Home
Pick one for all around hunting.Rifles are moot just the cartridges.Factory ammo don't apply either.It just handloads.
STW smile
7mm STW.

But I'll always choose the cartridge with the larger capacity over the one with less.
I can always load the STW down to 7mm-08 levels but cannot load the WSM up to STW levels.
Originally Posted by nsaqam
7mm STW.

But I'll always choose the cartridge with the larger capacity over the one with less.
I can always load the STW down to 7mm-08 levels but cannot load the WSM up to STW levels.

Exactly. The STW can do everything the WSM can do, but not the other way around. If it quacks like a duck...
Never had either one, but I think for me the 7mm STW would be good.
I would prefer the 7 WSM in a short action. If using a M70 platform with an STW the long mag action (375 H&H length) is needed.
Although the WSM recoil is slightly more than a 7RM it is also a little hotter with a noticeable amount less recoil than an STW.
Make mine a STW.... In a M70 Classic....
It recoils less because it pushes a bullet slower than the STW.

Hated my 7WSM.

For that matter I hated all my WSM's
Either one imo!..........The 7 STW averages (in round #s) about 200-250 fps above the 7 WSM.

In this case, I would be more concerned a choice of a rifle format preference than with the cartridge; long action, short action, rifle weight, length, etc.

Even though the STW out performs the WSM, in all reality, there is really nothing that the STW can do that the WSM cannot do given the same shooting distances on game.

Like comparing a 300 Win to the 300 RUM. If one can`t get `er done with a 300 Win and feels the need for a 300 RUM, that`s not saying too much for the one behind the rifle.
Originally Posted by STA
Make mine a STW.... In a M70 Classic....
Can't rebarrel a M70 300 Win mag it will be too short, needs a 375 H&H length magazine and action.
i built the stw so that is way i would pick
Easy - neither. 7mm Rem Mag.
I have one, so...Mr Stewie for me, no brainer.

what's the kicker Mike?
i think what one will do, the other will also do. i'd suggest getting the rifle you like the best and just hunt.
STW.

I have had several different 7mm's over the years and the STW is at the top of the list as far as I am concerned.
STW here.
How can you ignore the rifle, 7STW?

Well... within your parameters there's only one choice. 7 STW.

But if we DON'T ignore the rifle, I'd rather have a Montana in 7 WSM than a big ol' heavy 7STW for general hunting use.
How bout a 358 STW?? grin
358 was the STA (Shooting Times Alaskan), same case as the STW. IIRC.
A 358 STW would be too much rifle for you Tom.

(grin)

I'll be the odd man out and go with the 7WSM.
I've never owned a 7 of any sort but 160's out of a 24" barrel at 2950-3000fps wouldn't suck.

A 7 STW would be pretty fun though I bet!
STW. If the rifle becomes a factor, WSM.
i have or had all three: 7mm WSM, 7mm STW and 7mm RM

for maximum effort at any cost, 7mm STW for sure.

for the 'ol "get ammo at the mom&pop" the 7mm RM

for the mountain rifle, 7mm WSM in a Kimber Montana.

but personal taste trumps all...
Originally Posted by tdbob
STA, that sounds right.
Originally Posted by SamOlson
A 358 STW would be too much rifle for you Tom.

(grin)

Lol, your probably right.
Without any actual parameters as to what rifle it will be in, or even what game will be hunted or targets shot at, a prudent choice is impossible.
I had a 7 WSM and a 270, I found that with the 7 short mag I could run 160's at 2950 which is pretty much what I can run the 150's in my 270 so for me.....I'd go with the bigger 7 the STW.

I use a lightweight 270 and my 7 Mashburn Super is a heavier platform and an excellent long range rig (not that my 270 isn't).

Dober
I own a 257 stw and a 7 stw so its pretty easy for me to pick which way to go here. And by next year at this time I will let you know how the 6.5 stw does.
7 RUM...just sayn' whistle
Originally Posted by Tom264
Originally Posted by tdbob
STA, that sounds right.

The .358STA would be a fine choice... grin
225gr TSX @ 3100fps
or
280gr A-Frame @ 2850fps
should get it done.....with very little recoil.....
I wouldn't feel undergunned with either one. Give me the WSM. I like the WSM package in a M70.
Originally Posted by gunnut308
7 RUM...just sayn' whistle

Me three, but the STW would be a CLOSE second place.

I already load for and shoot the 338 version of it (7STW) and have been stockpiling 8mm RemMag cases so ammo would be a snap. Also have a few 300RUM cases left over though from my last one of those....

If I ever feel like I need to reach out and touch a deer past 500 yards I will set aside my 257WBY and build either the 7STW or RUM. Have zero use for any of the WSM or RSAUM's.
I've owned and shot the 7mm STW within months of Layne Simpson's first article on it. I still own it.

I have never been disappointed with it's performance - but I can say the same for my 7mm-08 - which I like much more.
Originally Posted by BCBrian
I have never been disappointed with it's performance - but I can say the same for my 7mm-08 - which I like much more.

I built a 7 Dakota thinking it would be the ultimate hunting rig. It breathes fire at the touch of the trigger. I much prefer my Sako 85 Finnlight 300 WSM. It's light, effective and more gun than I will ever need.
© 24hourcampfire