants to go that way.
I know this is a really old thread, but I'm considering a Kimber Montana and also considering magna porting. How much difference in noise did you notice? Is the gun quite a bit louder? Thanks

Ryan
Posted By: STA Re: Mag-na-porting a Montana? - 07/26/12
Hello Ryan, I never got the Mag-na-porting done because the Kimber Montana barrel was to thin in 325WSM...
Thanks. Those who have magna ported smaller calibers, have you noticed an increase in noise level?
Interesting. Magnaports website says a min wall thickness of .13". So, you'd have to have 0.583" at the muzzle for them to do it to a 325wsm. What does the kimber .325 measure?
Ryan

Not a smaler caliber but had a 300wby mag done and the noise was fine as long as you are behind the gun. If to the side it is verry painful.
.558 at the muzzle I just checked it....
Good input. Thanks
Posted By: KDK Re: Mag-na-porting a Montana? - 07/26/12
Originally Posted by STA
Hello Ryan, I never got the Mag-na-porting done because the Kimber Montana barrel was to thin in 325WSM...

Crap, what am I gonna do with this?

[Linked Image]
Is that a M1 turret on a 2.5-8x36?
Posted By: KDK Re: Mag-na-porting a Montana? - 07/27/12
Yessir.
Posted By: STA Re: Mag-na-porting a Montana? - 07/27/12
How do you like it? I've been thinking about getting some M1's on my 2.5-8x36...
I'm a little ashamed to admit it, but I have only shot it once. Working out of town sucks, but at least saved per diem has bought me some cool toys (that I can't play with!).
Posted By: STA Re: Mag-na-porting a Montana? - 07/27/12
I understand... I work out of town with the railroad to damn much living in a hotel 2 or 3 days a week.. crazy . ... I'm lucky there is a rifle range with in 15 miles from my house...
I have a range pretty close as well, but I'm out of town for all but about four days a month. No bueno.
Posted By: rattler Re: Mag-na-porting a Montana? - 07/27/12
back to the mag-na-porting since its just ported and not breaked(in other words the holes are not angled back towards the shooter) why do so many say its so much louder, i cant figure out how it would be any louder than a barrel cut to the length of the edge of the first hole from the chamber end of the barrel....the gas isnt going at any different direction than out of a normal barrel, lil more is just directed straight up.....

ive got a Marlin Guide Gun thats got the older ported barrel and i hear so many others who have them claim cause of the porting they are loud....i dont think its any louder than any other short barreled rifle....is it loud with normal loads? yep but its cause of the 18 inch barrel(16 with the start of the ports) instead of the 22 inch every one is used to not cause of the porting
© 24hourcampfire