Home
I have matching Tikka T3s one blue in 6.5X55, the other stainless in 25-06.

Which would you keep for your deer killer?

I have some dies and Lapua brass for the 6.5, lots of 06 brass to make 25-06. I'm swimming in 6.5 bullets for momma's 260, and have 400-odd Hornady 100 grain spire-points I got from Midway as factory seconds, plus Barnes TSX in both calibers.

Merits or demerits on both?

I really can only keep one of the Tikkas. I'm also selling my 25-06 Stainless Ruger with 24" douglas barrel (tack driver).

Iraq led me to buying a Harley, and the Harley has me looking for ways to pay it off sooner than later.
I was going to say, keep both.. Then I read the rest..

What a dilemma.. Toss a coin??

I'd be tempted to keep the Swede, but it's a 51-49 call..
Since you did not mention accuracy (and because I have yet to see an inaccurate Tikka T3), I will assume both rifles shoot more than well enough for that to not be a consideration.

Well, since settling in Sweden I have seen a couple of tons (literally) of moose laid low with the 6.5 x 55 and I have developed quite a high opinion of that calibre.

Also, there are some excellent bullets available in 6.5mm, and since you already have 2 of them, I would give the nod to the 6.5 just to streamline your bullet inventory a bit.

Also, while a .25-06 is a fine deer killer, I would have to say that the 6.5 x 55 is a better elk & moose killer, so I would keep that one just for that little extra versatility compared to the .25-06

While I know that one does not need stainless metal to go outside (as some seem to think!), the one reason I would keep the stainless .25-06 would be if you were returning to live in Alaska or the like where rust is a really big problem.

John
6.5x55 but I have never liked the 25-06 much
I have had in the past rifles chambered in 25-06 but do not at this time. I do have two rifles chambered in 6.5x55. For me the 6.5x55 does all that the 25-05 will do and a little more. The long 140gr bullets at modest velocity will penetrate quite well. Your choice is probably a toss-up, but I would lean to the 6.5.
David - both are good rounds but since I have both I'll offer you my $.02 worth:
6.5mm Swede - used in a CZ550FS (because I've always wanted one) and the caliber is 'uber kool' in the FS. Its companion piece is a 7mm-08 Savage because I can find that round in most gunshops etc. Both good for the smallish SoFl. deer and hogs due to heavier bullet weight over .243 Win or 6mm Rem.
.25/06 purchased as a lower cost companion to my .257 'Roy' - both to be used on antelope/mule deer. Same reason as above - can usually find .25/06 ammo locally. Homesteader.
6.5x55 all day every day. It's more flexible and you can streamline bullet inventory. It's a no brainer really...

In the interest of full disclosure, I'm a slut for anything 6.5mm
Is that "Homesteader" as is stationed at Homestead?
Keep the 6.5x55. No contest.
6.5. It is everything the 25-06 is and can then step up to be considerably more. Bullets from 100 to 160 gr. and you're already set up for it. It will kill big things very effectively. I've had both (several of each) and still have the 6.5s. The 6.5x55 is simply a great cartridge.
I am completed biased towards the 6.5x55. But that's because it's what I hunt with, not anything against the 25-06 (never used one). If it were me, I'd either sell both Tikkas and keep the tackdriving Ruger 25-06 with the Douglas barrel or keep the Tikka in 6.5x55. Why?

Lapua Brass
Sharing components with the .260 Rem
Easy on the shoulder and on the barrel
Awesome sectional density and deep penetration with non-premium bullets
Classy old military caliber

But, I am biased.
Anything in 6.5 is worth keeping IMO.
Wow -- more agreement here than I have come to expect in general at the 'Fire!

John
Bought a .25-06 in the early 70's, bought a 6.5x55 about four years ago. Over the past four years, I have shot the .25-06 twice. My choice would be the 6.5. If you decide to go that way, i would like to talk to you about the 100 grain Hornady's for the .25 though.
25-06
why?
I had one and miss it.
great shooter
BTW T3 2
I'd trade into a 308 win laugh...... Honestly, I'd keep the Sweede wink
Keep the 25-06 and shoot me a pm when you are ready to sell the Swede.
Originally Posted by 264guy
Keep the 25-06 and shoot me a pm when you are ready to sell the Swede.

I call seconds.
Originally Posted by Redneck
I was going to say, keep both.. Then I read the rest..

What a dilemma.. Toss a coin??

I'd be tempted to keep the Swede, but it's a 51-49 call..

what one will do, the other will, too...

i'd go with whatever i would find the easiest to feed... as in easy to find brass and bllets...
figure available factory loads if you think that you might ever use them...

the 25-06 scores better in the convenience dept by my lights...
no doubt though that the 6.5 will shoot heavier bullets, but with a 100 TSX the .25 dog will flat hunt...
Keep the 6.5. If you have to ask that question it won't matter anyway and you'll free up the 25-06 for somebody that can appreciate the difference.
Sell the Harley, buy a Moto Guzzi...3x the bike for 1/2 the cost...and keep all the rifles.

Yes, I own a 25/06, rifles with Douglas barrels, and a Moto Guzzi (it has been in 30+ states...). But, I don't have a wife...
I like both, but prefer the 6.5 because it will handle a larger range of bullet weights...and it's a metric.
Originally Posted by BuckeyeSpecial
Sell the Harley, buy a Moto Guzzi
He's not gay, bud... laugh laugh
David - Yes. Was here with SAC in the mid'60's and relocated back.
Why pay to go see the airshows when I have them 24/7. Homesteader.
Homestead is cool.

Moto Guzzi, not so much.
Originally Posted by David_Walter
I have matching Tikka T3s one blue in 6.5X55, the other stainless in 25-06.

Which would you keep for your deer killer?

I have some dies and Lapua brass for the 6.5, lots of 06 brass to make 25-06. I'm swimming in 6.5 bullets for momma's 260, and have 400-odd Hornady 100 grain spire-points I got from Midway as factory seconds, plus Barnes TSX in both calibers.

Merits or demerits on both?

I really can only keep one of the Tikkas. I'm also selling my 25-06 Stainless Ruger with 24" douglas barrel (tack driver).

Iraq led me to buying a Harley, and the Harley has me looking for ways to pay it off sooner than later.

Looks to me like the 6.5 would be the go to caliber and the 25-06 would be the odd man out. Less bullets to inventory.
Originally Posted by "BuckeyeSpecial"
Sell the Harley, buy a Moto Guzzi...3x the bike for 1/2 the cost...and keep all the rifles.

Yes, I own a 25/06, rifles with Douglas barrels, and a Moto Guzzi (it has been in 30+ states...). But, I don't have a wife...

So you sold the wife to keep the 25-06 with Douglas barrels and the Moto Guzzi? Hmmm, interesting choice... wink
Wait, wait!

If I sell the wife, there's money for the Harley and all the rifles!

BRILLIANT!
Homestead is cool.

Moto Guzzi, not so much.
Not so, sez the BLTs in Murderapolis..

Wait, wait!

BRILLIANT!
BRILLIANT!!!
Wait, wait!

BRILLIANT!

I love it when a plan comes together!
Originally Posted by Azar
Originally Posted by "BuckeyeSpecial"

So you sold the wife to keep the 25-06 with Douglas barrels and the Moto Guzzi? Hmmm, interesting choice... wink

Hell no, the wife took the Harley smile
Nope, never had a wife....
David - what's a "moto guzzi"? Is it a drink you mix with vermouth?
Just kidding - had one of them, a one cylinder, before it dawned on me one night heading back to HAFB the only thing between me and the road was my jacket and jeans. Traded for a car. Homesteader.
I neveer took a liking to a murdercycle or donormobile as we call them in my business but am extremely fond of the 6.5x55. Mine are all M96/m38/ or m42b versions, but are scary accurate, and killed lots of moose and bear for me. I have nothing against the 25-06, just never had one because I really like my 257x57

Randy
shoot that swede with 100 grain noslers and see why you don't need the .25-06. then shoot it with 140's and see why you don't need anything else smile
6.5xSwede all the way. I'd love to have a Tikka Swede.
For the deer killer part of the equation, I'd keep the most accurate .25/06 and sell the other and the 6.5. shocked
You probably have a rifle or three that can cover larger game, and the .25 will cover deer, antelope, and caribou quite nicely.
Originally Posted by mjbgalt
shoot that swede with 100 grain noslers and see why you don't need the .25-06. then shoot it with 140's and see why you don't need anything else smile

load either with 100 grain bullets and the 25-06 eats the 6.5 alive...
load either with 120s and the same will result...

the 6.5 will handle 140s and heavier(slower still), but will not out penetrate the 25-06 with a tsx...

figure in the 75 vmax, the 6.5 is simply not in the game...

figure the very best big game loads for each, and your looking pretty hard to find any advantage for the 6.5...

'less you're counting cool factor, and i just don't....
john, that's true with the mild loadings. load them to the same pressures and watch the swede beat on the .25-06 after 300 yards of being basically the same.
75 vmax, meet 85 hollowpoint .264.

and if the .25-06 gets a TSX, put one of those in the swede, and can go heavier.
75 vmax, meet 85 hollowpoint .264.

and if the .25-06 gets a TSX, put one of those in the swede, and can go heavier.

and much, much slower....

seems like a step in the wrong direction... bigger load, smaller motor...
keep the Swede
Originally Posted by BIGF00T
keep the Swede

absolutely nothing wrong with the swede...
john, the data printed for the swede is archaic and includes a large "pad" of safety for the old actions.

i have a swede built on a m98 action and shoot it at modern pressures and it will do much much more than most imagine. it will fling a 120 as fast as a .270 will throw a 130, given same pressure and barrel length.
.25, .26, or .27, they're close enough to be in the same class...
the 6.5 is a cool old round, but has NO advantage over others of it's class with bigger motors... on either end of the spectrum...

if a guy wants something, he just wants it... reason enough for him to acquire it, if he's able...

the -06 based cartridges mentioned above DO have distinct ballistic advantages...

i'm guessing that the OP is well aware of what each cartridge will do... my first post advising the 25-06 was based on convenience and availability of components...
i avoided the ballistic superiority of the cartridge intentionally, as it's not truly germane to the choice, for the stated purposes...

i do have a bit of difficulty letting bullshit ride, though... and any claimed ballistic advantage for the swede is just that...
john, that's true with the mild loadings. load them to the same pressures and watch the swede beat on the .25-06 after 300 yards of being basically the same.

come on...
you may have to do some homework, most ballistics websites have only the data listed for the mild loads. try norma's website maybe.

i have to admit to being a little annoyed with the "bullshit" label, i could have thrown that out about you but chose to listen respectfully.
ok, hodgdon's website says IMR4831. 48.5 grains, 120 grain bullet, 2913 fps.

so we're within 100 fps of a .270 with the same length barrel and 130 grain bullet.

the .270 is listed at 130 grain bullet at 3085 at the fastest. this is non-TSX for both.

you may have to do some homework, most ballistics websites have only the data listed for the mild loads. try norma's website maybe.

i have to admit to being a little annoyed with the "bullshit" label, i could have thrown that out about you but chose to listen respectfully.

all right then partner... you load yours, i'll load mine...
where you're getting more performance from a cartridge with 15% less powder capacity than the 25-06, with the same pressures is beyond me...

out of "respect", post your loads, velocities, load densities and chamber pressures....
rephrase. the .264" bullet is a tiny bit better at very long ranges. wasn't saying there is some huge difference, thought we were doing theory here. smile

and i posted loads from hodgdon above your last post.
Dude..go metric!
6.5 over 25 in this case...
Make him happy, mjbgalt -- get one chambered in 6.5-06, and then his arguement goes away. laugh
was thinking i would maybe chamber my new savage in 6.5-06 but i still need a varmint rifle.
25-06...because it is stainless.
Originally Posted by BuckeyeSpecial

+1
© 24hourcampfire