Home
I found a NIB one, but have seen a lot of posts about bad 7MM-08 barrels.

Anybody have a bad one? A good one?

Thanks in advance.
I would. I just traded for this .257 which was not bedded from the factory. First trip to the range:

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...224182/gonew/1/257_Montucky_SUCKS#UNREAD
Let me say that I don't know about all the stories regarding accuracy and I don't own one but would like to one day. I'm sure there is some truth the poor accuracy issue, how much is anyone's guess..

I've seen alot of good groups posted on here that were shot by Montana rifles. That makes me feel better about them.

I do love the 7/08, so worse case scenario is you have to stick a new tube on it. I'd buy it if the price was right, especially if it's new in the box. That means it's not a dog that was traded back in.

JM
With the problems I had with my Montana and with a 1911, I will never buy another Kimber product.

The above statement is sad in some ways since I really liked the fit and feel of the Montata alot but could never get it to shoot under 3 to 4 inches at 100 yards... and that was after sending it back to Kimber due to the chamber being so tight i could hardly even chamber a round

The price really isn't too right, until you compare it to the other 5-1/4 pound rifles out there that have a quality stock. Then it looks pretty good.

Carlos -
I read your post on the 257 with great interest, as that is another caliber I would like to have, but since I have a 250 Savage in the stainless Ruger RSI it just doesn't make as much sense for me.

I have had other Classics and Montanas in 308, 338Fed, 270WSM, 300WSM, and 325WSM, and have been pleased with the performance so this really isn't a "should I buy a Kimber" question, but should I buy a 7MM-08 Kimber. I've seen some posts about bad 7MM-08 barrels.

I planned on getting an 84L in 270Win. but I am impatient, and I figure I may have years until a Montana 84L finally available.
No...... don't say "years" for the 84L, that is far too long to wait!
I've never owned a 7mm-08 but I had two 308s. A classic and a montana. Both were great. I had issues with the scope bases on the classic, but that was about it.

My buddy runs a classic in 7mm-08 and has had no problems. It shoots as well as either 308 that I had.
I have a Montana in 7mm-08 that will shoot 140 grain Barnes in factory loads less than an inch all day long. I have a new classic select in 7mm-08 on the way!
I did.

Won't be selling this one as very, very happy with it. smile
Heard many of the same stories about the 84s in 260 Rem. I picked up an older two position safety version in 260 at a rather low price. Figured at that low a price it was worth the risk. It's not a tack driver but it out shoots my Rem Model Seven.
I say go for it!
I bought one and don't regret it a bit.

Mine is pretty particular about bench technique, which was frustrating when I was learning about it. And it is more particular about bullets than I would like. But in the end I have a rifle that is tough as a pine knot and as easy to carry as anything I have shouldered. I bought the thing for bad weather and mountain hunting and it fits the bill perfectly.

That said I would never take an unrested offhand shot of any length without some doubts in my mind. It is damned tough to hold steady and I refuse to use military slings and other 'hard to implement in the field' tricks. For this reason if I could only have one rifle it would be my other Kimber, the 30-06 which is a good pound and a half heavier. A 100 yard offhand shot with it is a complete layup. No doubts of any kind.

Would I recommend a 7-08 Kimber? You bet, but only if you know the weaknesses of hunting with a rifle that is about 6 pounds all up and accept them. For most hunters I would say buy a wood stocked 06 as the all around rifle.

Will
Will,

Have a Kimber Montana and I fell into the trap of believing that you needed extraterrestrial bench technique. With the Kimber I do, but off the bench it shoots consistently good.

Then I got a Nula which is even lighter in 7mm-08. No special out of the ordinary technique required to make it shoot great. Beyond the obvious of being put together with better tolerance, I'm still trying to figure it out. Off hand works fairly well also. Balance is the only thing I can guess.
I had an earlier used one, bought used, in 7mm08 that would not shoot better than 1.5" and often 3". I didn't try to bed it or troubleshoot it. Just sent it down the road and then bought one used here in 308 that is a 1" gun and sometimes a bit under. I wouldn't spend more than $850 for one so you can get your money out of if you want to send it down the road. The only one I would get is a 308.
I'd buy another 7mm-08 Montana if the price was right. The one I had was a POS, but I ended up with a NIB .223 Montana as a replacement from Kimber for my troubles, so I won't bittch too loud.
Your gonna get a bunch of My Kimber will shoot dime size five shot groups and is bullet proof stories, but I've also read many Kimber horror stories too, for Me Kimber rifles seem like too much of a crap shoot, It's your money and you might get a good one, who knows till You try, but for My money I'd spend it elsewhere.......I did own one Kimber mod 84 in .308 win. and it was an OK rifle, (not the best rifle I ever owned by a long shot)............Good luck................Hillbilly.
Originally Posted by WhelenAway

Thanks in advance.

if you want a real lightweight rifle buy it.

It may only like a few bullet weights, specific bullets or one-two powders. I don't rest it very far out toward the tip of the fore end as the fore end flexes, I use a soft front rest, you need to be very consistent in your bench technique because after all its a 5 pound rifle with a 3-4 pound trigger pull and un forgiving to a fault, slapping the trigger will screw you up every time with this rifle. Actually they are a REAL pain in the arse to shoot off the bench for me a heavier rifle is so much easier to shoot groups with. Mine shoots 3 inch to 3/4 inch 5 shot groups depending on the load! Also the barrel heats up pretty fast so you have to go slow. The only thing I really like about them is that they are a dream to carry and then they seem to work well when actually hunting with them. I have not had any of the misfeeds the earlier ones had. Even my 300WSM can shuck a second shell pretty fast in real life action.

I had a Montana in 7mm-08 and it was a real joke for accuracy with any of the loads I tried. Kimber wasn't a big help so I sent it on down the road and bought a Sako and have never looked back.
Originally Posted by WhelenAway

Thanks in advance.

I wouldn't buy one sight unseen... I'd make sure it has the newer, shallower feedramp with "ships bow" in the middle of the ramp (small "hump" to facilitate straight feeding into the chamber for either side of the rails).

The early ones had a flat, steeper ramp and don't feed as well as the newer ones.

Just saw a TC G2 Contender(rifle) at local gun show in 7-30 Waters(120 grain Nosler BT= does it all). Sweet rig. Kimber is just o.k to me.
Originally Posted by cointoss
I had a Montana in 7mm-08 and it was a real joke for accuracy with any of the loads I tried. .

I had the same experience - tried recrowning it which helped slightly. Also had feeding problems with the top round from the mag. Eventually sold it.
Oddly enough I found out that the Montana that I have was not bedded, the 84M Classic Select I had was, although it needed a little bit of tweaking. Wonder how many needed bedding and no one did it or it was done incorrectly?

I any event I've only owned two Kimbers and both have shot just fine.
© 24hourcampfire