Home
Posted By: JMR40 Husqvarna 308 - 04/16/10
About a month ago I was looking through the used gun rack in a gunshop about 300 miles from home and found a Husqvarna rifle in 308. The wood is nice, the checkering is somewhat worn from honest use. I'm guessing the barrel is 20-21" long with iron sights. It had a cheap throw away scope on it. The rifle just felt good.

I know next to nothing about these rifles except that they are highly thought of by many. Asking price is $450. I will be back in the area next week and if this is a great deal I may consider buying it. If it is still there. At this time of year chances are good it will be.

Opinions please!
Posted By: rrogers Re: Husqvarna 308 - 04/16/10
The husqvarna rifles i have been around have been decent shooters, but not tack drivers. Even the crown grade 300 wm and 270 shoot well enough for a hunting rifle but not match grade by any means. If it were me I would probably buy it and use it as a donor for a custom rifle in 7mm08 or 260, but that is just me. Nice mauser action rifle all in all.
Posted By: MarkR Re: Husqvarna 308 - 04/16/10
I bought my son one in 270 he has shot a lot of game with it, he's used it from Alaska to South Africa the last couple years.
Posted By: Grasshopper Re: Husqvarna 308 - 04/16/10
JRM,

If the rifle in question has a 20.75" bbl and is fairly lwt, it sounds like to me it's the M-4100 Lwt. The same rifle was imported by Smith & Wesson as the model "B" or "C" depending or whether or not it had a Monte Carlo stock. If indeed that's what it is, it will have a schnable forend. If so, you have found a rare treasure. If you do buy it and decide to rebarrel, I'd be very interested in the take-off barrel. I have one in .270 Win and one in .30-06. The '06 doesn't much thrill me, and I'd much rather it was a .308... blush

Edw
Posted By: GeoW Re: Husqvarna 308 - 04/16/10
Grasshopper, I picked up a NIB "B" in 308 a few years ago. Box is no good but rifle is unfired still. It is a treasure. About the dimensions of a Model 7 or a bit slimmer.
I kinda thought the action was the 1640.
g
Posted By: Biathlonman Re: Husqvarna 308 - 04/16/10
I believe the 1640 and 4100 are the same action, with some slight differences in stock configurations. I've been searching high and low for a nice one, $450 is a very fair price if it is in good shape.

Posted By: JMR40 Re: Husqvarna 308 - 04/16/10
It does have a Schnable foreend. I did not measure the barrel, but I could tell it was less than 22" based on the fact it was shorter than other guns in the rack that I know are 22".

I take it that $450 would be a fair price. If I buy I would probable leave it as is. The Trashco scope would be gone and I may just use it with the factory irons.
Posted By: drducati Re: Husqvarna 308 - 04/16/10
I've had 3 of them going back into the 1930's an all have been marvelously accurate.
Posted By: StrayDog Re: Husqvarna 308 - 04/16/10
It sounds like a great buy! You may want to have the action bedded to the stock for improved accuracy but the .308 is not hurt much by short barrels.
Posted By: Biathlonman Re: Husqvarna 308 - 04/16/10
Buy it, if you don't like it throw it for sale here in the classifieds, I'm sure one of us will buy it. wink

© 24hourcampfire